Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Cooking, Food, Drinks

Cooking, Food, Drinks Family Reciepes, Traditions, Tip-n-Tricks, Advice, Help, or anything that has to do with food and cooking.

Old 08-30-2013
Veterano

Default Re: GA's Beer Thread

Lot of good beers posted on here. I've been a fan of various Dog Fish beers. Their seasonal Pumpkin Ale is one of my favorite but hard to find. I got a couple of 120s I'm my fridge just letting them sit until I can get my hands on more
Old 08-30-2013
Fresh Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto Quintero View Post
I fucks with Indio in Mex...it's the cheapest and strongest. Plus, last time I was up there if you brought in like 5 bottle caps you get a caguama for like ten pesos. Shiiet...
Not really...Corona is way cheaper then Indio and so is Carta Blanca and Tecate but then again i guess it depends what part of mexico your in. As far as strongest i know it's not Victoria and Corona (REAL CORONA not that water they sell in the US) are both stronger then Indio.

Indio is a tasty beer though thats for damn sure and before they stopped producing and brought it back 5 months later it was much better.
Old 08-30-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-TOWN View Post
Lot of good beers posted on here. I've been a fan of various Dog Fish beers. Their seasonal Pumpkin Ale is one of my favorite but hard to find. I got a couple of 120s I'm my fridge just letting them sit until I can get my hands on more
I read that Dogfished brewed/released their last batch for the yr (120) last wk. And we just got it down here today, just FYI, in case you want to cop some more, be on the lookout, down here those things go like hot bread down here
Old 08-30-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonez956 View Post
I read that Dogfished brewed/released their last batch for the yr (120) last wk. And we just got it down here today, just FYI, in case you want to cop some more, be on the lookout, down here those things go like hot bread down here
Cool... Yeah I'm gonna try to start scoping the places I frequent to see if they have any on the shelves... I've yet to taste one since its extremely rare. The two bottles in my fridge are reserved for special occasions. On the other hand. I'm real fond of Avery beers. Their dark porter Mephistopheles comes in about 16.2% it pours like syrup
Old 08-30-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Cool... Yeah I'm gonna try to start scoping the places I frequent to see if they have any on the shelves... I've yet to taste one since its extremely rare. The two bottles in my fridge are reserved for special occasions. On the other hand. I'm real fond of Avery beers. Their dark porter Mephistopheles comes in about 16.2% it pours like syrup
Ive had it once, actually IMO drinks more like a barleywine than an IPA, dont know if it was the aging though, I had it cellared for around a yr. I think Ill have one of my "fresh" ones this wkend.
Avery has good stuff, never had the Mephistopheles though. Really dig their Joes Premium Am Lager. One of the best "session" beers Ive tried. Their Salvation is also pretty good as well.

Have you ever had their Rumpkin?
Old 08-30-2013
Veterano

Salvation is great. I've tried the Mahiraja.. The was pretty interesting. There are quite a few local breweries in the DFW that have some good brews. I've tried one called Numb Comfortable... It's like a barley wine that rings in at 12% it's been a few years since I had a domestic beer. I'm a big fan of Belgian trippels..
Old 08-30-2013
Miss Mod
Veterano

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 08-31-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape ape View Post
love this ish:

Argh not a fan of lambics. Something off putting about those.

Quote:
I'm swimming in their pumpkin ale. Its okay to me but not one of my favorites. That 120 tho? Jesus thats some serious shit. Jelly you got a few. I'm on the hunt right now for those.
Old 08-31-2013
Veterano

dog fish noble rot is pretty good.. Right now since slim at a little hole I. The wall playing a poker tourney I've downgraded to bud. Yeah I'm still waiting to pop a 120 open but until I get a few more. Until then they will just age in my fridge since the bottle says you can sit on them for years
Old 08-31-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
dog fish noble rot is pretty good.. Right now since slim at a little hole I. The wall playing a poker tourney I've downgraded to bud. Yeah I'm still waiting to pop a 120 open but until I get a few more. Until then they will just age in my fridge since the bottle says you can sit on them for years
Yet to try that.

LOL dude, I'm on miller right now (by choice). Its all good. Gotta be coherent to savor that good stuff.
Old 08-31-2013
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Sippin on Lagunitas lil sumpin sumpin
Old 09-01-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Salvation is great. I've tried the Mahiraja.. The was pretty interesting. There are quite a few local breweries in the DFW that have some good brews. I've tried one called Numb Comfortable... It's like a barley wine that rings in at 12% it's been a few years since I had a domestic beer. I'm a big fan of Belgian trippels..
Ive been iffy about trying the Mahiraja, even though Ive heard from people down here its great. Have you tried the Kaiser? That one Im really curious about, Avery has great stuff, and Id liked to try their take on an Imperial Oktoberfest. Cant seem to find it down here though, but I dont know if it simply hasnt been released yet.

Ive only been to 2 breweries in TX, and both are south of civilization
Old 09-01-2013
Veterano

Never heard of Kaiser.. but open to try a new one. I will keep an eye open for it. We have a lot of stores up here that have aisles dedicated to independent crafted brews so its easy to skip one.. Definitely open to more dogfish 120. If I can score a handful I'm down to send one your way
Old 09-01-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto Quintero View Post
Sippin on Lagunitas lil sumpin sumpin
That's a good choice .. Lagunitas made one called Hairy Eyeball a while back.. I think it was limited release since I can't find it no more
Old 09-02-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Been trying some new and revisiting some old. Forgive the potato camera.

Starhill Boxcar Pumpkin Porter. I enjoyed this one a lot. Though not very pumpkiny', I'm considering buying a few for the season.

Uinta Punk'n. Eh, glad I only got a single.

Devils Backbone Ichabod Crandall. First time being able to get this and I was very excited to try it. It was... okay. Way too light.

Saranac Pumpkin Ale. Eh, glad I only got a single.

Evo Jacques Au Lantern. More spices than pumpkin but I will definitely get it again. Easy to drink and has a lot of flavor.

Blue Point Pumpkin Ale. Eh, glad I only got a single.

Dogfish Head Punkin. Revisited this one. I had it a few years ago and remembered not liking it. It is pretty damn good. Up there in the top 10. Will get a 4pk for sure.

Elysian The Great Pumpkin. Fucking awesome. Top 5 for me. Everything I've had from Elysian has been fantastic.

So anyway a lot of these shitty pumpkin beers would be better off being called harvest beers. There is literally no trace of pumpkin in some of these.

All I know is my pumpkin beer top 5 list is pretty stable right now. The thing is once you've had enough shitty fucking pumpkin beers you realize how good some of these really are.

1. Southern Tier Pumking. King for a reason.
2. Schlafly Pumpkin Ale
3. Elysian The Great Pumpkin
4. Heavy Seas The Great'r Pumpkin
5. Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale

The rest kind of move around depending on my mood.

6. Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin
7. Dogfish Head Punkin
8. Elysian Nightowl/Dark o The Moon
9. Terrapin Pumpkinfest
10. Harpoon's Imperial Pumpkin.

We'll see what happens when Southern Tier's Warlock hits my area.
Old 09-02-2013
Veterano

Great picks.. Some interesting pumpkin ales I haven't tried. I can't believe you got the dog fish already. Seems they are rolling out early. I'm curious to try the Ichabod Crandall. I suggest trying Real Ales Devils Backbone. It's a great tasting Belgian ringing in around 8%. I haven't been disappointed with anything Real Ale has put out.
Old 09-02-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Never heard of Kaiser..but open to try a new one. I will keep an eye open for it. We have a lot of stores up here that have aisles dedicated to independent crafted brews so its easy to skip one.. Definitely open to more dogfish 120. If I can score a handful I'm down to send one your way
We get limited stuff down here, but Im glad to say Ive tried some really great beers ... Dont know if the 120 comment was meant for me or Cal? But I actually just had one of mine, big difference between the "fresher" one and my yr old one I had about a month ago, the older couldve easily been mistaken for a barleywine, this one is way crispier and hoppier of course, Im completely amazed by it. You shouldnt be dissapointed by it at all.
Quote:
Great picks.. Some interesting pumpkin ales I haven't tried. I can't believe you got the dog fish already. Seems they are rolling out early. I'm curious to try the Ichabod Crandall. I suggest trying Real Ales Devils Backbone. It's a great tasting Belgian ringing in around 8%. I haven't been disappointed with anything Real Ale has put out.
Real Ale is one of my favorites breweries nation wide. They put out really good quality stuff, and their Devils Backone in amazing. Ive been getting some of their Brewers Cut beers, their Imperial Red Ale and their recent Kolsch are darn good.

Currently having a http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/158/20931.
Yet another amazing beer, its a Barleywine, with a mix of Imperial or Red Ale. Great flavor, and super smooth. Great Divide is another brewery that Im def loyal too.

@ Cal, fuck your Pumpkin Beer diversity
Old 09-03-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
Yeah man pumpkin beers were being released here in late July. The Dogfish had their Punkin release 2 weeks ago so I'm sure it will be down your way soon. Southern Tier's Pumking if also finally coming down to Texas so if you see it, grab it. Some Texas folk on BA reported seeing it. I know Total Wine will get it.

And yes sir I've tried Real Ale's Backbone. It was very nice.

Quote:
@ Cal, fuck your Pumpkin Beer diversity

I still have like 15 more to try (though I'll probably won't).
Old 09-03-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post

I still have like 15 more to try (though I'll probably won't).
Did you ever try that pumpkin beer cocktail thing you showed me a video of?
Old 09-03-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
Did you ever try that pumpkin beer cocktail thing you showed me a video of?
You know we tried it and it was pretty good. My ol' lady enjoyed it more but I could deal with one here and there. I'd definitely use a Blue Moon Pumpkin for it. My coworker gave me a Shocktop Pumpkin today. Never had it so we'll see. I'm expecting really thin and light.
Old 09-03-2013
Maestro

Quote:
You know we tried it and it was pretty good. My ol' lady enjoyed it more but I could deal with one here and there. I'd definitely use a Blue Moon Pumpkin for it. My coworker gave me a Shocktop Pumpkin today. Never had it so we'll see. I'm expecting really thin and light.
I just had my last Terrapin last night. Good stuff, maybe just a tad light but nothing to complain about. Good blending of flavors. Btw that Old Ruffian was the bomb! A hoppy barleywine, it blow your mind LOL.

@ Cal and DTwn, found The Keiser I was talking about. Def a great beer, and def a buy again. One of the best Oktoberfest's Ive had, granted its an Imperial OF so its a little diff that the regular Marzen, but hands down an awesome beer.
Old 09-04-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
I just had my last Terrapin last night. Good stuff, maybe just a tad light but nothing to complain about. Good blending of flavors. Btw that Old Ruffian was the bomb! A hoppy barleywine, it blow your mind LOL.

@ Cal and DTwn, found The Keiser I was talking about. Def a great beer, and def a buy again. One of the best Oktoberfest's Ive had, granted its an Imperial OF so its a little diff that the regular Marzen, but hands down an awesome beer.
Yep its a lighter pumpkin but you need it sometimes. That along with Elysians Night Owl are my light stand ins. Everything else is pretty much imperial, lol.

I just saw that Old Ruffian. May pick it up. We don't get Avery around here. Pfft.
Old 09-04-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Yep its a lighter pumpkin but you need it sometimes. That along with Elysians Night Owl are my light stand ins. Everything else is pretty much imperial, lol.

I just saw that Old Ruffian. May pick it up. We don't get Avery around here. Pfft.
Def recommend the Ruffian, and thank God, I thought we were the only ones that got royally fucked w/ craft beer
Old 09-05-2013
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

i was just in Asheville North Carolina this weekend... and there's so many damn good micro breweries there...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 09-13-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Heavy Sea's The Greater Pumpkin. Fuck this years version has gotten so much better (it was already very good). I'm not sure if they changed the bourbon barrels they use to age in or what but there is a prominent bourbon note throughout. Other years it was there but much more subdued.