Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Religion

Religion Discuss your opinoins, faiths, beliefs, doubts, and/or philosophy.

Old 05-07-2014
Estudiante

Default Study: Hispanic Catholics are shifting beliefs

Carlos Saucedo, KXTV 8:19 p.m. PDT May 7, 2014

Hispanics in the U.S. are going through a shift in their religious identity. A majority of Latinos are still Catholic, but many are turning away, according to a study released on Wednesday.

"My parents are Catholic so I became Catholic," Sacramento resident Angelica Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez was raised in the Catholic faith and now she's continuing the religious tradition with her own three daughters.

While a majority of Latinos like Rodriguez are Catholic, the numbers show a shift.

A poll done by the Pew Research Center shows that in 2013, 55 percent of Hispanic adults identified themselves as Catholic. That's a large decline from 67 percent in 2010.

At Our Lady of Guadalupe Church in downtown Sacramento, all masses are conducted in Spanish.

"I really don't see numbers reducing, to the contrary," Father Rodolfo Llamas said.

Llamas was brought in by the diocese two years ago to reach out to the Latino community. Llamas said on Sundays, they see close to 5,000 parishioners. However, he does admit the church is going through a change.

"I wouldn't say that the church is in crisis," Llamas said. "I would say it's purifying itself."

According to the study, Hispanics leaving Catholicism tended to either become evangelical Protestants or religiously unaffiliated.

"This phenomenon is not only in the Catholic church. I think it's in all the religious experience," Llamas explained.

While people continue to leave the church, Catholic leaders said they are certain only the true faithful will remain.

http://www.news10.net/story/news/fea...olics/8831201/
Old 05-08-2014
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio
Default Re: Study: Hispanic Catholics are shifting beliefs

Its a good thing. To bad most are going to another christian denomination i would guess.
Old 05-09-2014
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
Its a good thing. To bad most are going to another christian denomination i would guess.
I would have to agree.

Raza aren't thinking outside the box if they go to a Judeo/Christian/Islamic belief system.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 05-11-2014
Chicle

"Nearly all religion was brought to people and imposed on people by conquerors and used as the framework to control their minds. My main point here is that if you are a child of god and god is a part of you, then in your imagination god is supposed to look like you and when you accept a picture of the deity assigned to you by another people you become the spiritual prisoner of that other people".-Dr. John Henrik Clarke

Tags
catholics , hispanic , shift