Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Cooking, Food, Drinks

Cooking, Food, Drinks Family Reciepes, Traditions, Tip-n-Tricks, Advice, Help, or anything that has to do with food and cooking.

Old 07-13-2010
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to brownxicana Send a message via Yahoo to brownxicana
Default Cheap Dinners

Just curious, What type of dinner do you make or buy for when you are trying to save money or are low on funds? And have a family to feed. Im looking for ideas because we spend way to much on food. Any ideas without boring my family with the same ish everynight??
Old 07-13-2010
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio
Default Re: Cheap Dinners

You can spread out the servings more if they are mixed up. Like instead of eating steak, you cube it up and add like mushrooms or potatoes to it, then put it over rice.

Things usually last longer when you dice them up and maybe make a sauce to go with it.

I say this, because you can buy like the family pack of steak and usually make 2 if not 3 dinners with it, if you cube it up.

Doesnt have to be just steak either, could use pork chops, or the cheaper of cheaps, hamburger meat. For something different try the eckeridge sausage.

Doesnt always have to be rice. Could be some other type of pasta, just made differently then boiled. Like fideo. And to even go cheaper then fideo, buy bulk spaghetti or angel hair and use that instead.
Old 07-13-2010
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

pasghetti.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 07-13-2010
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

like nelio said, chopping it up and cooking it is a good way to get 2 or 3 meat servings out of 1. cooking a caldo or stew would easily get you a few extra servings.

I am assuming you already smart shopping: Checking out the sales in newspapers buying a lot and freezing. Buying in bulk, using coupons, buying generic brands.

For meat, the sales in newspapers is key. You might also buy the cheaper meats. The reason they are cheap and people won't buy is because the cheaper meats are tougher to cook. Learn how to cook these meats(tenderize them, slow cook, adding the right spices) and you'll be saving money.
Old 07-13-2010
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

I'm glad I don't have to go grocery shopping for a big ass family...

I don't eat much meat so I usually just buy a lot of vegetables and fruits, cereals etc.

Usually, only buy turkey for sandwiches and about 8 dollars of chicken per week. the money i spend on meat is like 10-12 bux per week.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 07-13-2010
Veterano

I would assume you shop at the commissary? That's key for savings right there, isn't it? Or at least it use to be. As far as making it last - I totally agree with Nelio and SJ - they both had some really great suggestions .. also if you like chicken, it's a cheaper way to go - my family happens to NOT like it, as in at all, so it's not even an option

You can make out a list of what you'd like to make each nite (like a menu) and that helps, too, to save!

I dunno, it's hard here with us, cuz we're all so picky and almost none of us like or can eat the same foods .. for example, in December my youngest daughter had oral surgery and had all of her teeth removed (she's 5yrs old) so I cater to what she can and will eat and foods that are good for her .. things like that .. I'm basically a salad eater - only .. but my son won't eat what he calls "grass" - he LOVES meat meat meat .. Guero doesn't care alot for most meat but likes beans, rice, eggs, potatoes, red salsa meats, and things like that and I won't touch none of the above ..

If it has tires or testicles,
it's gonna give you problems
Old 07-13-2010
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to brownxicana Send a message via Yahoo to brownxicana

Thanks guys, that helps a lot.

And Dannie we do that majority of our shopping at the commissary and as far as price it seams to be the best way to go.

I dont have a big family to cook for there are four of us one of which is only coming up on a year so thats a whole different menu. lol . I love veggies and love meat too., My husband on the other hand is not really a fan of veggies. Im not a big chicken fan, i used to be but seams like during and since my pregnancy i can only tolerate it once in a while.
Old 07-13-2010
Estudiante

Pasta is always cheap and can feed a lot of people
Old 07-13-2010
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

i knew nelio would be in here posting
Old 07-13-2010
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Damn right son.
Old 07-14-2010
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

fry up some dinosaur eggs...

Old 07-14-2010
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

nelio u ramen noodle w/sliced hot dog eatin' mofo
Old 12-17-2010
Estudiante

I usually invent stuff. If there is food in the fridge and some vegetables I will throw something together. I notice that a lot of people tend to think they have nothing to make meals out of but really it is just about getting creative. Some substitutes that use when i don't have the main ingredients are ham for flautas instead of chicken. I also like to make meals with meat only a couple times a week so vegetables go a long way. A really good meal I like is mixing zucchini, tomato, and onion in a pan with some rosemary. I add crema and cheese on top and it is really good. Another meal is slices of potatoes, parsley ham, cheese, and layering it. Adding a cup of milk and letting the potatoes get soft. Or even with top ramen, adding some cilantro and lemon or some celery makes it taste way better.If you have a canned soup like tortilla soup, italian wedding soup, chicken noodle, you can use just one can and add something like noodles or just some pasta and chicken stock and it makes a good meal. It saves so much money by just eating dinners without meat and finding alternatives to meals that include some type of meat. Vegetable Stir fry is also a good option.
Old 12-17-2010
Gunner

two words.... taco stand
Old 12-17-2010
Director

Sack of beans, a couple packs of tortillas, and a big bottle of Tapatio.

Last edited by CaliPac; 12-17-2010 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2010
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Many nights I've had just beans with some chilito and tortillas. Not the worst...
Old 12-18-2010
Gunner

You might find a lot of savings in cutting out junk food. We become conditioned into buying desserts,soda (different types of junk food).

Beans
Rice
Sunflower seeds and peanuts in bulk
Tea (or just plain water) instead of synthetic stuff ( capris,koolaid etc)
Make your own snacks at home

To save even more money you might wanna dumpster dive which would save you quite a bit.
Old 12-18-2010
Veterano

I must say you wetbacks are damn good about coming up with cheap, affordadable but imaginative dinner alternatives. Your the best at it.
Heres mine for this week.
Chicken pot pies with rice.
Cook the rice and put it on a plate then bake the damn pot pies and when done plop it upside down onto the rice. Voila! Spreads out the meal. Pretty damned good. Baldass Nelio was right. Rice with any meal expands the meal and you get more servings out of it.

Bone Meter: 31

Shes a superfreak! Superfreak! Shes superfreaky...yeah!!!

'She put a spell on me!!"
Old 12-20-2010
Estudiante

Quote:
Originally Posted by demon View Post
I must say you wetbacks are damn good about coming up with cheap, affordadable but imaginative dinner alternatives. Your the best at it.
Heres mine for this week.
Chicken pot pies with rice.
Cook the rice and put it on a plate then bake the damn pot pies and when done plop it upside down onto the rice. Voila! Spreads out the meal. Pretty damned good. Baldass Nelio was right. Rice with any meal expands the meal and you get more servings out of it.
That sounds pretty good

I was looking at books online and there is a book of 101 ways to cook ramen noodles.
Old 12-20-2010
Veterano

Thats pretty good but now I feel like such a loser because I think Ive already ate them about 90 of those ways.

Bone Meter: 31

Shes a superfreak! Superfreak! Shes superfreaky...yeah!!!

'She put a spell on me!!"