Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Education

Education A place where students of any grade or anyone doing research can ask for assistance or guidance. Working on a project... share your progress.

Old 09-18-2008
Prospect

Default Help Please!!

Alright, I have and English class and this is the assignment. Seriously, no le entiendo ni madres so if any of you know what the hell my teacher is talking about let me know Please!!!

Annotations #1 & 2

Annotations are two-three FULL page (NOT INCLUDING Works CITED AND/OR TITLE PAGES. MUST BE DOUBLE SPACED AND 12-inch Times New Roman FONT) personal but critical responses to books, articles and essays you read concerning Research Subjects that you may be writing your Research Paper on.

Some of their purposes are:

1. to provide you with bibliographic information about the work.
2. to encourage you to think about what you read, see, or hear and formulate supported opinions about it
3. to distinguish between good work and bad work and to acknowledge that as
critical reader you can learn as much from bad work if you can articulate why the
work is bad.
4. to provide you with a record of your reading for future reference
5. to prompt clean, clear, and interesting discussions for your own writing

Annotations will differ from the more detailed essays you might write setting out to discuss a particular issue or theme in a literary work, in that the annotation focuses more on your general response to the work from any number of points of view -- writer, reader, witness to contemporary events.

Consider including the following in your annotations:

1. use the first person
2. make statements about the writer's intentions regarding arguments, discussions and persuasions
(focus on the area that most interests you and/or is the most innovatively handled)
and give enough examples to enable you to recall the point you are making when
you reread the annotation five years from now
3. draw connections between what you read and your own life. Are arguments, discussions, persuasions and information applicable to today's world? How and why?
4. draw connections between the work in question and other work you've read.
Comparing and contrasting styles, treatment of subject, etc. helps you learn more
about each writer and his or her work and points to potential trends.

For this class you need to hand in two annotations, one from a primary source and another from a secondary source. You may keep the annotation specific to one argument or discussion if you find it worthwhile to focus on it for your own research. Feel free and I encourage you to use sources that will be in your own Research Papers.

Articulation is a learning process and discoveries are often made in the process of writing about material that would otherwise be lost in silence. One really "knows" an argument or discussion when the reading is supported and extended through the writing process.
“People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed. Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

Tony Robbins
Old 09-18-2008
Veterano

Default Re: Help Please!!

cool, can I take this class?

you should look up the words you dont understand - google them and find examples on-line
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 09-18-2008
Prospect

Well the teacher did give me an example pero no se what topic to write on. From what I understand she wants us to write about something we have experience first hand but also something that another writer has written an article about and give our opinion on that writers opinion if we agree or we don't.
“People who succeed have momentum. The more they succeed, the more they want to succeed, and the more they find a way to succeed. Similarly, when someone is failing, the tendency is to get on a downward spiral that can even become a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

Tony Robbins
Old 09-18-2008
Veterano

well, in your vast knowledge of what you have read - have you and a writer ever experienced the same thing?
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 09-27-2008
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to moralygray

I don't know where you are with your assignment, but it seems apparent to me, based on your post that you seem to have quite a bit of experience with, well partying...There I said it.

Anyway I am honestly not trying to be critical; in fact on the contrary I am trying to be helpful...you professor asked you to write about something you have experience in, and you have for all intents and purposes. You have been experimenting in a study of social interaction & behavior every time you club or party with ppl you are aware of how they interact with others and do so while they as well as you are under the influences…

I know your thinking, how does that help me….

Well as far as articles and research; All be it informal, there has been a relevant amount of stuff written about those types of experiences that you can refer to in your assignment

Check out the writings of Hunter S Thompson…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson

Perhaps there is a frame of reference there that you can use in your experiences as oppose to his in his experimentation with Human social interaction

anyway just trying to help…
Old 09-27-2008
Director

Why do you ask your professor?

" What is past and cannot be prevented should not be grieved for" - American Indian Proverb

nighter1 debunks his own post

nighter1 cannot answer my question - OWNED.

nighter1's display of stupidity: Calls Black Taco's 'Racist'
Old 09-27-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

sounds cool. I might just do this assignment, just for fun.