Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Anything that doesn't quite fit anywhere else. This is usually where the chisme can be found!

Old 03-26-2008
Gunner

Exclamation How would you react?

Inspired by Obsessions post, a George Lopez episode (where he finds out he has a sister), and a conversation in class....

Ok how would you react if you were adopted (and didn't know it)...growing up thinking you were of whatever race your adoption parents were...and then come to find out you were adopted and of a completely different race you thought you were?

Example: being adopted growing up thinking you were white..and then find out you're actually Mexican.

-Would you be disappointed?
-Would you be angry?
-Would you actually be proud of being whatever race you found out you were?
-Would it take some time getting use to the idea?
-Would you defend both cultures?

This was an interesting conversation we had in class...and I'm interested in seeing your guy's reactions.
Old 03-26-2008
Maestro

Default Re: How would you react?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTOWNMAMI239 View Post

-Would you be angry?
I wouldn't be disappointed if I found out I was really of a different race. How can you be disappointed with who you really are? I would be more disappointed that no one told me for so long. I'd be angry at my family for keeping something like that.

I can't say I would be proud of my new-found race automatically. For example, I'm not proud of being brown just for the sake of being brown. I'm proud of it for specific reasons, and these reasons have evolved over the years in different ways. The same would be true if I found out I was something else. It would take time.

Defend the cultures? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean, if someone is making racist remarks about these cultures, would I speak out? When someone is making racist remarks, I say something anway, regardless of whether it is my background in question or not, so I guess that would be a "yes," too.

Good Q.
Old 03-26-2008
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professora View Post
Defend the cultures? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean, if someone is making racist remarks about these cultures, would I speak out? When someone is making racist remarks, I say something anway, regardless of whether it is my background in question or not, so I guess that would be a "yes," too.

Good Q.
Yes that's part of what I meant in the question. And also kind of meaning would you be proud to represent both cultures?

Wow thanks for your response.

People in class had different responses..and well I just thought I'd bring up the same question here on Soy .
Old 03-26-2008
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to LW_INA170 Send a message via MSN to LW_INA170 Send a message via Yahoo to LW_INA170

irdk.......

i think i would have mix feelings.... anger fury sadness... surprising..

xanga
..DONT EVEN TRY TO ASK MY ASL PUNKS!!
...."TIME IS MONEY BITCHES!!"...
..oh yeah!!... theres nothing wrong with having a lil' D SH!T in U!
Old 03-26-2008
Prospect

Depends on how big the lie was. Like, if your dad is actually your stepdad and you don't know it, and it turns out your half white. And that your real dad lives close and has a family.... that'd be pretty weird. I'd probably get pissed off at everyone and need some time alone to think things through.
Old 03-26-2008
Banned User
Chicle

Quote:
Inspired by Obsessions post, a George Lopez episode (where he finds out he has a sister), and a conversation in class....

Ok how would you react if you were adopted (and didn't know it)...growing up thinking you were of whatever race your adoption parents were...and then come to find out you were adopted and of a completely different race you thought you were?

Example: being adopted growing up thinking you were white..and then find out you're actually Mexican.

-Would you be angry?

This was an interesting conversation we had in class...and I'm interested in seeing your guy's reactions.
idk....it'd be interesting to see how obssession feels!!!
Old 03-26-2008
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to jose

Reporter: When asked why he would leave his wife after 19 years of marriage Mr Bigsby replied " Because she is a nigger lover".

Ahh classic.

Man I think I would just be beyond confused, Probably angry
Old 03-26-2008
Maestro

Well I was adopted at 13 weeks old by a loving awesome Mexican family along with my twin sister (even though dad wanted a boy and a girl). I am Chumash Indian and Irish, the social workers had to inform my parents that we were not of mexican decsent....and I did know the better untill I was 6 and it was hard because I did understand the jist. Having to grow up in an enviroment where everybody looked different and were mean cousins stated "We do not need to be nice they aren't real family' prepared us for the real world...grrrr. However my parents went the extra mile by having the actual social worker come and speak to us about our bio family (all they could legally) They took us to the rez and aso bought books on irish ancestory. I am proud of who I am I have no confusion whatsoever however in my heart I am mexican....after all my first idioma was spanish then english I have been raised in a mexican environment. I am not angry I feel blessed to be a part of 2 great cultures plus the added bonus of being raised mexican and with such an awesome pr of great parents who actually gave a shit.
Old 03-26-2008
Banned User
Chicle

^^^what a wonderful family raven!!!

you are a spectacular woman!!
Old 03-26-2008
Maestro

[QUOTE=sunsagleaming;861242]^^^what a wonderful family raven!!!

you are a spectacular woman!! [/QUOT
Hardly spectacular! I have had my moments! The sense of either belonging to neither here nor there. But you grow past it, you learn to listen and learn because everybody has a distinct story. It is easy to judge by behavior but you never know what is behind the behavior, it would be easy to blame Mexicans Native AMERICANS...This is relatively easy but it is better to be hasty to sit back and observe what actually drives the machine. Every single person on this board has the ablity to make choices. They can feel sorry for themselves for what they do not have or they can be thankful that they actually have choices no matter how hard it is to obtain them.
Old 03-26-2008
Banned User
Chicle

[QUOTE=raven116;861253]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsagleaming View Post
^^^what a wonderful family raven!!!

you are a spectacular woman!! [/QUOT
Hardly spectacular! I have had my moments! The sense of either belonging to neither here nor there. But you grow past it, you learn to listen and learn because everybody has a distinct story. It is easy to judge by behavior but you never know what is behind the behavior, it would be easy to blame Mexicans Native AMERICANS...This is relatively easy but it is better to be hasty to sit back and observe what actually drives the machine. Every single person on this board has the ablity to make choices. They can feel sorry for themselves for what they do not have or they can be thankful that they actually have choices no matter how hard it is to obtain them.
^^thats true....it is a hard thing to remember at least for me, that there are choices...it's just going to be tuff.

at least i realize now there is NO magic age where suddenly my life would magically be the way i envisioned it to be.
Old 03-26-2008
Maestro

[QUOTE=sunsagleaming;861276]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raven116 View Post

^^thats true....it is a hard thing to remember at least for me, that there are choices...it's just going to be tuff.

at least i realize now there is NO magic age where suddenly my life would magically be the way i envisioned it to be.
You are correct. But your gut instinct is the first line of defense. Suns....one thing I have learned in this life is that you can never control others but you can control yourself, you can control your reaction, your non-reaction your position
and this will serve you well as far as your intregity is concerned.
Old 03-26-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Yes that's part of what I meant in the question. And also kind of meaning would you be proud to represent both cultures?
For example, if I found out I was half Chicana and half Japanese, I would not go around pretending to be only Chicana. (I actually know a lot of people who do this sort of thing, especially in academia. They think it gives them some sort of "street cred"--if you can even have such a thing in a university setting. I've seen people drop the last names they've used all their lives in favor of using their mother's Mexican maiden name--stuff like that. I think they think it will sell more books.)

My answer to your question would be "yes," but only after I had some time to get used to the newly discovered culture.
Old 03-27-2008
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven116 View Post
Well I was adopted at 13 weeks old by a loving awesome Mexican family along with my twin sister (even though dad wanted a boy and a girl). I am Chumash Indian and Irish, the social workers had to inform my parents that we were not of mexican decsent....and I did know the better untill I was 6 and it was hard because I did understand the jist. Having to grow up in an enviroment where everybody looked different and were mean cousins stated "We do not need to be nice they aren't real family' prepared us for the real world...grrrr. However my parents went the extra mile by having the actual social worker come and speak to us about our bio family (all they could legally) They took us to the rez and aso bought books on irish ancestory. I am proud of who I am I have no confusion whatsoever however in my heart I am mexican....after all my first idioma was spanish then english I have been raised in a mexican environment. I am not angry I feel blessed to be a part of 2 great cultures plus the added bonus of being raised mexican and with such an awesome pr of great parents who actually gave a shit.
Wow Raven...that's awesome that even though you know you're not really mexican...you're still proud of it. I like the statement where you said that in your heart you are mexican. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-27-2008
Mocoso

Why are you giving options of reactions?
Old 03-27-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Wow Raven...that's awesome that even though you know you're not really mexican...you're still proud of it. I like the statement where you said that in your heart you are mexican. Thanks for sharing.
You welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator View Post
Why are you giving options of reactions?
It was meant for suns she knows what I am talking bout.
Old 03-27-2008
Banned User
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to Observer

If I found out I was black, I'd probably have a hard time dealing with it.
Old 03-28-2008
Veterano

wow good story raven. thats sad how you said your cousins were not accepting. that must've hurt like hell.

if i found out i was of another ethnicity... i would be purdy shocked. people have always said i look like anything but mexican so i've always wondered if there is a mix somewhere down the line. most of my family looks mixed too . some say my mom and tias look hawaiian, flipino, my dad arabic lol.
i would accept it. i like seeing observing other cultures. Especially their dances.
i love my own culture and miss it a lot being out here. so there's no way i would turn my back on it.
- SD (Butterfingers)
Soldier is my crazyyy freak
SJ is my favorite mod!
Old 03-28-2008
Estudiante

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUGZ642 View Post
This reminds me of that movie where the zebra thought he was a horse. poor lil zebra he was so conufused...

anyway's I find it hard to beleive that something like this could happen seeing that most mexican's look mexican. but if it did happen i wouldn't care as long as the parents respected me and my ethnicity.
^lol @ the zebra

if i found out i was half japanese, to me it would make a lot of sense. lol

well i think if i found out i was of another ethnicity i would be a little sad/confused but i really would still consider myself mexican because in all reality, i was raised mexican, with the tradition and culture and language. i wouldnt be able to represent my other half, be proud of it? well i would need to learn more about it, and kind of be around the culture to really appreciate and love it. you know? and about the remarks, yes, i would speak out.
Old 03-28-2008
Maestro

i wouldnt be surprised... my dad was a man whore... from what i know i have 7 half bro n sis... never met them though.... i think there's more
FUCk

Old 03-28-2008
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZBROWNEYES View Post
i wouldnt be surprised... my dad was a man whore... from what i know i have 7 half bro n sis... never met them though.... i think there's more
...lol
Old 03-28-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
If I found out I was black, I'd probably have a hard time dealing with it.

I would off myself, just one less in the world
Old 03-28-2008
Banned User
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to Observer

Old 03-28-2008
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post

Haha

I guess i would just have to embrace my black side. I would start shacking up with a very overweight and humble looking white woman, Quit my job, play X-Box all day and borrow her car for hours on end. You know Black people shit
Old 04-03-2008
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to lonelyloca

Quote:

-Would you be angry?

i dont think i would be able to say well ill react certain way...

cuz it depends how u were brought up....
what values u have and it depends on so many things....

so i would say "kien sabe?"

SOY's ORIGINAL LONELYLOCA!