Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Community > General Discussion

General Discussion Anything that doesn't quite fit anywhere else. This is usually where the chisme can be found!

Old 05-05-2007
Gunner

Exclamation What do you consider our Society???

Well I came upon this question the other day while discussing it in class.

I think today's society has become obsessed with materialistic things. I've seen people that can't get by their day without their electronic agenda, cell phones, ipods, laptops..etc. I've noticed that our way of living has developed over time with all these gizmos and gadgets. I'm not gonna say it's a bad thing because it isn't, we've progressed immensely through out time. We've been able to find better cures for many diseases thanks to all these new electronic devices. But I've also noticed that we've been criticized pretty harshly by older generations. Many generations say that we now have it easy. I understand where they're coming from..they didn't have all these elctronics out on the market back then. They were all able to manage fine without cell phones, ipods..etc. So with that said, they tend to say we've become overpowered by all of these things. I see it as a bad thing that they criticize us this way, because thanks to all of these things we've been able to find cures, detect diseases..etc..things they would've never imagined of seeing if it wasn't for all these devices. But I also do agree with them to one point. I've noticed almost everyone now has atleast one thing that I've mentioned above. Many people can't seem to go without their cell phone for 1 hour...which is not a good thing. I mean how would our world be if we still didn't have these things?

Why have we grown very obsessive over these sort of things?
&
Do you think that today's world should be criticized for being materialistic?
Old 05-06-2007
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio
Default Re: What do you consider our Society???

Cell phones, ipods, beepers, dvd players, microwaves, ect, did not give us cures for any diseases, not in the least. Not many electronics did much of anything to add to cure for diseases.

The older generation is right to an extent. It really is not about having it easy so much as having over needed luxury's.
Old 05-06-2007
Maestro

1)

mmm mayb because the mentality that has been "feed" 2 us??....idk...I know i b seeing all these folks with like 2. 3 ipods and my ass can barelay afford a fourth of an ipod...let alone all the dam downloading.......but idk why some of us have become this way...

2)
In a way yes...especially those "rich" folk that b having everything....making niggas like me jealous...,....naw but on the real....I feel sometimes we do need 2 b critized...but idk aint no1 perfect and aint no1 subject 2 judge but God so simon...idk if i made sense like i mostly dont tend 2 lol pero simon....
Old 05-06-2007
Banned User
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTOWNMAMI239 View Post
I don't think society "obsesses" over these things.

Quote:
Yes and no.
Old 05-06-2007
Travieso

“Many generations say that we now have it easy. I understand where they're coming from..they didn't have all these elctronics out on the market back then.”

I believe you’re confusing two different issues.

Older generations aren’t that concerned about “all those electronics.” They are concerned about how easy it is now in the sense that We Chicano/as’ were powerless before civil rights legislation of the 60’s with: no leadership; no access to government programs; no access to college/universities; no descent employment; no chance for advancement; et/c, etc/, and etc.
Old 05-06-2007
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
Cell phones, ipods, beepers, dvd players, microwaves, ect, did not give us cures for any diseases, not in the least. Not many electronics did much of anything to add to cure for diseases.

The older generation is right to an extent. It really is not about having it easy so much as having over needed luxury's.
I know cell phones and all those things didn't give us cures for diseases. What I meant was that all these advances in technology did. Sorry if you misunderstood me. I guess I didn't explain myself well enough. My bad.
Old 05-06-2007
Estudiante

1. i do think a lot of people do obsess. i know so many kids at my high school that cant go 1 period without textin someone or leavin class to answer a phone call. thats the only real big thing i see nowadays.

2. yea i think we do. like many have said before, the older generations has had it completely different that we do now. we have gownn use to gettin everythin we want now. like speeds on a computer and food... and all of us have become impatient (oh and im just generalizing, sorry, i know i shouldnt but ...yea.)
Old 05-06-2007
Gunner

Yea I know what you mean. My friend practically had to break her dads electronic agenda so that he would spend time with the family. He was way too obsessed with it and his busy schedule at work. I can't believe people like this. But oh well I guess that's their job.
Old 05-06-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Yea I know what you mean. My friend practically had to break her dads electronic agenda so that he would spend time with the family. He was way too obsessed with it and his busy schedule at work. I can't believe people like this. But oh well I guess that's their job.
Way I see it our jobs should never get in our way of our kids, fam, homies, ect....money is important yes...but never important enough 2 where u put every1 else aside....
Old 05-06-2007
Gunner

Yeah I get what your saying...unfortunately not everyone thinks like that.
Old 05-06-2007
Estudiante

well yea i see that too but what do u guys think about doctors and nurses and jobs like that? they are usually on call and spend long hours too.
Old 05-06-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Yeah I get what your saying...unfortunately not everyone thinks like that.
simon simon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Dreamer View Post
well yea i see that too but what do u guys think about doctors and nurses and jobs like that? they are usually on call and spend long hours too.
true....and the world needs dedicated ppl like that...pero I think that most ppl like that....nurses, doctors, ect.....do it 4 the money sure...but do it more 4 the ppl kno wwhat i mean...but yea it can cause conflict in the fam...and even make them feel like theyre rejected...at times like those i really dont know what 2 say...cause both r important the fam and our ppl...so idk....
Old 05-06-2007
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

We're brainwashed since infancy to buy shit we don't need. To be comfortable with brand names through their cute commercials...to buy buy buy on holidays, and buy early! Sure through word of mouth this can be helped, but the media surely does worsen everything. Music, Movies, general TV all focus on the material aspects of life, and show no signs of doing otherwise.
Old 05-07-2007
Gunner

Quote:
I mean how would our world be if we still didn't have these things?

&
I don't see the point in criticizing society for using those tools. What's the gain? Technology evolves with the needs of society, it's not going anywhere. Really, how would not having cell phones, pda's, ipods, etc. make life any better? If you're suggesting that people are obsessed with money then that's not something that's exclusive to this generation.

You mentioned your friends Dad being obsessed... that's not an obsession with technology. His commitment (right or wrong) is there. Harder, better, faster, stronger... that's just life, you adapt or you fall behind.
Old 05-07-2007
Gunner

I know what you mean, and I understand where you're coming from. It's good to see your guy's opinions on this topic. I was just wondering what other people's views on this was, since we had a discussion about it in one of my classes last week...Yeah I agree with what alot of people here have been saying. But everything has it's advantages and it's disadvantages. Just like everything else in this world. I just thought it'd be a good topic to talk about. Glad to see everyone posting their views.