Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Education

Education A place where students of any grade or anyone doing research can ask for assistance or guidance. Working on a project... share your progress.

Old 01-11-2005
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to EsaVero Send a message via MSN to EsaVero Send a message via Yahoo to EsaVero
Default The American Dream....Help me out please!

Okay well heres whats up..I have a project in English class where i have to interview people about their views of the "American Dream"...I will ask some questions and I just need some people to answer them for me please...thanks

What is your name?

How old are you?

Where do you live?

Where where you born?

How long have you been living in the U.S.?

What do you think of the school systems in America?(the area you live in)

Must you be well educated in order to pursue the "American Dream"?

What kind of education if any is needed to pursue the American Dream?

Do you have children?

Are children part of the American Dream?

Must you have a nice home?

Must you be married?

Have a high paying job?

Do you have to be rich?

Do you think the American dream is materialistic or a personal goal? Why?

Is the American dream for everyone?

Have there been famous people who have accomplished the American Dream?

What do you think of politics in relation to the American Dream? What kind of effect do they have on it?

What about the economy?(same question ^)

Do you think the American Dream was established when America was first settled?

Do you agree that America is considered "the Melting Pot? Why or why not?

What does the American Dream mean to you?

I think thats all I can think of right now...if you have anything else to add please do...and if you dont want to answer some questions thats fine too... ohh yeah..and im supposed to ask for permission to interview you so...do i have your permission to interview you?..hehe..
Old 01-11-2005
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to LatinKing Send a message via Yahoo to LatinKing

I'll answer but..........whats the american dream? lol

Old 01-11-2005
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to EsaVero Send a message via MSN to EsaVero Send a message via Yahoo to EsaVero

Thats what im trying to find out...it all depends on the person...for example some Mexicans come from Mexico in order to make money...that to them could be the American Dream...others think it is to be happy(Ex. wife and children)..i found this on a website...."The American Dream is "that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. It is a difficult dream for the European upper classes to interpret adequately, and too many of us ourselves have grown weary and mistrustful of it. It is not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely, but a dream of social order in which each man and each woman shall be able to attain to the fullest stature of which they are innately capable, and be recognized by others for what they are, regardless of the fortuitous circumstances of birth or position."
Old 01-11-2005

YEA WAT IS IT BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT VIEWS N WAT IS DA AMERICAN DREAM...

BUT ILL TRY TO ANSWER U...

1. DAISY
2. 16
3. CARPENTERSVILLE, IL
4. BORN IN CHICAGO, IL
5. ALL MY LIFE
6. THEY SUCK TOO MANY VIOLENCE IN OUR SKOOLZ
7. I GUEZZ U SHOULD
8. HIGH SKOOL COLLEGE UNIVERSITY
9. NOT YET
10. --------------------------
11. NO U COULD HAVE A CRAPPY AZZ HOUSE BUT TRY UR HARDEST TO ACHIEVE DA AMERICAN DREAM
12. U COULD BE SINGLE UNLESS DAT IS INCLUDED IN DA DREAM
13. WELL DAT DEPENDZ IF U GOT A GOOD EDUCATION DEN U MUST GET A WELL PAYED JOB
14. I DONT THINK SO BUT DAT CAN BE INCLUDED IN DA AMERICAN DREAM
15. I THINK ITZ A PERSONAL GOAL U SET FOR URSELF LIKE MY AMERICAN DREAM WOULD BE TO LIVE IN DIZ BIG HOUSE HAVE A GOOD JOB LIVE A GOOD LIFE
16. YEZ IT SHOULD BE
17. ------------------------------------------------
18. -------------------------------------------------
19. -----------------------------------------------
20. ------------------------------------------
21 ------------------------------------------
22. ------------------------------------------

WELL DATZ ALL DAT I COULD ANSWER EVEN THOUGH MY ANSWERZ WERENT DAT GOOD....HOPEFULLY DIZ HELPED
Old 01-11-2005
Chicle

Thanks a lot Lil_dreams_x3!! I appreciate it!
Old 01-11-2005

UR WELCOME MIJA
Old 01-11-2005
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to vchavoya Send a message via MSN to vchavoya Send a message via Yahoo to vchavoya

If you still need more people to interview.. I'll answer your questions.

1. Verenice
2. 18
3. Los Angeles, CA
4. Oregon, USA
5. All my life (18 yrs).
6. The school systems in America are ok, but it's extremely hard for most people to be able to achieve higher education.
7. It depends on what the person thinks their "American Dream" is.
8. Depends on the person.
9. No.
10. In my case, yes.
11. Yes.
12. Yes
13. No
14. No
15. I think it should be mostly a personal goal because material things don't make you happy. It should be your financial stability.
16. No
17. Maybe
18. Don't know
19. Yes because there are many cultures in the United States.
20. The American Dream doesn't really exist for me. Even though, I did answer your questions regarding the American Dream, I don't think that it constitutes as my American Dream, but as my own personal dream of how I want my life to turn out.

HOpefully, this helps!! Good luck!
Old 01-11-2005
Chicle

Muchas Gracias Verenice!
Old 01-11-2005
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

THE AMERICAN DREAM IS A CROCK. BUT THATS MY OPINION.

you csan be anybody and have it, all uyou have to do is want to conquer everythign and everyone. forget who they are and where they came from, just come in and claim everythign as yours, and then make it so. that is what the american dream really is. that is what it was founded upon .

like i siad, it is a crock. what the hell are schools teaching these days.
Old 01-11-2005
Prospect

What is your name? Cristina

How old are you? 17

Where do you live? Arizona

Where where you born? Long Beach, California

How long have you been living in the U.S.? All my life

What do you think of the school systems in America?(the area you live in) My school is cool, i love the teachers, they are really good teachers.
Must you be well educated in order to pursue the "American Dream"? Any one can pursue the American Dream, my parents achieved it, they didnít have much education, back them in mexico they had to pay, they live a happy life now.

What kind of education if any is needed to pursue the American Dream? You just need good knowledge of life and how you want to run it.

Do you have children? no

Are children part of the American Dream? Children and everyone else are a part of the American Dream, they are our next generation following ours, they will make a difference in this world.

Must you have a nice home? No, as long as you are satisfied with what you have around you or your family, it would be nice to have a nice home, unfortunatly that doesnít happen for everyone thats why most people dont believe in the american dream

Must you be married? No, if you live fine by yourself, then its good, if you feel lonely and need someone they thats all on you, being married doesnít have nothing to do with the American dream

Have a high paying job? Good question, a high paying job would be good, but doesnít happen for everyone.(good money gets you what you want in life, expect for happiness)

Do you have to be rich? Who wouldnít whant to be right, i sure would, but iím not, and neither are my parents, but i am satisfied and iím sure other people who arenít rich are living very happy. There are some people who live right and just hate their life, so it has its good and bad sides of being rich.

Do you think the American dream is materialistic or a personal goal? Why? I think the American dream is a personal goal, because if you really want a happy life, its something that you want and you want to achieve, its a goal. If you really want to have this happy american dream, you want to do something about, and get out in life, and work hard for it.

Is the American dream for everyone? The American dream is for everyone, although most people donít believe in it, it is for everyone.

Have there been famous people who have accomplished the American Dream? Iím sure there have been many famous people, people who came from nothing, from living in the streets. Like some singers, they get recognized by the people and they sign them up for records or movies.

What do you think of politics in relation to the American Dream? What kind of effect do they have on it? Politics has a pretty good role in relation to the American Dream, you know like the types of programs they have to help people who have no jobs like welfare or something. they give them money while they look for a job. But there also some negative sides of politics, for example they setup like laws that wont let certain people do stuff they want, like people who aren't from this country.( I could really go into this but anyways, next question)

What about the economy?(same question ^) If the economy is a good one then no problem, but if it isn't then it will be hard to achieve the American Dream.

Do you think the American Dream was established when America was first settled? Yes, i think it was established when America fist settled, people came to america for freedom they wanted to start their own life and not be controlled by some king. Many people didnít have those right in their country, so many people came to america to set themselves free.Do you agree that America is considered "the Melting Pot? Why or why not?

What does the American Dream mean to you? The American Dream means that people live happy, they enjoy living here in america, although there might be violence and other stuff, America isnít perfect, nobody is. The american dream is a goal many people can achieve so they will live in happiness. Its happiness to me.

Sorry if i misspelled any words, i was kinda typing fast. Well i hope this helps you.
Old 01-11-2005
Mocoso

Send a message via AIM to GrUmPyS_NeNa Send a message via MSN to GrUmPyS_NeNa Send a message via Yahoo to GrUmPyS_NeNa

What is your name? MARIA

How old are you? 15

Where do you live? EL CANTON DE MIS JEFES IN SD COUNTY

Where where you born? SAN LUIS POTOSI

How long have you been living in the U.S.? SINCE I WAS 2

What do you think of the school systems in America?(the area you live in) THEY ARE OK EXCEPT FOR THE FACT THAT THEY AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME MEXICANS ARE STUPID

Must you be well educated in order to pursue the "American Dream"? YOU DONíT HAVE TO BE WELL EDUCATED YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE KNOWLEDGE BUT BEING WELL EDUCATED HELPS A LOT

What kind of education if any is needed to pursue the American Dream? I DONíT KNOW

Do you have children? NO

Are children part of the American Dream? YES BECAUSE THEY ARE THE FUTURE

Must you have a nice home? TO LIVE THE AMERICAN DREAM YES

Must you be married? NO

Have a high paying job? PREFERABLY

Do you have to be rich? IN TODAYS SOCIETY YES

Do you think the American dream is materialistic or a personal goal? Why? ITS MATEREALISTIC B/C U HAVE TO HAVE NICE THINGS INFRONT OF YOU TO SHOW YOU THAT YOU TRULLY ARE LIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM

Is the American dream for everyone? ITS THERE FOR EVERYONE BUT NOT EVERYONE CHOOSES TO ACCOMPLISH IT

Have there been famous people who have accomplished the American Dream? SUPPOSIBLY

What do you think of politics in relation to the American Dream? What kind of effect do they have on it? POLITICS IS PRETTY MUCH TELLING PPL TO GET A GOOD EDUCATION SO THAT THEY CAN GET A BETTER JOB HOUSE ÖECTÖ

What about the economy?(same question ^) ECONOMY HAS A LOT TO DO WITH IT B/C THE MORE CURRENCY YOU HAVE THE BETTER OFF YOU ARE IN OTHER WORDS IF U HAVE DA LANA YOU LIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM

Do you think the American Dream was established when America was first settled? NO

Do you agree that America is considered "the Melting Pot? Why or why not? YES CUS WE ALL MELTING IN A POT LOL NAW I DONíT EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

What does the American Dream mean to you? THE AMERICAN DREAM TO ME IS TO BECOME WELL EDUCATED AND LIVE A HAPPY LIFE WITH ALL THE ďFREEDOMĒ AMERICA OFFERS

I THINK I GOT THEM ALL HOPEFULLY I HELPED ALTHO IT PROBABLY DOESNT MAKE SENCE TO YOU PERO IT DOES TO ME AND THATS WHAT COUNTS ALRATOZZ IM OUTZZ
Old 01-12-2005
Chicle

Thanks so much to you guys that answered ..im off to do my essay..