Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Current Events > Politics

Politics Politics and anything related to Political talk.

Old 03-06-2013
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan
Default If you thought it was Bad

It's a lot worse actually..

Don't know whether to be pissed or depressed or both..

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 03-06-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_
Default Re: If you thought it was Bad

Yup this is what I learn in social work. I made a post about this information on facebook saying the following:

Quote:
In ONE DAY a CEO will make DOUBLE a YEAR'S SALARY of minimum wage earner. This is sickening. We NEED to raise the minimum wage, like pronto.
Here are some comments that people posted:

Quote:
If a CEO had double the amount of college, I don't see why that isn't fair.
Because everyone who has a lot of college makes a lot of money... mhhmmm keep thinking that sweetie

Quote:
If something goes wrong in the company, the CEO has a very high chance of losing his job (even if it's not his fault). If a minimum wage person does something wrong (actually his fault) he will probably get a slap on the wrist.
It usually works the other way around, minimum wage people are replaceable.

Quote:
Everyone has the chance of becoming a CEO, look at Bill Gates. College helps, and if someone pays to go the college and gets a BS, BA, Masters, or PHD, they deserve whatever salary they'll receive because they put the time and effort into receiving that salary. So it's totally UNFAIR to cut someone's salary merely because someone else is making less than them. To the person making minimum wage, get up and go to college and notice a salary raise. Don't bitch about life being "unfair" because you won't change anything about your situation.
Quote:
It's the natures of the job. You can't pay someone 50k to run, for example, a Whataburger. You can't. That isn't the nature of the job. Raising up the wage a little wouldn't hurt, that I can agree with. (Wont happen anytime soon since it just happened, but that's raise the point) However, you can't compare a CEO of a company to a minimum wage worker of any sort because their job entails cole tell different things. It's apples and oranges. I'm all for fair pay but you can't compare those two

Disturbing I know.

Old 03-07-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Its not as simple as 'increasing minimum wage'.
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jcpenn...140801863.html

Here is a prime example of what contributes to this.

You have a CEO, who runs into the ground what up to then had been a troubled but stilll profitable company, making millions of dollars and when he gets shit canned (which is in the works)will walk away with even more in stock options. The stocks will be worth a lot less because of his ineptness, but since he didn;t pay for them they'll still be worth $$$$$ to him... All the while the peons get fucked in the ass.

― chicanodan
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Its not as simple as 'increasing minimum wage'.
Yes, I agree. My original post was not addressing the distribution of wealth, it was addressing the disparity in wages, I thought the post was related since the video mentioned the disparity as well. I know that if we raise the minimum wage it will help those who are working those jobs, yet the distribution of wealth itself will be untouched since the 1% will continue to own stocks and everything else that makes them wealthy as fuck.

Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

One of the biggest things that people tend to overlook is how this has been exacerbated by the Citizens United case which basically allows people of wealth to buy politicians via campaign contributions.

The wealthy fund politicians who in turn create laws that benefit them (See Wisconsin and their Union Problems on a state level and the Very same Citizens United case on a Federal) which in turn allows them to keep more of thir wealth which allows them to buy even more political clout.

― chicanodan
Old 03-07-2013
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
I know that if we raise the minimum wage it will help those who are working those jobs, yet the distribution of wealth itself will be untouched since the 1% will continue to own stocks and everything else that makes them wealthy as fuck.
It would be an illusion of helping by making more. If prices increase to match the higher minimum wage, then they its not really helping them .
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

Well we need to keep prices the same, there is only so much families can pay for milk and eggs. The minimum wage needs to be increased to keep people out of poverty, that is what it was meant for in the first place. It is useless if the minimum wage keeps people under the poverty line.

Old 03-07-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

A very simplistic semi-retarded explanation (since I'm no economic buff, I just have common sense, heh); if you raise minimum wage, companies will raise the cost of their products to offset the rise in minimum wage (including everything else that goes up in payroll). Nothing is as simple. Trust me, I'd like for everyone to make a liveable wage but shit is complicated. There is a reason why people go to school for this.
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

Yes, that is simple economics. Except if we make minimum wage adjustable for inflation than if the cost of products goes up then so should the minimum wage.

Old 03-07-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

And how would you go about doing that?
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

A Federal Law tying Minimum wage to cost of living increases would be a good start..

― chicanodan
Old 03-07-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

That's a start.

Last edited by Cal; 03-07-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: i misread what you typed ya bastid
Old 03-07-2013
Chicle

If it only were so simple.

I've discovered something in the last couple of years. I could go into a long and drawn out response on how I discovered this but I won't.

Keeping people under the poverty level and poor is a business in itself. I would love to have the time to research this further and possibly write about this.
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

Another step would be to federalize national election funding and make all election laws at the state level subject to federal jurisdiction.

This would in effect outlaw direct political contributions. If you want to donate to the political process you can donate directly to the federal election fund. Local and state elections would likewise be publicly funded.

Hi Linda

― chicanodan
Old 03-07-2013
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
Well we need to keep prices the same, there is only so much families can pay for milk and eggs. The minimum wage needs to be increased to keep people out of poverty, that is what it was meant for in the first place. It is useless if the minimum wage keeps people under the poverty line.
Yes, its should, but it won't happen. Business's don't care. Just like those who like to bitch about illegal immigrants stealing their jobs when those jobs usually pay minimum wage if not lower, someone has to do the job. Those who say they are stealing the jobs would have to do it and they wouldnt do it below minimum wage let a lone at minimum and if the employeer did give them that, they would raise the price of the products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicanoDan View Post
A Federal Law tying Minimum wage to cost of living increases would be a good start..
Nice idea. Shit i be glad for just a cost of living MANDATORY law for all wages! Sure as fuck could use it.
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

My idea is to let people hustle like they do in mex, selling posole outta their garage every Friday night and things like that. People need to support mom n pops shops instead of McDonald's.
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

When I brought up the minimum wage, I did not mean to imply that I think that would help wealth distribution.

I have no idea how to fix wealth distribution.

And yes, I think there is definitely business to be made from poor people. However, if a non-profit is a real non-profit, they really are not making much by trying to help. I've worked at non-profits before, the pay sucks and the work is tough by no means was I trying to make a living off of them.

Old 03-07-2013
Chicle

I left the corporate world and took a job in Health and Human Services almost two years ago. I love and hate this job with all that I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
I agree with this. As a person who has been on the low income level, I know for a fact there are useless organizations- federal, non profit, for profit and faith based who purport to help people in this category, and in reality they don't do a damn fucking thing.Some do, but its really rare. They rely on the numbers and as long as they get their numbers, at their own convenience, when it suits them, then its all gravy. There is not only for and non profit organizations and agencies doing this.
Bingo. Numbers. That is all that counts. They get more government and private funding if they meet their numbers. The more people they "help" brings in more funding the next fiscal year.

The same with the States and Counties. The more people on assistance, the more funding they receive the following year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
Everyone knows the criminal justice system and other federal sectors such as immigration,private prison industries and others are sustained by the systematic oppression of people in this income level ,of all races, who lack social mobility. They are employees whose livelihood depends on the downtrodden and illiterate, uneducated,citizen and or recent immigrant. That should not be a surprise.I have to admit this happens in the human services field as well.
Exactly. If you think about how many people work in these fields, the numbers are mind-boogling.

Are we really helping someone by "helping" them? This is something that I struggle with every day in my job. I do not have a problem with helping the elderly, disabled and the working poor. Speaking of the working poor, I have noticed that a huge number of my working poor clients are current and former WalMart employees. WalMart, one of the most profitable companies in the world, profits by not paying their employees a livable wage. Outrageous. Not to mention, have you been to a WalMart at the first of the month? Another way to profit off the poor. They market to the poor by saying they are the low price leader and offering price matching.

Oh this is a subject that I can go on and on about.
Old 03-07-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

increasing minimum wage would also lead to more outsourcing. then again, the current administration has no problem with that. Fine. But then this country would then need to encourage the new generation to pursue education so our future workers don't have to rely on these minimum wage jobs in the first place.

Of course encouraging the next generation(living in poverty) to pursue our broken educational system sounds like a joke(I know I am laughing). So maybe we can pressure the current and future administrations to create a new education system versus trying to patch up something that will never be fixed.

In turn, minimum wage jobs will go back to highschool kids working summer jobs and/or undocumented workers. Unimportant, low paying factory jobs will be outsourced to other countries. Then some US companies can continue hiring young americans for upper level jobs that will most likely go to highly educated Chinese/Indian workers if there aren't enough "smart americans" that are fit to do the job.

woah, trailed off topic there. Let me fix that...

you are all commies for even suggesting the distribution of wealth
Old 03-13-2013
Mocoso

All this whining about raising minimum wage is stupid, big business can afford it, adjusted for inflation wasn't the minimum wage at the start of the minimum wage law much higher?

But as others in here have already expressed pandering to the government to pass laws to solve this problem is hardly going to solve anything, we need to take things into our own hands for full effectiveness, which unfortunately is much easier said than done.