Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity > Genealogy

Genealogy Anything related to Genealogy.

Old 03-09-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Sometimes Last names can tell you what tribe you are from...

There are times you can tell what tribe you are from from your last name. The Spanish were pretty lazy and practically gave last names to native from either their region, tribe, occupation, and language. Here are a few examples:

I was in my room when my roommate ran in. He was talking about how he saw in the news about this family who lost everything bc of a fire. Their last name was Nahuatl (the news pronounced it as Na-wa-tal). I had to explain to him that it was the language of the Nahua.

Then there is one time (few days ago) I was looking for my indigenous roots to see what we were and I called my mom. She was giving the first and second last name. I almost dropped my phone when she said Manzo as my grandfather's second name. This may not sound cool or important, but the Manzo were a tribe from New Mexico. A few were taken to Guadalajara as slaves during the 1700's (I wrote about this before on soychicano.). Spanish were too lazy and just gave them the last name Manzo.

Here is a list of names which makes you either descedent of slave, the slave owner or both:

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 01-05-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2005
Gunner

aint that some crazy shit
Old 03-09-2005
Mocoso

That is very interesting. The closest I can identify with this is my paternal Grandparents coming from San Luis Potosi and being from Huastecan tribe. My maternal Grandmother was the history keeper in my family so she wrote down all she knew to pass it on to us too. The interesting fact from that side is that my Great Great Grandmother, I believe, was disowned by her parents when she made the decision to run away with Grandfather, a soldier, fighting in Pancho Villa's army. I plan on researching more about my background using my last name as a staring point. Easy to see how much of a slave name it is though....
Don't give in mi prietita tighten your belt, endure. Your lineage is ancient, your roots like those of the mesquite firmly planted, digging underground toward that current, the soul of madre tierra-your origin.
Old 08-09-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

glad you guys think it's interesting

Old 08-09-2005
Travieso

Send a message via AIM to lil_king Send a message via MSN to lil_king Send a message via Yahoo to lil_king

that coo'
Old 08-09-2005
Maestro

You Got Me All Curious About Mine Now
Old 08-09-2005
Geek'd Up
Maestro

that is real intersting...im all curious bout mine now..
Old 08-09-2005
Chicle

Hey, I know of a Manzo family in Downey!
Wonder what they'd say if I told them this?

What do you know about Morales or Carrillo??
Old 08-09-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Morales and Carrillo are Spanish names. I think I'm going to post all the Spanish last names that were given to slaves. I have the book and will scan it. Many of you will be surprised.

Old 08-09-2005
Geek'd Up
Maestro

hey where can i research my last name..its wierd..HUIZAR...
i always wondered what it meant
Old 08-09-2005
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to Indira

Now that I think about what you are saying I'm a little confused, see my great grandfather's last name was Manriquez Saizar. From what my mom tells me his mom was indigenous and his dad was not. She says that his father was a tall man with blond and green or blue eyes. Which is confusing to me because if he was not indigenous why would his lastname be Manriquez. I'm thinking maybe he was Spanish, but then it doesn't make sense that his mom's last name would be Saizar since she was indigenous and Saizar is a Eastern lastname.

Then again I think it might have been a mistake when he was registered. Since he did have half brothers on his dad's side that were named Saizar.

I gotta talk to my grandma so she can clarify.
Old 08-09-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indira
Now that I think about what you are saying I'm a little confused, see my great grandfather's last name was Manriquez Saizar. From what my mom tells me his mom was indigenous and his dad was not. She says that his father was a tall man with blond and green or blue eyes. Which is confusing to me because if he was not indigenous why would his lastname be Manriquez. I'm thinking maybe he was Spanish, but then it doesn't make sense that his mom's last name would be Saizar since she was indigenous and Saizar is a Eastern lastname.

Then again I think it might have been a mistake when he was registered. Since he did have half brothers on his dad's side that were named Saizar.

I gotta talk to my grandma so she can clarify.
Mija, calm down. Here's a link with more info:

http://www.soychicano.com/modules.ph...wtopic&t=12690

Old 08-09-2005
Travieso

Location: East Los Califas tha Big Bad Ass TRES VIENTE Y TRES

THATS PRETTY INTERESTING. PRETTY CRAZY
Old 08-09-2005
Gunner

That's interesting. I'd like to know about my last name...I think it'll be difficult because it's Medellin.

Love is like a flower; even the most beautiful kind dies.
-Till Lindemann
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Old 08-09-2005
Gunner

Send a message via MSN to GG_Drea Send a message via Yahoo to GG_Drea

I'd want to know too because my last name
is very uncommon
Old 08-09-2005
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to shortcakes

That is interesting. I would like to know myself. Too bad my great grand parents form both sides of my family are deceased. The only person who may have some info for me is my grandpa, but he lives in Mexico and refuses to wear a hearing aide when we call.
Old 08-10-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Here is a list of names which makes you either descedent of slave, the slave owner or both:

Old 08-10-2005
Veterano

My last name is Baca

My mothers last name is Garcia.

Her mothers last name was Cordero (which was actually on the list you provided).

My other grandmothers last maiden name was Baca too because her and my grandfather were cousins

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 08-10-2005
Estudiante

My last names are Rangel and Jacobo
they aren't on the list but my great grand mothers last name is Cortes
i do know of alot of cuzins with that last name also Orosco
Martinez too my grand mother from my moms side of the family is Sosa

everytime i ask them they tell me that my great grand mother is indeginos but not my great grand father same story from both sides
Old 08-10-2005
Prospect

trejo perez n garrido are my wat does it mean if there on there
Old 08-21-2005
Mocoso

Default RE: Slave Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl

Tecpaocelotl: where did you get this information? It has many of the slave names that I have cited for years as being slave names. One clue to knowing this is the pervasiveness of the slave names: Since entire villages were branded with slave names, many people ended up with the same slave "last" name e.g. Hernandez. This means others with the same last name are NOT necessarily your long lost relatives, but perhaps they may share the same slave master Hernandez or married another slave who descends from the slavemaster's line, nothing more.

My birth surname (Carrion or Carreon) is on the slave list, which explains why I changed my whole name years ago. I've been trying to tell my family and friends for years that most all Spanish surnames (of indigenous people) are slave names in the same manner that Africans got their European slaves names.

Some people just don't get it.

Another factor to add to the list is whether one descends from a poor family or from a well-to-do family. If your family is poor, the chances are very great that you descend from an indigenous family. This was the case in my own family as my father, being a child migrant laborer, descended from a poverty-striken family (plus we are dark as well, another clue).

The more well-to-do and whiter the family, the chances are that one is actually a Spaniard, of European descent. This means one probably descends from the slave master and not from the indigenous lineages of the slaves.

90% of Mexico is Native or indigenous, and most all of them have the same European slave names that are on this list. The white Spaniards are actually in the minority--and this explains why such a huge Native population of greater than 100 million (U.S. and Mexico) are nearly all branded with a few common Spanish slave names (as listed above). The Spanish surnames are the result of widespread slave branding and not by traditional native means.

The lack of diversity in "choices" of surnames is a big clue that one descends from slaves in the same manner that Africans only got a handful of European slave names...notice the lack of diversity in African slave names as well: Washington, Jones, Whitehead, Davis, Jefferson, etc...
Old 08-21-2005
Chicle

Send a message via MSN to TEGUI

CRAZY! MY LAST NAMES ARE ON THERE.... SO YOUR SAYING THOSE ARE ALL THE LAST NAMES OF PEOPLE THAT WERE SLAVES? RIGHT?
Old 08-21-2005
deleted user [001]

Both of my parents' and their parents' names are on the list except one grandmother. My maiden last name is common but I was surprised to see my married last name on the list since it is rare.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 08-21-2005
Mocoso

The list is a guideline to slave and slave master names, but people still need to do their own family research. If one comes from poorer and darker families, then the Spanish name is likely a slave name; whereas, having some wealth and a Spanish name from the list most likely signifies a slavemaster's lineage. All wealth comes from somewhere, and in this hemisphere, the accumulated wealth held by Europeans is the direct result of slaving over Native People and African slaves. That's how whites got rich and how brown and black people got poor. That's also why inheritance laws are so important to whites. It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out.

I first read about the Spanish slave names while studying history in college some years ago. I think a lot of people still don't know the truth (mostly due to lack of education), but it has a way of coming out sooner or later.

I wonder how many people actually have the courage to step forth and admit that they have a Spanish slave name from the list above. So many people are in denial and still others are clueless that Mexicans and other Natives were branded with slave names in the the same way that Africans were. I honestly don't know how some people can continue to live in denial, but this is becoming common knowledge as more and more people become educated and research their ancestry.

I did, and some of my findings about the slave name I carried were disturbing. But knowing the truth is a whole lot better than remaining silent and ignorant, in my opinion.

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 06-12-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Default Re: RE: Slave Names

Quote:
Originally Posted by citlalin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl

Tecpaocelotl: where did you get this information? It has many of the slave names that I have cited for years as being slave names. One clue to knowing this is the pervasiveness of the slave names: Since entire villages were branded with slave names, many people ended up with the same slave "last" name e.g. Hernandez. This means others with the same last name are NOT necessarily your long lost relatives, but perhaps they may share the same slave master Hernandez or married another slave who descends from the slavemaster's line, nothing more.

My birth surname (Carrion or Carreon) is on the slave list, which explains why I changed my whole name years ago. I've been trying to tell my family and friends for years that most all Spanish surnames (of indigenous people) are slave names in the same manner that Africans got their European slaves names.

Some people just don't get it.

Another factor to add to the list is whether one descends from a poor family or from a well-to-do family. If your family is poor, the chances are very great that you descend from an indigenous family. This was the case in my own family as my father, being a child migrant laborer, descended from a poverty-striken family (plus we are dark as well, another clue).

The more well-to-do and whiter the family, the chances are that one is actually a Spaniard, of European descent. This means one probably descends from the slave master and not from the indigenous lineages of the slaves.

90% of Mexico is Native or indigenous, and most all of them have the same European slave names that are on this list. The white Spaniards are actually in the minority--and this explains why such a huge Native population of greater than 100 million (U.S. and Mexico) are nearly all branded with a few common Spanish slave names (as listed above). The Spanish surnames are the result of widespread slave branding and not by traditional native means.

The lack of diversity in "choices" of surnames is a big clue that one descends from slaves in the same manner that Africans only got a handful of European slave names...notice the lack of diversity in African slave names as well: Washington, Jones, Whitehead, Davis, Jefferson, etc...
I got this from the book "500 Anos: Fregados pero cristianos".

You practically summarized the book. LOL. They have info on who owns this part and what not and what was the original name of the places.