Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Cooking, Food, Drinks

Cooking, Food, Drinks Family Reciepes, Traditions, Tip-n-Tricks, Advice, Help, or anything that has to do with food and cooking.

Old 05-22-2011
Travieso

Default Party-carne asada tacos

I know many of you know how to cook and party-lol! Hubby is turning 40 next year and I thought carne asada tacos, beans and rice would make a good party food, plus perfect with coronas Anyways I know the taco man is popular and good but I also hear its very expensive.

Has anyone did a big party and served carne asada tacos? If so how did you do it? I know it would be to much work for hubby to stand there and BBQ. I was hoping to cook it before hand and keep it warm somehow. Any advice??

grill the meat before hand, fry it????
best way to keep it warm???
Old 05-22-2011
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio
Default Re: Party-carne asada tacos

I havent done it myself. But my god daughters grandfather did. I got to the party early, before most of the guest, helped with what i could. But he did the grilling basically before hand.

Since its something that doesnt need to be smoked or cooked long. Propane grill is best. Doesnt take too long that way. What he did was put the cooked meat in a big pot and covered it with a lid. Stayed pretty warm for a bit. Especially if your putting hot ones on top of the slightly older ones.

You could also use a large foil pan and cover it with foil. Keep it in the oven with the oven off. Or same thing but keep it in an empty ice chest.
Old 05-22-2011
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

first of all, carne asada(throwing marinaded meat on grill) is very different than the tacos you get from a taquero. The difference is in the preparation.

I've been to events where they hire one of these guys and they cook the meat on this large grill with a built in pan and use oil. the meat is already prepared and ready to go. they just start cooking, throw the tortillas on the grill as well and start punching out tacos to feed the hungry crowd. The only thing coming out of their mouths at that point is how many you want.

I've seen variations where the meat is already pre cut, othertimes, they cook the meat whole and then cut it up right there on the spot before throwing them on some tortillas and handing you a plate full of tacos.

when I make carne asada, I just throw the meat on the grill, and serve it with a plate with beans, rice, etc. Let them make their own tacos. If I want tacos, I'll hire a taquero and have him handle all the preparation. these guys get paid good money for a reason. It's a major pain doing all the prep work and the serving.
Old 05-23-2011
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

Don't use oil, use manteca si no pa' que chingaos...
Old 05-23-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto Quintero View Post
Don't use oil, use manteca si no pa' que chingaos...
This.
Old 05-23-2011
Travieso

I'm gonna have to rethink this. I was thinking serving plates . Tacos with just meat and let people put whatever they want on it. Make a couple of salsas. I made a list and so far about 50 adults another 20 kids but i usually have crockpot full of nacho cheese and chips, they luv that! Just some people tend to go hog wild and have no consideration for others. I can see a few familiy members saying give me 6-10 for 1st serving

what do you all make for big parties?
Old 05-24-2011
Presidente

I dont, lol. Well I have an uncle who works for a food service place, so he gets deals on meats. He usually will pay one of his friends to make about 5 briskets. Then everyone else has to do the beans and rice.

I have known others to cook a whole hog. Then again, rice and beans.

But you are right, some peolpe can get greedy. But also making the individual plates would help out in a sense, you will just have people ask for 2 if they dont think it is enough. And you may have some that just want the rice and beans. Some just want the meat and rice and then the beans would go to waste or vice versa. Which is why its better to let them serve themselves.

Or have like a serving line of "volunteers" and peolpe walking past the tables to fill their plates up. Thats honestly a lot of fucking people for a 40th birthday part.

My uncles girlfriend supposedly has entertained the idea to do a party for his 40th as well. She was thinking about renting a dance hall, not one of the smaller ones in waco either. Yet, she has no idea who is going to go or who to invite. Let alone know what to serve. My other aunt, she is a party planner, but she has been battling cancer off and on, so my uncle, her husband told the gf not to bother her and that he would help.

The gf is also the type of person who seems like she would get everyone else to do the work, then claim all the credit. Not to mention, half the immediate family talk to each other, and some would not go or maybe get into an argument, let alone trying to contact the extended family in the waco area to come.
Old 05-24-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinklen01 View Post
I'm gonna have to rethink this. I was thinking serving plates . Tacos with just meat and let people put whatever they want on it. Make a couple of salsas. I made a list and so far about 50 adults another 20 kids but i usually have crockpot full of nacho cheese and chips, they luv that! Just some people tend to go hog wild and have no consideration for others. I can see a few familiy members saying give me 6-10 for 1st serving

what do you all make for big parties?
A party is not the time to be cheap. A party of this size demands enough food for at least second helpings. We're Mexican so we're all aware that there is going to be that one special momo who brings additional guests.

Anyway just grill the seasoned carne, chop it up and put that shit into a pot or those aluminium covered trays to stay warm. Chop a load of onion and cilantro. Have them in a centralized location along with your assorted salsas. If you're feeling splendid then chop some avocado and rabano too. Let the guests top their own tacos however they please to avoid waste.

Chicharron is also a good cheap appetizer and it goes well with the assorted salsas.

You're going to need a lot of meat to feed at least 70 guests. You figure 2 ounces of meat (to be on the cheap side) per taco, 4 tacos per person (to be on the cheap side), 1 pound for every 2 persons, at least 35 pounds of meat total (to be on the cheap side). You may want to get another 10 pounds to be on the safe side (to not be that host who runs out of food).

Have you considered grilling some chicken drumsticks as well (to supplement the carne asada)? They are very reasonably priced. If someone is still hungry then they can eat chicken.

Anyway hope you have enough beer.
Old 05-24-2011
Site Admin
Presidente

calmanani is spot on with his advice. Having meat on "reserve" is key. Cook chicken as well as hotdogs and burgers. Kids would prefer those anyways. And then the dumb adults who would eat them...well fill them up with cheap meat and bread, they will eat less carne asada that way, lol

what is your plans for the grill? you have a big enough grill to start cooking away large amounts of food?
Old 05-24-2011
Presidente

ALl good points. The kids would more then likely go for the meat alone. Thats what they basically did at my goddaughters bday party. And then some of them ate more beans then rice and vice versa. But they devoured chips.

And, to be even cheaper, dont buy buns for the hot dogs, kids dont really care. 70 people tho, are you doing this at home? SJ brings up a great question about the grill. If your grilling that much for that many, i would think you need a few grills, if not one thats big enough to need its own trailer. Course, the good thing about the carne asada, its not to thick, so cooks pretty quickly. I would assume your buying the meat from a carnicera and not marinating it yourself? Or is this all still up in the air?
Old 05-24-2011
Maestro

You gotta hit up the flea market, buy one of those flying saucer looking pans with propane flames hooked up underneath. Buy the meat and chop it up before cooking, mix up some spices and onions with it, take your manteca and start cooking that shit up.

Like someone mentioned, there is a difference between carne asada and tacos like you get at a taco truck. If you're doing a carne asada, that means you're grilling on a bbq and you can throw burgers, hot dogs, chicken, etc., in the mix...like someone else already mentioned.

However, if you're planning on making tacos, I'd go with the flying saucer pan idea. First and foremost, make up your mind on exactly what you're gonna have. Carne Asada or Tacos, then go from there...
Old 05-24-2011
Travieso

I don't have a grill atm so I do my carne asada in the oven griller and it works great, what I do is marinade the meat the night before, like it was say your gonna need a lot of meat for 70 mouths you can go to the dollar stores and bye those big alum. pans and put a LOT of meat into one, you'll just have to pay attention to it and stir it regularly so as not to over cook or burn it, also pork is less expensive, and there is also chicken it cooks up the same way! Perhaps get three pans and have one of each, that way everyone is satisfied and do your toppings on the side, green onions, cilantro, onions, jalapeños, and if you're doing tacos don't forget the cheese, sour cream and lettuce, and make some guacamole....

A great tip for doing canned beans when in a rush is fry a little onions and garlic in some bacon fat then throw in the beans and sprinkle some cumin.... knocks out the tin can taste and everyone will think you slaved over a hot stove all day lol

You can do a lot of prep work and even cooking the night before then just warm everything up the next day, the flavors will be bursting as it sat over night good luck with your party....
Old 05-24-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Tacos de carne asada are just that, grilled meat that is served chopped up or cut into strips in a corn tortilla.
The kind that is made on flat grills are known as tacos de bistek. Slightly different but awesome nonetheless.
Choose.

Oh, and if you're going to make authentic Mexican tacos, ignore this suggestion;
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Chicahua11 View Post
and if you're doing tacos don't forget the cheese, sour cream and lettuce
A good suggestion if you are going to make burritos or hard shell "tacos".

Corn tortilla, meat, salsa, onion and cilantro. The original Mexican street taco.
Old 05-24-2011
Maestro

^Haha, I didn't wanna say nothing. But if you're putting cheese, sour cream and other shit in the mix, not a taco no more.

Fuck I'm hungry now, gonna ask my friend if she's down to cook up some lengua...
Old 05-24-2011
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmanani View Post
Tacos de carne asada are just that, grilled meat that is served chopped up or cut into strips in a corn tortilla.
The kind that is made on flat grills are known as tacos de bistek. Slightly different but awesome nonetheless.
Choose.

Oh, and if you're going to make authentic Mexican tacos, ignore this suggestion;

A good suggestion if you are going to make burritos or hard shell "tacos".

Corn tortilla, meat, salsa, onion and cilantro. The original Mexican street taco.
OK excuse me for Americanisming the mexican taco
Old 05-24-2011
Maestro

Hay guey ya me dio hambre! I would take Cals advice!

Old 05-24-2011
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto Quintero View Post
You gotta hit up the flea market, buy one of those flying saucer looking pans with propane flames hooked up underneath. Buy the meat and chop it up before cooking, mix up some spices and onions with it, take your manteca and start cooking that shit up.
See, thats not Canre Asada to me. Like Cal said to me Carne Asada are the strips of meat, which you can still make tacos out of without chopping them up.
Old 05-24-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Taqueros ain't that expensive...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 05-24-2011
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
But you are right, some peolpe can get greedy. But also making the individual plates would help out in a sense, you will just have people ask for 2 if they dont think it is enough. And you may have some that just want the rice and beans. Some just want the meat and rice and then the beans would go to waste or vice versa. Which is why its better to let them serve themselves.

Or have like a serving line of "volunteers" and peolpe walking past the tables to fill their plates up. Thats honestly a lot of fucking people for a 40th birthday part.

My uncles girlfriend supposedly has entertained the idea to do a party for his 40th as well. She was thinking about renting a dance hall, not one of the smaller ones in waco either. Yet, she has no idea who is going to go or who to invite. Let alone know what to serve. My other aunt, she is a party planner, but she has been battling cancer off and on, so my uncle, her husband told the gf not to bother her and that he would help.

The gf is also the type of person who seems like she would get everyone else to do the work, then claim all the credit. Not to mention, half the immediate family talk to each other, and some would not go or maybe get into an argument, let alone trying to contact the extended family in the waco area to come.
I try doing as much as I can myself otherwise certain family talk crap either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmanani View Post
A party is not the time to be cheap. A party of this size demands enough food for at least second helpings. We're Mexican so we're all aware that there is going to be that one special momo who brings additional guests.

Anyway just grill the seasoned carne, chop it up and put that shit into a pot or those aluminium covered trays to stay warm. Chop a load of onion and cilantro. Have them in a centralized location along with your assorted salsas. If you're feeling splendid then chop some avocado and rabano too. Let the guests top their own tacos however they please to avoid waste.

Chicharron is also a good cheap appetizer and it goes well with the assorted salsas.

You're going to need a lot of meat to feed at least 70 guests. You figure 2 ounces of meat (to be on the cheap side) per taco, 4 tacos per person (to be on the cheap side), 1 pound for every 2 persons, at least 35 pounds of meat total (to be on the cheap side). You may want to get another 10 pounds to be on the safe side (to not be that host who runs out of food).

Have you considered grilling some chicken drumsticks as well (to supplement the carne asada)? They are very reasonably priced. If someone is still hungry then they can eat chicken.

Anyway hope you have enough beer.
My parties compare to other family members parties we have more food but others have limited food amount and choice and it ok but everyone kinda expects us to always have more food and variety.
Example: people will load up there plate before everyone has atleast have one round. They will serve their kids the same way. Then as I do my rounds to talk to everyone the kids dont eat their food maybe one bite and they go play. At one party I kid you not the party wasnt even over and I had a few guest that were coming late due to work, My mother in law grabbed a whole pizza to take home, then her mom grabbed another one to take to her son, then my mother in law says dang we should grab one for so and so as they laughed away. I kid you not! Plus hubbys 2 aunts made plates to take for later during their fist round. I was shocked cuz I'm use to everyone get minium fist then once everyone eats then feel free for 2nds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
calmanani is spot on with his advice. Having meat on "reserve" is key. Cook chicken as well as hotdogs and burgers. Kids would prefer those anyways. And then the dumb adults who would eat them...well fill them up with cheap meat and bread, they will eat less carne asada that way, lol

what is your plans for the grill? you have a big enough grill to start cooking away large amounts of food?
I like the idea of hot dogs for the kids plus i always have nachos, veggie platter, chips and salsa, chips and dip
Quote:
ALl good points. The kids would more then likely go for the meat alone. Thats what they basically did at my goddaughters bday party. And then some of them ate more beans then rice and vice versa. But they devoured chips.

And, to be even cheaper, dont buy buns for the hot dogs, kids dont really care. 70 people tho, are you doing this at home? SJ brings up a great question about the grill. If your grilling that much for that many, i would think you need a few grills, if not one thats big enough to need its own trailer. Course, the good thing about the carne asada, its not to thick, so cooks pretty quickly. I would assume your buying the meat from a carnicera and not marinating it yourself? Or is this all still up in the air?
I was thtinking of marinating it myself but might be cheaper and easier to get it prepared. We would need a new and bigger grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Chicahua11 View Post
I don't have a grill atm so I do my carne asada in the oven griller and it works great, what I do is marinade the meat the night before, like it was say your gonna need a lot of meat for 70 mouths you can go to the dollar stores and bye those big alum. pans and put a LOT of meat into one, you'll just have to pay attention to it and stir it regularly so as not to over cook or burn it, also pork is less expensive, and there is also chicken it cooks up the same way! Perhaps get three pans and have one of each, that way everyone is satisfied and do your toppings on the side, green onions, cilantro, onions, jalapeños, and if you're doing tacos don't forget the cheese, sour cream and lettuce, and make some guacamole....

A great tip for doing canned beans when in a rush is fry a little onions and garlic in some bacon fat then throw in the beans and sprinkle some cumin.... knocks out the tin can taste and everyone will think you slaved over a hot stove all day lol

You can do a lot of prep work and even cooking the night before then just warm everything up the next day, the flavors will be bursting as it sat over night good luck with your party....
canned beans my mother in law and hubbys grandmother would talk so much that would be a no no-lol!
I was thinking of the carner asada tacos and the mini corn tortillas. and cutting up a bunch of onion, cabbage, salsa cant think what else goes in the mexican tacos oh and those spicey carrots and jalapeno. I wouldnt have cheese or sour cream.

the party would be in the backyard, its big enough.

for my daughters b-day we had about 30 adults and about 17 kids(ages 1-13rs old) inside out house cause it rained. We cut down on her party but in the past it was about 50 people.

I talked to hubby and he's not liking the idea of having to grill all that meat. I told him i would cut it all up and do everything else.

for daughters past parties I have done
-shredded beef beans and beans (communion)
- 2 ordered huge grinders, potato salad, macronni salad, chips n salsa, nachos, chips and dip, veggie plater, fruit
-ordered fry chicken, potato salad, corn on the cob, rolls, etc
-hamburger and hot dogs
-pizzas
-carne asada beans and rice (baptismo)

well if hubby says no to grilling then I mwill have to think of something else. I asked my friend about taco man and she said she paid $400-$500 for about 50 people
Old 05-25-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

If it's that big of a problem that people get more than their share during the first go-around, you should really think about having someone serve the plates to them. My cousin just had a big party this weekend (around 100) and they had birria con arroz y frijoles. Her aunts served the food and in the end there everybody got their fill and there was plenty left over to take home for the ones that didn't make it out.

Also, I'm with Cal on the whole no cheese, sour cream, or lettuce for the tacos. Uh...give me a tortilla, some meat, and some spicy salsa and I'm set. Tacos...fuck yeah!

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 05-25-2011
Maestro

Quote:
See, thats not Canre Asada to me. Like Cal said to me Carne Asada are the strips of meat, which you can still make tacos out of without chopping them up.
Right, it's not carne asada. Like I said, tacos are tacos and carne asada is carne asada. I don't really mix the two, but you could make tacos out of carne asada in theory. I just eat of the grill though, no time to cut up the meat from a carne asada, just grab it and rip it off...
Old 05-25-2011
Presidente

well its like fajitas, no need to cut it up.
Old 05-25-2011
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
Taqueros ain't that expensive...
yes, especially when you start factoring in the expenses to feed 70 people yourself. Not only the supplies but the time it takes to prepare the stuff.

You tell the taquero how many people are going, he'll bring everything and even serve for you, while you are out hanging out with your guests, stress free and actually enjoying the party and the food.
Old 05-25-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

i mean... i guess it might depend if ure in a place other than Cali....

i know a friend of mine had a taquero for a baby shower for about 70-80 people and it was less than 200.....

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 05-25-2011
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
i mean... i guess it might depend if ure in a place other than Cali....

i know a friend of mine had a taquero for a baby shower for about 70-80 people and it was less than 200.....
I'm in cali and my friend used a taco guy . She paid $400-$500 but it included beans, rice and hamburgers plus the salsa