Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Website/Forum Info Center > SoyChicano Store

SoyChicano Store This forum is topics specific to the SoyChicano Store and products. New products, suggestions, and complaints will be discussed here.

View Poll Results: Celestino's Idea: Would you buy this shirt?
Yes 10 33.33%
No 9 30.00%
Depends on how it looks 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2004
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Send a message via AIM to SNH Send a message via Yahoo to SNH
Default Celestino's Shirt Idea

In regards to a Private Message from Celestino:
Quote:
hey sal can you do me a favor....

i was replying in the forum on the chatroom and i got an idea for a shirt but i need a picture of u perferable with a barret on.

here is my idea

"El SAL"

'picture of you like the andy warhol version of Che'

"www.soychicano.com"

you might want some of the graphics people to try and do it they might have a better turnout.

but regardless if you could just so i can see if i actually can. send me a pic to

thanks
celestino
Sounds like a joke but if you are serious, I just need to find a beret somewhere so I can take a picture of myself with it on. But what color should the beret be? Black, Brown, or another color? Does anyone know where I can purchase one online? I was thinking of hunting down a Surplus store where I live and seeing if I could purchase one.

Does anyone have any inputs to this topic? Anyone against it? lol... I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to buy a shirt with my mugg shot on it... lol
Old 04-22-2004
deleted user [001]

I have a couple of berets. What color -- black/brown leather, black, brown, red, pink, navy blue, or grey wool?

Old 04-22-2004
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

i think pink will suffice
Old 04-22-2004
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to DallasChika Send a message via MSN to DallasChika Send a message via Yahoo to DallasChika

yea sal would look pretty in pink,

j/k sal ......i would like to see wut a shirt like that would look like
Old 04-22-2004
*Mr*Manuel

BROWN of course..(the following, a portion from another forum)

Quote:
The Brown Berets:
Young Chicano Revolutionaries

Fight Back! interviewed Carlos Montes, one of the founders and former Minister of Information of the Brown Berets National Office in East Los Angeles from 1967 to 1970. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, the Brown Berets emerged as one of the most powerful and militant organizations in the Chicano liberation movement. Like the Black Panther Party, the Brown Berets were hit hard by government repression. This interview brings out a part of our history that is rarely taught in schools and some lessons for today’s activists from our movement’s past.
Old 04-22-2004
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Yes, Brown!

designMr, where is the link to the interview?
Old 04-22-2004
Maestro

I would buy the shirt and i'd rock it all over town too.

Come on who else would buy it, you gotta admit that is a cool @ss idea.

it's not mocking Ché if it was a white guy then yeah, but no this is different it's an incorporation of an outside idea to advertise something. people do it all the time.

The picture wouldn't be an actual picture (especially it being on a shirt to many colors, the more colors the more it cost) the shirt would only have like two colors on it. In Andy Warhol's picture he changed it

i hope this works right
Old 04-22-2004
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

ha ha... that s a funny ass idea. i have that exact same shirt...

p.s. CHE WAS A WHITE GUY!

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 04-22-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I wouldn't want to buy the shirt. It's like almost insulting Che or saying that Sal is revolutionary or something.

I hate when heroes become pop icons. Main reason why I don't want anybody to make a hero of mine (Jorge LeRand, formal brown beret. RIP. A man that taught me that we need to unite and organize. Trippy part about him is he knew when he was going to die.) have his image on a shirt. Doesn't matter if Che was argentian. He represents something; FREEDOM and REVOLUTION. The Brown Berets did so many things in LA. A lot of things exist because of them. Once, Catalina Island was taken over by them. Sadly, it's now owned by white guys.

Right now my teacher caught me watching this site and was wondering about Che. LOL.

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 10-04-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2004
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

uh oh... u r gonna get turned in by ur teacher... ha ha..
i know that it dont matter that che was white... he did represent freedom and change.....

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 04-22-2004
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

So far that is the first vote against the idea.

I think I will attach a poll to this thread to see how it turns out.
Old 04-22-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

They brought the FEDs and now I'm going to be taken out. LOL. JK.

Anyway, he just asked me why Rage has him as their "icon".

I was going to scan the pic of Jorge LeRand today at school, but I forgot the image back home, plus my all in one device is acting dumb.
Old 04-22-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Talked to the teacher (he's Indian from India) more and now he asked about the Not Hispanic! Not Latino! Shirts that he seen. I told him the origins of the words and he says it makes sense on why the shirt says. Then we start talking about how people lose the meaning of things. Like the word Arian and the squatisa (can't spell it, but I hope you guys know what I mean). He also asked me where the word Chicano comes from. Told him also. Told him also.
Old 04-22-2004
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Teachers are also students... OF LIFE!

Old 04-22-2004
The one and only
Presidente

I teach everyone. LOL. Anyway, what makes this sad is the majority of the class is Mexican, but weren't curious on what I was saying, but my teacher who is Indian is.
Old 04-22-2004
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

I like the shirt idea...

I personally don't have a problem with Heroes becoming or being made into "Pop" icons it makes people curious..

The bad part about it is that the majority of people who wear "Che-Wear" have no clue who he was and what he stood for... But if out of a thousand who buy a Che-T-shirt 10 get curious enough to start asking questions or read up or research Che or other Icons than that's worth it Que No?

Tecpaocelotl.. You will find that the path of least resistance in teaching people and enlightening people to our culture and history is in teaching those like your teacher.

People who don't "know" the answers already.

Trying to teach and enlighten those who already "Know" all the answers is much more difficult because they think they already have the answers.

Keep it up and get the word out Carnal... People who want to learn will listen... Those who don't...You just got to keep trying ...

Peace,

Daniel

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 04-22-2004
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

that was very well put daniel...

Old 04-22-2004
Chicle

Send a message via Yahoo to Vicky_D_

i'd buy the shirt only becouse it was calistinos idea
Old 04-22-2004
Krissy

I like the shirt idea myself!

The shirt is representing SoyChicano and we all know there is no Soy with out Sal.. I'll buy the shirt and when people ask me, "Whos that?" I'll say, "Webmaster of SoyChicano!" Then they'll run home, go online, check out the site, join and love it like the rest of us! .... And that's one of the many wasy SoyChicano will grow beautifully!

hehehe
Old 04-22-2004
The one and only
Presidente

I don't like heroes on shirts because what happened in high school. I had two Che shirts; one with the pop icon on the front with che and castro on the back and another with pics of Che that I have never seen on a shirt. I would teach about it and people were ok. Then one day, white boys start wearing it in high school, but didn't understand anything about Che. From that day on, I have not worn Che shirts anymore (except for the one that has sub-commandante Marcos, Zapata, and Che on the front, but has the zapatatistas on the back. Bought that one a few weeks ago.).
Old 04-26-2004
Maestro

i'm wearin the shirt i displayed right now.

No to be honest i don't know a lot on che, but enough to describe him when people ask. I want to get his autobiography, i think it's called motorcycle tails or something like that.

tecpaocelotl where u get those shirts

I have a bunch of puerto ricans in my class, and whenever they refer to me as hispanic, well they don't because i give them the whole esplanation. but they dread it and nobody cares around here.

like i said before i don't believe it is mocking che, maybe i'm wrong. But hey it's not up to me.
Old 04-26-2004
The one and only
Presidente

I mostly get my shirts in south LA (I think everybody does. LOL.). My new one I got it somewhere in the OC. Not sure where. LOL. There were so many at this one place, you would be shocked. I wanted one of Marcos, but they did a crappy job on making it so I picked the other one that I wanted.

It would be cool if there was this black and white image of Sal like that Che shirt you displayed, but please, no wannabe che.

Back in High school, I had this poem that I printed out called No quero taco bell or no taco bell chihuahua or something like that. But it's a poem about how icons influence our lives into believing something. At the end of the poem, Che throws the taco bell chihuahua into the grill and says he didn't die to become an icon. I had that poem on my binder for all to see. Forgot where I left it though... Right now I'm trying to find it on the net. Some Chicano poet wrote it.
Old 04-26-2004
Maestro

well see the whole get it from a store in L.A. poses a lil problem for me seeing i live in ohio.

do any of these places have a web page.

let me know if you find the poem
Old 04-26-2004
The one and only
Presidente

Store Most of these people who sell them, sell them in the market. Not sure if any have a web site.

If you find some on the web, they're probably pop icons. I'm anti pop icon. Why do you think I use an olmec painting of an aztatl (heron) and why do you think I use ocelotl (jaguars) in my signature banner? They aren't icons yet.

I haven't found that poem. Damn. Not sure where I seen the poem. I loved it. I shared it with a lot of people. I think that was the beginning of me being in the chicano movement. Before then, it was Xicano.
Old 04-26-2004
Estudiante

[quote="SweetSmiley22"]I like the shirt idea myself!

The shirt is representing SoyChicano and we all know there is no Soy with out Sal.. I'll buy the shirt and when people ask me, "Whos that?" I'll say, "Webmaster of SoyChicano!" Then they'll run home, go online, check out the site, join and love it like the rest of us! .... And that's one of the many wasy SoyChicano will grow beautifully!

hehehe[/quoThis is why I would buy it too!