Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > History

History Discussions relating to Historical topics about culture, religion, and/or regions. Topics need not be specific to or related to the Chicano Culture. However, Chicano History is more than welcome.

Old 06-22-2011
Travieso

Default Re: Native Americans and Asians did NOT have a common ancestor!

We all came from a space ship long long ago lol
Old 06-23-2011
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzizicpandacuare View Post
Would Ethnocentrics really argue humanity emerged in Africa?...

Depends on whose point of view and which group of ethnocentrists you ask..
Old 06-24-2011
Gunner

i co sign with all of you.
Old 06-24-2011
Fresh Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicanoDan View Post
I would say it comes from the same place as arguing against the Pyramids were built By Aliens Theory .. or arguing against the theory that Mayans and Aztecs practiced Mass Human sacrifices, .. Or against the misconception of catholicism and christianity somehow being a part of Chicano culture since forever..

Why is it easier to believe that life "Sprang" from the ground in Africa when in fact there is research that shows there were humanoid life forms in Northern Europe, Far east and northern Asia, Australia and India in roughly the same time period.. And if it's not a stretch to say that life evolved in different parts of the world simultaneously .. how much more of a stretch would it be to say that while happening on eastern continents.. Western continents had their share of life springing evolutionary events as well....

There is evidence that suggests all of that.. yet our EuroEducated minds lead us to cling to the least probable of theories that says hundreds of thousands of years of migration occurred over a period of thousands?
Guys, I think you're getting all of this issue wrong, by mixing up a lot of out-of-context ideas, and producing misconceptions in the process. As an old professor, back in my college time, used to say, “Bad data produce only bad results, and bad conclusions, ever”.

First, it's a very bad idea to discuss this in terms of razas, ethnicism, or ethnocentrism, because “race” is NOT a valid biological concept, as proven by plain examination of results of Human Genome Project: Humanity shares the same genetic basis, with less than 0.01 percent of difference between any given pair of individual humans on this planet. The physical, external differences, we ascribe to races, are just adaptations to local conditions, developed along the time, as humans spread over the earth.

Second, speciation is about gene pool, local conditions, and time, that are the prime factors in the Natural Selection equation. So, it's just reasonable to assume that one given species have a unique, particular, geographic point of origin. The current human species (Homo sapiens sapiens) is not an exception, appearing in Africa, around 160,000 years ago, as we can assume, based on the more ancient human fossils found there. Eventually, modern humans leave that continent and spreaded over the world since then. Our great genetic homogenity proves the common origin.

On a great span of time, maybe 120,000 years, our species shared the planet with two other kinds of humans, all originated from the same African phylogenetic root: Homo erectus, appeared over one million years ago in Africa, and later spreading all over Europe and Asia; and Nearderthals, that Science presumes appeared around 600,000 years ago, and posteriorlly evolved physycal adaptations to the Ice Age conditions, AFTER migrating to Europe. Due to untill now unknown processes, both species extinguished, or even were absorbed by our gene pool. (now... it's another BIG discussion, not worth to engage now).

But, the important fact to consider here is that American continent just have harbored human populations less than 45,000 years ago, as sustained by scientific data. Really, no matter how, or who came by, or by whatever means, humanity have originated out of America, colonizating this land very recently. I personally ever did think human history can be told over migratory waves and movements. The local environmental conditions in successive settlements, in very different geographic places, along thousands of generations, effectivelly molded bodies and cultures, creating our species' amazing diversity.

The available scientific evidences point out a multi-origin, successive migration waves, along at least 40,000 years, througout the continent. If we consider that Australia and Melanesia's first signs of human occupation date from 60,000 years ago, it's not difficult imagine people crossing the Pacific, or over Beringia, to South America (18,000 years old negroid skulls found in Lagoa Santa Region, southeastern Brazil, paleoindian settlement vestiges and rock paintings at northeastern Brazil), Asian hunter-gatherers crossing Beringia by 12,000 years ago, or Solutrčan Culture people crossing, or coasting the ice cap covering North Atlantic, by the same period (similar toolmaking technologies in chipped stone spearheads and cutting tools found both in America and Europe). All of this are considered by theories I feel not mutually excludant. Please, check out the references I posted above, in my first comment.

I really think this continent is like a big travel hub, where entire cultures, peoples and civilizations have coming and going continually along the millenia. I feel that all modern concerns and issues involving ethnical identity, aculturation, or cultural domination are just a continuation of this old story.
Old 06-24-2011
Prospect

thank you for the contribution Tupiniquim I think you hit a lot of good points.

I also don't see how humans could spring out of many different places.

I understand racism for a long time has and continues to distort our history but we should be able to distinguish between valid questions that we should consider and racist lies.

Last edited by Tzizicpandacuare; 06-24-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2011
Fresh Meat!

I agree with you, Tzizicpandacuare. Afterall, racism thrives on lies, ignorance, and misinformation, all wrapped in a good measure of arrogance and fear to the different (xenophobia, for example). The only way to counter it is with education, information, and free trade of ideas, without prejudice or biases. And a good measure of good will and tolerance. Right? Saludos!
Old 07-08-2011
Prospect

No common ancestor?

Then we are separate species?

Then how come we were able to be raped by Spaniards and reproduce children?
How come we can mate with Asians and reproduce more human beings?

C'mon, people. Let's be scientific, like our ancestors.
Old 07-10-2011
Fresh Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicanTlaca View Post
No common ancestor?

Then we are separate species?

Then how come we were able to be raped by Spaniards and reproduce children?
How come we can mate with Asians and reproduce more human beings?

C'mon, people. Let's be scientific, like our ancestors.
Not separate species. We are one species, ok? Just remember the results of Human Genome Project: less than 0.01 percent of difference between any given pair of individual humans on the Earth. Also, it is a strong indication of a common origin for the entire humankind.

Modern humans have one only point of origin - Africa - then spreaded over the world, over a time span of 80,000 years. The American continent was colonized several times, over the last 45,000 years, for people coming from Asia, Oceania and Europe, during the last Ice Age. We know this based on the available scientific data by several fields, ranging from genetics to archaeology and physical anthropology. Please, refer to the explanations given above.

The successive migratory waves, to different places, over time, produced the genetic, cultural and physical diversity, caracteristic of the native populations of America. In the past, and in the present day.

Well, I know it's difficult to consider facts over such huge time scale, but that's what we can infer based on the available scientific evidences.

Maybe it would sound as anatema to some people, but the XVI Century european colonizers can be seen as the last big migratory wave over American continent, of this point of view.

By studying History, we know that humans ever fought over territories and resources, using ideology, religion or politics as motives. It don't justify the horrors of the past, but can explain it. It certainlly not heal the wounds, but can be a first step to help us to overcome hatred, ignorance and fear, that fuel evils like xenophoby or racism.

That's my opinion.
Old 11-20-2011
Fresh Meat!

Very interesting.. as we have said over and over "We have always been here!"
Old 11-20-2011
Gunner

..but look at the nose; Africans, Asians, and Natives of the Americas have that nose then look at the Brits & Spanish. Idk though, It's what I think & seen.
Old 06-28-2014
Prospect

I still think they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Chicahua11 View Post
We all came from a space ship long long ago lol
yup.

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 06-29-2014 at 09:07 PM.