Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Education

Education A place where students of any grade or anyone doing research can ask for assistance or guidance. Working on a project... share your progress.

Old 03-19-2011
Travieso

Send a message via AIM to Lil_JRO Send a message via MSN to Lil_JRO Send a message via Yahoo to Lil_JRO
Default Need info please help.

So I haven't really been on here in many months, but I know here we do have a few educated folks and some not so much, but I was wanting to know if anybody knows about any websites that can give me more information about a specific type of degree. I have no college whatsoever since I graduated a couple years ago. I enlisted into the military and I'm still on active duty so I do have resources, example "Our Education Office". Truthfully I haven't had any help I've asked a few friends who are also active duty and are attending classes information but its always the same response, "What degree do you want to get". For instance one printed out all these types of degrees like Bachelors in international criminal justice, Fire Science, Emergency Management, etc. My question is I have no clue what jobs exactly I can do with these degrees. I refuse to be another generation in my family who does not seek a higher education. None of my friends back home are going to school, so theres no help there but if anybody on here knows please could you pass me some info as to helpful websites. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Default Re: Need info please help.

Ok, maybe the best question is not "what kind of degree do you want?" but a better question would be:

What do you want to do in life or what kind of job do you want?

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 03-19-2011
Travieso

Send a message via AIM to Lil_JRO Send a message via MSN to Lil_JRO Send a message via Yahoo to Lil_JRO

Thats the thing I sometimes feel like I don't know what exactly I want to do, but for the most part I want to start taking classes rather than waiting and waiting til I figure out what exactly I want to do. For instance right now in the military I'm a medic so I have a basic understanding in Emergency Health and Nursing (DISLIKE NURSING VERY MUCH LOL), but its not a job I chose to do when I enlisted I simply got placed into it. I hate that I feel clueless I hope I'm not the only one, cause I have friends in the military who just right away knew what college and what degree to go for and I'm stuck as to "how the hell do I do that" I know I'm not those "Oh, college just isn't for me" because I know it is, I just dont know how to...get that first foot into the door.
Old 03-19-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Well it wouldn't be good for you to try to work towards a degree you don't even know if you'll like. My suggestion for you is to take classes in different fields that peak interest in you...one at a time. If you don't like that field, move on to the next one. Once you figure out what you'd like to study, you can begin to figure out what you want to do in life and what degree you need.

Since you're still on active duty, would you be able to attend actual classes? If not, you might want to consider online classes to see if that's something you can do.

Old 03-19-2011
Travieso

Yes being active duty still allows me to attend an actual class or like the majority of people who are in the military can just go online. One good thing is while being active duty I can take classes and have it covered up to a certain amount per semester without paying a dime as long as I'm passing the class. But, they won't let us just pick classes just to take for the heck of it, from what I was told they lay out the classes you need to take for a certain degree and they'll cover for those classes but only those classes. So theres no help in that unless I apply for scholarships grants etc. But even to find where I can find that stuff I have no clue, I've googled around looking but I dont know what websites I can actually trust and which ones are just BS.
Old 03-20-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

You could at least begin taking your general education courses. Every degree pretty much requires them and it will take you about 3 semesters to finish them. By then you may have a better idea of what you want to become.

Last edited by Cal; 03-20-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-20-2011
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

What Calamanani said. Getting those general ones out the way could save you a lot of time when you finally pick your degree of choice.
Quote:
Bachelors in international criminal justice, Fire Science, Emergency Management, etc.
what made you choose those fields?

I would assume that the international criminal justice you could work for national agencies, like NSA, Interpol maybe, FBI, ect.

Fire science i would assume that maybe, you could do pyro technics with that. Also probably used to become a fire man/chief, if not a fire Marshall.fire investigator.

Emergency management, thats like Fema, but every city and county have emergency management personal. But that also goes into like Fire Department command staff personal, like with communications and how to respond to natural disasters as well as man made ones, like a bomb, or gas leak or something like that.

On the local levels when i am around those people it is usually people from the red cross, fire department, EMS(if they are not part of the fire department in that city), police, then overall managers and other tech communication peoples to run the phone centers, computer inputting, ect. With more and more digital stuff i would assume they need to learn the programs and shit.
Old 03-20-2011
Travieso

I want to thank you all for giving an input into my post. Luckily I got a call from an advisor from Kaplan University which is where most of my wingmen do their online courses, so she was able to give me more advice also, and @Nelio the reason my friend pulled up those degrees is because I've always wanted to be a D.E.A agent. With all that has been happening in mexico it really made me want to put some part into it. But I've been looking into getting out of the AirForce but before I do that get into the Fire Dept. Here in San Antonio so hopefully all goes well. But once again thanks for commenting.
Old 01-24-2012
Fresh Meat!

Think back to when you were a kid. What were you doing when you felt the happiest?

Was it telling jokes? Maybe you want a degree in communications where you can share your thoughts with others. That would include journalism, broadcast journalism, teaching.

Did you feel happiest when you were putting together model planes? Maybe you should think about engineering or architecture.

The thing is you have to do something that makes you happy. So think back to your happiest memories and see how that relates to a career.

Hope that helps.

Piquin
Old 01-25-2012
Maestro

It is a little late, seeing it has been a year but here is an excel spreadsheet with scholarships to search for opportunities.
Old 01-25-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino View Post
It is a little late, seeing it has been a year but here is an excel spreadsheet with scholarships to search for opportunities.
Holy crap that's an amazing amount of information. I'm actually gonna circulate this myself if you don't mind?