Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Finance, Business, & Employment

Finance, Business, & Employment Stocks, Bonds, Money Market, Management, Personal Finances; Business Talk, Home Businesses; MLMs; Financial Opportunities; Employment, Help Wanted, Resumes

Old 05-16-2010
Maestro

Default Are you looking for a job?

Alright people i though i would take a few minutes to share some tips to try and help you to get a job. With the way things are right now, there are a lot of unemployed people all trying to land the same job. Which means, hiring managers have a lot of applicants for each vacant position that we post. I am writing some easy tips for you to follow from what’s on your resume all the way to interviewing.

I have been a hiring manager for a few years and I have seen many a applicants come through my door. Some good.... and some just unforgettable. I guess i am writing these tips out of frustration on how some people just don’t understand some of the basics which they should have learned had they taken at least a basic business course in college.... hell or even an economics class in high school which is where my teacher taught me. The following is just from my own experience in dealing with applicants. It you value it, cool and I hope it helps. If you disagree with me... well then go stick your finger when the sun don’t shine and tell someone who cares.

I will try and keep it simple.

Resume -
If you do not know how to write up a Resume, either read up on Resume writing or go to someone who does know how. Writing a resume can be a little difficult to do if you dont have any idea what you are doing. A resume simply put it gives the person hiring an idea about your experience, your education, or any other relevant information which will determine if you are a fit for the open position. Some of the basic information that needs to be on your resume are: Contact information, work experience, education, any certifications, and any other valuable information which you want to include to show that you have what it takes to do the job. Ok now with that said..... here are some tips on your resume.

1. Keep it short.
For the love of God, please keep it down to 2 pages MAX. Yes you want to include a lot of information; however managers do not have the time to read through EVERYTHING. Nor do we want to. Personally I don’t bother to even read a resume that is longer that 3 pages, those go straight to the trash bin. I once got a resume that was 7 pages long... Ayy people.

2. Keep it simple
Do not cloud you resume with junk. Keep it simple and straight to point. If you qualify for the position because of your work experience, then that should be first thing I should read about. Tell me what experience you have that is RELATIVE to the open position. How does working as a paperboy relate to trying to get a job as a computer technician? It doesn’t so don’t add it! Also dont add EVERY single job you have worked your entire life. If you worked somewhere for a month, you could not have learned anything valuable, so please omit that type of experience because it isnt any. Start with your most recent experience and work your way back. If you qualify because of your education, list that information first followed after by your experience. I should not have to hunt for information on your resume to see if you are qualified.

3. Blanket Resume
Don’t create one generic resume and use that to apply for any position. Take a few minutes and change your resume to reflect the job you are applying for.

4. Tell the truth
Don’t beef up your resume with work you haven’t done or titles your never reached. If something doesn’t add up, and if I interview you and catch you in a lie you have just wanted both out times. Just be honest. Simple.

5. Spell Check
A person who is not detailed enough to even go through their own resume might not be detailed enough for the open position. Go through your resume, have your friends go through it, hell even have your mom read it and have them point out any flaws. There is no excuse for this one.

Now as a manager, here are some red flags for me when I go over your resume.

No stable work history - if you resume shows that you jump from job to job to job to job I’m not going to hire you. I’m looking to fill a permanent position with the right candidate that will stay in the position for a long time.

Gaps in work history - If you have gaps in your work history after every job, I will want to know why. Did you get fired from each job? Maybe not but that’s what I might be thinking. Be prepared to be questioned on it.

You smell Fish - Simple if your resume seems fishy, I won’t waste my time. Some examples are if you say you are a department manager, however your department was a whole 2 people. Fishy! If you say you got laid off from a company in March but the company had gone under in January.... Fishy. Again this all goes back to just being honest.

Well I honestly didn’t think I would write so much. So much for quick tips. Well I wont waste your time all at once and I guess I will just break out these tips into sessions. Next time I will give you some tips on what to do after you have submitted your resume.

Guess if you have any questions about this just ask.

Last edited by sanchosataro; 05-16-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Nobody is perfect, i make mistakes
Old 05-17-2010
Veterano

Default Re: Are you looking for a job?

How do you weed out the people who have great interview skills, great resume, great references, but has mental problems. I mean weird mental problem.

I have seen that happen many times.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 05-17-2010
Maestro

If they have mental problems then thats on them to make sure they dont let it interfeer with the work that they are hired for. As long as they do the work that i ask for and get along with my team without any problems, they can be mental all they want. Now i do let them know that they are on a 90 day probation period from the point of getting hired. If there is a problem, I can let them go at any time without having to fill out a lot of paperwork. If they get mental after that time, then i go through HR and find a solution that will work for them.
Old 05-17-2010
Estudiante

What about degree inflation? That is, do hiring managers put a lot of emphasis on a specific degree when they look to fill an opening or do they look at the big picture, focusing on analytical skills etc. in general? (If the job demands that.)

Because honestly, these days you have to have a friggin Master's degree in hairdressing to become a hairdresser. /rant

"Y entonces nadie preguntará quién sembró lo que se cosecha" - Subcommandante Marcos

Stand up for the Underdog,
Speak for the Unspoken.

Old 05-17-2010
Gunner

Send a message via MSN to chicana323 Send a message via Yahoo to chicana323

There is nothing better than owning your own business... Even if its selling tamales at the neighboorhood supermarket parking lot lol...

A lot of bs in the corporate world!
Old 05-17-2010
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

good thread... thanks for sharing this stuff w/ our community SS...

Too many of our folks don't know how to write a resume let alone how to interview... it's these nuances and shit that need to be passed on from folks who know to those who don't...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 05-17-2010
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

Don't forget the Option of having more than one resume. This helps prevent the "inflated" resume and help focus the job you are applying for since it won't be as random.
Old 05-17-2010
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

I like how people just leave you in application limbo. Fuck, an automated "no" would be just fine. Don't just leave me hanging.
Old 05-17-2010
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

as i was applying to the programs i was applying i learned that there is something called a Curriculum Vitae that academics have to develop... it's basically an educational resume...

that shit can be as long as it needs to be.... my CV as of now stands at a meager 4 pages....

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 05-17-2010
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
as i was applying to the programs i was applying i learned that there is something called a Curriculum Vitae that academics have to develop... it's basically an educational resume...

that shit can be as long as it needs to be.... my CV as of now stands at a meager 4 pages....
My roommate is ALWAYS working on her CV.

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 05-17-2010
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Good info! thanks (:

Old 05-17-2010
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasmina View Post
What about degree inflation? That is, do hiring managers put a lot of emphasis on a specific degree when they look to fill an opening or do they look at the big picture, focusing on analytical skills etc. in general? (If the job demands that.)

Because honestly, these days you have to have a friggin Master's degree in hairdressing to become a hairdresser. /rant
Dont do it. Big companies do backround checks and if something comes back fishy, then theres a problem. If you say you got your bachelors and the report comes back that you never finished, that can be enough to take you back to the unemployment line. What a manager will focus on does really depends on the job. When i am hiring, i am looking for the right combination of both. Generally if the position is entry level, a degree might be more valuable than experience. If its not entry level, then its Vice Versa. Again it just depends. Oh and also just because the job post says the job requires a degree, dont let it discourage you. if you feel you can do the job, dont be afraid to go for it.
Old 05-17-2010
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicanachick View Post
My roommate is ALWAYS working on her CV.
you're roommate is in grad school or an undergrad?

Old 05-17-2010
Gunner

Good post, not looking for a job but good information here.
Old 05-17-2010
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
you're roommate is in grad school or an undergrad?
Undergrad.

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 05-18-2010
Veterano

Quote:

I would not call 4 pages meager....
those that have more are probably older...
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 05-18-2010
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicanachick View Post
Undergrad.
damn... she's ahead of where i was at that stage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela View Post
I would not call 4 pages meager....
those that have more are probably older...
That's true... Thanks for the perspective, Chave...

Old 05-23-2010
Maestro

Default Looking for a Job? part II

Alright continuing on my world acclaimed post of getting a job ... now that have your resume, now it’s time to go and look for a job.

Where to look - The days of driving around and asking if someone is hiring is pretty much over. With the internet readily available everywhere, employers are turning to job posting sites to post their availability. This make is easier for them to post the jobs and weed out potential candidates without having to ever speak with them. This also allows job seekers to be able to find more job postings without having to waste gas and energy. Here are some sites that i have had success with:

Indeed.com - This site is great. It searches all other job search sites as well as private companies’ sites and others. There are no advertisement banners and the site is quick. Also it’s very easy to use and has some added features such as salary information which is helpful. This is my top pick.

Monster.com - Good site with a lot of postings. Many big employees route their open positions through Monster. The site is slow sometimes because of all the banners and can be a little cumbersome to use if you are not used to it.

Dice.com - If you are in the IT field, this is the site you want to search. This site is just for IT related jobs. It’s a good site and easy to navigate and use. If you log in to the site, you can keep track of what jobs you have already applied for and also give you better search results.

There are countless other job boards out there. If possible try to find one that is specific to the job that you are interested in. If You want that good paying job, take a few hours out of your super busy day and focus on searching around and for goodness sakes READ the job description will you. Don’t just go off the posting title and apply. Read the description, the work involved, the requirements, the pay, and assigned duties and make sure it’s something you know or are willing to do.

When you come across a job post which you feel is right up your alley, Make sure you read it completely before you apply. Some companies require you to include some additional information when you apply such as a Cover letter and Salary history along with your resume. I am not going to go into detail about these because you can search for that online yourself just like i did a long time ago A cover letter is just a quick hello to whoever gets your resume with a brief summary of you qualifications. A salary history is just that, a history of how much you made at other jobs. These are simple items you can research and do on your own.

OK so now for some Don’ts

DONT get cute and fancy with your paperwork. Get down to the nuts and bolts and give me the information im looking for when you submit.

DONT apply with half ass crap. If your resume is not 100%, or your salary history is not complete, hold off on that Apply button. Hello one of the things that I’m trying to instill in you is to be prepared BEFORE you apply. We can spot resumes and other documents who were put together half assed and that my friend doesn’t look good for you.

DONT rush the application process. Some companies require you to answer some questions about you, or your experience when applying. Take these questions serious and answer them as best you can. These questions are filters us manager use. If you dont get a certain score, your resumes are automatically weeded out.

After you have applied:

DONT fix yourself on one job. If you found the perfect job online and applied, good job however keep on searching. Just because you feel that you are perfect for that job, doesn’t mean you are the only one to apply for it.

DONT ..... and i know some of your have heard the opposite... DONT try to call the hiring manager to try and find the status of your application. I know some people say Yes to call so that they (managers) can get the feeling that you are interested and a go getter. However the truth is we are busy and have other things to do. If you call and ask on a status, unless your application completely blew me out of the water, i will have no idea who you are. All you will get from me is that we are looking at all the qualified candidates and will make a decision when the right candidate is found. We don’t really have to time to go through all the resumes, find yours, review the notes, and then tell you if it was good or not. Simply put, if you qualify, you should hear from us. If you don’t then...

DONT get butthurt. Just because you applied doesn’t mean someone will tell if you didn’t qualify. Some companies actually do, most don’t. Just send off your resume and keep your phone lines open in case you get called for an interview.

Alright i will admit, i am tired and so that’s all i can think of for this part. Next time, I will discuss the phone interview (DUN DUN DUN). Its not a scary some people make it out to be.

As always, if you have a question about anything i discussed, feel free to ask.
Old 05-24-2010
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

//Topic Merged

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 06-29-2010
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Okay I am job hunting, however I am a student. My resume has the activities I have participated it while in high school and college. I have only had one job, and that was being a tutor. I guess what I am asking is how should my resume look like.

Old 06-29-2010
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

I think you have to put the pertinent activities that you've done in order to bolster your resume....

Old 06-29-2010
Gunner

...and dress to impress...
Old 06-29-2010
Maestro

Lots of cleavage?
Old 07-02-2010
Maestro

haha you guys are funny.

Well I am still job hunting, but I would like to give out a few tips. Avoid scams. I have been called back about 4 jobs 3 were scams. Trust me I avoided the ad's that looked too good to be true, $16 an hour doing something not specified. I google companies I start typing ex Vector and Vector scam comes up on auto thing. I don't apply. But for some reason I have still managed to apply for non legit jobs.

So just a tip out there I am sure Sanchosatoro can elaborate.

As for the job I was called back for, the man was very nice; however, he said he would be doing his company a disservice by hiring someone who would leave in two months since I am only here for the Summer. So therefore I continue to be jobless.

goodnight.

Old 07-02-2010
Maestro

Strip!