Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Finance, Business, & Employment

Finance, Business, & Employment Stocks, Bonds, Money Market, Management, Personal Finances; Business Talk, Home Businesses; MLMs; Financial Opportunities; Employment, Help Wanted, Resumes

Old 12-07-2008
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio
Default Incentives for NOT HAVING KIDS.

Should there be any? Why or why not? If yes, what should they be?

Heard this convo going on on the radio the other night.

Basically it is like this, when ya have kids you get tax breaks. At the job you get time off for sick kids. Women get maternity leave. There are others, but i can not remember them right now.

Shouldnt the single and/or childless people get breaks and incentives as well? Your there at the job. You have less distractions, ect.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2008
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Default Re: Incentives for NOT HAVING KIDS.

first

freepost
Old 12-07-2008
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmanani View Post
first

freepost

as for the question of this thread.

I'm not sure, it all depends on the incentive.
Old 12-08-2008
Director

Getting your genes out in the gene pool. That's an incentive

" What is past and cannot be prevented should not be grieved for" - American Indian Proverb

nighter1 debunks his own post

nighter1 cannot answer my question - OWNED.

nighter1's display of stupidity: Calls Black Taco's 'Racist'
Old 12-08-2008
Director

not having to care for another human life is an incentive within itself... ppl w/out kids should enjoy that as long as they can...
Old 12-08-2008
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

overpopulation

plenty of kids to adopt

wrecked vagina
Old 12-08-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliPac View Post
not having to care for another human life is an incentive within itself... ppl w/out kids should enjoy that as long as they can...
That's the only one that I can think of.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 12-08-2008
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipac
not having to care for another human life is an incentive within itself... ppl w/out kids should enjoy that as long as they can..
Possibly. But that is/was your choice to hav e the kids, so why should you get incentives for having them, when it was your choice? Right?
Old 12-08-2008
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
Possibly. But that is/was your choice to hav e the kids, so why should you get incentives for having them, when it was your choice? Right?

The incentives are already there so, why not?
Old 12-08-2008
Presidente

And there goes the question again. Why give/get them? Why are they there? Should they be there?
Old 12-09-2008
Director

Quote:
why should you get incentives for having them, when it was your choice?
they are called dependants for a reason... just as a wife that doesn't work is as well.... & just as single ppl can claim themselves... more dependants, more incentives. Makes sense to me. No?

Last edited by CaliPac; 12-09-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-09-2008
Presidente

You only get incentives for 2 kids though. You can claim all your kids, but you will only get cash for 2 of them.

Still, valid points all the way around.
Old 12-09-2008
Director

really? I didnt know that. Good thing I stopped @ 2...

the rest would have not been able sport the the shirt;

Old 12-09-2008
Travieso

free labor, you don't pay for the lawn mowing, and you don't gotta pay for a retirement home or nursery, just go live with your kids, get shit load of tax deduction and you get more excusses for a day off work aka "i aint got no babysitter" and if your a single parent, damn you hit the jack pot.
Old 12-09-2008
Veterano

Send a message via Yahoo to Mousiie

Why would a single person without any dependants need any of the incentives listed?
Old 12-09-2008
Presidente

For the same reason a person with dependants need them. Cause times are hard and the government taxes and fucks people over as is.
Old 12-09-2008
Director

lol..

ok... here are a few "incentives";

you don't have to feed anyone other than yourself.
you don't have to put clothes on anyone's back, other than yourself.
you don't have to provide a roof over anyone's head, other than yourself.
you don't have to provide medical ins for anyone, other than yourself.
you don't have to pay for babysitting/daycare.
you don't have to pay a co-pay for a doctor visit if your already sick.
you don't have to pay child support if & when you split from your significant other.

& best of all... you don't have to deal with someone whom you could possibly end up hating, for the rest of your life. (the best things in life are free lol)

i'm sure there's many more "incentives" others can throw out there.

Last edited by CaliPac; 12-09-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-09-2008
Director

Quote:
agreed
Old 12-10-2008
Veterano

Quote:
For the same reason a person with dependants need them. Cause times are hard and the government taxes and fucks people over as is.
Sorry times are hard Nelio, but people that are responsible for other's wellbeing are feeling that a lil bit harder than someone that is only responsible for themself. Myself for example, I'm a mother of 4 kids. Single mom and although child support is "ordered" its rarely paid. Oh wait, sorry.. I think I got $30 last month. I work full time and to my knowledge I don't "get" any extras added on to my benefits package. Whatever "incentives" I do get by being a single mother (ie: tax incentives, sliding fee daycare ect) isn't really for me, its for them so that I can better take care of them. Anyways, if I were not a mother, I'd be able to effectively work two jobs if necessary, my expenses would be dramatically lower and I wouldn't have to worry about anyone other than myself. I wouldn't hurt anyone but myself if I was irresponsible and just looking for a handout. And believe me, before I had kids I did work two jobs and go to school. Now that I have kids, its harder to do all that. I can't go to school but I still do have to work long hours to maintain my household on one income and then still struggle to make it. Sometimes one job isn't enough when you have growing mouths to feed. Plus I have to pay someone to raise my kids, which easily takes 40% of my income off the bat. Even in a two parent household, there are many more struggles that a single person does not have to face. Not to say that the struggles of singles are not hard, just saying that I don't honestly see the greater "need" of "incentives" to be given to those without dependants.

Just to clarify, most companies offer the same amount of sick time to all employees. You can take them off FOR care of a sick child, but I'm not aware of getting MORE time because you have a child. After those days are taken up, days off are unpaid. Being that parents may need to take time off to care for a sick child, it leaves LESS time for them to take off when they themselves are sick. Daycares refuse to take on children that may be sick. And sick child care is highly expensive. And if you have a child with an extended medical issue, many companies require you take a extended leave of absence either paid or unpaid. Maternity leave is considered a MEDICAL issue. Being that it takes a minimum of 6 weeks to physically recouperate after having a baby, its unrealistic to expect mothers to come to work sooner than that. Many companies ONLY offer 6 weeks and after that you must take a extended leave of absence either unpaid or paid, depending on company benefits. Its no different than a single person requiring major surgery and needing to take time off for that medical reason. So I don't see that as being an "incentive" really. In the case where fathers are offered leave, it is so that they are able to care for their dependants. I don't know if you've ever experienced having a baby Nelio, but its quite hard to get around afterwards. Also, it should be noted that company policy on benefits can and do vary. Myself, I've even lost jobs because I needed to take time off to care for a sick child and didn't have the time to take and no one to help me.

All in all, I think rather than focusing on what you can "get" for not having kids, you should appreciate that you don't have anyone to care for other than yourself. So if you fuck up, not a big deal. Your not bringing anyone else down with you.

Quote:
lol..

ok... here are a few "incentives";

you don't have to feed anyone other than yourself.
you don't have to put clothes on anyone's back, other than yourself.
you don't have to provide a roof over anyone's head, other than yourself.
you don't have to provide medical ins for anyone, other than yourself.
you don't have to pay for babysitting/daycare.
you don't have to pay a co-pay for a doctor visit if your already sick.
you don't have to pay child support if & when you split from your significant other.

& best of all... you don't have to deal with someone whom you could possibly end up hating, for the rest of your life. (the best things in life are free lol)

i'm sure there's many more "incentives" others can throw out there.
co~sign.. you shoulda been my baby daddy.. j/p kinda.. jaja

Last edited by Mousiie; 12-10-2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2008
Estudiante

Mousiie, I totally understand what you are saying on the employment part, although I’m not a mother yet I want to make sure that when I have children I’m mentally and economically prepared to do so.
Old 12-10-2008
Veterano

No one is ever really truly prepared to have kids. Things come up that you might not anticipate. Its just the way it is. But it is good to try to be as prepared as possible before having children, no doubt.
Old 12-10-2008
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousiie View Post
co~sign.. you shoulda been my baby daddy.. j/p kinda.. jaja

WTF you mean kinda?????????????
Old 12-10-2008
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousiie
All in all, I think rather than focusing on what you can "get" for not having kids, you should appreciate that you don't have anyone to care for other than yourself. So if you fuck up, not a big deal. Your not bringing anyone else down with you.
You seem to confusing me with someone who is complaining. I just posted a conversation i heard on the radio and thought i bring it up here. I am arguing the other side because no one here seems to agree with it.

I far from complain. I understand needs and situations. I am not privilaged and know plenty of single parents THO i agree on some parts that Women get off more and get paid for it. I know it is how things are.

So thank you for YOUR STORY.

But as the host of the show i was listening to would say, "THAT WAS YOUR DECISION TO HAVE THOSE KIDS". Thats what he would say to a story like yours.

Me i see it as a everyday run of the mill story. What is normal in alot of cases these days. Like i said, i am JUST PLAYING devil's advocate.

As to your working 2 jobs comment, yes you can do that and the government will garnish more wages from you and you will see less come tax time. You will more then likely have to pay back as well, as has happened to me a few times. Hell not even going over the 25k a yr mark. SO trust me, i too know what your saying, i too have been there. But i also know things can be a little screwy on all sides.
Old 12-10-2008
Director

Quote:
But as the host of the show i was listening to would say, "THAT WAS YOUR DECISION TO HAVE THOSE KIDS". Thats what he would say to a story like yours.
true... but "most" people dont have kids because of the "incentives". It's not like they outweigh the burden and/or responsibilities on a monetary level.

Which is why the choice to "not have kids"... provides incentives within itself. The incentives would be not having fulfill the responsibilities of those that "did choose to have kids".
Old 12-10-2008
Presidente

Oh yea, i know. But some out there think that, even if ya are working and paying your own bills, if ya have kids you still some how are feeding off the tax payers. Or at least thats how i heard a few callers kind of describe.

LIke i said, i fully understand parents plights, especially single parent plights.

I had to have a talk about it with my eldest nephew yesterday while i was driving him back to my house cause my sister can not deal with him anymore. She is at ends wit and can she doesnt know how to take out her frustrations anymore. SO i had to explain to him why she is kind how she is and some of the possible reasons.