Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Artist's Lounge > Artwork, Arte, Image, Graphics Talk > Graphic Programs

Graphic Programs Discuss topics about 2D/3D Graphic programs such as Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Illustrator, Studio max, Flash, etc... Tips and Tricks, techniques.

Old 11-16-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Help on making an image bigger...

Anyway, I need help on making an image bigger.

A coworker wants to give an image of his parent's top of their wedding cake and practically wants to blow it up. Any help or pointers?

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 11-16-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero
Default Re: Help on making an image bigger...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
Anyway, I need help on making an image bigger.

A coworker wants to give an image of his parent's top of their wedding cake and practically wants to blow it up. Any help or pointers?
Well, you could blow it up on photoshop. You probably want to increase the physical resolution, increase the canvas size, scale the picture, and possibly followed by some filtering such as blurring to hide the original pixellation. If the image is high resolution already then you probably don't need to worry about pixellation artifacts.

Samuel Adams
Old 11-16-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

How do I increase physical resolution? The rest I can do. What do you mean pixellation artifacts? I suck at photoshop terms.

Old 11-16-2006
A su servicio
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El_arriero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
How do I increase physical resolution? The rest I can do. What do you mean pixellation artifacts? I suck at photoshop terms.
Go to "Image" --> "Canvas size..." to change canvas size. This lets you change the size of the canvas, but not the image.

Go to "Image" --> "Image size..." to change resolution. You will see there is a way of changing the image dimensions (height and width) as well as resolution. Make sure you have "constrain proportions" clicked on. Also, note that you can change the resolution and the dimensions at the same time. If you have "constrain proportions" clicked it will automatically adjust one dimension when you change the other dimension. However, if you first do not change the size of the canvas size, then the enlarged image will spill over the edges and be cut off.

If you zoom in on a picture, eventually you will be able to see the square pictures. If it is a low-res pic, then after a little enlargement you will start to see square lines for the original pixels, which looks crappy, even though you increased the resolution. You may have to blur out these lines using the filter options if this is the case. That or just be careful not to over-enlarge etc.

Samuel Adams
Old 11-16-2006
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

The problem with what you are guys are describing is that you aren't doing much in terms of quality. All you are doing is changing the file size.

Photoshop is good an interpolating pixels but if all depends how large of an image you want and what size is the original. If you do it too much, you are going to get a very messy pixelated image. If you blur it, then it'll turn into a very messy pixelated image that is blurry
Old 11-16-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
If you do it too much, you are going to get a very messy pixelated image. If you blur it, then it'll turn into a very messy pixelated image that is blurry
I think that's is going to happen with the image. My co-worker wants it big, but the image is small. Someone (damn you my manager) told him that I do stuff on photoshop (All I know is editing pics, nothing on making it bigger.).

Old 12-06-2007
Chicle

Talking Re: Help on making an image bigger...

I suppose this suggestion is a month late..however, ...it still might be useful.
When trying to increase the size of an image in photoshop from small to say, the size of a Poster you can try the following:
Load the image into Photoshop, then go to the menu at the top and select "image", scroll down to "image size", next go to "document size" and click "inches" then choose "percent", now type in "110' on the left hand side.
Finally choose "bicubic Smoother" at the bottom of the window. Click "ok" and repeat the process until the picture is as large as you want it. You will notice the increase is very small...HOWEVER...if you are lazy like me you can do one more thing to automate the process...Go to the Menu and choose "Window" and select "Actions" ..a little window pops open and at the bottom of that window right next to the picture of the trash can is a picture that looks like a "post-it" pad, ...click on this to "create new action" and click "Record" then run through the same directions you did before and when you are done click the little "square" button on the left of the "Action" window. Now all you need do is press the little arrow button and the picture will get larger and larger with each click. Hope this has been helpful and not too wordy.