Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Entertainment > Books

Books Discuss here about your favorite reads.

Old 09-16-2004
Fresh Meat!

a child called it is such a good book it is really sad too. It made me cry
Old 09-16-2004
Mocoso

...how about everybody who nominates a book says a bit about it and/or why he wants it to be read and we put a deadline for nominations?
Then we make a list of all nominations and the voting begins?

I think that would make things easier...

Just my 2cents...

\"Saving love doesn\'t bring any interest.\"-- Mae West

\"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it.\"
Old 09-16-2004
Maestro

i'm with sd i haven't even been able to read the current book i'm half way in "companero " by jorge g. castaneda i would love to do it though....definatly start a summer session for all of us who are buisy during the school year.

i like chicano dan's choice drink cultura....it's an awsome book and it relates to us. i found it very appealing as well as my dad. also i recomend
we will rise by kurly tlapoyawa good book, talks about our history and what not. all the browner then you's probably would like it, but i thought it was informative as long as you don't get stuck in the past by reading it.

and a book i bought but haven't gotten to yet recommended by a former member srchicano - the labyrinth of solitude by octavio paz

but good luck and think about a summer book lub for all us students
Old 09-16-2004
Juarol

I like the idea ese Suave!!... I vote on "Drink Cultura" Chicanismo book! it sounds interesting.
Old 09-16-2004
Travieso

Funny how I was just thinking about going to Barnes and Noble and finding some good books to read. I have a few hours to myself now that my lil girl started school, I really need something good to read while I wait for her. Drink Cultura sounds like a good one, it has my vote.

By the way, that was a great idea Suave
Old 09-16-2004
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Send a message via AIM to SNH Send a message via Yahoo to SNH

Cool idea! Great idea actually.

On a side note, I moved this topic to the BOOKS forum since the CLUB forum is more for discotec type clubs.
Old 09-16-2004
SuaveHighTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal
Cool idea! Great idea actually.

On a side note, I moved this topic to the BOOKS forum since the CLUB forum is more for discotec type clubs.
Lol, i couldnt find the thread for the life of me. I didnt even notice the "books" section a couple spaces underneath the "clubs", sorry.

But wow, i got any even bigger response then i expected! This is gonna be fun!

So far, "Drink Cultura" is at the top of the charts. If more people express an interest in this book, then so be it!
Old 09-16-2004
deletedAccount

I think classics would be take too long to read and not everybody has so much free time.....Short books like Drink Cultura would be just perfect......here's another great book

Chicana Falsa by Michele Serros, its only 10 bucks..its short but sweet, and also cheap
Old 09-16-2004
Mocoso

Send a message via AIM to Lowrider56 Send a message via MSN to Lowrider56 Send a message via Yahoo to Lowrider56

I misunderstood the initial post. I immediately assumed it would pertain to chicano/a authors and thought that would be great since it would be a way for some of us to learn more about our culture. Then I read the list of classics and said "Oh S**t! I tried reading some of those books before and fell asleep during the introduction and never went back to them...jeje! I think it is a good idea, and if it happens to be a book a person is not interested in, I suppose they could just wait until the next one, right?
Old 09-16-2004
Administrator
Travieso

i'd be intertested in this book club.

i agree in that, this site being chicano iriented, the book selected should be as well.

for those that think it might not be a good idea to pick not-so-short books...well. how bout picking a few books, maybe 3 or 4 that are selected, and that way each of us can pick which one we'd like to read. Im sure not 100% everybody would be intersted in the one single book selected. Then maybe like a month later, each group from each book can discuss it. heck for those of you who are fast readers and/or ahve more spare time, can even read more than 1 book. In the follwoing cycle, maybe 1 of those books can be re-selected and new ones selected. ........just a thought.
Old 09-16-2004
SuaveHighTimes

i guess the only problem with that Majic is perhaps ruining the ending or other parts of the book for those who havent gone on to the next book.

And i like the chicano authors idea too. But we should be open to all literature. One boring classic doesnt speak for all classical books, know what i mean lowrider?

What i plan to do, is keep a note of all books mentioned in this thread. By this time next thursday, i will list the books nominated and we can all vote on what we'd like to read that month.

If the majortiy wishes for Chicano, cool. If a classic is chosen, then so be it. In the meantime, nominate the book of your choice, and we'll eventually see what the majority rules.
Old 09-16-2004
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

I have added a link on the Navigation Menu for a new section, thanks to SuaveHighTime's idea. It is a basic Content page with some simple information right now. I added a link to purchase the book Drink Cultura from Amazon.com for those who might want to purchase it.

I figure, each time the 'Club' decides to choose a different book, we can easily update the link.

I also linked this thread and SuaveHighTime's profile since he has initiated the idea. If anyone, or SuaveHighTimes, has anything specific to be on the Chicano Book Club page, please let me know.

I understand it has not been fully decided to choose Drink Cultura yet, but I just put the link to that for now until everyone does decide on a book.
Old 09-20-2004
SuaveHighTimes

There are only 4 more days for everyone to nominate a book. On Thursday, Sept. 23rd a new thread will be started with the option of selecting a book from a list nominated on this thread.

So please, in order to better enjoy your book club, be sure to nominate a book of your choice. Only thru nominating a book of your choice will there be a possibility of it being chosen.

To nominate your book of interest, simply post to this thread with the title of the book, and its author. If you like, feel free to give a brief description of its contents. You never know, it may spark someones interest and could end up winning!!!

So everyone, start saving your pennies and start paying of those unreturned book fees to the library! you dont want to get left out!
Old 09-20-2004
Maestro

these are my nominees :

Andre Brink , Looking on darkness , A dry white season and An instant in the wind.

Andre Brink is an Afrikaaner (white south african) and most of his books are about an impossible love story, whether during the apartheid or earlier times like in An instant in the wind (18th century).

Angel M. Garibay K. , La literatura de los Aztecas

This is a compilation of Mexica poems, proverbs and educative speeches.

Carlos Montemayor , La voz profunda.

A compilation of contemporary indigenous litterature ( maya yucateco, tzotzil, tzeltal, tojolabal, zapoteco, mazateco, nahuatl, huichol and totonaco)

Manuel Vazquez Montalban, Marcos, el seņor de los espejos

i didn't read it yet, but i can tell you it's about Marcos and the zapatist movment in Chiapas.

Eduardo Galeano , Las venas abiertas de America Latina

The untold history of the American continent. very informative and well written

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell (copied from the most honorable KA)
Old 09-20-2004
Maestro

However, if i was to pick one from the original list, it would be Hernest Hemingway's Men without Women

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell (copied from the most honorable KA)
Old 09-20-2004
Prospect

Send a message via AIM to oyoque Send a message via MSN to oyoque Send a message via Yahoo to oyoque
Default great idea

suave this is a grrrrrrrrrreat idea!!!!! i was bored durin the day now that mija started skool this year and now i will have somethin to do durin this time ....i like the idea of chicano author books, but i also love the classics!!!! so whateva yall decide i am down for...count me in baby!!!!

\"How many times have I... or anyone... fallen in love while everyone around us knows itīs inappropriate, and itīs wrong, and itīs not even love? Who are we to say that you are not in love!!!
Old 09-20-2004
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

I LOOOOOOOVE THIS IDEA
and i think it should be books by chicano authors.
Caramelo is really good.
Drink Cultura is good also.
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 09-22-2004
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

TTT
(certainly can't let this one die...)

so what's the deal? is this going to happen or what?
Old 09-22-2004
Estudiante

Send a message via ICQ to la_bonita_16 Send a message via AIM to la_bonita_16 Send a message via Yahoo to la_bonita_16

I want in! I want in! Can i join? Can I? Can I?

I don't really know any chicano authors or books. So whatever you guys pick is fine with me.
Old 10-06-2004
Veterano

So, what happened?

I got the book, are we gonna review it?
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 10-07-2004
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to megustahoy Send a message via Yahoo to megustahoy

If it's not too late may I also suggest the best book ever... The Tattooed Soldier by Hecto Tobar it's a great Chicano novel. There's also another book by the author of Drink Cultura called Spilling the Beans it's pretty good.
Old 10-12-2004
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

Okay so what's the deal with this anyway?

Do we need to start a new thread to discuss or what???

Suave Que Pues Mr. Book Club Leader.. you're slacking man!!!

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 10-12-2004
*Mr*Manuel

I started reading Drink Cultura , so far not bad...
Old 10-12-2004
Veterano

I'm still waiting for mine to come in from Amazon
I cant wait
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 10-16-2004
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

So what is the deal? Did this get forgotten or is it still a good idea?