Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Religion

Religion Discuss your opinoins, faiths, beliefs, doubts, and/or philosophy.

Old 06-27-2005
Gunner

Default Science/Religion

Science
1 is based on objective factual evidence which is subject to verification
2 is dependent on fact
3 considers all phenomena as natural
4 assumes that the laws of nature are universally constant
5 affirms the equality of all humans
6 the pronouncements of science are in terms of probabilities
7 sees ill-health conceived in terms of infection and organ malfunction
8 treats ill-health with blood transfusions, anti-biotics and antiseptic conditions
9 declares that ethical standards are relative and determined by the people
10 sees world peace in terms of mutual agreements and the elimination of injustice and ignorance

Religion
1 is based on subjective ‘divine’ revelation which cannot be verified
2 is dependent on fantasy
3 considers all phenomena as supernatural e.g. a rainbow, harvest etc is a sign from or work of, a god or demon
4 declares that the laws of nature change as the deity sees fit
5 asserts the divine ordaining of rulers and ruled, super and subject races, master and slave
6 the pronouncements of religion are in terms of absolute certainties
7 sees ill-health conceived in terms of sin, demons and punishment
8 treats ill-health with prayers, incantations, laying on of hands, spittle and oil
9 declares that ethical standards are absolute and are given by a deity
10 sees world peace in terms of a super-natural intervention and imposition of a universal religion
Old 06-27-2005
Gunner

scientific
Old 06-27-2005
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude1977
do you consider evolution to be scientific or religious?
I know you wern't directing your question at me but I would think it would be scientific because the human body and mind is constantly changing as all creatures of the Earth are. Evolution is change and change is scientific in that everything on Earth changes including the Earth itself. Unlike religion that states that we were put here on Earth as we currently are.
Old 06-27-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamosoCeTecpatl
I know you wern't directing your question at me but I would think it would be scientific because the human body and mind is constantly changing as all creatures of the Earth are. Evolution is change and change is scientific in that everything on Earth changes including the Earth itself. Unlike religion that states that we were put here on Earth as we currently are.
very well put...
Old 06-27-2005
Veterano

But isnt Evolution still only a theory?
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 06-27-2005
Prospect

I wouldn't say that it's a theory because it can be seen in everything around us. Animals, plants, land, the cosmos, ect. Everything goes through evolution so why not humans? That's how I see it.
Old 06-27-2005
Travieso

darwin himself the father of evolution said there is no proof to this 'THEORY'.
Old 06-27-2005
Veterano

Yup - its still technically called the "Theory of Evolution"
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 06-27-2005
Prospect

Read my last post buddy.

Evolution is a reality not a theory. It can be seen in everything. Except religion of course since some ppl can be so close minded.
Old 06-27-2005
Veterano

Quote:
I wouldn't say that it's a theory because it can be seen in everything around us. Animals, plants, land, the cosmos, ect. Everything goes through evolution so why not humans? That's how I see it.
The statement you made is asking us to believe it applies to humans on faith alone - it has not been proved............
Old 06-27-2005
Travieso

Through these claims Darwin quickly became the architect of the greatest falsehood
in the history of science. His theory, grounded on not a speck of scientific finding, is
but fallible reasoning, as he himself admitted. Indeed, Darwin confessed in his book
The Origin of Species that the evolution theory was lacking in the face of many
important questions.

why is it that someone differs in opinion they are considered 'closed minded'?
hey buddy want a chiquita?
Old 06-27-2005
Veterano

I believe that one of the major results of science has been to prove that God exists and to prove that what is stated in the Bible is fact.

Some of the claims of the Bible that man scoffed at before they were proved by science:

Long before Sir Isaac Newton discovered the law of gravity, the Bible referred to such fixed rules or laws. The man Job was asked: "Did you proclaim the rules that govern the heavens, or determine the laws of nature on earth?" (Job 38:33, The New English Bible)

That the World was round: Isaiah 40:22: "There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth," or as other translations say, "the globe of the earth" (Douay) This was said 2,000 yrs before trips around the world took place.

Even Scientists have declared that there MUST've been a designer of the world and the universe not to mention the complex design of the human body. Sir Fred Hoyle, who was involved in the discovery of Supernovas, said: "I do not believe that any scientist who examined the evidence would fail to draw the inference that the laws of nuclear physics have been deliberately designed."
Old 06-27-2005
Travieso

chavela good post though you stole my thunder leading up to my point of God's existence evolution still remains to be proven and it will never be.
Old 06-27-2005
Veterano

sorry ese but you always have good posts and I admire the fact that you are always ready to defend your beliefs - you take up the shield of faith and the sword of truth
Old 06-27-2005
Mocoso

Evolution can be observed in nature. Has anyone ever seen something created out of nothing?

Creation is a theory, and an unproven theory at that.
Old 06-27-2005
Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERPENT13
Evolution can be observed in nature. Has anyone ever seen something created out of nothing?

yeah sure have seen something created out of nothing..........................

this thread started out as nothing and is now something; thanks for pointing that out.
how's your research coming along?
Old 06-27-2005
Prospect

I am not quoting Darwin, Isic Newton, or any other person. What I say is what I see that surrounds me and the universe. I don't need to quote a book to assure to myself that evolution is real. I can see it everyday. I see it in the animals, in the sky, in the river, in the cosmos, and in myself. I don't care what some other dude said about his findings in evolution cuz I can see and think for myself without having a clouded mind.

Maybe some humans are so arrogant in that they don't want to accept the fact that we too are on the same level as any other creature here on Earth so they say that they are a perfect creation made by their god to be greater than any other creature. All I can say to you is that you should humble yourselves. Put yourself in the place of other creatures and plants so that you are able to see things through a different view. The other creatures of the Earth have no silly need to believe in any gods yet they live in perfect harmony with themselves and with nature.
Old 06-27-2005
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalebrown
Quote:

yeah sure have seen something created out of nothing..........................

this thread started out as nothing and is now something; thanks for pointing that out.
how's your research coming along?
That is where you are wrong. If you stop and really think about it you will see that this thread was not created out of nothing as you have stated. It took many pieces of information, many computer circuts, much time, and effort on behalf of everyone who has posted. So you see even this thread has gone through evolution. it started out with one post and now amounted to many. And the more you post the more this thread will evolve and change. So you have just proven that evolution is real and happens every day.
Old 06-27-2005
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to crazyiris Send a message via MSN to crazyiris Send a message via Yahoo to crazyiris

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude1977
do you consider evolution to be scientific or religious?
I would think it would be scientific because the human body and mind is constantly changing as all creatures of the Earth are. Evolution is change and change is scientific in that everything on Earth changes including the Earth itself. Unlike religion that states that we were put here on Earth as we currently are.
Agreed

Old 06-27-2005
Gunner

Send a message via MSN to Gh0sT213 Send a message via Yahoo to Gh0sT213

I don't think,but I want to, therefore I am. Lolz.

Old 06-27-2005
Travieso

i believe that God made us...

R.I.P
SAMMY N JACOB
Old 06-27-2005
Mocoso

To quote "The Simpsons"

"The leader is good, the leader is great, we surrender our will as of this day!"
Sounds like some real christianity to me.
Old 06-27-2005
Prospect

Quote:
To quote "The Simpsons"

"The leader is good, the leader is great, we surrender our will as of this day!"
Sounds like some real christianity to me.
Unfortunately some people think that if they surrender their will, they will be saved. So they go through life without questioning true reasons and logic it's like walking with one of those things they put over the horse's eyes. They only see what they are forced to see and beyond that nothing else exists. I know cuz I've been there. I was raised a cristian by my family but at a certain age I started questioning everything including my government and religion and I realized that both fed me nothing but lies.
Old 06-28-2005
Travieso

funny how you guys who don't believe in God continue to argue the fact of His
existence. this thread which i might add was comparisons of science and religion and
now the topic is strictly about God almighty thanks to you, how wonderful the world
is. the trolls have been exposed. now back to the topic evolution is a theory based on
nothing no hard evidence.
Old 06-28-2005
Travieso

i could of started a new topic but since this one deals with science and religion; i
thought it appropriate to continue on here with some basic questions. i'll give it time
as us humans know to come up for some answers:

does cold exist?