Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Racism in the world

Racism in the world Got something to say about racism? Speak your mind here

Old 06-29-2006
Travieso

Default Question! What is a white guy in your opinion?

I am just curious. I noticed that some of you have very sharp guidelines when its about white and brown and hispanic.
I grew up in a place where the lines between the etnics are very clear. There ist just white, black and a few else. Interracial connection was a taboo here for a very long time.

Some of you keep clear distance from 'being hispanic' or being 'latin'. Some even called latinos white, but where is the real difference?

I dont want to bother anyone, i just really want to know/learn about this.

::Casa de J.Stealth (Two Stripes)http://www.myspace.com/latinpatton
Old 06-29-2006
Maestro

Default Re: Question! What is a white guy in your opinion?

I'n my opinion someone who is white is European/caucasionoid/anglo

In the correct usage Latino is someone who is seen as white because Italians, French, Spanish/Hispanics, and i think also macedonian all speak Latin based languages.

Hispanic is the people from Hispanola, what the Romans or Latin language called espana. which are also white.

To me a white person is Italian (sicilians have been argued but yeah), French, German, Irish, Benelux people, Polish, Hungarian, and all those other European countries. Basically people of Germanic heritage.

To me a Latin/Central-South American, Chicano, Mexican, Meshikah, peruvian,chillian, argentinian (there is a whole argument in that country itself though) and you get the point. that's us brown folk. or people related to the indigenous ancestors of this land not just the immigrants/conqiustadors

Black is a person of African heritage, nigerian, ghana, eritria, ethiopia, somolia or you can go deeper to the tibes like the Zulu (i can't think of the name of the tribe but they are from Ghana and they are from Brazilian ancestry that migrated to African, probably people who first had a trade route from Africa to South America before the 1500's)

Native American, Native Indigenous of the Americas, or whatever you want to use (as long as it's not Indian - i know some Indians -good cury- but not the same, no buffalo hunters) or you can go deeper to tribes like Hopi, the 11 Iroquoi tribes, chocktaw, and many others.

Asian/pacific Islander - people of mongoloid ancestry. although those who are pacific Islander have spanish and african influence in many areas.

Me i consider myself hald mexican hald white (German/Irish) and all chicano. It is more than just the nationality but a state of mind and a desire to better myself and my people. to acculturate myself with my history.
Old 06-29-2006
Travieso

okay okay, thats clear so far Hmm.. when i look into the mirror I see neither a white guy, nor a brown guy. My biological roots are..manifold ?..
But the way I feel, the way i live is related to southamerica. I went into crossover and later nu-metal because it had nearly a 'tribal' touch. Possibly this is a result of this hehe.. but this belongs to the music corner.

When you say its also about state of mind i consider myself more brown than white.

Old 06-29-2006
Maestro

I have people on this site who consider me white, others who except me for who i am. People except you for who you tell them you are, you label yourself by allowing others to label you. <mestizo>

To me Chicano is more then just the literal translation tooken into account from many, a mexican born in the US. It is a whole cultural lifestyle, revolutionist, against oppression, strives for the betterment of our people.

I myself am on the border of identity, i do not speak spanish (not like it's our mother tongue) and i don't look persay white. To my white friends i'm the mexican, to my latino friends i'm white. neither hear nor their, coming or going. I decided to screw others who try to label me, i am me. I am the child of a German & Irish mother, a Mexican father, Private and Public schooling, of divorce, of intelliegence. I label myself in according the the confines of academia, because it allows me to advance myself academically, but that is not who i really am.

We are become a people of mixed differences. more and more of us our biracial/multiracial. of different cultures and ethnicities. we are what the world will look like when everyone is done screwing everyone else. I am a mut, who is in a relationship with a puerto rican woman- more of a mix. my best friend who is black and white is having a child with a puerto rican woman - more of a mix.

Purity is rare nowadays and only thos of us who are the obvious creations of mixing have come to terms with our identities, or are in the process of. You are you, you are more then one so you are ambigious to the limitations of one race. never define yourself by what you are not.
Old 06-29-2006
Travieso

haha, we seem to be similar. Sprichst Du Deutsch?

Old 06-29-2006
Maestro

nope, i want to, but i am not much of a linguist. I can sing a few lyrics to Ramstein (<--sp??) but other than that, tot ziens, gazundheit (sp?) and sprichst de deutsh i am kind of limited. lol
Old 06-29-2006
Travieso

Haha, ich spreche sehr gut Deutsch! But my spanish sucks! jeje

Old 06-29-2006
Maestro

Mine too, i try to speak but my friends just laugh when i say stuff funny. Oh well. I want to do peace corps, figure sending my @ss to south america will teach me a little spanish. but i also want to learn nauhtatl or another indigenous language.
Old 06-29-2006
Mocoso

well, I don't agree with everything Celestino says, even though he's my nephew.

For me, a white person is one of European descent and ancestry. This includes all white Amerikans and other colonizers in various places like the "Amerikas," Israel, Australia, South Afrika, and New Zealand to mention a few regions where whites have colonized the planet.

Now, I understand their are people like my nephew who have Native (indigenous) and European lineages (mixed). Generally, people of mixed ancestry will decide for themselves which culture they affiliate with more closely. Some choose to identify with whites, including Spaniards and"Anglos," while others choose to identify with their native ancestry.

For the most part though, Mexico is a brown indigenous nation, and white Spaniards and other Europeans are easy to spot. However, whites run the government and even an apartheid-style state in Mexico City.

You might want to check out the Mexica Movement; although I do not like the organization of the website, I think they do a pretty good job of illustrating the differences between indigenous people and whites. Their whole mantra is "Not Latino, Not Hispanic" [we are] Mexica!
http://www.mexica-movement.org/timexihcah/intromain.htm
Old 06-29-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by citlalin
For me, a white person is one of European descent and ancestry. This includes all white Amerikans and other colonizers in various places like the "Amerikas," Israel, Australia, South Afrika, and New Zealand to mention a few regions where whites have colonized the planet.

Thats kind of what i was trying to say. most 'white' people of European descent are from Germanic ancestry. or at least as i've been taught. The aryans were traveling people who migrated and split into two groups, one went into what is now modern day Europe and because the Germanic people who became Europeans. The other half migrated to what is now the modern day northern border of India.

Correct me if i'm wrong on this tia.

anyways i'm not sure if all people of European descent come from Germanic ancestry, but I know this is a common stipulation.

Quote:
Now, I understand their are people like my nephew who have Native (indigenous) and European lineages (mixed). Generally, people of mixed ancestry will decide for themselves which culture they affiliate with more closely. Some choose to identify with whites, including Spaniards and"Anglos," while others choose to identify with their native ancestry.
now i choose a little bit of both because i have come to realize that i will never be fully excepted as either by both sides. My mother always says i'm always boasting my mexican heritage but never my Irish (even though she rarely boast her German heritage) and maybe i do, but as many can see i defend my white side and do not hide it here on soy.

many people side with their anglo side, because it's easier to and more socially exceptable to be white in most cases. I just don't like people who lie about who they are, and deny their darker ancestry. but in this same reason i would be hypocritical if i deny my white ancestry...and it's Irish so it's really white. lol
Old 06-29-2006
Veterano

Quote:
For the most part though, Mexico is a brown indigenous nation, and white Spaniards and other Europeans are easy to spot.

Are whites just as easy to spot in the U.S?

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 06-29-2006
Gunner

Whites, people from Euro descent.

Hispanic and latino.....political terms.

Soy Mexicano asta la Madre......

Quote:
I'm all Caballero
Old 06-29-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisA
Whites, people from Euro descent.

And the people that have both SPanish/European and indeginious/Mexica ancestry?

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 06-29-2006
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow
And the people that have both SPanish/European and indeginious/Mexica ancestry?
Mexico.

Quote:
I'm all Caballero
Old 06-29-2006
Veterano

Talking Re: Question! What is a white guy in your opinion?

I still say you're a girl

Old 06-29-2006
Gunner

Talking Re: Question! What is a white guy in your opinion?

koolarrow- you are like the patriot act. always have some shit up your sleeve.

Quote:
I'm all Caballero
Old 06-29-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisA
koolarrow- you are like the patriot act. always have some shit up your sleeve.

lol that was great...i might have to steal that one..
Old 07-06-2006
Fresh Meat!

Quote:
well, I don't agree with everything Celestino says, even though he's my nephew.

For the most part though, Mexico is a brown indigenous nation, and white Spaniards and other Europeans are easy to spot. However, whites run the government and even an apartheid-style state in Mexico City.

You might want to check out the Mexica Movement; although I do not like the organization of the website, I think they do a pretty good job of illustrating the differences between indigenous people and whites. Their whole mantra is "Not Latino, Not Hispanic" [we are] Mexica!
http://www.mexica-movement.org/timexihcah/intromain.htm
you're really using that site as a vantage point for learning about mexicans? like how "pinche che guevara" doesn't represent the "mexica"? yea, really informative.

mexico is a mestizo nation. at least 70% of the population is mixed mestizo, and almost all of those of spanish/aztec descent.

now, just look at any "mexica" person with significant body hair (leg hair, facial hair, arm hair, and so forth). i can guarantee you, that if they do, they have significant spanish/mediterranean/european blood.

alot of the mexica nationalists insist that "well blacks don't recognize any white blood they might have". however, black racial genes are much more dominant than white ones, so it's hard to even know that you have white blood if you're black unless you get a DNA test.

one question i have is....what about people like tiger woods and johnny depp, should they call themselves "native american", considering they have those racial genes in them?

Last edited by smashyourface86; 07-06-2006 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-06-2006
Mocoso

Hello,

It's hard for me to call anyone who is just "ethnic" white. What the heck is "ethnic"?? I dunno, it's whatever the media has told us "ethnic" is ok... but if you have dark features and you don't have the common white features, it's hard for me to call you white.

For example:

Penelope Cruz will never be white to me though she is from a EUROPEAN country. And I find myself always asking myself, "Do Italians call themselves white?" along with Greeks, Portugese (Nelly Furtado? A White chick?), etc, etc?

And I have to say, if you are mixed with white and another race.... to me you are always that "other race". I respect that you are half white, but in reality if you are half minority that's how much of the world will see you, and that's how I see you aswell.

That's just the world has conditioned me... if you are half mexican and half white, you can just call yourself "mexican" and that's fine... but to just call yourself "white", nah that won't fly becuase it's very likely that you don't look white.

I remember this past year this girl that I knew thought of herself as "white". True, her mother is white... but her father is Arab. And the girl had Arab features, but pale skin... I never thought of the girl as white, and we asked other folks they were like "No, you ain't white" (lol). I remember pointing to a group of white kids--- blonde hair, blue eyes, etc, etc-- and saying "You don't look like that".

But, you know what? Race and who is what is different all around the world. Maybe if I was from a different country I would probably think differently.

And actually now that I think of it, even when I am around different communities I used terms differently.

If I am around an immigrant African community (or a first generation American), I wont call myself African-American... I will say black, just so they know that I'm not, nor is my family, from Africa--- we are descandants of the slaves who lived in the USA who came from Africa (like I'm jsut being specific, just so they know). But if I was around other blacks, whose families are also descandants of slaves in the USA who came from Africa, I'll say "black" or "African American". See, my race changed (i'm only one some occasions, and i can be two at another)?

But yea, to me... a white guy is just a white guy with nothing "ethnic" about him. (i can't believe that I am using the term "ethnic"... yuck!)

Last edited by notquiteachicana; 07-06-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2006
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

Quote:
mexico is a mestizo nation. at least 70% of the population is mixed mestizo, and almost all of those of spanish/aztec descent.

PLease state the exact criteria for "mestizo."
Also the "Aztec" are but one of many nations within the "mesoamerican" region. There is no way "almost all" these alleged mestizos could be of strictly Spanish and "Aztec" descent.

Quote:
now, just look at any "mexica" person with significant body hair (leg hair, facial hair, arm hair, and so forth). i can guarantee you, that if they do, they have significant spanish/mediterranean/european blood.

It is a common myth that native peoples of the "americas" possesed no significant body hair. Even if it were true that natives posessed no bodily hair whatsoever, how would that deny any contemporary Mexica with "significant" body hair from claiming said nation.
Who defines and sets the criteria that decides whether an individual is "officially Indigenous" or "officially Mestizo"?

Quote:
alot of the mexica nationalists insist that "well blacks don't recognize any white blood they might have". however, black racial genes are much more dominant than white ones, so it's hard to even know that you have white blood if you're black unless you get a DNA test.
Mexica nationalist like whom? References or links please.
What you seem to be misconstruing is the implication that Blacks, in regards to their identity, do not acknowledge themselves as "white." Its not refering to genetic makeup. Im sure US Citizens of African descent are very well aware that they have European blood due to European rape.

Quote:
one question i have is....what about people like tiger woods and johnny depp, should they call themselves "native american", considering they have those racial genes in them?
If they are of genetic lineage ,have cultural ties to, and are recognized by the respective nations which they claim, then I would say yes. Although the mere audacity of your question is extremely laughable.
Old 07-19-2006
Estudiante

a white man is anybody of european descent who is from europe that has white skin...n they got the nerve to say that mexicans are immmigrants....get the fuck outta here....let a white man tell me that ill put em in his place...their ancestors werent from america....just ask george washington...fuckin lame whiteys
Old 07-19-2006
Gunner

^Are you suggesting "American" is a ethnicity?

Quote:
I'm all Caballero
Old 07-19-2006
Gunner

jajajajaja

Anyone born in the U.S. or territory is an American.

"American" is a nationality not a ethnicity.

Quote:
I'm all Caballero
Old 07-25-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojitos619
uhhhh, yeah.

Just like being Hispanic, Latino, Italian, Asian and ect. is.

Im not going to say "Hes a white guy" ... im going to say "Hes american"

Im not going to say "She's a beaner" ... im going to say "She's hispanic"

And you got into Stanford?????
Strange...

Old 07-25-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojitos619
uhhhh, yeah.

Just like being Hispanic, Latino, Italian, Asian and ect. is.

Im not going to say "Hes a white guy" ... im going to say "Hes american"

Im not going to say "She's a beaner" ... im going to say "She's hispanic"
American is a person born in the REGION of the Americas -

Then when you start to say he's Italian, or he is French, or he is English - those are nationalities ------ since there are many Black people who were born and raised in England, can you truly say that only white people can call themselves English?
There are many black people born and raised in Mexico - are they not Mexicans???
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'