Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Education

Education A place where students of any grade or anyone doing research can ask for assistance or guidance. Working on a project... share your progress.

Old 11-25-2006
Mocoso

Default Re: The College/Grad School/Professional School Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdlt
ok...here i come with another question...

so i am trying to write my "personal statment/ steament of intent" i am applying for the masters in chicano studies...

it has to be 300 words or less...what kind of stuff do you reccomend i should write...what do they want to know????
300 words or less is really tough. I'm pretty sure my Master's study statement was much longer than that. Then again, I'm in a professional writing program, so we're expected to elaborate.

I think you should highlight your research & teaching experience/interests and cultural studies interests. Check out the course work and research that your "future" professors are teaching. Find out if the faculty's research sparks your interest. If there are a few professors with research of interest to you, then you should name drop and briefly describe what engages your intellect about the research.

Here's a brief extract (300 words) from my PhD statement that I prepared for my qualifying exams last year. You can follow the link below if you are interested in reading the full document, which is over 3,200 words!

PERSONAL STATEMENT
Citlalin Xochime

With a strong, research background in the Arts and the Sciences and with technical expertise in multimodal communication applications, I applied to the Rhetoric and Professional Communication (RPC) program with firm goals. My goals are to develop and expand on my research interests, to teach at an upper-division level of instruction in technical and professional communication, and to integrate an internship in professional writing with my scholarly and community services activities. Currently, I am blending my rhetoric and composition theory background with my technical communication expertise and cultural interests while making consistent academic progress.

The RPC program in particular has enabled me to advance and explore my current research interests in areas such as new media, intercultural communication, and technical writing practices in a professional writing and computer supported classroom or setting. These interests include inquires into: 1) using authoring tools in the classroom for multimedia production and communications, 2) studying Native American discourse and the rhetoric of science, 3) and engaging communications relevant to Mesoamerican indigenous language study and intercultural studies. Some of these interests originate from my thesis work on evidentials in a legal context as a composite of rhetorical strategies in the Kennewick Man dispute, and from my personal efforts to prepare an introductory study guide on the grammar of the Uto-Aztecan language, Nahuatl. My research interests in the area of professional communication include scientific and technical communications (protocols) and the mastering of educational content for online delivery and interactivity. By continuing to develop these research interests and activities in my current studies as well as in my IBM internship, I will strengthen my repertoire of authorship. In turn, this cultivation will support me as a valuable community leader as well as enhance my opportunities as a professional who is highly marketable to multiple industries and academies in the public, private, and government sectors.

Full Document:
http://nahuatl.info/citlalin/ENG_610...c_Porfolio.doc

Last edited by citlalin; 11-25-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2006
Mocoso

Quote:
ok...
so what are "good" GRE scores
and what is a statement of intent for ph.d programs???
I can dig up my GRE scores and post them sometime in early January (I'm away from home, where the scores are filed). However, I do know that I was shooting for a score of 1600 and I fell just a little shy of that. You should contact the department office and speak to the person who receives the applications. You can inquire about what sort of GRE scores that the Admission's committee seeks.

You should have the GRE completed well in advance as well as prepare for it. It takes time to schedule it and to process the results, which will be mailed to you and to each university that you list.
Old 12-22-2006
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to crazyiris Send a message via MSN to crazyiris Send a message via Yahoo to crazyiris

alright

I intend to going back to college in the spring 07
but I have no clue what to take. I was thinking of going to the LVN program but thats not for me.
So I guess I want to get rid of my general classes or should I take classes of what I like and enjoy?

A lil info would be great.

Old 12-22-2006
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to crazyiris Send a message via MSN to crazyiris Send a message via Yahoo to crazyiris

ok

So I was planning to take 2 classes since I work 40 hours a week

Im looking into taking:

Intro to Digital Arts
and
Early Chicano History or History/Chicanos/Southwest

Old 01-13-2007
Maestro

Old 01-16-2007
you never know...
Veterano

Send a message via AIM to mariposa

Quote:
Originally Posted by citlalin
300 words or less is really tough. I'm pretty sure my Master's study statement was much longer than that. Then again, I'm in a professional writing program, so we're expected to elaborate.

I think you should highlight your research & teaching experience/interests and cultural studies interests. Check out the course work and research that your "future" professors are teaching. Find out if the faculty's research sparks your interest. If there are a few professors with research of interest to you, then you should name drop and briefly describe what engages your intellect about the research.

Here's a brief extract (300 words) from my PhD statement that I prepared for my qualifying exams last year. You can follow the link below if you are interested in reading the full document, which is over 3,200 words!

PERSONAL STATEMENT
Citlalin Xochime

With a strong, research background in the Arts and the Sciences and with technical expertise in multimodal communication applications, I applied to the Rhetoric and Professional Communication (RPC) program with firm goals. My goals are to develop and expand on my research interests, to teach at an upper-division level of instruction in technical and professional communication, and to integrate an internship in professional writing with my scholarly and community services activities. Currently, I am blending my rhetoric and composition theory background with my technical communication expertise and cultural interests while making consistent academic progress.

The RPC program in particular has enabled me to advance and explore my current research interests in areas such as new media, intercultural communication, and technical writing practices in a professional writing and computer supported classroom or setting. These interests include inquires into: 1) using authoring tools in the classroom for multimedia production and communications, 2) studying Native American discourse and the rhetoric of science, 3) and engaging communications relevant to Mesoamerican indigenous language study and intercultural studies. Some of these interests originate from my thesis work on evidentials in a legal context as a composite of rhetorical strategies in the Kennewick Man dispute, and from my personal efforts to prepare an introductory study guide on the grammar of the Uto-Aztecan language, Nahuatl. My research interests in the area of professional communication include scientific and technical communications (protocols) and the mastering of educational content for online delivery and interactivity. By continuing to develop these research interests and activities in my current studies as well as in my IBM internship, I will strengthen my repertoire of authorship. In turn, this cultivation will support me as a valuable community leader as well as enhance my opportunities as a professional who is highly marketable to multiple industries and academies in the public, private, and government sectors.

Full Document:
http://nahuatl.info/citlalin/ENG_610...c_Porfolio.doc
Thank you Citlalin....
im writing...still having a little trouble but your example was helpful.
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Old 01-16-2007
Mocoso

Quote:
Thank you Citlalin....
im writing...still having a little trouble but your example was helpful.
If you need help, just let me know. I can take a look at it (I'm a college instructor afterall).

Only 300 words is tough because you want to make every word count and you want every word to reflect your very best above all the others.
Old 02-12-2007
SuaveHighTimes

I took and i'm sure i passed the GED test this past saturday. (yea, congrats to me! Professora challenged me to get it about 3-4 months ago. Mission accomplished).

But now i need to know what the next step is. I definitely want to continue with educating myself, except i'm really naive to how colleges, universities, graduate schools work.

Does it make sense to byass an associates and directly work for a bachlors instead?

Also, as a part time student, would it take me longer to earn a bachlors or associates then it would for a full time student?

I'd like to get an associates in an Applied Science field, but not sure i i'd be wasting my time and that maybe I should reach for a bachlors instead.

At the same time, I don't want to wait 4 or 5 years to see results.

What are my options?

Chicanos...........Unite!!!!!! (And discuss what my best approach would be)

Last edited by SuaveHighTimes; 02-12-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-12-2007
SuaveHighTimes

I said........! "Chicanos................Unite!!!!!! (read the above)
Old 02-12-2007
Maestro

well i went to community college first and it takes 60 units to graduate with an AA degree and 56 transferable units to move on to a university and transfer in as jr. So i would get the AA degree first and then go after your BA. I mean this is just me, there is many ways to do this, community college has many programs to help you get through school just have to look for them. If you are a part-time student it will take you longer just for the fact you are not taking as many classes at one time. There are alot of online courses now you could look into. i hope this helps, ask the questions i was lost when i went i started school and if you just look you will find the help you need. Best of Luck
Old 02-12-2007
SuaveHighTimes

60 units, as in 60 credit hours? that doesnt sound so bad. I hear each credit hour is about $50 to $80 bucs, is that right too?
Old 02-12-2007
Maestro

60 units, most classes at community college are 3 unit classes. i think it is around $20 a unit so $60 a class plus some small fees. classes at the community college are usually 16 weeks 3 hours a week or so, so more time then 60 hours for sure. it sounds like alot but if thats what you really want just start with finding out what it takes to transfer and go from there, EOPS is a good program that help me out alot
Old 02-12-2007
SuaveHighTimes

Man, i have a lot to learn. EOPS? no idea what that means.

3 units a class? what is a unit or rather who do these units represent? And once you have an associates, cant you just transfer to any university?

I think my best bet is to call the college. There is more to it then I thought. Told you i was naive.

But thanks for the help mart.
Old 02-12-2007
Maestro

hey call and make an appointment with a counselor they will put you on the right path, ask the questions i really had a hard time trying to figure things out on my own when i started. again man best of luck
Old 02-12-2007
SuaveHighTimes

Thanks, and fo so...
Old 02-12-2007
Maestro

Suave, I'm glad you took the test!

I would say that a good approach to figuring out what to do next is to first decide where you want to end up (and work backwards). Which college are you hoping to earn a bachelor's degree from, or at least, are there 2-3 you have in mind? Next, you'd want to visit the transfer center at the community college you want to attend, and get some advising. They can tell you what you need to take to transfer to the school(s) you are interested in, and/or to earn an associate's degree. You're in another state, but if you were in CA I'd be of better help to you (every state is a little different in terms of resources). Some people choose to earn the AA or AS degree along the way to a university, and others just skip it and go straight on to a bachelor's degree. Have the counselor lay out for you what each pathway would look like, and see how much of a difference it would be to earn the AA and transfer, or just transfer as soon as you can. It shouldn't be a ton of extra units, but you always have the option to just transfer, since earning an AA is not necessary to do so.
Old 02-13-2007
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

congrats on taking the test and challenging urself...

i think the best thing to do is go check out an academic counselor at a community college near u...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 02-13-2007
→©α££αδα←
Maestro

i still ahve to take act's... just to get into a community college y q..

and we continue to love unrequitedly while our actions' consequences bury us in a castle-like coffin to bleed. ..
Old 02-15-2007
SuaveHighTimes

Thanks for the advice folks. Community college, here I come.
Old 02-15-2007
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveHighTimes View Post

Does it make sense to byass an associates and directly work for a bachlors instead?

Also, as a part time student, would it take me longer to earn a bachlors or associates then it would for a full time student?

I'd like to get an associates in an Applied Science field, but not sure i i'd be wasting my time and that maybe I should reach for a bachlors instead.

At the same time, I don't want to wait 4 or 5 years to see results.

What are my options?

Chicanos...........Unite!!!!!! (And discuss what my best approach would be)
Well it depends on what u want to do. I mean if you just want an AA degree nothign wrong with it and in some case u really do not need any more then that. It just depends on what feild you go into. Going further is good and all and in some cases can help. But liek i said, it just depends on what you are wanting to get it in. AN AA unlocks just as many doors as a bacholors in different fields.

FOr instance say what i am doing, while it is good i have an education in what i am doing, what really helps me is my on the job experience and more so MY VIDEO DEMO REEl/ demo resume MORE SO then any written resume. Same thing if i was a strictly a still photographer.

SO go for a AA to start, if YOU think you need a bachelors then go for it. LIke mrart said i would start off with a community college or tech college. BUt alot of your "basic" course u can take online. Like english and science and maybe math and those types of things. But the things that you will more then liukely need to be IN CLASS FOR are the classes that are actually for your CORE LEARNING, In other words say a BUSINESS CLASS you need to be in that more then being online for it.

But do go talk to counselors though. They really do help.
Old 02-15-2007
SuaveHighTimes

^^^Well here is the thing though. I'm 28 going on 29 years old in just a few short months. I like working with computers, but at this stage in my life it would be very hard to just start over with a new career. Especially so if I have to wait 2-4 years to get some type of certification such as an associates or a bachelors before i can even get a job within that field.

I'm going to school for no more reason then to do it, and do it within a field that I enjoy. I'm going to do it so I could say I could, so I don't have any regrets in life, so some day I could build my own PC from scratch, and in case I ever needed something else to fall back on.

In other words, it's more for personal accomplishment then it is seeking a new career choice. if after I have my degree the opportunity would present itself, then sure I'd take advantage of it. But right now, I merely want to attain a satisfaction of accomplishment.

Last edited by SuaveHighTimes; 02-15-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2007
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Then, i would say a Associates is all u really need. But i would say that also depends if ya learn enough while getting that Associates. If ya learn all you need when getting an associates then going for a bachelors is kind of, UNNEEDED ya know? They teach slighty more in it and it takes maybe another yr to do get and i think or i would say it is just more academic type classes u are going to have to take. ALso depending on what you are going for as to how long til a full timer would get out. I went to a tech school and some majors were a yr and a half and some were 3. Mine was 2 and a half yrs worth. Age doesnt matter though, i saw plenty of people who were older then me, but it meant nothing to them, some of them started a family and went back to school, plain and simple. I went back when i was 26 or well i turned 26 the yr i went back. But it is never to late and your age really shouldnt have anything to do with it.
Old 02-15-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveHighTimes View Post
In other words, it's more for personal accomplishment then it is seeking a new career choice. if after I have my degree the opportunity would present itself, then sure I'd take advantage of it. But right now, I merely want to attain a satisfaction of accomplishment.
If this is your motivation...I say, go for the degree. You don't want to have that nagging feeling that you could have/should have/would have done it. Besides, there is never anything wrong with having a college education. I doubt it would ever be held against you in any field. Sometimes more than anything, it shows a potential employer that you can commit to something and finish it--which counts for a lot when they are looking to hire someone.
Old 02-18-2007
Travieso

Knowledge is Power

Once you get an education - no one can take it away.

Go for the highest degrees you can accomplish.
Old 02-18-2007
Maestro

I have to take 3 classes this summer 18 next fall, methods next spring, 1 class in the summer, and then student teaching Fall 2008. then i will graduate. Then i get to go back to school for my masters. it never ends.