Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Artist's Lounge > Artwork, Arte, Image, Graphics Talk > ShutterBugs

ShutterBugs A place for Photographers to discuss anything dealing with Photography.

Old 09-17-2008
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to megustahoy Send a message via Yahoo to megustahoy
Default 5D Mark 2

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/0...-ii-announced/

Alas, it's out.

I'm not too impressed with the specks. They could have given it better auto-focus, and a 100% viewfinder.

What do you all think?
Old 09-18-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ
Default Re: 5D Mark 2

it's out? or it's been announced? probably a good time to pick up the old 5D very cheaply.

so it has movie recording ability and a new sensor? 20MP+ doesn't impress me too much. 12mp was already enough in my opinon. Photographers(event) would benefit more from better low light performance.

i know low light performance is better with the 5dmark2 but can it compete with what Nikon has put out? I'll wait for a nikon d700 vs 5D-mk2 comparison.
Old 09-18-2008
Director

Difference between the 30D v. 5D

" What is past and cannot be prevented should not be grieved for" - American Indian Proverb

nighter1 debunks his own post

nighter1 cannot answer my question - OWNED.

nighter1's display of stupidity: Calls Black Taco's 'Racist'
Old 09-19-2008
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Thats not an accurate comparison, because the distances seem to be slightly off. The bottom pic is obviosuly further away then the top pic. Which doesnt show the different between cameras, but more so between lenses.
Old 09-19-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

nelio, it's a cropped camera vs a full frame camera(5D)

Last edited by SJ; 09-19-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-19-2008
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
it's out? or it's been announced? probably a good time to pick up the old 5D very cheaply.
It's announced, it'll be out before we know it though (I think shipping begins in November). The 5D Mk1 is still the same price if you buy new, they don't anticipate a drop in a new one anytime soon. If you buy used though you'll hover around $1500-1800.

Quote:
i know low light performance is better with the 5dmark2 but can it compete with what Nikon has put out? I'll wait for a nikon d700 vs 5D-mk2 comparison.
Are you thinking about switching to Nikon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
Thats not an accurate comparison, because the distances seem to be slightly off. The bottom pic is obviosuly further away then the top pic. Which doesnt show the different between cameras, but more so between lenses.
The distance is not a question of lenses it's a question of sensor, which makes the images a comparison of cameras. The images were taken at the same distance and quite possibly with the same lens (or, with two identical lenses). The 30D has a 1.6 crop sensor, the 5d has a full frame sensor. A full frame sensor uses a lens' true focal length (a 24mm lens is 24mm), a crop sensor does not (on a 1.6 crop camera a 24mm lens is really 24x1.6=38.4mm). That's why for many photogs, especially landscape photogs, a full sensor camera like the 5d and 1ds is well worth the money. For other photogs, where reach is more important, like sports photogs and wild animal photogs, a crop sensor camera is better.
Old 09-24-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by megustahoy View Post
Are you thinking about switching to Nikon
it would be an easy switch for me. I haven't invested "too much" in canon gear.

when I am ready to switch over to a full frame camera, I will see what my options are.
Old 09-26-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

OMFG!!
check this video
http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2008/...r-ado-reverie/

I saw this video, created by the new 5D and it blew my mind. my hdv fx1 is no match for this! although I couldn't shot a full event with a 5D, I could incorporate a few shots from this camera. They look amazing.

although many videographers/photographers are a little scared about the unification of still photography with video, I am very excited about it.

Last edited by SJ; 09-26-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2008
Presidente

Quote:
nelio, it's a cropped camera vs a full frame camera(5D)
I stand corrected.
Old 09-26-2008
Director

Nelio, you only do it to bash me of course. Any chance you can get right?

" What is past and cannot be prevented should not be grieved for" - American Indian Proverb

nighter1 debunks his own post

nighter1 cannot answer my question - OWNED.

nighter1's display of stupidity: Calls Black Taco's 'Racist'
Old 09-26-2008
Presidente

I only called ti how it looked to me. I would have done the same to anyone who didnt give a proper description.
Old 09-27-2008
Gunner

Quote:
That is a very amazing video. The possibilities are endless with such a huge array of spectacular lenses to choose from.

Quote:
although many videographers/photographers are a little scared about the unification of still photography with video, I am very excited about it.
My only concern is that quality will suffer somewhere. It baffles me that all these photographers made videos like "Reverie" but none (that I could find) of them wrote anything about the new 5D still image quality, makes one wonder.

On another note. Have you seen the news about the new Leica medium format? And all the rumors about Canon and Nikon working on the same? Here's where I'd consider steering from Canon. The hubby and I have a large investment to move from Canon for SLR bodies, but if we decide to go medium format, we'll do some serious research into all the options.