Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Entertainment > Media > Music

Music Anything music related

Old 07-23-2004
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to SoChicana
Default Is Tejano Music Dying?

I know theres a lot of people who don't care for Tejano Music, but for those who do, what is the deal? It seems like theres hardly ever any new music that actually makes it mainstream. Maybe it's different in different regions of the country, but as far as I can see here in Texas, the music isnt as popular as I thought it would be. Seems like it's more appreciated in Ohio than it is here...thats just crazy.
Old 07-23-2004
Estudiante

i guess peoples likings change over time
Old 07-23-2004
Estudiante

i think tejano music started to die whe SELENA DIED
Old 07-23-2004
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

Tejano Music is dieing because it sold its soul to try and be "Mainstream" it lost it's identity somewhere in the Mid- 90's..

Tejano Artists couldn't decide whether it was going to be Country.. Norteno... Hip Hop.. Or what the hell...

So now you see the results of Kissing up to the stupid Public..

I really don't listen to Tejano any more.. the music stoped speaking to me a LONG time ago..

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 07-23-2004
Mocoso

I think Tejano lived for a while after Selena died. I live in Granbury (near Ft. Worth) the only Tejano station we had got taken away because not enough people were listening to it. Well, it's still there but it's on the AM dial and it sounds like crap, so I guess we really don't have one.

It's sad to see it go away but I often found myself changing the station anyway because I didn't like the new stuff that they were coming out with. I miss the old Jay Perez, Emilio, Ram, Mazz and Elida stuff.
Old 07-23-2004
Mocoso

Send a message via ICQ to El_davi Send a message via Yahoo to El_davi

i don't think it's dying... it's just being waaaaay overeclipsed by its cousin, norteno.

especially by narcocorridos.

BEHOLD MY AWESOME HUMILITY !!!!!
Old 07-24-2004
Juarol

Im not sure what happend after the mid 90's but everything went downhill from there. after Selena's death I really thought Elida y Avante was gonna shine brighter or at least take the lead. or even Shelly Lares! but instead there was a pause...

Im not sure if Tejano is dying...every music genre has its dry pionts too. it is like a wave... the 80s was a slow period for Tejano music too. i dont think it ever will die down. Tejano will survive the years by the one thing that brought it to where it is today in the first place... the Accordion... that Conjunto sound that is unique and from Texas.
Old 08-02-2004
Fresh Meat!

Send a message via Yahoo to LiLSilent

I agree with some of yall it did kinda fall out of place when Selena died, Im a fan and i dont have to say that because iam just its a fact plus some folks on the selena chat board are like 98% white and the rest who knows and like 1% mexicans because white folks tend to try and take over i dont like being at that chat board because they always put on a fight and always against a chicano and then later try and say they are like half chicano i hate it but Tejano music i like still just sometimes they water down their beats and they keep releasing hit albums no new ones like Selena is, i heard her brother put down j.Lo because she owed the family alot because after jlo got success she owed something to the family i thought it was dumb but A.B.'s true colors show but Selena was always nice but anyways im blabbling lol
Tejano music is there just need another singer to make it to the mainstream like Selena did and stay away from jealous friends ya kno.

peace.
Old 08-02-2004
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

yes sadly it is dieing. nothign really new. and what it is gettign replaced by is NORTENO musica. and that really does nothing for me. i mean nothing at all. and IT DID NOT DIE OUT BECAUSE OF THE DEATH OF SELENA. i mean why the heck would it?
anyways i don tknow why it is liek it is.

I wanted and expected mofer from Jenifer Pena. i love her music though. SHelly lares is just gettin older and i dont think she cares as much any more. but i just need to find old albums. becuase shit i know i will bump them por vida.
Old 08-02-2004
Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to Smilez_1511

sadly i don't listen 2 tejano music...
Old 08-02-2004
Chicle

WELL I DON'T LISTEN TO TEJANO MUSIC A LOT ,BUT MY MOM HAS SOME SELENA ALBUMS AND I LOVE SELENA, ESPECIALLY THE SONG THAT GOES......"COMO LA FLOR TANTO AMOR ME DISTE TUUUUUUU" Y ME COUTIVASTE EL CORAZON PERO HAY HAYY HAY COMO ME DUELE"......

Si quieres triunfar en la vida,
amar,perdonar,y olvidar,
hoy te lo dice una amiga,
mañana te lo dice la vida.
Old 08-02-2004
Juarol

Okay so maybe Tejano music diddnt just die-out because of Selenas death spesificly... but think about what happend in 95'. who were the two top artist at the time? Selena and Emilio Navira... They were both Tejano music leading artist -- Selena "La Reina de la onda Tejana" Emilio Navaira sweeping the Male entertianer and Male vocalist of the year almost every year. shortly after Selenas death Emilio got the bright idea of going country it was probably in the makings before she died but it diddnt get him anywhere anyways. and while he was gone Bobby Pulido, Limite and Intocable came out of nowhere and next thing you know the air waves where filled with that norteño sound. even bobby got smart and changed his music style... and it got him
international status...at the time.

Intocable influenced the sound of Tejano music...and heavily influenced musicians all over Texas... just like Ramon Ayala influenced Tejano musicians back in the 60's. cant speak for every musician out there but you get the point.
now you have everyone playing that Intocable sound... even Emilio and Pete Astudillo took the risk. pero nada.

but hey not to worry... as long as Texas is around so will Tejano music
Old 08-02-2004
Presidente

and while he was gone Bobby Pulido, Limite and Intocable came out of nowhere and next thing you know the air waves where filled with that norteño sound

are you trying to tell me those are norteno artist? i hope your not . because for yrs and yrs those names pretty much have been associated with tejano. and about them influencing tejano sound? i doubt that. to me the REAL tejano sound has not changed. nortenos and tejano while having simulatirys. differ big time.

but hey i am not the die hard core fan. i just love the music and nothign else.
Old 08-02-2004
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to *Dedra* Send a message via MSN to *Dedra*
Default Tejano music Very Much alive over here

Well here in west Texas we have 2 radio stations on FM for it and every year in Odessa they have a TexMex Menudo Cookoff and it last like 3 days and the last two days atrting at six they have Tejano bands come and play like David Lee Garza, Elida, Ruben Ramos, Little Joe, Emilio, Ramon Ayala, Kumbia Kings, we had selena before she died,and La Mafia before they broke up, Jennifer, Grupo Solido, Control,Bobby Pulido, and many more these are just the ones i can just think of off the top of my head and before the big bands play they have up and coming Tejano bands play as the opening act i had one of the bands that played last year play for my Quincinera: Ramaldo y Estilo Band they're from Ozona but it's Anyways Tejano Music is very much alive over here

Love Never Fails!
www.myspace.com/lilchulita8907

Old 08-02-2004
Juarol

Well Limite is from Monterey ... Intocable is from the Valley pero thier sound is more Mexicana Regional not Tejano... seems like the Tejano industry likes to claim everything out there thats from Texas... they call it "Tejano crossover" . I guess im talking more about the Accordion conjunto bands out there.. like Intenso, Masizzo ect... agian i can not speak for every band out there either cuase yes some are still sticking to the old Tejano sound and thats cool I also like the old stuff myself.

<edit>WeStTeXaScHiCaNa that sounds like hella fun! TexMex Menudo Cookoff mann that has to be awesome. :P
Old 08-02-2004
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to *Dedra* Send a message via MSN to *Dedra*

Yea it is Fun Juarol besides the bands there's talent contests, breakdancing contests my dad and his friends are the judges, and they block off the whole downtown area just for this with booths set up all over the blocks and a Carnival its a blast and u get to meet the bands

Love Never Fails!
www.myspace.com/lilchulita8907

Old 08-02-2004
Administrator
Travieso

I agree. I am from the Rio Grande Valley in south Texas. There are a handful of groups that are from this general region. Sadly we don't have a truely dedicated Tejano station anymore. A while back there was one in particular simul-casting 105.5 and 106.3 (to reach a bigger area). All of a sudden it became Tejano/Tropical/Norteña and other variations. It kinda sucked, but at the same time it gave exposure to other types of music. Then I started listening to another competitior....96.1 ("Your numero uno for tejano!" - was the catch phrase). I loved it, when I didn't like something in the 105.5 station, I coudl switch it to 96.1. All of a sudden, one day, I tuned to 96.1 and I heard the DJ talking and there was some music in the BG playing....instrumental part of some Rap/HipHop song. It wasn't too surprising for me to hear that, often they loop instrumental parts of other types of music than what the station plays.....but then, the DJ stopped talking, song started....WTF? Yep, so then that was no more. By this time, 105.5 was heading downhill. I started listening to another non-tejano station. Shortly after, 105.5 turned into easy listening/jazz, and 106.3 turned into oldies (or is it the other way around?). There is yet another station 98.5 (i think) but that is straight out chunt music....not my type. So yeah, as far as I know there is no dedicated Tejano music station here in The Valley. SUCKS!
Old 08-02-2004
Presidente

105.5 out of san antonio? damn it changed? the last time iwas down that way by my self i was jamming to it and it was jamming tejnao. or at least i think it has been a while.
Old 08-02-2004
Administrator
Travieso

no not san antonio. i know it didn't reach taht far north.
Old 08-09-2004
Gunner

theres a few spanish music station here in san antonio, but only one that is dedicated to playing tejano music. and id say 75% of the music played on that station is from the mid 90's. its crazy. and there are so many people that dont like tejano music. especially people around my age. its old people music to them. theyd rather listen to rock or rap. if i had a tejano music station 24/7, do you know how happy id be?! i dont care if they play si una vez at least once every day! ill sing right along with it every time.

where im from, we got a tejano music station every sunday from 3pm to 8pm, and thats it. its from a little city in southern michigan and it never comes in clear. but im a faithful listener whenever im back at home. i think the majority of people in the southwest just take for granted what they have. they wont miss it unless its gone, and pretty soon, it probably will be.
Old 08-09-2004
Juarol

lol are you talking about Lady Di?? i listen to that whenever i get the chance. I live in that small town
Old 08-09-2004
Presidente

it will never die!. lol.

but yeah herein waco i remember when i was pre-teen and early teen we hada local station that would play tejano only on sundays like from 11am - 6pm. i wanted more but nada. i need to find more music i can get ahold of.
Old 08-09-2004
Juarol

here is a on-line radio station from San Antonio. KXTN 107.5 you have to listen to some adds first but its worth it.

http://stream1.adsertion.com/radio/P...TN&MultiPlay=0
Old 08-09-2004
Presidente

utr oh ut oh. hopefull i can listen in the morning while workong on my other project. gotta make a mental note to take in my head phones in to the OPEN COMPUTER LAB. lol
Old 08-09-2004
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juarol
lol are you talking about Lady Di?? i listen to that whenever i get the chance. I live in that small town

that'd be the one. lady di on Q95 Country lol