Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Techie's Area

Techie's Area Share information about web designing & scripting, general hardware, software issues, or just Technical Babble.

Old 10-20-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default When Is It Time To Get a New PC?

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/53160

When Is It Time To Get a New PC?

Reader John Coggins recently emailed me wondering whether it was time to upgrade his seven-year-old PC, even though it's working fine. That got me thinking about this post. All things considered... when should you upgrade your computer? Here are some rules of thumb to keep in mind.
  • Dead Components - Eventually your hard drive, optical drive, power supply, or motherboard will fail. These events can range from minor annoyances to catastrophic disasters, but depending on the age of the computer, any of them could be cause for upgrading to a new machine. Consider the power supply. Old, cheap power supplies are frequent failure points, and new supplies often don't fit in old cases and/or don't have the right connectors to work with old motherboards. You can hunt down compatible equipment and adapter cables, but even then it can be dicey installing it. Last time I upgraded an ancient computer's power supply I had to drill new holes in the case to line up the mounting screws properly. At some point, you might just say it's not worth the trouble and that it's time to dump the old PC and get a new one. On the other hand, motherboard meltdowns are usually so severe and expensive to repair that a new PC is in order right away.
  • New Software - Whether you should upgrade to Vista is a wholly separate discussion, but if you really want to run it, you're not going to be doing so on seven year-old hardware. When a new OS rolls around, you'll usually find online advisors that can evaluate whether your old PC is up to the task or whether you need an upgrade. You'll find the Vista Upgrade Advisor here. This is also good to think about if you are upgrading a major piece of software that you frequently use. If you find it runs very slowly on your old PC, it may be time for a new one (or at least some more RAM).
  • Valuing Your Time - Even with RAM upgrades and other internal tweaks, there's only so far you can upgrade any PC before maxing out its capabilities. And over time it will run slower and slower, especially as software (see above) gets larger and larger. If you find yourself launching applications, then wandering off to do something else while they finish loading, it's probably time for a new computer.
  • Compatibility - Newish features like Firewire and USB aren't available on old PCs. Not a problem if your parallel port printer is still running, but what happens when it croaks? You might need a new PC just to be compatible with peripherals you need (though add-in cards can be a stopgap measure). Ditto for software: An old operating system like Windows 98 or 2000 won't run most newly released titles.
  • Gaming - This almost goes without saying, but most gamers upgrade to new hardware every one or two years, simply to keep up with the extreme demands that the latest games place on their computers.
The bottom line: If you are using your PC for basic needs and it is serving you well, there is no reason to upgrade it just because it's getting old, unless you simply want to see what you're missing. With regular maintenance (particularly dusting inside the case), it should survive for a long while: 10, 15, even 20 years is not unheard of, though their utility dramatically diminishes after 10 years. That said, your risk of hardware failure increases as time wears on, as moving parts wear down and solder starts to become brittle and loose. Make sure your backups are up to date, no matter how young your computer might be.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 10-20-2007
Gunner

Default Re: When Is It Time To Get a New PC?

....also when you a get a virus
Old 10-20-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93FLEETWOOD View Post
LOL @ virus.

Old 10-20-2007
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

Quote:
?????

worse case, you could reformat the drive before replacing your entire computer because of a virus.

Imagine if PC users had to replace their system everytime they got a virus. They'd have to get new systems every week
Old 10-20-2007
Veterano

Quote:
Virus whats that?

oh yea windows LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
?????

worse case, you could reformat the drive before replacing your entire computer because of a virus.
Imagine if PC users had to replace their system everytime they got a virus. They'd have to get new systems every week
no just go out and get a Mac or Linux box
Old 10-20-2007
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicano831 View Post

no just go out and get a Mac or Linux box
hey hey hey...leave the mac advertising to sj

:
i rememer back when i had Windows 98 I had to reformat like 4 times in one month. I got some nasty thing that just wouldn't go away.
Old 10-22-2007
Maestro

Windows isn't the problem when it comes to virus it is the USER.

There are tons of viruses out there, but none on my windows box, its all about the USER.

The function of the law is not to provide justice or to preserve freedom. The function of the law is to keep those who hold power, in power. ~Gerry Spence
Old 10-22-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch0l0man View Post

There are tons of viruses out there, but none on my windows box, its all about the USER.
Agree.

Also, stay on topic. It's about when is a good time to replace your computer not about viruses.

Old 10-22-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Agree.

Also, stay on topic. It's about when is a good time to replace your computer not about viruses.
This became part of the topic about four posts ago.

When to replace your PC:
When you can't run Slackware on it.
I still have a PII 350 tower humming away with slack.

The function of the law is not to provide justice or to preserve freedom. The function of the law is to keep those who hold power, in power. ~Gerry Spence
Old 10-22-2007
Veterano

Quote:

yes, and when the majority of the user base are incompetents with computers, the operating system must be designed accordingly, obviously windows is not.
Old 10-22-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
When to replace your PC:
When you can't run Slackware on it.
I still have a PII 350 tower humming away with slack.
When your computer looks like this:

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/null__7/nu...CY9S.CkbAAQlij

LOL.

Old 10-22-2007
Maestro

Quote:
yes, and when the majority of the user base are incompetents with computers, the operating system must be designed accordingly, obviously windows is not.
That is what gets this nation in trouble, building a nation for idiots.

*nix isn't immune to virus attacks, people just don't write them as much. The reality is all OS are flawed and open to attack. Even the mighty Slack has 0days.

Let the idiots die off and there will be more bandwidth for the rest of us.

Even when the OS is built correctly people will still do stupid things.
Like all the new users of Vista who turn off UAC, 'because I hate to allow every time I want to do something'.
Perfect security feature running the account in user mode instead of admin, but bypassed because it is not convenient.

Old 10-22-2007
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Like all the new users of Vista who turn off UAC, 'because I hate to allow every time I want to do something'.
Perfect security feature running the account in user mode instead of admin, but bypassed because it is not convenient.
I hate it, but keep it on just in case I do something stupid.

Old 10-22-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
I hate it but keep it on just in case I do something stupid.
Way to go Tech, I was tempted to disable it, but decided agaisnt it, now I don't see it much. Granted it isn't perfect, nothing is, but it is great for the average user.

MS did the right thing this time around, but now the people will do the wrong thing and disable it.

You can have the most secure OS, but the dumb user will be its down fall. User education is the only way to go.

Old 10-22-2007
Gunner

Well I replaced my computer that I baught like in 2001....this summer...the reason was because it turned off by itself, than turned back on, restarted itself a couple times, and than it went on hibernating mode....and that's where it decided to stay...I unplug it and plug it back in, and its still hibernating, i give it a few smacks and kicks, even yell at it, curse at it, but it won't wake up.....
Old 10-22-2007
Maestro

Quote:
Well I replaced my computer that I baught like in 2001....this summer...the reason was because it turned off by itself, than turned back on, restarted itself a couple times, and than it went on hibernating mode....and that's where it decided to stay...I unplug it and plug it back in, and its still hibernating, i give it a few smacks and kicks, even yell at it, curse at it, but it won't wake up.....
LOL!

Yeah I think if you had it since 2001 it is time to get another one.
I replace my desktops every 5 years. Between 3-5 years is a good timeframe.

Old 10-22-2007
Veterano

Quote:
Make sure all them little fans spin

try vaccuming the inside

might need a new board

Last edited by chicano831; 10-22-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2007
Gunner

Quote:
Make sure all them little fans spin

try vaccuming the inside

might need a new board
yea that's what the geek squad suggested i should do, clean the inside every once in a while, cause a shitload of dust those clog up inside.......

yea, that other computer might need transplants......i might just mess around with it, connect lights, gadgets, and other broken electronics...see what it'll do, meanwhile i just use the disc tray as cup holder
Old 06-02-2011
The one and only
Presidente

bump

Old 06-02-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

My lappy is like the little laptop that could. I've only ever replaced the hard drive and battery. It looks so ancient! It's almost six years old.

aww. Birthday party time! lol.

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 06-05-2011
Chicle

When yours brakes...