Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Artist's Lounge > Artwork, Arte, Image, Graphics Talk > ShutterBugs

ShutterBugs A place for Photographers to discuss anything dealing with Photography.

Old 10-27-2008
Gunner

Send a message via AIM to megustahoy Send a message via Yahoo to megustahoy
Default Photography Website

I'm not too sure where this should go...if it need be moved, so be it.

My husband and I just launched our photography website, and would like to get some feedback. Please take a moment to check it out and let us know what can be improved. It's called:

Thanks!

Last edited by megustahoy; 10-27-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-27-2008
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX
Default Re: Photography Website

Congrats on getting your site up.

Here's my humble input:
  • i think there is too much white, needs more color..when i think photos i think color or black n white..not plain white
  • theres doesn't seem to be a consistency with the color scheme but then again there is not much color to begin with
  • the grey text with the white background seem to be competing with each other a bit
  • text and link wise there seems to be too many options and being that most of the text is the same color and there are only maybe 2 or 3 size variations it can get a bit tiring searching for the links or sections that have priority--perhaps make the most important sections bolder and more distinctive and make the secondary priority stuff (like member admin,links,whats new,etc.) smaller or a lil less distinctive.
  • oh and ..just my picky ass..but for photos i tend to like pop-ups instead of pages that change and remove the gallery grids from my view..gotta keep the user in power yo! lol
thats my web design critique for the moment..beautiful photos tho! keep it up
Old 10-27-2008
Director

Too much white, needs color scheme. Nice layout though. Also, try to put a slideshow on the front page. And finally.. redo the logo.. it doesn't look very pro.

" What is past and cannot be prevented should not be grieved for" - American Indian Proverb

nighter1 debunks his own post

nighter1 cannot answer my question - OWNED.

nighter1's display of stupidity: Calls Black Taco's 'Racist'
Old 10-27-2008
Gunner

Thanks, for the input so far. I really appreciate it. I agree about the color. I'll see what can happen with that. We had the skeleton of the website up before we had the logo, so we tried to stay as neutral as possible with the color. The logo is not going to change any time soon, we both really like it. We have different variations of it. The logo is actually a distorted image of a lens. Here's a less distorted version of it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMX View Post
  • theres doesn't seem to be a consistency with the color scheme but then again there is not much color to begin with
  • oh and ..just my picky ass..but for photos i tend to like pop-ups instead of pages that change and remove the gallery grids from my view..gotta keep the user in power yo! lol
QMX:
Thanks, your insight is very constructive and useful. I agree with you especially about the confusion with the links, I've felt the same way, but you articulated it a lot better than I've been able to. So, thanks a lot for that.

I wonder if you can clarify these two points above for me.

1--Could you give me an example of the inconsistent color scheme? The only serious color scheme I see is with the banner, which changes every time you click on a different link. The banner is also cut in thirds, the middle third is the largest portion, and the outer parts are slightly obscured. Is this the inconsistency you're talking about?

2--I think I understand what you mean here. What is it that you want to have control on? Do you want to be able to click on a gallery grid and go straight to that picture rather than having to click on "next photo?" We have two different types of galleries: this is one, and this is another are any of these close to what you prefer?
Old 10-27-2008
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

Quote:
Could you give me an example of the inconsistent color scheme?
well, i guess since there really is no color I guess what meant was that there doesn't seem to be a theme, identity, etc. You can often differentiate and identify things according to a signature theme...perhaps use tones similar to your logo without making your logo get lost in the process...
--mm perhaps change the color of the banner text "sawan images",since the text is big and next to the logo it will be changing color make the logo the link instead of the text..just a thought.

Quote:
2--I think I understand what you mean here. What is it that you want to have control on? Do you want to be able to click on a gallery grid and go straight to that picture rather than having to click on "next photo?" We have two different types of galleries: this is one, and this is another are any of these close to what you prefer?
Well ,at first i see the gallery/grid of photos but when i click on one that attracts me the most it automatically puts me onto the photo train..aka it gives me less option (fwd or back) instead of the muktiple images taht attracted me in the first place...that would be for the second gallery u linked..which is the first taht i found.

the 1st link gallery i like a lot better except for the vertical thumbnails spaced far apart and the fact that it doesn't automatically scroll.

from what i understand it is a goal to make the site easy to navigate and with minimal clicking.
Old 10-27-2008
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

I will look further when i have a faster connect, liek at work. But so far. I like the logo, but it does need some work. Only thing i would change about the logo is to change the text color, or at the very least the outline color. As it does not stand out from the picture/logo. Or well it doesnt POP like it should, ya know? And the outline blue around the black letters is to thick. Practically making the text mesh together or hard to read maybe is better. In all i just think there letters on your logo needs some work is all.

As far as links go as QMX stated. Maybe have popout or drop down tables with links in them as you scroll over a particular link or main section.
Like for example:

CONTENTS is bold and bigger then the sub links under it. You could make that a link itself which takes you to a page with those other links you have it. Though that kind takes you away from the main page.
Or you can have it to were you scroll your cursor over the "CONTENTS" button and either a drop down window appears were you can select a link from the drop down table/window.

To me the color is ok. I know when my station was re-designing the website we originally had it as blue, but then went to a all white page, but with different color things. LIke links and pictures and what not. I think the white is ok, just have to off set it with some other color, dont know what else though.

Right now right now, that is all i got. Will further look at it.
Old 10-27-2008
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

my only problem is the gallery and site seem to be different entities. This I think is a mistake. It makes the gallery(and as a result your photography) secondary to the rest of your site. The reason I think this is a mistake, is because as a photographer you want your photography to be up there for everyone to see, right away. You have great photos up there and it's a shame most of it won't be seen by people surfing your site the way it is now.

At first glimpse, I had to really search for the "gallery" link to see your pictures. If I were a potential client, that would be bad. Most potential clients will simply click away if they don't see your work right away. The double navigation(left and right) complicates things.

so my suggestion is to restructure it so that your PHOTOGRAPHY is the main focus. The rest of the content is secondary. I hope that makes sense.
Old 10-27-2008
Veterano

Send a message via Yahoo to Mousiie

Quote:
At first glimpse, I had to really search for the "gallery" link to see your pictures. If I were a potential client, that would be bad. Most potential clients will simply click away if they don't see your work right away.
Thats what I did.. I think the advice already given is a good start.. Keep us updated when you make changes tho! I'd love to see the progress..
Old 10-28-2008
Presidente

Finally clicked on the gallery links. I can see how it may be distracting to navigate. It is one problem i have with my deviantart page.

I think this gallery type is better:
http://www.sawanimages.com/aff/openingnight/

But i do see how the links for the gallery's are kind of hard to see, being the same color and all. Maybe try a button instead of worded link?

Its been 3 yrs since my webpage class, forgot some stuff.
Old 10-29-2008
Gunner

This is all great advice. It's good to put our work out to "friendly fire" to receive some constructive criticism. We'll definitely be working on it more and be sure that we'll post up our website's evolution. :P
Old 11-10-2008
Gunner

There are some new edits to the site...the white still remains, but we've cleaned up the links a bit...there are still too many links for my taste, but that will change once we separate the photography blog from the photography site...Right now they're still meshed together.

Old 11-10-2008
Presidente

Thats less busy.