Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Education

Education A place where students of any grade or anyone doing research can ask for assistance or guidance. Working on a project... share your progress.

Old 06-01-2006
Maestro

Default Re: education y nuestra raza

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdlt
question for PROFE and/or whoever is has a MASTERS or a PHD

so....im barely starting to think about this.....hmmmm what do you think is the best way to get a PhD since you already did it...should i go through a master's program or should i apply directly for the PhD???
Lizdlt, I applaud you for thinking about your advanced degree options!

To answer your question, there are two ways you can generally go.

First, you can do a separate master's program, and then apply to do a PhD program later. They can be in the same discipline, but they don't have to be. That's up to you.

The second option is doing what we call a "combo deal" in which you get both a master's degree and PhD at the same time. There are some schools that won't award you the MA until you finish the PhD, and some who will grant you the MA along the way. In these "combo" programs, you generally apply directly to the PhD program, but sometimes they will classify you as a MA/PhD student. It all depends on the program.
Old 06-01-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by girly
I think parents are to blame for the most part if they never provide their kids with motivation or explain to their kids why it's important to go to school.

Many Mexican parents have a lot on their plate like work and taking care of a gazillion kids. Helping their kids with their schooling is at the bottom of their to do list. I hate to say it but ignorance plays a big part in this.

True, I wish that Mexicans would stop having a "gazzillion" kids. Have just a few and emphasis the importance of education.

I dont want to blame my parents for my subpar education, but their apathy certainly played a hand in it.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 06-01-2006
Gunner

when i was younger my mom and dad had a crap load of problems and separated and got back together on and off, i was the oldest of five kids. i had good grades and i was able to graduate a half a year early, but since my mom was "single" with 5 kids at the time, i had to work full time to help her, and in between the few hrs that i did have to myself when i wasnt feeding my brothers or doing all the laundry, i met my first boyfriend, now husband, got pregnant, and decided i could give up my scholarship and go back to school at a later time. Got pregnant again not even two months after my daughter was born, and decided to keep working, to support the family that was growing and help my mom with my brothers and sisters still..so life happens, and it happens fast, i did attend a university for about two years i went part time, but my husband who had already had two kids from a previous marriage, wasnt ready to settle down after all...i quit school to try and keep my family together, and told myself i could go back later...its way later now..but i am attempting to go back..im 26 yrs old, and i have moved closer to my parents so that i could have some support, even though my parents are still the same way they were when i was in high school. i had two sisters that dropped out and got their GED when they were 17 and didnt even think about the chance they were giving up to continue school, a chance i would of loved to have had at their age..but my parents didnt say anything, just helped them sign out of school, and are now doing the same for my 17 yr old brother. I think the environment you grow up in has a lot to do with your life decisions, but every time i gave up, i would think you know my daughter is growing up and i am the best example she has, of what to be as an adult. i dont want her to think its ok to give in...does that make sense? ive only been able to go a little here a little there to school, but eventually i will finish, and it will be great for me to say i did it!
Old 06-02-2006
Travieso

Neilo: There is no need to ever get any degree, particularily by those who don't have the capacity.

Some people need to just sit around and post 7.76 post's a day on SoyChicano.

Just be all you can be. . .
Old 06-02-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeñorChicano
Neilo: There is no need to ever get any degree, particularily by those who don't have the capacity.

Some people need to just sit around and post 7.76 post's a day on SoyChicano.

Just be all you can be. . .

I prefer to do both!!

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 06-02-2006
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow
I will definitely take u up on that offer. I need all the help i can get. I was thinking bout taking a kaplan course b/c my friend taught one and might be doing it again this summer. I would be taking it for free... but i dont know if he s still in the country. in ne case i will be focusing my area of study in some type of social science. I want to be a history/ethnicstudies or something of that sort... i m sure analytical writing will be important for me.

i am not afraid of the math... i m pretty good at math...

i fogot who mentioned it earlier in the thread... i think it was profe.... she said that our people do want their kids to go to college. they know the intrinsic value of higher education... but again, most of these parents dont have the knowledge or resources to aid in the process of applying to school... thats y so many of our youth do not go... it is hard to know things u do not know (if that makes ne sense).

i do feel as individuals people should try to get informed... but it s hard to find things out by urself if u have no idea what to do...
I would do some serious research into the value of a "social science" degree before pursuing it. From my own experience, there is little market value for a social science degree. Granted, I do not have all the stats at my fingertip, but I would do the research. I do know more than one Social Science PhD with no real job related to their area of speciality, simply because their degrees were not in demand.

I would never discourage anyone from pursuing any degree; however, one should move ahead with at least some sense of value of the particular degree in the current market or trend. Unless you are independantly wealthy and earnings are of no concern, you should have a strong understanding of the value of your degree that you wish to pursue.

Earlier I reported some stats (averages) on lifetime incomes from various degrees.
See: http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/depart...mastersdegrees

Also, we have the internet today to help us do research on which programs are best for us. As far as the GRE: practice, practice, practice! The GRE website has practice exams and plenty of resources available. The most difficult part of the GRE, in my opinion, is the timing. This is where practice comes in handy. Once you can respond correctly and quickly within the time frame, then you are ready to take the real exam.

You should also inquire at the graduate offices of the respective programs--and ask them what sort of GRE scores do they look for in graduate applicants. The secretary of the grad school can help you out with completing your application and with making it as competitive as possible. The secretary sees all the applications and knows what the graduate committee is looking for. So ask!
Old 06-02-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Thanks for the advice. However, I am planning to get a social science degree for myself... i am not concerned with accumulating much material wealth. I have a lot of plans to make enough money to keep me and mine comfortable... all the meanwhile, preparing for the future of my seeds (whenever that time comes)....

i want a degree in that b/c i want to always stay pursuing the education of ghetto youth...

i appreciate the advice bout the GRE... thanks. i will definitely practice

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 06-02-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by citlalin
I would do some serious research into the value of a "social science" degree before pursuing it. From my own experience, there is little market value for a social science degree. Granted, I do not have all the stats at my fingertip, but I would do the research. I do know more than one Social Science PhD with no real job related to their area of speciality, simply because their degrees were not in demand.

I would never discourage anyone from pursuing any degree; however, one should move ahead with at least some sense of value of the particular degree in the current market or trend. Unless you are independantly wealthy and earnings are of no concern, you should have a strong understanding of the value of your degree that you wish to pursue.
To this I would add, make SURE that you can really dedicate yourself to graduate studies. You are pretty much going to be MARRIED to your discipline for several years, so if you can't eat, breathe, and sleep your subject, it's going to be very hard on you. You don't want to embark on they study of something you will get bored with quickly.
Old 06-02-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

yeah... i understand... i pretty much eat, breathe, and sleep it....

i know it will be different when in the institution of school... i am prepared...

my studies so far have been focused on what is in my soul...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 06-02-2006
Maestro

Quote:

That's how you know you are in the right field. At least, that's how I know.
Old 06-02-2006
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

yeah... i m very grateful that i can study what i love

Old 06-02-2006
Travieso

Quote:
Follow your bliss - Joseph Campbell
Old 06-02-2006
Veterano

Talking Re: education y nuestra raza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeñorChicano
Follow your bliss - Joseph Campbell

I love that old (now dead) fucker!

Old 06-04-2006
Veterano

There seems to be a line being drawn between those that have secular knowledge i.e. college and those that dont, but have plenty of life experience i.e. having kids and working.

Who is to say which is the more important?

There are plenty of people who never get anywhere with a college degree. And there are plenty of people who go right to the top of their careers with no college but plenty of hard work.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."

-- (John) Calvin Coolidge

And there are plenty of people who have continued their education on their own. They have pursued libraries, book stores, free lectures, public events and work sponsored retreats to satisfy their quest for enlightment and their thirst for knowledge.

I believe you should never stop learning.
You should never say you know it all.

I believe with a strong work ethic, a heathy knowledge of one self, an ability to accept change and a quick spongelike mind - you can go and do anything in this world. No matter what happens along the way - as long as you have those things - you are already ahead of the rest.

okay I'll get off my soapbox now
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Last edited by LaChavela; 06-04-2006 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-04-2006
Mocoso

Quote:
those tests for grad school r so disparaging. i am finally looking into grad programs.... i hate the thought of taking the GRE....

but i have to get ready to study so i can score high on that damn test.
I had the worst migraine in the world after completing the GRE. If it was easy and brainless, everyone would be doing it. Challenge yourself.

You can also retake the GRE if you are not happy with your score. I know one Afrikan Amerikan who took it three times because she needed a higher score to get into the program that she wanted, and she did it!
Old 06-05-2006
Travieso

Quote:
There seems to be a line being drawn between those that have secular knowledge i.e. college and those that dont, but have plenty of life experience i.e. having kids and working.

Who is to say which is the more important?

There are plenty of people who never get anywhere with a college degree. And there are plenty of people who go right to the top of their careers with no college but plenty of hard work.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination are omnipotent."
-- (John) Calvin Coolidge

And there are plenty of people who have continued their education on their own. They have pursued libraries, book stores, free lectures, public events and work sponsored retreats to satisfy their quest for enlightment and their thirst for knowledge.

I believe you should never stop learning.
You should never say you know it all.

I believe with a strong work ethic, a heathy knowledge of one self, an ability to accept change and a quick spongelike mind - you can go and do anything in this world. No matter what happens along the way - as long as you have those things - you are already ahead of the rest.

okay I'll get off my soapbox now
Great. But neither are more important, what is important is that you individually have the tools to asipre to be the best you can - no matter what. The tools of any type of education are essential to a better life.
Old 06-05-2006
Maestro

I am just in amazement that this discussion is going on past a single page. There are so many worthless forums being posted on here, that sometimes the good ones get lost in the shuffle. College is great, education is great but make sure it is what you want to do and not how much you want to make. I am going to school to be a Social Studies teacher, after that i want to pursue a masters and eventual phd in Latino Studies. With a break between the masters and phd to participate in PeaceCorp and go to south america for 2 years.

The only thing that may prevent me from going to the peace corp is that if i do get married before then and have a child i wouldn't want to leave my family.

I love my girl and i have been with her for 3 years but i will let no woman get in the way of my aspirations to attain a teaching degree at the very least. what good is a wife if i am not happy with my job and financially struggling.

Education is the difference between a job and a career
Old 06-05-2006
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino
I am just in amazement that this discussion is going on past a single page. There are so many worthless forums being posted on here, that sometimes the good ones get lost in the shuffle. College is great, education is great but make sure it is what you want to do and not how much you want to make. I am going to school to be a Social Studies teacher, after that i want to pursue a masters and eventual phd in Latino Studies. With a break between the masters and phd to participate in PeaceCorp and go to south america for 2 years.

The only thing that may prevent me from going to the peace corp is that if i do get married before then and have a child i wouldn't want to leave my family.

I love my girl and i have been with her for 3 years but i will let no woman get in the way of my aspirations to attain a teaching degree at the very least. what good is a wife if i am not happy with my job and financially struggling.

Dont think all of our posts are worthless - there are still some people here that try to keep the content on Soy on an even keel.

Your contribution to Soy is noticed and I have watched you these past few years. You have continued in your education and that is very uplifting to me. I like to see young people strive and work towards worthwhile goals.

Maybe your contribution and your example here at Soy has helped someone continue on their path.

But, as you mentioned, life does happen. And that is what I wanted to address. Life happens to people, and some haave had to stop their secular education, but they have gained an education in other ways that are also valuable. I think we should give them credit for that.

Also, those that have had to stop their education and then later in life restarted it. I think that is so admirable.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 06-05-2006
SuaveHighTimes

I hold education to be a valuable asset, but it can't take the place of hard work and ambition.

I don't know, i'm a senstitive guy when it comes to this subject. I can't get past the folks who simply brag about where they are with their education.

Being edcuated and yet unproductive means nothing to no one folks.
Old 06-05-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveHighTimes
Being edcuated and yet unproductive means nothing to no one folks.
Very true, Suave. Part of my own definition of "productive" is serving our community. I know a bunch of Chicanas/os who I went to school with who are in what would be considered "high places," and they won't lift a finger to help anyone else. I've always felt that all this education isn't worth a damn if I can't use it to help my people in some way.

BTW, Suave, how are the preparations going for your test?
Old 06-06-2006
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela
Dont think all of our posts are worthless - there are still some people here that try to keep the content on Soy on an even keel.
I know that but sometimes i look at the names/titles of some forums and feel like why waste my time reading this crap. It feels as if i replied to these same subjects time and time again, it's good to have fun but some times a grown mature discussion is what is needed.

Quote:
Your contribution to Soy is noticed and I have watched you these past few years. You have continued in your education and that is very uplifting to me. I like to see young people strive and work towards worthwhile goals..
Thanks, i try to be open minded and contribute what I can.

Quote:
Maybe your contribution and your example here at Soy has helped someone continue on their path.
I could only hope that i encourage others.

Quote:
But, as you mentioned, life does happen. And that is what I wanted to address. Life happens to people, and some haave had to stop their secular education, but they have gained an education in other ways that are also valuable. I think we should give them credit for that.

Also, those that have had to stop their education and then later in life restarted it. I think that is so admirable.
Those who return face so many more challenges then those of us who go straight through and should be admired for their determination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveHighTimes
I can't get past the folks who simply brag about where they are with their education.
I like to boast and brag about my accomplishments because I made it this far and I am not stopping at anytime. But in that same breath that i say yeah I'm in college i finish off by saying what are your plans. give me your number and i'll hook you up with a free application to BGSU and give you the Admissions councelor for Latino students here at BGSU. and he can hook you up with some scholarship applications.

You yourself can contact the admissions councelor Gabe Lomeli and ask him how many i have refered to BGSU and that number will tripple this summer when i help pass out college apps at the Lorain International Festival

Contact Information
Office of Admissions
110 McFall Center
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0085
Phone: 419-372-BGSU
Toll-Free: 1-866-CHOOSEBGSU
Fax: 419-372-6955
Email: choosebgsu@bgsu.edu

It may be in the middle of the midwest in Ohio and it may not be a big 10 school but it's a University and it's an opportunity.
Old 06-06-2006
Maestro

Quote:
To this, I would add: We have too many Chicanos in trades. We need more Chicano physicians, CPAs, lawyers, educators, scientists, etc. We're not going to see an increase in these areas unless more Raza choose to attend traditional 4-year colleges/universities and advance to graduate and professional education. It's high time we step up to the plate in greater numbers.

As was mentioned previously, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread or section for those applying to institutions of higher education. I think that tons of Soy members have questions, and there are tons of us who can answer them. It would also help those who are not registered with Soy, but who are seeking information.
Old 06-06-2006
Veterano

Then make one Professora

Make a thread and put down all that you know about what to do in applying for college............you can make it progressive........updating everyday

Old 06-06-2006
Maestro

I will!

It would take a VERY long time to detail everything we know about applying to college/grad school/professional school. However, we can try! I'll go ahead and post a general thread that everyone can contribute to at any time.

Let's go!

Edited to add: I started the thread. I hope it becomes an active one!

Last edited by Professora; 06-06-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2006
SuaveHighTimes

Quote:
It may be in the middle of the midwest in Ohio and it may not be a big 10 school but it's a University and it's an opportunity.
I wasn't singleing you out Cele. I don't know why you assumed so. I think you're ok.

But still, i have a full time job and currently buying a home. As much as i'd love to attend that university you mentioned, it's really out of the question. Nevertheless, i'm sure there are a number of others that can probably take advantage of your offer.

And Proffe.....

I've passed all of the Preliminary tests, but i'm studying to obtain a better score.

Still waiting for the test date

Last edited by SuaveHighTimes; 06-06-2006 at 07:31 PM.