Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Artist's Lounge > Artwork, Arte, Image, Graphics Talk > ShutterBugs

ShutterBugs A place for Photographers to discuss anything dealing with Photography.

Old 07-15-2005
Travieso

Default Want to Learn Photo...

I've recently taken quite an appreciation to photography...would love to learn how to learn.

Should I buy a digital or a manual camera?? Any specific type??

books to read??

help...
Old 07-15-2005
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

umm, well okay you have to weight you options, the pro's and con's of digital vs. film. now you can get a digital camera that has manual settings on it, but they are pretty pricey, and i dont know how serious you are into it. Where as it's film conterpart is considerably cheaper, but just as good. the thing though is with digital you can view what your shooting before you decide to print it out, you can more study your mistakes so to speak and get it down to how you want the picture to be. but like i said it is pricey for a manual/ automatic camera.
getting a film camera you can get a nice 35mm manual/ automatic camera for like $200 now i believe, with canon, which is a good brand, it is what i have. now as far as books, i will have to wait til i get home to see the one i used in school, it is a good refference point. good on explaining terms i might use. best thing though is to get a manual setting on it so you can play with exposure and shutter speed, that way you can manipluate photos without even going into photoshop. but once again, it depends on if this is a hobby or something your really really wanting to do.
Old 07-15-2005
Travieso

I think i'm willing to spend the money and maybe buy a used digital camera with manual settings. Not that film cameras are going obsolete, but it seems that people are moving towards digital these days.

Once I get the camera, what do I do...just go out and take pictures?
Old 07-15-2005
Gunner

i think you should hit up your local junior college if you an older person and take a photography class. Its cheap and you will learn more than what you paid for. Plus the classes are very fun i heard.
Old 07-15-2005
Meme

What is it you want to do? Scenics? Portraitures, like shooting models? Sports?

Film is a good way to learn. But the cost can hit your wallet. And you have to wait for the film to be processed before you see what you shot.

Digital has no processing fees, there is no film to worry about. You have the ease of seeing what you shot and adjusting your camera to get a better shot.

Shooting film has some ups like being able to be more creative with your shot by using the settings on the camera like the ISO setting <--film speed. Your shutter speed, your apature settings. Unless you get a moderately priced Digital camera like a Canon 10D or Nikon 100D or above you really don't have those choices.

It's fun to process your own negatives and use those same negatives to print an 8 X 10. With digital it's almost stupid proof.

As for books on photography... you're better off taking a class at some school.

Using photoshop with photography should be for creative purposes or just to clean an image up a bit. Not to fix your shot. If you rely on PS too often you'll never learn how to take a good shot.
Old 07-15-2005
Geek'd Up
Maestro

damn meme thats quite a bit of knowledge that you got on photography...the best advice so far..lol
Old 07-16-2005
Meme

I'm 36 bro.. I've been shooting since I was 14'sh....?
Old 07-16-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Send a message via AIM to SNH Send a message via Yahoo to SNH

Meme is one of the most professional photographers to be a member of this website.

I have some questions for him but will address those later on.
Old 07-16-2005
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to Normies Send a message via Yahoo to Normies

Shooting film is a lot of fun. I am not familiar with digital camreas because I never had one, but back in the late 90's ( DANG!) I would do internships in photojournlism and we shot and processed with film. It was a super great experience to develop your own film in a lab, you could process film in black and white if you wanted too.
I think film cameras are a lot cheaper too and if you go to some pawn shops you can find collectables of cameras from the 50's, 60's or 70's and to me that is acutally really precious valuable stuff. Cameras these days make everything way to easy. Almost takes away the allure of prosessing your art the first place.
Old 07-16-2005
Meme

You're right Normies film cameras (35mm) are way cheaper... but they do have their high end also. I did have a canon elan 7E, before my mustang was broken into....!! grrr. anyway that camera retailed for nearly 500 when it came out. and that was body only!

sometimes it's best to wait a year for the camera system you want to buy... I know I know, but by then another bigger badder better camera is coming out.... but that's the OTHER price you pay, compromise.

When I first started shooting we actually had to make ALL the chemicals ourselves. We had to keep the solutions at perfect temps or the solutions would go bad in a matter of hours. and we had to wait for our negatives to dry because our highschool wouldn't pay for dryers. It took a day for them to dry.

Printing was another fun aspect to photography.. there were a lot of tricks and effects you could pull off as you were printing the shot.

Now like Normies said with digital cameras the photo world is easier. But if you're willing to put some time in and do your homework on the camera system be it canon, nikon, pentax, olympus, kodak..... you can find exactly what you want. Be it film or digital.

Canon is a good camera for the price. For nature photography it's perfect. It's motors for autofocusing are the absolute quietest in the photo world. And they know it.

Nikon has the best optics, that is that their lenses give you the best, sharpest images. in my opinion. But the price scares off a lot of people. me included.. the cha-ching is in the lenses and nikon is by far the most expensive in that category.....

pentax has a good digital system. it's not too expensive and gives you some of the same if not all the same controls as a film camera.

olympus? I'm not familiar with.

Kodak is partnered with Nikon so the high end stuff is the same as nikon.

In photography, as I said a bit ago.. the CHA-CHING$ is in the glass/lenses. the better quality the lens, the better the shot will be.

Usually buying a kit is best for beginners unless you know what it is you want to do with your new hobby/artistic endeavor.

as a begginner do not worry about the quality of the lens. just get familiar with the camera....

hell my canon 10D still has crap I haven't used!! I just realized that there was a custom function on that I had no idea was on!!! Everytime I would focus in on something or someone and hold the shutter release button down for the shot it would jump back out of focus!! it drove me crazy! so I started shooting fully manual, this is where the old school learning comes in handy, for months now!! luckily I know how so it wasn't too much of a problem.

But that was the guy in me... haha I hate reading manuals!! they suck.
Old 07-16-2005
Meme

Here is a perfect example of what I was referring to on the auto-focus of 35 mm digital cameras.

This first one was shot with auto-focus on... it jumped out of focus as I snapped the shot.

This one was shot with manual focus, I focused in on what I wanted. Not the camera.

Digital cameras are very sensative so the learning curve on a highend digital camera is going to be a little harder for a begginner. That's not saying you can't learn.
Old 07-16-2005
Chicle

Send a message via AIM to Normies Send a message via Yahoo to Normies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme
You're right Normies film cameras (35mm) are way cheaper... but they do have their high end also. I did have a canon elan 7E, before my mustang was broken into....!! grrr. anyway that camera retailed for nearly 500 when it came out. and that was body only!

sometimes it's best to wait a year for the camera system you want to buy... I know I know, but by then another bigger badder better camera is coming out.... but that's the OTHER price you pay, compromise.

When I first started shooting we actually had to make ALL the chemicals ourselves. We had to keep the solutions at perfect temps or the solutions would go bad in a matter of hours. and we had to wait for our negatives to dry because our highschool wouldn't pay for dryers. It took a day for them to dry.

Printing was another fun aspect to photography.. there were a lot of tricks and effects you could pull off as you were printing the shot.

Now like Normies said with digital cameras the photo world is easier. But if you're willing to put some time in and do your homework on the camera system be it canon, nikon, pentax, olympus, kodak..... you can find exactly what you want. Be it film or digital.

Canon is a good camera for the price. For nature photography it's perfect. It's motors for autofocusing are the absolute quietest in the photo world. And they know it.

Nikon has the best optics, that is that their lenses give you the best, sharpest images. in my opinion. But the price scares off a lot of people. me included.. the cha-ching is in the lenses and nikon is by far the most expensive in that category.....

pentax has a good digital system. it's not too expensive and gives you some of the same if not all the same controls as a film camera.

olympus? I'm not familiar with.

Kodak is partnered with Nikon so the high end stuff is the same as nikon.

In photography, as I said a bit ago.. the CHA-CHING$ is in the glass/lenses. the better quality the lens, the better the shot will be.

Usually buying a kit is best for beginners unless you know what it is you want to do with your new hobby/artistic endeavor.

as a begginner do not worry about the quality of the lens. just get familiar with the camera....

hell my canon 10D still has crap I haven't used!! I just realized that there was a custom function on that I had no idea was on!!! Everytime I would focus in on something or someone and hold the shutter release button down for the shot it would jump back out of focus!! it drove me crazy! so I started shooting fully manual, this is where the old school learning comes in handy, for months now!! luckily I know how so it wasn't too much of a problem.

But that was the guy in me... haha I hate reading manuals!! they suck.
hmm interesting. yeah, I found Canon and Nixon were the two best.
Yeah, back then we would wait for the paper to dry off as well.( well, not too long ago) I went into a pawn shop and the film cameras that normally would sell for 500-600 bucks were sold for 100-300 bucks. I think thats pertty good.
Seems like technology took off like a rocket after 1999. From comptuers to cameas, everything changed and improved.

Anyways.... I think buying a camera is a excellent investment, I want one!! :P
Old 07-16-2005
Gunner

Send a message via Skype™ to Islas

I love photography. I've taken a few classes and experimented with digital and film.

Personally I love film, mainly because I love developing it. For me its creating art, I can take cut and leave only what I want. I still mix the chemicals because for me its relaxing, I know what i need to do and how to do it so no one can tell me anything about. I have access to a dark room so its easier for me to develop it also. I have a Nikon 100D too which I love.

It depends on your resources and the dedication you have for photography.
Old 07-16-2005
Meme

ya I bought my sister her first canon at a pawn shop.. I didn't have the money to get her a new one... but she liked it.
I've since seen other canon elan7E that I paid nearly 700 for, because of the lenses and filters, going for 300!!! I almost cried. damn it.
Old 07-16-2005
Gunner

Send a message via Skype™ to Islas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme
ya I bought my sister her first canon at a pawn shop.. I didn't have the money to get her a new one... but she liked it.
I've since seen other canon elan7E that I paid nearly 700 for, because of the lenses and filters, going for 300!!! I almost cried. damn it.
Only reason I got a new camera was because of my grades at school, and because I didn't buy any little treats for a long time so my dad got it for me.

Oh by the way J its better to take classes because you'll have a teacher you can rely on the first couple times
Old 07-16-2005
Presidente

i have a canon rebel eos II, damn good camera.

now they have the digital canon rebels, round about a grand for the the standard stuff. they are very good to, i have worked with them in school, i want one, someday.

you can go to a higher end canon, but this will do just fine.
Old 07-16-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

I have a Sony Cybershot F717 and I have been using these cameras of the series for years now. I enjoy the quality of images from this camera and the options in setting however, I am planning on purchasing a FILM camera to go along with my digital camera. Reason being that I have found that shots taken with a digital camera can sometimes be ruined because the digital camera will try to make up for its differences.

Meaning, If I were to take a picture of a scene such as this one...

The digital camera will tend to cause noise and distortion in the sky. You really have to know how to set your temperature and/or sensitivity/ISO settings. I want to get a film camera in hopes of producing better shots.

Unless I can find someone with the same camera or similar camera to my digital camera who can help me out with understanding how to use the settings properly. Trying to learn this on my own is a bitch.
Old 07-16-2005
Meme

you are correct sal. you get pixelation on the edges of color hue changes.

If you've ever used your digital camera to shoot at night you'll see a lot more of it in the blacks that it tries to replicate.

Here are some camera sites to check out and compare prices.

KEH.com
B&Hphotovideo.com
buydig.com
shutterbug.net <---I like this one for all of its articles on name brands and technics and advice.
Old 07-16-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Yeah, and those things called hot pixels (stand alone color dots/pixels). Ugh! Seems like everytime.

I have heard good reviews and suggestions for B & H. I plan on purchasing equipment from there when I can afford it.

So far, I have been doing the Ebay thing and Photographer Yard Sales in my area. Those are great for good deals.
Old 07-16-2005
Meme

B&H is or was my spot for buying film.. I'd buy the imported 50 iso/asa film like portra by kodak. here it costs anywhere from 12 - 20 bucks a roll.

On bh I pay about 3.35 a roll.

KEH has good prices on new and used camera bodies and lenses. I like that place. I picked up a really fast lens on their for 80 bucks and it's my favorite lens for shooting film.

that sony you have was actually my first choice when I was shopping for a digital camera. But decided to go with an SLR instead.
it's a 5 megapixel right?
Old 07-17-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Yes, 5 megapixels.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/

I want to get the newer model which is the F828

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

Old 07-17-2005
Meme

ya I dig those.
they have a carl zeiss lens. high quality glass there man. that's was making me want that camera.

but I need more versatility in lenses... so I went slr so I could change out lenses.
the new one is what? 8 megapixels?

Oh by the way everyone.... the amount of megapixels is not a huge factor when buying a digital camera.

How big are going to want to print? 8x10 11x14? which are about the biggest most regular consumers really want to go anyway...

Did you know that if you shot at your highest setting on a digital camera and came out with a 2000 x 3000 resolution shot that the print shop is going to automatically drop the resolution to 300 dpi?!! yes 300. You'll still get a good image but that much resolution is just not needed by most consumers/us.

so if you want some big bad johnny canales camera with loads of mega pixels, think of what you will be using it for and don't waste your money.

By: Ken Rockwell

Forget the silly debate over pixel counts among digital cameras. There is little visible difference between cameras with seemingly different ratings. For instance, a 3MP camera pretty much looks the same as a 5MP camera.

Resolution has little to do with image quality. Color and tone are far more important technically. Even Consumer Reports in their November 2002 issue noted some lower resolution digital cameras made better images than some higher resolution ones.

THE MYTH

The megapixel myth was started by camera makers and swallowed hook, line and sinker by camera 'measurbators'. Camera makers use the number of megapixels a camera has to hoodwink you into thinking it has something to do with camera quality.

The megapixel myth is also prevalent because men always want a single number by which something's goodness can be judged.

Unfortunately, it's all a myth because the number of megapixels (MP) a camera has has very little to do with how the image looks. Even worse, plenty of lower MP cameras can make better images than poorer cameras with more MP.
Old 07-17-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Yep, the new f828 is an 8 Megapixel camera. Also, it is the first camera by sony to feature the four color RGBE color filter array. See linked page:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

Regarding the megapixel size... I use the larger megapixel cameras for the purpose of graphics design and digital editing. I am not so worried about the size for print as that is the least of my concerns.
Old 07-17-2005
Meme

ya that's why it's there. for those that need that much information in an image, you'll have it.
Old 07-17-2005
Presidente

although i never really used this book, it is a good book regardless, but i learned by actually doing and seeing it done instead of reading about it, it is a good refference book i guess. IN the book store on my campus it was like 80 bucks, but i am sure you can find it cheaper.

its called:
Photography 7th edition
by:
Barbara London
John Upton
Ken Kobre
Betsy Brill