Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Chicano Movement

Chicano Movement Share information relating to The Chicano Movement

Old 10-16-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Send a message via AIM to SNH Send a message via Yahoo to SNH
Default Con Safos (c/s)

Repost...
  • Carlos wrote..
    http://www.serratowebpage.com/terms.htm

What is Con Safos?

In a book by Jose Antonio Burciaga, "Drink Cultura", the author describes this term and it's origin as:

"At one time or another many of us have seen the c/s sign-off on Chicano 'placas' and graffitti in the Southwest or Midwest. It's a very common Chicano symbol but its true origin and significance is nebulous. It is not a Mexican symbol but a Chicano, a Mexican-American, sysmbol. Its origin is unknown but, like the 'Pachuco', it probably originated in South El Paso's 'Segundo Barrio'. The c/s sign-off means 'con safos', and translates literally as "with safety." It was meant as a safety precaution, a barrio copyright, patent pending. No one else could use or dishonor the grafitti. It was an honorable code of conduct, a literary imprimatur. Like saying "amen," it ended discussion. Above all, it meant, "anything you say against me will bounce back to you."Most kids respected a 'placa' if signed off with the c/s. Without that symbol, a placa would sooner or later get scribbled on or erased. Some kids would put a double c/s sign or put xxx after it, or a skull and cross bones, which physically threatened anyone who did not honor and respect the code. The closest possible Spanish word from which safos could have come would be 'safo' from 'safar', or 'safado', which translates to slip or slipped. This is a plausible definitoin since the c/s is meant to let insults slip off, to protect and shield from attacks. In a game of marbles, Chicano kids used the word 'safis' if they let the marble slip before shooting it in the right direction. By saying safis the marble shooter was allowed to try again. Some Chicanos will also end a placa, graffitti, with the message 'con o sin safos', which means that with or without safety, with or without this code, whether you like it or not, whether you insult me back or not, this placa, insult or praise, stands."

My domain chicanismo.org has been messing up alot lately, I own alot of domains but this one has been going wrong with me for the past year or so, it would resolve alot to play-asia.com, I finally got tired of it and pulled the plug on chicanismo.org and all the writings I've put and only linked to certain people. So I bought consafos.org which should be the new home for it, I think of it as a temporary home for chicanismo.org but we'll never know.

We were talking about this in the soy chat and someone had asked what the meaning of consafos is, so here we go.
Old 10-16-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Quote:
Less and less raza are using this as well as Caló in general which is sad. We are acting more and more like gavas and blacks
I am glad you mentioned this, it reminds me to continue working on adding a Caló Dictionary to this site. Thank you.

Quote:
So what does C/S/R mean? I see that around.
Good question. I have not seen that used but I am curious to know.

I have seen T/S/R(Todos Somos Raza) but not C/S/R. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.
Old 10-16-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Ah, I am thinking of TSR which I first head from a publication at http://www.barriowarriors.net/home.html

and mixing it up with what I heard about "Somos Raza" which a project of Union del Barrio. http://uniondelbarrio.org/somos/

Maybe it is just me.. but I see some Cultural significance in TSR. Que no?
Old 10-16-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Hmmmm...

Quote:

TSR is a magazine made up of Barrio arte, poemas and historia. TSR was aimed mainly at Barrio youth. As we began to grow we decided to start to open our arena and begin another publication Con Safos Magazine and begin organizing Barrio events. This growth spurt spawned the need for a larger organization with a name that could best identify us.

Our subscription to warriorship philosophy was key to our organization. Aztlan is the undisputed homeland of Chicanos, and being that we believe the heart of Aztlan lies in the Barrios thus Barrio Warriors de Aztlan was born.

We have been criticized to the fullest extent by everyone. We try never to discriminate so we made sure that we got criticized by every race, color, class, religion and creed. Our firm stances on many issues have gotten us many nasty letters and even potential lawsuits. Our main concern is that Raza issues get addressed from gente that care about their Raza first and foremost.

So Barrio Warriors continues with the spirit of Cuahtemoc, the fury of Emiliano Zapata, the class of the Pachuco, the style of the Cholo, and the power of every Brown fist that has picked the crops that have fed this continent for centuries. We have taken our place in the Movement. We have and always will give our all to La Raza.
I suppose the above quote, taken from the website I linked about TSR, all just means that it is for the world. Not at all, in any way, specific for a region or culture.
Old 10-16-2005
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude1977
Less and less raza are using this as well as Caló in general which is sad. We are acting more and more like gavas and blacks

I agree. It is sad. Calo is such a beautiful language. I fear that someday no one will ever be asking where all da firme hynas are and this makes me want to weep openly.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 10-17-2005
SuaveHighTimes

Calo must be a thing of the southwest, but definitely not a thing here in the mid-west. You don't hear people talking calo, unless they are trying to act like they are from L.A, or really are from L.A. Otherwise, we'd look at you funny.

I've read drink Cultura, and learned what Con Safos means. But whatever meaning and history it has is in L.A and/or any other city, that meaning is lost on us. We hardly have any murals to look at let alone those we do that have C/S written across it. I mean, we have some murals, but not enough to say that it's part of our daily lives.

Do I c are much for Calo? I want to say sure, but the answer is no, not really. The only time I ever hear of calo, is when someone is using it to mock our race, or when I'm watching "Blood in, Blood out". It's the stuff of movies.

No disrespect to anyone, but it often amuses me how those in L.A have this idea built up that Chicanos everywhere are just like them, whereas in most cases, Chicanos everywhere have worked to build up their own identity. Well; news flash: Not every chicano says, "orale ese". And not every Chicano was raised believing he should.
Old 10-17-2005
SuaveHighTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Sabelotodo
Are you sure people are not speaking calo? "Orale ese" is not calo. So I can see your assumption is based on incorrect information. Maybe you could post up anyother words you think are calo and I suspect you will be incorrect. No disrespect intended but maybe you could enlighten us on your opposition to something you may or may not know about. But you are right though that calo is not the prevalent and is regional. Other than that I suspect you do not know much about it and I suspect you donot want to know. But yet your avatar is misleading to your personal beliefs.
First and foremost, i am not in "Opposition" of anything. I'm NOT standing in your way of talking like whatever the heck you want to talk like. And yes, I KNOW I am right about calo being a regional dialect. Thanks for pointing that out. But if you so agree that it is not the prevalent to use and agree to calo, then how can you later say that my avatar is misleading to my beleifs? Should I end my sentences with "homie" and "vato" to prove my ancestry and ethnicity to you? Yeah, I may not know everything there is to know about 'Calo', but I know it isn't the standard for identifying Chicanos.
Old 10-17-2005
SuaveHighTimes

Quote:
So far only vato is a calo word. Do you know others?
Stop being so trivial and look at the bigger picture. Notice how the sentence structure is complimented by the use of these words. Calo and Chicano slang work hand in hand. Why are you picking to fight? I was making an observation. Must we go word over word to make you happy?
Old 10-17-2005
Karlos

Quote:
Are you sure people are not speaking calo? "Orale ese" is not calo perse but a common spanish.
Ergh! Wrong answer.

Orale ese is indeed calo. Calo doesnt EXACTLY have to be the word itself but the sayings. Orale ese was something brought up back in the 50s. It later was revived by surenos who called one another "ese". Never was a ""spanish" saying. Nobody in Mexico says "orale ese", so don't make up lies. Nortenos say "ene" to on another.

See? I can be just an asshole over details just like you. So back up off the members or I will pounce your sorry ass.
Old 10-17-2005
SuaveHighTimes

Quote:
So I can see your assumption is based on incorrect information.
Lol, thanks Karlos. How about it now MrIknowitall. Your words never rang so true, have they? lol, what a dummy.
Old 10-17-2005
Karlos

Got any proof people in Mexico say "Orale ese"? My primo just came from D.F. to Salinas after graduating from UNAM and he heard someone say "Orale ese" for the first time, he chuckled.

Pounce your ass is an e-threat(Tejano says e-threats all the time too) of course. That means you have your very own babysitter, congratulations.
Old 10-17-2005
Karlos

Quote:
Do you even seak spanish.
You say this ^^^...

But say this:

Quote:
My grandfather who does not speak calo ia sure says "orale pues" and uses orale in other configurations and he also says "ese" to signify wwhat he is talking about. Like in "Dame ese plato".
Wow.....maybe you need to clearn the earwax out of your ears, he said "Dame este plato". But let's play along with your crazy theory.

Orale pues > Dame ese plato > Orale ese!

LOL you're pathetic.

Quote:
are you quoting something you read somewhere?
(Tejano likes to attack the fact that I read alot of books)\
Old 08-27-2006
Fresh Meat!

Default Back in the Day... What did C/S mean?

I grew up in El Centro, CA back in the late '60 and early '70s.

When we would tag (didn't call it back then) something, the normal practice was to write your name followed by the letters, "C/S".

Seems like I remember it stood for something like "Con Safos".

Any OGs out there remember this? And what the hell Safos means?

Not sure if this tag was only done in the Imperial Valley.

Thanks...
Old 08-27-2006
Veterano

Default Re: Back in the Day... What did C/S mean?

It does mean con safos.

THe Brown Buffalo said it meant "fuck you, if you don't like it"

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 08-27-2006
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to El Cocinero

I remember when gente used to put "Con Safos" after their plaquiasos.....it was not only in the valle of imperial but other places as well.....even here in Blythe.

You don't see it any more.....and don't even know what it meant either.

Soy Chicano Flickr

"Don't Fuck With The Person That Handles Your Food!"
Old 08-27-2006
Veterano

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=con+safos

Old 08-27-2006
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

I have seen it used with tags in other barrios in various locations throughout west united states.

I really didn't pay much attention to it's meaning until I noticed a small local publication in Colordao use the term as the name of their publication.

www.barriowarriors.net

I also know that there was an album labeled with the term... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_Safos
Old 08-27-2006
Veterano

c/s = fuck you if you dont like it

it was put on graffiti and now is used in other mediums.....

I think I will put it somewhere on my "cookbook"
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 08-27-2006
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

LOL. That's how I heard it before as well.
Old 08-27-2006
Fresh Meat!

Thanks for the quick replies.

Ahh, the good ol' days...
They sucked!
Old 08-27-2006
Veterano

The good ol' days

they look better from here.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 08-27-2006
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to MrPinche

haha the good ol days...

i will now put c/s after everything that i write

C/S,
pinche
You're an immigrant too.

Who's usin' who?
What should we do?
Well you can't be a pimp
And a prostitute too..." white stripes
Old 08-07-2009
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Con Safos (c/s)

bump

I always called it the Chicano Copyright.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 08-07-2009
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

lol..at those arguing idiots at the beginning of the thread
Old 08-07-2009
Maestro

there is a good chapter on C/S in the book Drink Cultura but haven't read it since...well this post was made lol