Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Entertainment > Books

Books Discuss here about your favorite reads.

Old 12-09-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Fifteen Poets of the Aztec World

I thought someone posted this a while ago, but couldn't find it. I think the user who posted it deleted their account and so we must start again.

Book is written of course by Miguel Leon Portilla. The title says it all so no idea what to add to that.

What is everyone's opinion of the book?

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 12-10-2008
Veterano

Default Re: Fifteen Poets of the Aztec World

Niyorco
Old 12-10-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Have you read it?

Old 12-10-2008
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

Its a quality must-read. It gives a good intro into traditional Mexican philosophical/spiritual concepts via the poetry . I'm sure the poetry translations might be a little off but definitely a good read.
Old 12-10-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMX View Post
I'm sure the poetry translations might be a little off but definitely a good read.
A little? That's being too nice. LOL.

Old 12-10-2008
Veterano

Send a message via Yahoo to Mousiie

You can always go through it and make your corrections Tec.. And then forward them to us.

I actually liked this book even though there is a certain sentiment, a feeling, that I feel gets lost in the translation when you read them ~ the original nahuatl versions of each poem I've read so far can't compare to poetry written today IMO.. Feels like the words should be sung rather than recited..
Old 12-10-2008
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
A little? That's being too nice. LOL.
Well he has to be given credit for doing the bulk work of the translation. I think unless you know some decent Nahuatl and are well versed in the philosophies and traditions,the translations will always be faulty. And of course it is impossible to translate the profound experience and ollin of Ometeotzin into a static description. I feel even your boy David Vasquez is a little off with some of his translations.
Old 12-10-2008
Veterano

Is it well translated? I don't like when it's half-off translated, it tends to kill the meaning behind it.
Old 12-10-2008
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyorco View Post
Is it well translated? I don't like when it's half-off translated, it tends to kill the meaning behind it.

It's a good read with good insight.
Old 12-10-2008
Veterano

Orale.............

I feel like dropping a line.....

*goes to writers block*
Old 12-11-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMX View Post
Well he has to be given credit for doing the bulk work of the translation. I think unless you know some decent Nahuatl and are well versed in the philosophies and traditions,the translations will always be faulty. And of course it is impossible to translate the profound experience and ollin of Ometeotzin into a static description. I feel even your boy David Vasquez is a little off with some of his translations.
Translating is so hard no matter what. Somehow culture is always involved with words.

There are some words in the book I think have changed since it was Spanish to English translation and some words are a bit off.

I remember one time with David Vasquez I was trying to translate a Nahuatl sentence to Spanish and he was helping me and then a native Spanish speaker came into the room and corrected the structure and some of the words used for us. Boy, were we embarrassed. LOL.

Quote:
It's a good book to have. I have it in my collection bc it shows the literature (for culture & philosophy, I recommend 'Aztec Thought and Culture'.) side of the Americas. Many ignorant people believe the only literature is an eurocentric (when I mean eurocentric, I mean written in the latin alphabet from left to right and etc...) one when some of these poems in the book were taught in schools and which many of these poems survived.

Old 12-11-2008
Veterano

Dope!!!
Old 12-25-2008
Estudiante

it is a great book!

imo, In the language of kings>>> 15 poets.

it is a very beautiful compilation though, I agree!
Old 09-06-2009
The one and only
Presidente

The whole book here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=0Xa...1&output=embed

Old 09-19-2009
Gunner

sweet thanks
Old 09-19-2009
The one and only
Presidente

Welcome.

Old 05-13-2010
Prospect

Good book but there are only maybe a handful of poems worth reading. Not one of Leon-Portilla's good works, he could have done better.
Old 05-13-2010
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlushPuppie View Post
Good book but there are only maybe a handful of poems worth reading. Not one of Leon-Portilla's good works, he could have done better.
With this book, I just think he was trying to show that there was poets in the the Americas before Columbus.

Old 05-13-2010
Veterano

well yeah, of course there were poets before Columbus. Poetry is an art, a gift and talent from within, not something that can be introduced like some foreign object.
Old 05-13-2010
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
well yeah, of course there were poets before Columbus. Poetry is an art, a gift and talent from within, not something that can be introduced like some foreign object.
Yes, it's basic knowledge, but many people have stereotypes of how Mexico was like before.

I don't know if you have read many random old books about Mexico, but if you were to read them, they make it sound like the conquest was a blessing by bringing "literature" & "poetry".

Old 05-13-2010
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Yes, it's basic knowledge, but many people have stereotypes of how Mexico was like before.

I don't know if you have read many random old books about Mexico, but if you were to read them, they make it sound like the conquest was a blessing by bringing "literature" & "poetry".
the conquest may have brought a few things that did help in some form or another, as to how people view it along with the sterotypes of Mexico will always be among different opinions. Old books about Mexico are written in they style of the author, just like poetry is written by the poet. In his/her own view. Literature can be an art, an art in different forms which are endless in expressions. Yet, it use to be limited. Limited to only in leans of certain views in how the expression is discused by the readers, thus, becoming those books that you don't agree with. Why, well, simply because those books seem to be (at the time) the only ones available.

Now, this art. Is more free these days. I'll take you for example Tec. You know quite a bit of knowledge in the native tribes of the Americas and history. So of course, you have read and studied in which has now developed your own views and contradictions. Well, perhaps you'd like to express your views, and share them with the world. Just like those books that are published in which you don't agree with. However, you have doubts that the industry will not publish your book. Which, has a high chance of happening, in turn, angering you a bit because the ones you don't agree with are already out theire.

But the thing now days is this. You don't need the industry to publish your views. You can do it on your own with digital publishing (ebooks). And guess what, your views that contradict those books in which you may not agree with but are available, are now available to argue your points and get them out. Just like you were able to get your hands on those books, people can get their hands on your book, and in time, send a sense of another resource in how people have another book to chose from.

Old 10-13-2014
The one and only
Presidente

A good counter for today.

Old 10-07-2015
The one and only
Presidente

bump