Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Rants & Raves

Rants & Raves Got something to rant about. Post about it here.

Old 10-01-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Conquering My Fear Of Driving

Lately, I rarely post personal stuff, so I guess I'll post something personal.

For my of my life, I have had a fear of driving. It may sound silly to any of you who is reading this, but the fear appeared since childhood. My aunt and grandma, both who I was very close as a child, both died in a car accident. Eventually other relatives would get into car accidents and it seem to give me fear. It consumed me and it prevented me from driving.

It's hard to explain it to people who won't understand. When I speak to people and I explain my degree, my career and once they find out that I can't drive, they don't tell me, but I get a feeling that they think I am lying about my background just bc I can't drive. I usually don't say anything about this bc it's a bit embarrassing. I feel like most people would never understand.

As odd as all this seems, I do own a car. I have owned it for a few years. It was brand new when I purchased it from the dealership.

Anyway, it wasn't until this year, that I actually fought the fear of being behind the wheel. I driven most of the 10 in LA, most of the 5 (from southern to northern cali and back again), most of the 55, quick enough to avoid a car accident (all this with someone who had a driver license riding shotgun), but yet I can't parallel park.

When I went for my driving test, I hoped I wouldn't have to parrelel park. Boy, was I wrong; I gotten the guy who took his job too seriously. The instructor I gotten wore a clean white lab coat with his name tag and looked almost like the professor from the Richie Rich movie. I was in the front, I looked at the other instructors and they wore regular clothes and knew I would be screwed. While he was checking my car, the other instructors were already in their car waiting for my car to drive so they can continue as well. Anyway, I did everything ok until I had to parallel park, he gave me an automatic fail since he said I put everyone in danger. I was dumbfounded since there was no cars parked where he told me to parallel park and no cars were driving in the area. The area was empy.

So that is my situation. I am conquering my fear, but failed my test hoping that I get my license this year so I can drive anywhere I want.

*update*

I finally gotten my Driver's license.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 12-18-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2013
Mocoso

Default Re: Conquering My Fear Of Driving

Tec, I can relate to you as well. I find driving nerve wrecking. I am also facing that fear of being behind the wheel and trying to become more confident when it comes to driving

The great thing here is that you are conquering your fear, so good luck on your next exam
Old 10-01-2013
Gunner

You're young, man. Make it happen.
Old 10-01-2013
Miss Mod
Veterano

I got in a pretty bad car accident almost two years ago on the 405. Thankfully, no one involved was seriously hurt, but every time I drive through that stretch of the freeway I get a little scared that I'll get in another one.

I love driving, but after that I drive much more safely. As far as parallel parking, practice makes perfect! I got so good at it from living in Westwood where you had to learn how to parallel park otherwise you'd never find a parking spot.

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 10-01-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

people aren't scared of driving because they don't actually let it sink in and think about what they are doing. The act of driving and going faster than our brains were ever programmed to go is INSANE. it's really amazing how our brains even adapt to such a thing. Humans haven't been driving for that long compared to how long we've been on this planet. I am just thankful our brains haven't exploded for all these crazy things we are putting ourselves through.

....umm, that probably didn't make it easier to get behind the wheel. sorry tec, lol
Old 10-01-2013
Maestro

Best of luck with the driving bro and lots of us can't never parallel park right
Old 10-01-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

if you want to parallel park. like I mean become an absolute pro and amaze your friends with your skills, move to San Francisco. Within that first week you'll be doing some crazy parking that makes the rest of any parking situation you'll ever encounter, a walk in the park.

if you don't, you'll be walking a lot uphill and have killer calves. you'd still amaze your friends, lol
Old 10-01-2013
Gunner

..ey is it the same with driving both small cars/sedans and trucks/SUVs?
Old 10-02-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
if you want to parallel park. like I mean become an absolute pro and amaze your friends with your skills, move to San Francisco. Within that first week you'll be doing some crazy parking that makes the rest of any parking situation you'll ever encounter, a walk in the park.

if you don't, you'll be walking a lot uphill and have killer calves. you'd still amaze your friends, lol
That's pretty funny. haha.

Don't sweat it, Tec.
I didn't learn to drive and get my license until I was 21.
Parallel parking can be a doozie, but you can do it.
Practice makes passable.

Good luck!
Old 10-02-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Lately, I rarely post personal stuff, so I guess I'll post something personal.

For my of my life, I have had a fear of driving. It may sound silly to any of you who is reading this, but the fear appeared since childhood. My aunt and grandma, both who I was very close as a child, both died in a car accident. Eventually other relatives would get into car accidents and it seem to give me fear. It consumed me and it prevented me from driving.

It's hard to explain it to people who won't understand. When I speak to people and I explain my degree, my career and once they find out that I can't drive, they don't tell me, but I get a feeling that they think I am lying about my background just bc I can't drive. I usually don't say anything about this bc it's a bit embarrassing. I feel like most people would never understand.

As odd as all this seems, I do own a car. I have owned it for a few years. It was brand new when I purchased it from the dealership.

Anyway, it wasn't until this year, that I actually fought the fear of being behind the wheel. I driven most of the 10 in LA, most of the 5 (from southern to northern cali and back again), most of the 55, quick enough to avoid a car accident (all this with someone who had a driver license riding shotgun), but yet I can't parallel park.

When I went for my driving test, I hoped I wouldn't have to parrelel park. Boy, was I wrong; I gotten the guy who took his job too seriously. The instructor I gotten wore a clean white lab coat with his name tag and looked almost like the professor from the Richie Rich movie. I was in the front, I looked at the other instructors and they wore regular clothes and knew I would be screwed. While he was checking my car, the other instructors were already in their car waiting for my car to drive so they can continue as well. Anyway, I did everything ok until I had to parallel park, he gave me an automatic fail since he said I put everyone in danger. I was dumbfounded since there was no cars parked where he told me to parallel park and no cars were driving in the area. The area was empy.

So that is my situation. I am conquering my fear, but failed my test hoping that I get my license this year so I can drive anywhere I want.
The only solution I can think of is for you to get a horse. It would fit your lifestyle Chief.
Old 10-02-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
The only solution I can think of is for you to get a horse. It would fit your lifestyle Chief.
Made me laugh.

Old 10-02-2013
Mocoso

Lol
Old 10-02-2013
Veterano

Trade in your economy car for something really heavy duty like an older Cadillac or truck like a Suburban. Then you'll have more confidence that if you do get into an accident, you're much more likely to survive it than if you were driving a Honda or Toyota.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 10-02-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I'm yet to see a horse parallel parked though
Old 10-03-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by puro guanatos View Post
I'm yet to see a horse parallel parked though
Do you know how hard it is to back up a freaken horse?! Sheesh!
Old 10-08-2013
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to shortcakes

Don't give up tec, you can most definitely conquer your fear of driving. I've been driving for 14 years, been in plenty of car accidents behind the wheel as well as a passenger...some pretty severe and I've survived every one with minimal scratches. Yes, I'm aware I've been very fortunate. Driving is hard at first, but once you get comfortable it becomes second nature.

When I first started driving I practiced a lot in the night time when traffic was light. My dad also took me to empty car lots and had me learn how to parallel park between rocks haha! Try the freeways in the night time as well. Good luck Tec, you can do it!
Old 10-08-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

i said it once and I'll say it again. shorty when you are on the road, let the rest of us know so we can stay home.
Old 10-09-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcakes View Post
Don't give up tec, you can most definitely conquer your fear of driving. I've been driving for 14 years, been in plenty of car accidents behind the wheel as well as a passenger...some pretty severe and I've survived every one with minimal scratches. Yes, I'm aware I've been very fortunate. Driving is hard at first, but once you get comfortable it becomes second nature.
I'm still trying to figure out if the above advice is actually talking Tec into or out to conquer his fears....
Old 10-09-2013
Veterano

^^^Dude, its total encouragement. It means that while you can expect to always be getting into car accidents, you will most likely walk away from all of them I dont want to even mention how many car accidents I havent been in, because I dont want to jinx it but I will use my mom as an example because she's already old. She has been driving since the 70s and has never had a car accident. If you drive defensively and are sensible, you will probably never have any accidents.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee

Last edited by KoolArrow; 10-09-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2013
♥ =) ♥
Maestro

Good luck tech.you'll be fine. It'll be easier the more you practice. Driving in LA though, idk about that. I'd have a fear of driving if I lived there. You guys drive cray cray.

Old 10-11-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

LA has the worst drivers. Many of the accidents I've had to avoid, have happened in the 3 years that I lived in LA.

Especially in the Rain. People are fucking stupid and I guess they don't feel a wet road is any reason to want to slow down. Idiots.
Old 10-16-2013
Gunner

Send a message via MSN to GG_Drea Send a message via Yahoo to GG_Drea

^^ SJ when it snows here people forget what snow is and drive like morons so I hear ya there!

Tec let me know how your progress goes!! I know you can conqueror it!! Since I have had my vertigo/balance issues driving has been a huge challenge to me. Calming the anxiety has been the hardest part, but it is possible to forget about fears while driving just takes time and having to be on the road repeatedly.
Old 10-22-2013
Mocoso

I don't know about driving, I just don't really like cars personally, I used to get driven to places as a kid but I also kinda grew up on the bus and as a pedestrian, and I like it like that, I like public transportation and walking, and I don't like cars or car culture from my experiences as a pedestrian and I think it'd be nice to have more open spaces to walk instead of cars zooming everywhere, more buses and trains, that's me. After not having a reliable car for the longest time my family may very well have one now, so far ive been in it once and i don't think ill be in it very many times unless I have to.
Old 12-18-2013
The one and only
Presidente

An update on this is I passed my driver's license today... barely... LOL.

Woman who passed me didn't seem to happy that I passed. She didn't use the word pass when she spoke to me. LOL.

Old 12-22-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
An update on this is I passed my driver's license today... barely... LOL.

Woman who passed me didn't seem to happy that I passed. She didn't use the word pass when she spoke to me. LOL.
Awwwww Tec! Congrats you did it