Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Rants & Raves

Rants & Raves Got something to rant about. Post about it here.

Old 04-06-2013
Mocoso

Default Why does it seem

Everyone wishes to use Mexico as a blank slate to project onto? I'll explain: since we're living in an information age, and access to the histories, cultures, demographics, etc of various foreign countries is at our fingertips, it seems more and more Americans are finding their 'place' in Mexico. Well, you often hear of black Americans over-emphasizing Mexico's African heritage, some even going so far to say every Mexican has a little bit of African blood, therefore by the one drop rule, making every Mexican 'black' (this excludes those cooky afrocentrists). The bottom line is these types must constantly remind everyone else of the Afro-Mexican diaspora, in an OCD manner, almost.

Then there are whites, who never miss a chance to remind everyone, 'Mexican is not a race' while bringing up the few European descendants, as if their presence somehow negates the overwhelming indigenous heritage of Mexico. I've noticed a few 'white' Mexicans also never miss a chance to remind everyone that they have roots in Spain, France, Italy, Germany, and hate being lumped in with the others. After all, that's shameful, right?

Asian-Americans aren't nearly so bad, but when the discussion comes up, I've seen Filipinos fervently take credit for introducing several fruits, clothing, and drinks. A few Chinese-Americans are aware of the Chinese presence in northern Mexico and how some of the first merchants and settlers migrated there. Some of the more radical ones propose theories of Asians landing in Mexico centuries before Europeans, or the indigenous being something like 'little brothers' or 'cousins' to East Asians, in a slightly paternalistic tone.

Long story short, it seems various Americans are 'finding themselves' in Mexico. Obviously, since most Mexican-American populations reside in the US, and I'm currently living here, I have little to compare to. Of course I'm going to learn about and give credit to Mexican influence on American history and culture, especially in the southwest, but that's different. I have no problem acknowledging Mexico's diversity, it's just when outsiders single out one group's heritage at the expense of the rest, holding it above the others, almost, while ignoring the others. It's annoying, and more so when they repeat it to a Mexican-American who is already aware of these tidbits of information.

Maybe it's the fact that the US is so hung up on race and ethnicity, very divided and clear-cut, compared to many nations in Latin America. I see Mexico as one giant collage, not as a checker board or a cookie cutting sheet. You also never hear of a Mexican identifying themselves as '1/2 Spanish, 1/4 Yaqui, 1/8 black, 1/8 Jewish', and not just because that's one strange mix. You hear terms like jalisciense, instead.

I'm reminded of vultures, each one claiming a piece of the carcass for themselves. Well, a dead cow isn't called 'one black spot', 'a horn', 'three legs', but a dead cow. An actual, living creature, every body part working together for the animal to survive. Still, I'm not sure why this whole thing gets to me so much... it almost feels like outsiders are trying to define the Mexican identity, our identity, while taking credit for something they, as individuals, had no part in.

Mexico and Mexicans are complex enough, without extra drama from various groups in the US trying to leave their mark. I'd call these direct assaults, but rushing to judgment has never done me much good in the past, and I'd rather get other opinions before going near there. So let's hear it.
Old 04-06-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Why does it seem

Mexico is the "garden of eden" in the Americas. Where most of the produce comes from and etc...

As our population grows in the United States and further influencing the fate of this country people, people will try to claim that our population is great bc of their "race" rather than the obvious.

History of Mexico is very complex everyone wanting to get credit when it was the indigenous population that did most of the hard labor.

The one group of people who don't feel like claiming anything is the natives in the united states even though many natives went to Mexico as servants/slaves or left the US bc the united states wants to exterminate them.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 04-08-2013
Mocoso

Default Re: Why does it seem

Couldn't it be considered racism in extreme cases, though? Take for instance some of the more militant afrocentrists, who imply Mexico's indigenous civilizations would not have been possible without so-called Egyptian-Olmec travelers introducing what they call pyramid building, numerical systems, language, etc. The idea that the indigenous peoples of the Americas were completely incapable of building such complex and advanced civilizations without outside help says they were inferior, incapable, and backwards.

And yeah, if you go to sites like stormfront, you'll see whackjobs trying to say the first natives were white, or Asian.

I guess we should be flattered they find our heritage worthy of praise? At the same time, I couldn't sit back while someone takes it upon themselves as an authority of all things Mexican, while spreading false information and giving others the wrong idea.

When you have scholars, journalists, and other authorities researching and educating others on Mexico, it's not such a bad thing in itself, provided they have a neutral and accurate message. I just hope it never gets to the point that the voices of Mexicans and Mexican-Americans are drowned out in the chaos.

With that aside, I like the idea of Day of the Dead art going mainstream, Mexican fusion, and holidays from south of the border becoming more popular in the States than they are in Mexico. It seems with each wave of immigrants, an extra something gets pulled inside the greater American culture and assimilated. The exchange between the US and Mexico has never been one-sided... it's almost like one is the reflection of the other, depending on which side you're on.