Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Rants & Raves

Rants & Raves Got something to rant about. Post about it here.

Old 03-01-2013
Veterano

Default Re: I want to know what men are made of

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
I am very much against women claiming rape when it did not happen. It makes the rest of us lose credibility when true rape has in fact occurred.

There was a time in the world of liberal academia that it was sacrilege to even suggest that a woman could lie about being raped.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 03-01-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
There was a time in the world of liberal academia that it was sacrilege to even suggest that a woman could lie about being raped.
there was also a time period when white women were claiming rape against the newly freed slaves and many black men were put to death without a fair trial

Old 03-01-2013
Veterano

Sure, but I'm talking about a short time ago. Like when I was your age

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 03-01-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:
Sure, but I'm talking about a short time ago. Like when I was your age
Yeah, and it wasn't necessarily a bad thing, there have been many cases in my university campus where women have reported rape to the police department, only to be blamed for the action that took place.

Old 03-01-2013
Veterano

I'm not arguing for the other extreme, of not believing the victim.

I'm sure the vast majority of reports are definitely true, but its just not intelligent to believe in absolutes, just because it doesn't suit the agenda of the group you're in support of.
There are a lot of broken people out there. Many of whom happen to be women, who will lie their crazy asses off to make a quick buck or just to ruin a guys reputation. There are also women molestering kids, pimping their daughters out, and blaming the women, who get raped.

I once had a sociology instructor who showed us a video about how low income,black and latino boys (pretty sure it was in NY) were being left behind and having a harder time in during their primary school years.
During the discussion at the end of the class, the instructor just kind of said something along the lines of "hopefully these boys are helped and I'm sure they will be, since they're male. And Rich white males run the world".
She pretty much just regurgitated some pseudo-feminist rhetoric and left it at that. Not realizing that these rich white males also need a steady supply of low wage laborers and prison inmates.
This is an example of stats preventing people from asking themselves probing questions or really thinking about a subject. Like when they bust out the pie charts showing that women are make this much less than men in the same profession.
It makes it seem like being a man is all gravy, and we're all just laughing our way to the bank (by ourselves of course, because we're men) when thats not the reality of it.
Thats whats wrong with the world of academia, its an insular world where the instructors don't really have a lot of "real" world experiences and they're programming a new generation of "educated" people to go out in the world and compartmentalize the world into these neat little boxes, with smart sounding names.
Not really promoting intelligent thought, but simply a different kind of dogmatic thinking.

Old 03-01-2013
Director

Quote:
Yeah I agree, which is why I said that that could be true, yet if that were the case then the answer should have been addressed differently, as in "I don't think you should go, because there will be a lot of horny boys that may try to take advantage of you, or you may feel it easy to have sex in such an environment." Rather than "no you cannot travel unless a man accompanies you."
That would shift the attention of why she wasn't let go, to how was she told why she wasn't let go. And that just leads us into the issue of communication between parent and child... which is a whole other issue among different cultures.

In any case, a simple "mu'fu'ka cause I said so" should suffice

Last edited by CaliPac; 03-01-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
I know what "victim blaming" is.

Saying that we should teach men not to rape is really a moot point. Of course we should, but the fact is, it happens. And the targets are usually women.

Just like people who drive Bentley's have to worry about car jackers. It's not "blaming the victim" to advise them to protect themselves from car jackers.
It's simply practical advice, in a world were these things happen and they're the usual targets.
It really doesnt do them any good to say "well, we should fix the social injustices and disparities in wealth so people don't feel the need to steal other peoples cars" when they're being stuffed into the trunk of their car.
A problem is focusing too much on "don't get raped" and giving this advice that you can follow and still get raped, and then if you don't follow it and it happens there is victim blaming, and some of it just supports rape myths.

Like don't dress "slutty", most offenders don't even remember what their victim was wearing and most rape is from romantic partners or family members or someone else that didn't just jump out at them from behind a bush for wearing a miniskirt. Things like these just serve to perpetrate myths and slutshaming and don't address the real problems.
Old 03-01-2013
Director

The girl says "Oh uh-uh, wait a minute! Wait a minute! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a whore!"

Which is true. Gentlemen, that is true. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they are a certain way. Don't ever forget it. But ladies, you must understand that is fucking confusing. It just is.

Now that would be like me, Dave Chappelle, the comedian, walking down the street in a cop uniform. Somebody might run up on me, saying, "Oh, thank God. Officer, help us! Come on. They're over here. Help us!" "Oh-hoh! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a police officer!"

See what I mean? All right, ladies, fine. You are not a whore. But you are wearing a whore's uniform.

Old 03-01-2013
Maestro

LMFAO @ calipacs example
Old 03-01-2013
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztec Princess
Could be true, but then this could open other discussions like do they not trust their upbringing of her? Do they not trust her? And is it only okay for men to enjoy sexuality and not women, if that is the case?
Thats kind of like believing the preachers daughter/catholic school girls are innocent, when they can be little sluts(not that I mind that in the least). Not that all are, but the stereo type comes from somewhere. I bet their parents trust their kids til they see it with their own eyes and even then, don't believe it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolarrow
There are a lot of broken people out there. Many of whom happen to be women, who will lie their crazy asses off to make a quick buck or just to ruin a guys reputation.
Not to mention those who do it to cover their own ass/reputation.

Back to the original question Calipac, said it best, she should just move out if she doesnt like it. Same for ANY ADULT who doesnt like having to ask permission. Has nothing to do with being an respectful in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2013
♥ =) ♥
Maestro

^"Cus it was too corny"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
Yeah, unless your ronda rousey, your pretty much fucked. Not always, but just the fact that you can't "take care" of yourself. That and you are chicks.

A guy who is willing to attack a woman, is willing to molest them. While a guy willing to attack another guy just may not like the way the other guy looks/carries himself. Its been that way for centuries really, things have changed to an extent, but motives havent.

Women can molest a guy, but it doesnt happen that often, or at the least it doesnt get reported.

There are probably plenty of men that will get attacked, they just may not be molested. You can always carry yourself as a badass and there will always be someone to test it.

Usually happens when the woman is older {I think}. It's a double standard indeed. Welcome to our culture .

My dad wouldn't let me go on a trip with just girls. He wouldn't think it'd be safe. Nothing I can do about it. His house, his rules.

Last edited by Nina; 03-06-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2013
Travieso

if you don't wanna get treated like slut simply don't dress like one and if you do prepare for the consequences now I am not saying rape or molestation is ok....just had to point that out for you that need to be real specific

And it's easier for women to become targets that men that just the simply truth specially with some many predators unless the woman is packing heat or has some type of black belt in martial arts or is a pro at wrestling or mma. Even then not saying for guys it's different but that why you got more human trafficking involving females than males

Last edited by GrimmStabnandez; 03-06-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-06-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
^"Cus it was too corny"

Usually happens when the woman is older {I think}. It's a double standard indeed. Welcome to our culture .

My dad wouldn't let me go on a trip with just girls. He wouldn't think it'd be safe. Nothing I can do about it. His house, his rules.
I guess I have been out of the house way too long, I am just used to doing what I want. I don't abuse that privilege, but I guess I am just used to planning trips and going out without having to make sure it's okay. I forgot what it is like, to live under someone else's rules that it completely threw me off. However, I may move back in, I bet that will be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmStabnandez View Post
if you don't wanna get treated like slut simply don't dress like one and if you do prepare for the consequences now I am not saying rape or molestation is ok....just had to point that out for you that need to be real specific

And it's easier for women to become targets that men that just the simply truth specially with some many predators unless the woman is packing heat or has some type of black belt in martial arts or is a pro at wrestling or mma. Even then not saying for guys it's different but that why you got more human trafficking involving females than males
I know, I know. It sucks that it has to be this way. I don't dress like a slut, I already attract attention as is, haha, jk just thought I would throw that out there. But I mean I just hate the message, "if you don't want to get treated like a slut don't dress like one." Why don't we just tell men, "don't treat women like sluts, shame on you if you do. And I don't care what she is dressed like."

Old 03-06-2013
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

It's not so much what women wear that leads people to treat them as "sluts," but rather the way she carries herself and the amount of respect she has for herself...a woman can dress sexy, have self respect and won't be treated as a "slut."
Old 03-06-2013
Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamberto Quintero View Post
It's not so much what women wear that leads people to treat them as "sluts," but rather the way she carries herself and the amount of respect she has for herself...a woman can dress sexy, have self respect and won't be treated as a "slut."
very true, yet not everyone respects. And when rape happens it usually doesn't even matter that you are wearing. Because it is not about that.

Old 03-07-2013
Veterano

I dont like the term 'slut'. used in a deragatory matter. Or really any term that shames a woman for being sexually adventurous. Where would the world be without these so called sluts? We'd be like the Amish. Fuck that.

Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

Quote:
very true, yet not everyone respects. And when rape happens it usually doesn't even matter that you are wearing. Because it is not about that.
I agree, rape has nothing to do with clothes.
Old 03-07-2013
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:
But I mean I just hate the message, "if you don't want to get treated like a slut don't dress like one." Why don't we just tell men, "don't treat women like sluts, shame on you if you do. And I don't care what she is dressed like."
True, but then you would have to teach women not to crave the attention so much. You have women who dress provocative and then get mad they get the attention from everyone. Course this isnt and shouldnt equate to rape, just throwing it out there.
Quote:
I dont like the term 'slut'. used in a deragatory matter. Or really any term that shames a woman for being sexually adventurous. Where would the world be without these so called sluts? We'd be like the Amish. Fuck that.
Concur.
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

Who has to teach women not to crave attention? It comes from her parents and upbringing...if she gets enough attention from mom and dad, she won't crave it elsewhere.
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

I just think that the parents are being parents. Maybe, with their daughter being away is a scary thought for them and the best way they knew how to communicate that was by making up a lame excuse for why she's not allowed to go. Most parents know what their children are and aren't capable of. Maybe it's more for their peace of mind that she doesn't go. It's natural that parents want to protect their children.

I'm positive that if your friend
REALLY wanted to go, she'd go. But perhaps respecting her parents
decision is far more important to her than a few days of letting her hair down.

She's young. She'll have plenty of time for moments like these.
Old 04-17-2013
Director

Quote:
So my friends and I are planning a Spring Break trip to South Padre (Texas's biggest Spring Break destination), and I invited one of my friends from back home to come. She is attending college back home and still lives with her parents. There is nothing wrong with that, yet due to that at 21 years of age, she still has to ask permission, nothing wrong with that either. Yet her parents said no on the basis that they don't think it is safe since we are only girls.

Anyway I want to know what men are made from that makes them indestructible and keeps them from being attacked. It is just so sexist. Yes I know it is South Padre and there are guys trying to get laid and trying to take advantage of drunk girls, yet it is group of us, we are not stupid, and we look out after each other. I just hate that mentality that a woman cannot go anywhere without a man. Anyway how do you feel about this? Do you agree with my friend's parents? With me? And have you experienced this yourself?
Spring Break in South Padre hmmm....

Quote:
The last time I was super drunk was during spring break in South Padre. My friends decided to just walk ahead and leave us, it was a LOOOONG walk to our hotel. So I kept calling my friend who happened to also be in the Island and kept asking him to give us a ride, and he kept saying he had no car, because he was there with his friend's parents. I kept insisting that he borrow their car (I so would not do that in real life). I don't know what other stuff I said. We ended up catching a taxi, and I only remember half the way home
Con razon no la dejaron ir
Old 04-17-2013
Maestro

Oh Lord Jesus I am just going to deletethis thread

Old 04-17-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Old 04-17-2013
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliPac View Post
Spring Break in South Padre hmmm....

Con razon no la dejaron ir

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 04-17-2013
Veterano