Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy

Pregnancy Discussions with others who are pregnant or planning on a pregnancy about issues such as what to expect and what to do. Pregnancy resources and information.

Old 02-04-2013
Veterano

Default Re: Friend thinks she might be pregnant, HELP

Looking at stats and numbers make my eyes glaze over.

Whats the conclusion academics have reached based on these stats? We're the least educated about sex in this country? Is it our oppressive, puritan culture? Is it the preaching of abstinence over safe sex? Are affluent women getting knocked up just as much, but having the means and willingness to have abortions compared to "poor" women?

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 02-04-2013
♥ =) ♥
Maestro

Not to mention STIs. Honestly at this point in my life, I am more petrified of getting an STI than getting pregnant (I'm petrified of both, but one more than the other).

Have her wait until the last day of her missed period to take a home pregnancy test and tell her to take it in the morning (as morning urine is the most concentrated and proves for the best results). If it comes out negative and her period still doesn't come then have her take another pregnancy test two weeks after the first one.

Honestly, because she it sounds like she is taking a lot of medication that could be interfering with her menstrual cycle. Tell her not to stress to much about it because stress does delay your period trust me.

I'd tell your friends not to engage in any sexual activity until they know the facts about STIs, condom usage and pregnancy.

She can always contact a nurse at her local free/reduced health clinic if she has anymore questions. There's not much more we can tell her than to take a home pregnancy test. Again, her medical treatments can be interfering with her menstrual cycle...we wouldn't be able to know that for sure though.
Old 02-04-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
Looking at stats and numbers make my eyes glaze over.

Whats the conclusion academics have reached based on these stats? We're the least educated about sex in this country? Is it our oppressive, puritan culture? Is it the preaching of abstinence over safe sex? Are affluent women getting knocked up just as much, but having the means and willingness to have abortions compared to "poor" women?
Those are very good, yet hard to answer questions. I posted a few highlights because interpreting and reading stats is also time consuming for me. Affluent women do not have pregnancy rates similar to those of low-income women (24/1000 vs 107/1000) so about 5 times less often.

It is a combination of various factors, we do have a low education of sex, I read in some article that I cannot remember that in other countries by age 10 or so 100% of the kids know what sex is, which is not the case for the USA, wish I had that article though.

When Bush was in office, abstinence only sex education got a lot of funding while comprehensive sex education did not so therefore that is also a factor on the teen pregnancy rate. It is simply not effective. There is a whole book that I gave up on reading that compared abstinence programs vs comprehensive sex curriculum. The title of that is: The Sex Education Debates by Nancy Kendall in case you are interested.

Old 02-04-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
I would say also to knock catholicism out of these kids too. I met many catholic girls in my teens who saw condoms as a sin (yes, they have tons of kids now.).

I meant to get to this comment earlier.
I am Catholic and yes I was taught to believe that condoms are a sin, which I always thought was ridiculous. I mean my body expels an egg once a month, so should I have sperm there so my egg doesn't go to waste?
However, teens who get pregnant under this excuse are STUPID, I have heard girls say we didn't use a condom because it is against our religion, EXCUSE me but so is sex outside of marriage, and you didn't follow that expectation. So put the f*cking condom on. Sorry I am cursing, but that excuse makes me VERY upset.

On a deeper level, I believe that religion can contribute to the oppression of women especially in poor countries, because they teach them that every child is a gift of God, which I think it is true, however, I think it is also important to empower women to plan their families instead of tying them to the home. Many times extra children are a burden to an already struggling family.

Old 02-04-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
I meant to get to this comment earlier.
I am Catholic and yes I was taught to believe that condoms are a sin, which I always thought was ridiculous. I mean my body expels an egg once a month, so should I have sperm there so my egg doesn't go to waste?
However, teens who get pregnant under this excuse are STUPID, I have heard girls say we didn't use a condom because it is against our religion, EXCUSE me but so is sex outside of marriage, and you didn't follow that expectation. So put the f*cking condom on. Sorry I am cursing, but that excuse makes me VERY upset.
I think its as legitimate of an excuse as "I was too embarrassed to look it up on the Internet".
And what about the concept of a quincinera? I think telling 15 year old girls that they're now women (which they are of course, biologically speaking) is pretty much giving them license to start fucking.
I don't think its so much stupidity as much as just simple lust and desire trumping logical, critical thinking. Intelligent people can justify lots of things in their heads. They may think (or tell themselves) they're going to eventually marry their boyfriend, so it's not really pre-marital sex. They're just not legally able to be married yet, but God will understand.

Quote:
On a deeper level, I believe that religion can contribute to the oppression of women especially in poor countries, because they teach them that every child is a gift of God, which I think it is true, however, I think it is also important to empower women to plan their families instead of tying them to the home. Many times extra children are a burden to an already struggling family.
Perhaps their whole plan is to be a wife and mother though. So, why not get started ASAP?
It seems like a reasonable plan, especially if their own mothers/grandmothers/aunt/sisters all started having kids while they were teenagers.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 02-04-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by just tru View Post
What does being sick and having sex have to do with anything? It was pointed out in the original post....so I commented on it, for the sake of being on topic of what was originally posted.

I'm not saying that she should rule out having sex just because she is sick, or any "sick person" should rule it out, but what I am saying, in this particular matter, is that her health and well being is far more important than experimenting with sex, if she's experiencing kidney failure. But of course, in the end, it's her decision alone, to do what she wants. If she feels up to it...then more power to her. But she should really find time to get educated about sex.

Again, to the OP, I can empathize with what she must be going through as far as her illness. And I hope she gets better soon, so that she can fully enjoy all that life has for her.
She's been going through medical problems with her kidneys her whole life, she wasn't supposed to survive past 16

Anyway to address more questions and posts she's 19, don't know her boyfriend, think he's still in high school. She had condoms but he didn't know how to use them and they proceeded without them, which was reckless, but in this scare she certainly learned her lesson

Her pregnancy test came back negative so hoping it's not one of those rare cases of it being wrong it's all good, she came under duress when she was telling me about her first time and her missed period and her dream where she was pregnant and she didn't have any female friends she was willing to talk to about it so she had me ask on here, I thank you all for your contributions to this topic, on top of everything else she was just very worried about that and yeah... thanks
Old 02-04-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlanelolli View Post
She's been going through medical problems with her kidneys her whole life, she wasn't supposed to survive past 16

Anyway to address more questions and posts she's 19,
Thats actually a pretty late age to wait to have sex. But also, kind of old to be so naive about sex.

Old 02-04-2013
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

Quote:

Anyway to address more questions and posts she's 19, don't know her boyfriend, think he's still in high school. She had condoms but he didn't know how to use them and they proceeded without them, which was reckless, but in this scare she certainly learned her lesson
Well shit, i say living past your supposed expiration date is worth getting a little shagging. Glad she came out negative, now she just needs to make sure she takes the proper precautions if she has sex again.Hell, its good she has a condom, but she should look into birth control, IF she can take it, since she is on those other meds.
Old 02-04-2013
Maestro

Quote:
I think its as legitimate of an excuse as "I was too embarrassed to look it up on the Internet".
And what about the concept of a quincinera? I think telling 15 year old girls that they're now women (which they are of course, biologically speaking) is pretty much giving them license to start fucking.
I don't think its so much stupidity as much as just simple lust and desire trumping logical, critical thinking. Intelligent people can justify lots of things in their heads. They may think (or tell themselves) they're going to eventually marry their boyfriend, so it's not really pre-marital sex. They're just not legally able to be married yet, but God will understand.
Okay I agree lust and desire can trump logical thinking, but if the girl has a set plan and decision then it is a little harder to be caught by surprise.

I don't know if biologically a 15 year old counts as a women, I mean some girls have had their periods by that age, but not all. In addition their bodies are still developing, and mentally our brains continue to develop way into our 20's. So while some may be able to carry children I do not consider them women, but I may be wrong.

Quote:
Perhaps their whole plan is to be a wife and mother though. So, why not get started ASAP?
It seems like a reasonable plan, especially if their own mothers/grandmothers/aunt/sisters all started having kids while they were teenagers.
It is okay if a women legitimately wants to be a mother, there is nothing wrong with that, that is all my mother is and she is one of the admirable persons I know. However, when this is the only option a women has or when religion, education and culture trump her options then this is not acceptable. And while others had children at that age does not mean that one cannot break the pattern and do more for themselves.

Old 02-04-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
they teach them that every child is a gift of God, which I think it is true
I don't want to sound like an asshole on this, but if that was true, why so many bad people?

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 02-04-2013
Veterano

Quote:
I don't want to sound like an asshole on this, but if that was true, why so many bad people?
the devil! duh!

Old 02-04-2013
Travieso

Quote:
Also that might only work with religious people, what about atheists and agnostics?
Old 02-04-2013
Maestro

Quote:
because God is not the one raising the child. But I rather not get tangled in personal beliefs too much.

Old 02-07-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

I guess this will fit here.

http://youtu.be/cd46pXtMHOo

Old 02-07-2013
Maestro

Thanks for sharing, I will pass it on to my friends who are very involved in contraceptive use, and maybe I can also incorporate it in the sex curriculum I am helping design.

Old 02-07-2013
Maestro

http://sexetc.org/info-center/post/a...f-think-again/

Good easy to read article

Old 02-07-2013
♥ =) ♥
Maestro

Pregnancy scares, we all get em just once, don't lie.
Old 02-07-2013
Veterano

i've never had one

Old 02-07-2013
The one and only
Presidente

I think the scare is a woman thing.

Old 02-07-2013
Presidente

Its a man thing if your emotionally involved with the woman. Hell even if you arent and are a adult it is/should be. All they have to do is say your the daddy and child support get tossed on you til you have to PAY to prove take a maturity test.
Old 02-07-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
Its a man thing if your emotionally involved with the woman. Hell even if you arent and are a adult it is/should be. All they have to do is say your the daddy and child support get tossed on you til you have to PAY to prove take a maturity test.
Yeah I was concerned, and she's just my close friend

If Tecpa isn't concerned about anyone getting pregnant I wonder what that says about him
Old 02-07-2013
Presidente

Quote:
Yeah I was concerned, and she's just my close friend

If Tecpa isn't concerned about anyone getting pregnant I wonder what that says about him
That its 2013 and Tec still sucks?
Old 02-07-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
or go on Maury.

Old 02-07-2013
Mocoso

Quote:
or go on Maury.
The price may not be monetary but there still is one
Old 02-08-2013
♥ =) ♥
Maestro

Quote:
i've never had one
In order to have one, you have to have sex. So I'm not surprised.

Just Kidding KoolArrow...I couldn't resist.

Quote:
I think the scare is a woman thing.
You've never been the least freaked out when a woman told you? Tec!! I missed my period!

Quote:

^Exactly. I knew a guy who was living with a girl he thought he got pregnant. She had the baby and all and they lived together for a year or so. IDK, how it came about, but he ended up getting a paternity test and the baby turned out not to be his.