Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Rants & Raves

Rants & Raves Got something to rant about. Post about it here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #26  
Old 03-07-2008
Dissonant's Avatar
Dissonant Dissonant is offline
Gunner
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hibernation
Posts: 1,939
Default Re: Mayan 2012

does the Popol vuh mention 2012?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-07-2008
CaliPac's Avatar
CaliPac CaliPac is offline
Director
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,180
Default Re: Mayan 2012

i really dont think of it.. or see much about it too often... i'm still worrying about 08
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-10-2008
Dissonant's Avatar
Dissonant Dissonant is offline
Gunner
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hibernation
Posts: 1,939
Default Re: Mayan 2012

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...48613711060908
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-10-2008
mariposa's Avatar
mariposa mariposa is offline
you never know...
Veterano
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: no w here ♥
Posts: 11,481
Send a message via AIM to mariposa
Default Re: Mayan 2012

hmmm so can you explain to us tec what the real prophecy is...or what is supposed to happen in 2012?
__________________
Hold the person that you love closely if they're next to you
The one you love, not the person that'll simply have sex with you
Appreciate them to the fullest extent, and then beyond
'Cause you never really know what you got, until it's gone

_ IT
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-10-2008
La INdiTa's Avatar
La INdiTa La INdiTa is offline
Estudiante
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: an indin rez on Earth~*
Posts: 668
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
It's fun to see non Mexican people running like crazy. Just sad when our people in it.
I am so with you on this one TeC{Just sad when our people in it.}
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-10-2008
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizdlt View Post
hmmm so can you explain to us tec what the real prophecy is...or what is supposed to happen in 2012?
There are prophecies, but none for the whole 2012 that everyone is talking about. Nothing happening in 2012.
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-10-2008
Dissonant's Avatar
Dissonant Dissonant is offline
Gunner
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hibernation
Posts: 1,939
Default Re: Mayan 2012

What are the prophecies?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-10-2008
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonant View Post
What are the prophecies?
They're on one of the links in the first post.

Here is the link again:

http://members.shaw.ca/mjfinley/mainmaya.html
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-20-2008
Ralo El Dorado's Avatar
Ralo El Dorado Ralo El Dorado is offline
Veterano
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: iOcho Diesocho Putos!
Posts: 11,344
Unhappy For all those 2012 Mayan Prophecy believers out there, I have bad news.

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/05...msday-in-2012/

May 19th, 2008

No Doomsday in 2012


Written by Ian O'Neill

Apparently, the world is going to end on December 21st, 2012. Yes, you read correctly, in some way, shape or form, the Earth (or at least a large portion of humans on the planet) will cease to exist. Stop planning your careers, don't bother buying a house, and be sure to spend the last years of your life doing something you always wanted to do but never had the time. Now you have the time, four years of time, to enjoy yourselves before… the end.

So what is all this crazy talk? We've all heard these doomsday predictions before, we're still here, and the planet is still here, why is 2012 so important? Well, the Mayan calendar stops at the end of the year 2012, churning up all sorts of religious, scientific, astrological and historic reasons why this calendar foretells the end of life as we know it. The Mayan Prophecy is gaining strength and appears to be worrying people in all areas of society. Forget Nostradamus, forget the Y2K bug, forget the credit crunch, this event is predicted to be huge and many wholeheartedly believe this is going to happen for real.

For all those 2012 Mayan Prophecy believers out there, I have bad news. There is going to be no doomsday event in 2012, and here's why…

The extent of the Mayan empire

The Mayan Calendar
So what is the Mayan Calendar? The calendar was constructed by an advanced civilization called the Mayans around 250-900 AD. Evidence for the Maya empire stretches around most parts of the southern states of Mexico and reaches down to the current geological locations of Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador and some of Honduras. The people living in Mayan society exhibited very advanced written skills and had an amazing ability when constructing cities and urban planning. The Mayans are probably most famous for their pyramids and other intricate and grand buildings. The people of Maya had a huge impact on Central American culture, not just within their civilization, but with other indigenous populations in the region. Significant numbers of Mayans still live today, continuing their age-old traditions.

The Mayans used many different calendars and viewed time as a meshing of spiritual cycles. While the calendars had practical uses, such as social, agricultural, commercial and administrative tasks, there was a very heavy religious element. Each day had a patron spirit, signifying that each day had specific use. This contrasts greatly with our modern Gregorian calendar which primarily sets the administrative, social and economic dates.

Venus Express observation of Venus (ESA)

Most of the Mayan calendars were short. The Tzolk'in calendar lasted for 260 days and the Haab' approximated the solar year of 365 days. The Mayans then combined both the Tzolk'in and the Haab' to form the "Calendar Round", a cycle lasting 52 Haab's (around 52 years, or the approximate length of a generation). Within the Calendar Round were the trecena (13 day cycle) and the veintena (20 day cycle). Obviously, this system would only be of use when considering the 18,980 unique days over the course of 52 years. In addition to these systems, the Mayans also had the "Venus Cycle". Being keen and highly accurate astronomers they formed a calendar based on the location of Venus in the night sky. It's also possible they did the same with the other planets in the Solar System.

Using the Calendar Round is great if you simply wanted to remember the date of your birthday or significant religious periods, but what about recording history? There was no way to record a date older than 52 years.

The end of the Long Count = the end of the Earth?
The Mayans had a solution. Using an innovative method, they were able to expand on the 52 year Calendar Round. Up to this point, the Mayan Calendar may have sounded a little archaic - after all, it was possibly based on religious belief, the menstrual cycle, mathematical calculations using the numbers 13 and 20 as the base units and a heavy mix of astrological myth. The only principal correlation with the modern calendar is the Haab' that recognised there were 365 days in one solar year (it's not clear whether the Mayans accounted for leap years). The answer to a longer calendar could be found in the "Long Count", a calendar lasting 5126 years.

I'm personally very impressed with this dating system. For starters, it is numerically predictable and it can accurately pinpoint historical dates. However, it depends on a base unit of 20 (where modern calendars use a base unit of 10). So how does this work?

The base year for the Mayan Long Count starts at "0.0.0.0.0". Each zero goes from 0-19 and each represent a tally of Mayan days. So, for example, the first day in the Long Count is denoted as 0.0.0.0.1. On the 19th day we'll have 0.0.0.0.19, on the 20th day it goes up one level and we'll have 0.0.0.1.0. This count continues until 0.0.1.0.0 (about one year), 0.1.0.0.0 (about 20 years) and 1.0.0.0.0 (about 400 years). Therefore, if I pick an arbitrary date of 2.10.12.7.1, this represents the Mayan date of approximately 1012 years, 7 months and 1 day.

This is all very interesting, but what has this got to do with the end of the world? The Mayan Prophecy is wholly based on the assumption that something bad is going to happen when the Mayan Long Count calendar runs out. Experts are divided as to when the Long Count ends, but as the Maya used the numbers of 13 and 20 at the root of their numerical systems, the last day could occur on 13.0.0.0.0. When does this happen? Well, 13.0.0.0.0 represents 5126 years and the Long Count started on 0.0.0.0.0, which corresponds to the modern date of August 11th 3114 BC. Have you seen the problem yet? The Mayan Long Count ends 5126 years later on December 21st, 2012.

Doomsday
When something ends (even something as innocent as an ancient calendar), people seem to think up the most extreme possibilities for the end of civilization as we know it. A brief scan of the internet will pull up the most popular to some very weird ways that we will, with little logical thought, be wiped off the face of the planet. Archaeologists and mythologists on the other hand believe that the Mayans predicted an age of enlightenment when 13.0.0.0.0 comes around; there isn't actually much evidence to suggest doomsday will strike. If anything, the Mayans predict a religious miracle, not anything sinister.

Myths are abound and seem to be fuelling movie storylines. It looks like the new Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is even based around the Mayan myth that 13 crystal skulls can save humanity from certain doom. This myth says that if the 13 ancient skulls are not brought together at the right time, the Earth will be knocked off its axis. This might be a great plotline for blockbuster movies, but it also highlights the hype that can be stirred, lighting up religious, scientific and not-so-scientific ideas that the world is doomed.

Could an asteroid wipe out the Earth? (NASA)

Some of the most popular space-based threats to the Earth and mankind focus on meteorite impacts, black holes, Gamma Ray Bursts from nearby galaxies, a rapid ice age and a polar (magnetic) shift. There is so much evidence against these things happening in 2012, it's shocking just how much of a following they have generated. Each of the above "threats" needs their own devoted article as to why there is no hard evidence to support the hype.

But the fact remains, the Mayan Doomsday Prophecy is purely based on a calendar which we believe hasn't been designed to calculate dates beyond 2012. Mayan archaeo-astronomers are even in debate as to whether the Long Count is designed to be reset to 0.0.0.0.0 after 13.0.0.0.0, or whether the calendar simply continues to 20.0.0.0.0 (approximately 8000 AD) and then reset. As Karl Kruszelnicki brilliantly writes:

"…when a calendar comes to the end of a cycle, it just rolls over into the next cycle. In our Western society, every year 31 December is followed, not by the End of the World, but by 1 January. So 13.0.0.0.0 in the Mayan calendar will be followed by 0.0.0.0.1 - or good-ol' 22 December 2012, with only a few shopping days left to Christmas." - Excerpt from Dr Karl's "Great Moments in Science".

Sources: Dr Karl's Great Moments in Science, IHT, 2012 Wiki

Leading image credits: MIT (supernova simulation), WikiMedia (Mayan pyramid Chichen Itza). Effects and editing: myself.

Filed under: Earth
__________________
"We Had to Tear This Mothafucka Up!!!”
AnyMedia
Click here to download it.
Peltier's Beat Goes On
I pay taxes because those in law enforcement or the military industrial complex
depend on me to "Support the Police" & "Support The Troops"
or in other words to pay for their welfare and socialism benefits.

Last edited by Ralo El Dorado; 05-20-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-20-2008
D-TOWN D-TOWN is offline
Veterano
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: DALLAS TEXAS
Posts: 10,009
Default Re: For all those 2012 Mayan Prophecy believers out there, I have bad news.

i like this logic, it breaks all stereotypical myths and can be easily understood.. i never understood how the mayan calendar actually operated until now.
__________________
Lita's a MILF!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-20-2008
wheelsofsteel wheelsofsteel is offline
Maestro
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,378
Default Re: For all those 2012 Mayan Prophecy believers out there, I have bad news.

quit preaching, the end of the world is now.
there is no fact to know when to know when the inevitable will hapen, but just be ready......
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-21-2008
Jedi Master's Avatar
Jedi Master Jedi Master is offline
Maestro
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,340
Default Re: For all those 2012 Mayan Prophecy believers out there, I have bad news.

The Mayans do not believe it is the end of the world but a start of a new one. They do believe something big is to happen but it would not be the end of mankind.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-21-2008
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default

//Topic Merged

It's good and all. I was looking at the sources and one I don't like is 2012 wiki. Too many conspiracy theories.

Also, I think, not sure 100%, but I think they're off by a year in the Mayan Calendar thing if they're going by that bc they're trying to convert mayan to european and what I believe was there was a year between 1 BC and 1 AD. I think it's considered 0.
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 05-21-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-24-2008
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Bumping this.
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-28-2008
Motivated Missez's Avatar
Motivated Missez Motivated Missez is offline
Chicle
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: AZ
Posts: 99
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-28-2008
Ralo El Dorado's Avatar
Ralo El Dorado Ralo El Dorado is offline
Veterano
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: iOcho Diesocho Putos!
Posts: 11,344
Default Re: For all those 2012 Mayan Prophecy believers out there, I have bad news.

^ LMFAO that's hillarious!!!!
__________________
"We Had to Tear This Mothafucka Up!!!”
AnyMedia
Click here to download it.
Peltier's Beat Goes On
I pay taxes because those in law enforcement or the military industrial complex
depend on me to "Support the Police" & "Support The Troops"
or in other words to pay for their welfare and socialism benefits.

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 03-11-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-28-2008
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivated Missez View Post
I don't want to be rude, but the calendar in that image is "Aztec".
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-30-2008
Ralo El Dorado's Avatar
Ralo El Dorado Ralo El Dorado is offline
Veterano
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: iOcho Diesocho Putos!
Posts: 11,344
Default Re: Mayan 2012

^ what does the Mayan calendar look like?
__________________
"We Had to Tear This Mothafucka Up!!!”
AnyMedia
Click here to download it.
Peltier's Beat Goes On
I pay taxes because those in law enforcement or the military industrial complex
depend on me to "Support the Police" & "Support The Troops"
or in other words to pay for their welfare and socialism benefits.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-22-2008
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Another article:

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/12/21/2012-no-comet

2012: No Comet

Written by Ian O'Neill

According to 2012 doomsday proponents, something big is out to get us. By "something big" I mean some uncontrollable cosmic entity (i.e. Planet X, Nibiru or a "killer" solar flare), and by "us" I mean the whole of planet Earth. Pinning 2012 doomsday scenarios on the end of the ancient Mayan "Long Count" calendar appears to be growing momentum amongst authors, websites, documentaries and (my personal favourite) YouTube videos. According to them, something bad is going to happen on or around December 21st 2012. Probably the most interesting difference between the 2012 doomsday scenario and the doomsday prophecies of the past is that almost every possible (and impossible… or implausible) harbinger of doom is being suggested as a planet killer.
So, in this sixth article addressing another astronomical doomsday scenario, I will look at the theory that there is a comet currently out there in deep space, slowly making its final approach on its parabolic orbit toward Earth. But before you get worried, you'll be glad to hear that the 2012 cometary impact theory is as watertight as a teabag; there is no object observed out there and there is certainly no evidence to suggest there could be a comet impact in 2012… and here's why

Marketing Doomsday
In four years today (December 21st 2012), the world will be coming to an end according to a few misguided individuals. Doomsayers always begin their arguments using an ancient calendar (plus a heavy dose of Bible Codes, I Ching and ancient Sumerian cuneiform scriptures) to support their new and inventive way the world may end. Alas, most doomsday theories are based on over-hyped scientific misinterpretation and outright lies. Usually there is a book to sell or website to promote. After all, there is nothing more profitable than fear.
Interestingly, I started writing for the Universe Today a year ago today, exactly five years before the end of the Mayan Long Count calendar. Don't go reading too much into this little fact, pure coincidence, but I think it would be fitting to write the sixth in my series of 2012 articles exposing the myths surrounding this date.
You've probably seen the prolific ads for the "2012 Comet" across a range of websites, so I decided to delve into this particular theory to see if there is any truth behind the claims that a comet (or "comet planet") is approaching Earth on a collision course. To cut a long story short, I can categorically say that no cometary impact is imminent. Any accusations of government cover-ups are to hide the poor science doomsayers are citing (much like the Planet X/Nibiru connection). If you want the long story, read on…

The Comet Threat
Before we look at the claims behind this doomsday scenario, we must first study Earth's risk of actually being hit by a comet. We know we've been hit by comets in the past, and we will most definitely be hit by more in the future, but the coast is clear for at least a few decades from a marauding comet or asteroid. In fact, meteoroids in the form of chunks of rock are far more numerous than icy comets, and we are hit by several sizeable rocky meteoroids throughout the year (take 2008 TC3, the first predicted meteoroid atmospheric impact, for example). Although rare, planetary impacts by comets do happen. As Shoemaker-Levy 9 showed us in 1994 when 2km-wide fragments of the comet bombarded the Jovian atmosphere, we mustn't be complacent when considering a large impact event by comets or asteroids. The dazzling light show by Shoemaker-Levy 9 actually stimulated efforts to increase sky surveys for a possibly catastrophic impact event. Although a vast number of near-Earth objects (NEOs) have been identified, a very small number are considered to be a risk.

The 270 meter-wide asteroid 99942 Apophis caused a stir in 2006 when it became the highest ranking asteroid on the Torino impact hazard scale. Apophis is now expected to glide safely past the Earth in 2029, but depending on the gravitational deflection caused by Earth in 2029, Apophis could pass through a gravitational "keyhole", creating another impact possibility on April 13th, 2036. Still, the odds are not worth betting on; would you put money on a 1 in 45,000 chance of an Apophis 2036 impact?
There are other lumps of rock out there, but most are benign, and certainly not a threat to everyday life in 2012. However, we must be aware that asteroids are a very real future threat to humanity. As a result of this increased awareness, other NEOs have been discovered and tracked. Objects such as 2007 VK184, a 130 meter-wide asteroid may cause problems in the distant future, but the probability of impact is still extremely low. Astronomers from the Catalina Sky Survey estimate a few possible impact dates for 2007 VK184, but the odds never exceed a 0.037% chance of hitting Earth in the next 100 years. Other asteroids are currently being tracked and they may cause some concern over a century from now (although none surpass a Torino scale of Level 1, and if they do, all tend to fall back to the "normal" Level 0).
In short, the skies are clear from any imminent (certainly within the next 4 years) impact from an asteroid. Comets do not feature as a significant risk either. There is no astronomical evidence supporting otherwise.
This doesn't stop organizations such as ex-NASA astronaut Rusty Schweickart's B612 Foundation from planning for possible future asteroid/comet threats. While Hollywood movies would have us believe blowing a comet up with a nuclear bomb will be a very good idea, the B612 Foundation disagrees. In fact, it could be a very bad idea. The key thing to remember when reading about NEO surveys or asteroid/comet deflection techniques is that we need a lot of lead time to stand any hope of deflecting a possible catastrophic impact event. This does not indicate a concern in the near future, it is simply a prudent precaution to safeguard the distant future of our planet.

The 2012 Comet-Google Conspiracy
So, it looks like we are safe from any astronomical impact. That's not to say we won't be hit by a small meteoroid, large fireballs occur regularly (remember the November 21st Canada bolide, and the most recent December 6th Colorado fireball, the largest of which was possibly caused by a 10-tonne rocky meteoroid). Also, this is not to say we won't discover more NEOs within the next four years (we could spot a threatening object tomorrow for all we know), but the point is that there is absolutely no evidence for any civilization-ending comet impact in 2012. Any claims to the contrary are completely false. So why are we seeing ads touting the "2012 Comet" theory? As far as I can tell, it is based on one very flimsy piece of evidence. So, lets load up Google Earth to see where the problem is…
If you have Google Earth installed on your computer, you have the ability to look "up" rather than just down at the Earth's surface. Switching the software to the night sky allows you to see the constellations and will guide you and a dazzling tour of the observable Universe. Despite this overload of information, is Google hiding something? Is the huge search-engine based company actively trying to hide observations of a comet from us?

Guide Google Earth to RA:5h 54m 00s, Dec: -6° 00' 00" and zoom in. If you don't have Google Earth, this region can also be found in the online version of Google Sky. You'll see an ominous rectangular void (a.k.a. the "Google Anomaly" in the images above) right next to the Orion Nebula, south of Orion's Belt.
Note: The Constellation of Orion and therefore the "Google Anomaly" is in a very conspicuous location of the night sky, observable from northern and southern hemispheres.
This void is only apparent in the optical data; if you switch the data set to the microwave survey carried out by the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP), you'll find the void is replaced by data. Also, infrared data covers the region pretty nicely.
Note: This infrared view of the sky was observed by the Infrared Astronomical Satellite (IRAS).
So, the theory is that Google is hiding observations of an incoming comet. But there is an added twist to the comet conspiracy theory; the comet is also referred to as a "comet planet" and therefore a Planet X candidate (but I thought Planet X was a brown dwarf candidate?). Yes, Planet X seems to be at the root of all doomsday scenarios.
I'll try to make this as quick as possible:

1) IRAS Data
The Infrared Astronomical Satellite (IRAS) was an orbiting telescope that lasted for 10 months in 1983. It performed an infrared survey of the entire sky, churning up some fantastic observations of ultra-luminous young galaxies and intergalactic "cirrus". However, before these objects were formally identified, the media (in particular the Washington Post) hinted heavily that some of these objects could be the fabled "Planet X" in the outskirts of our Solar System. This is one of the key theories doomsayers cite as fact that Planet X exists. Using dubious logic, several authors claim these early observations prove that Planet X is in fact the Sumerian planet "Nibiru". Nibiru is therefore a brown dwarf. In this theory, death and destruction quickly follows, including the appearance of an alien race called the Annunaki (our alien ancestors) who want their planet back. Wonderful science fiction, with no roots in science fact. So, is this "2012 comet" actually Planet X? If it is (disregarding the obvious fact that a comet is not a planet, let alone a brown dwarf), why is the Google Anomaly only a void patch in optical data? If Google and NASA were trying to hide evidence of a "comet" (by removing a region of optical data), surely they'd remove the IRAS data too? In any case, the IRAS data shows no object within the anomaly. Besides, why would Google leave a very obvious patch of missing optical data, when they could have just airbrushed the object from the dataset?
In conclusion, the Google Anomaly is in fact missing data, pure and simple. There's no comet there, and simply because there is missing data does not prove the existence of anything sinister.
2) Just Look Up
Just in case you needed a little more convincing that the 2012 comet/Planet X theory was complete bunkum, think about the location of this proposed comet. The Google Anomaly is in full view for most of the planet throughout the year as it is in the constellation of Orion, right in the neighbourhood of some of the most famous, and well-studied stars and nebulae (the Horsehead Nebula and the Great Orion Nebula for example). If anyone looks at the Google Anomaly with suspicion, why not look straight up and see for yourself? Amateur astronomers have access to very advanced optics, so I think that if there was a suspect "comet planet" in the region, it would have been spotted by now (without Google's help).

In Conclusion
The truth is that the Planet X conspiracy theory is wrong, but the 2012 comet theory is even worse. The chances of a large planet swinging through the inner solar system in 2012 has the same odds as a comet impact on that date: nil.
We cannot predict the future, and no ancient prophecy will prove the existence of a modern astronomical "end of the world" scenario. I am sure 2012 will be a significant year for spiritual and religious reasons, I'm not debating that. However, for doomsayers to use modern science to prove their inaccurate doomsday creations for personal gain is not only irresponsible, it can be very damaging.
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-06-2009
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Mayan 2012

I was going to write an article, but found these two that pretty accurate. The second link, there's bits & pieces that I disagree with, but that's another day:

http://www.mexicolore.co.uk/index.ph...id=391&typ=reg

http://www.famsi.org/research/vanstone/2012/faq.html
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-09-2009
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Another article:

http://sciencedude.freedomblogging.c...ts-says/21153/

Will the world end in 2012? An O.C. experts says …

March 7th, 2009, 7:42 pm · 96 Comments · posted by Gary Robbins, science writer-editor

Copy of ad that's widely appearing on the Internet.

If you’ve spent any time surfing the Web lately, you probably noticed ”stories” and ads that say that life on Earth will end in December 2012. The stories are usually accompanied by a small image that shows a comet bearing down on Earth, and links to various cultural and biblical claims, few which seem to involve any sort of fact or reason. There’s also a major Hollywood movie coming out in November titled, “2012,” which has created additional buzz.
We sought insight from Brian Dunning of Newport Beach, who produces Skeptoid, a highly respected podcast that skewers pseudoscience. Click here to listen to it. We recently discussed the hub-bub with Brian, who offered some very straight forward answers.
Q: I’ve been seeing growing claims and chatter on the web that claim that Earth will be destroyed by a comet in 2012. Some of the talk refers to the “Bible Codes” reference to the comet. Is this some urban myth that run amuck online?
Brian Dunning, producer of the "Skeptoid" podcast.

A: In short, yes. So-called “Bible Codes” are actually simple codes called Equidistant Letter Spacing, which have been used for centuries. With some elbow grease (or any of a number of shareware software programs widely available online), virtually any phrase you want can be found in virtually any large body of text. I’ve done this myself using a $70 program called CodeFinder. I can probably find some variation of ‘2012 comet’ (or any other phrase you like) in any large book-sized text file in 5 minutes. Find that phrase in a Bible or Torah text file, and it’s easy to convince people that you have some divine prediction. Just don’t tell them that the opposite of that phrase is probably also found in the same place.
Q: I’ve seen other online claims that the Mayan calendar ends on Dec. 21 2012. Is that true? And if it is, why would the calendar end of that specific date?
A: It merely rolls over to the new year on that date in the same way that every calendar does. Of the many different calendars of varying lengths in use thorughout the ancient world, three were Mayan. The best known is their ‘long count’ calendar, which is 144,000 days days long. That long year was called b’akt’un. On our date December 21, 2012, the next b’ak’tun will start, as has been happening every 144,000 days since the dawn of Mayan culture. There is no archeological or historical evidence to suggest that the Mayans themselves expected anything to happen at the end of each b’ak’tun. There are many other pre-Columbian calendars throughout Mesoamerica, none of which are any more or less important than the Mayan long count. These aslo roll over all the time, and so far none has coincided with a global apocalypse; and there’s no credible reason to think they should.
A: The website www.2012warning.com says, in part, “Planet X will be making its 3,600 year orbit around the sun, disturbing our solar system and planets in it, including Earth. Also at the time, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Earth and the sun will all be in exact galactic alignment, which hapens only every 25,800 years. This time, our solar system will end up on the underneath part of the Milky Way forever more. Adding insult to injury, the 11 year solar flare cycle is in 2012. This is real. The only one way to prepare — spiritually.
For starters, legitimate scientists say that Planet X doesn’t exist. Is the rest of this claim also pure fiction?
A: Pretty much, yes. The whole Planet X (aka Nibiru) myth is an old Internet hoax that had the Earth being destroyed in 2003. In fact, if you do a Google search for terms like ”Planet X” or “Nibiru” you’ll see that a lot of the results are leftover hoax warnings about the alleged 2003 event. Well, 2003 came and went without incident, as we know, and these same old hoary stories have been recycled and re-dated to coincide with the Mayan calendar hysteria.
As for the rest of those claims, they are simply scientific sounding nonsense, borrowing a few terms or numbers from legitimate science. The 25,800 year cycle mentioned in this period of timeis the time it takes for Earth’s axis to complete one wobble; but this is an ongoing rotation, it doesn’t have beginning or end points that signal catastrophe. The solar flar cycle does indeed complete in 2012 (though not in December), and the sun’s magnetic pole will reverse as it always has every 11 years. This is the sun’s normal behavior and is no more a cause for concern now than it has ever been.
Q: Sony Pictures has a movie coming out in November called “2012.” The plot involves the end of the Earth. There are also videos on YouTube in which actor Woody Harrelson portrays a guru, of sorts, who peddles the idea that the apocalypse will occur. Do you think most readers see this as simple entertainment?
A: I do a fair amount of informal polling, and I’ve found that most people have heard anecdotally that some vague astronomical or geological event is expected to happen in 2012, maybe an asteroid or an earthquake. I’ve also found that people are not very worried about it.
While it’s good that most people don’t seem to be too concerned, it’s not good that they tend to uncritically accept anecdotal claims from dubious sources, in spite of their implausibility, as scientific fact. The 2012 phenomenon is a great illustration of a much broader cultural phenomenon: That of too many people lacking adequate critical thinking skills to be able to make good, informed decisions. It may not be directly harmful to read a chain email and believe gross astronomical errors, but by the same logic, a seriously ill person might read an email and uncritically accept medical misinformation and turn to implausible alternative therapies in place of evidence-based treatement. So while the 2012 phenomenon might appear like merely fun entertainment on its surface, it’s indicative of a deeper, serious cancer in society.
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-09-2009
esmo's Avatar
esmo esmo is offline
Travieso
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I'm Lost in a system not made for me...
Posts: 373
Default Re: Mayan 2012

maybe i shud just drop out of college... i graduate after 1012 anyways... wat a waste of money
__________________
Right Now I'm Having Amnesia & Deja-Vu At The Same Time... I Think I've Forgotten This Before.

Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-09-2009
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmo View Post
maybe i shud just drop out of college... i graduate after 1012 anyways... wat a waste of money
I think you should read what I have posted. All of the articles that I posted are saying that the entire 2012 thing is bs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighter1 View Post
its a new time period,, the earth has like a bump in a axis thingamajig

so to speak.

The Meteor that barely missed the earth two days ago was an example of what can come as a example... people need to wake up...

the birthing pains are here.

A path of choice is given to mankind...

If people dont see things bad happen they scoff and snicker, if they read a book with a twist and a interesting hook
they get excited to act like they know something and been cheated.

theres more than one way to see things and sift through the politics and money that changes everything

with every governing body of money and power and control and politics there will be corruption and greed.

so, with that said... its up to individuals to be responsible to balance there skepticisms and misgivens.

new time period begins,,,

and an ending will come about , things are not right with the signs of the times...
and people can see it and know it..

kids killing their parents like lizzy borden, but on a more common thing, among women like haley and caleys moms... its

pretty obvious if one reads without trivial confusion, and turning it into a metaphor to believe.

Secrecy was for more than the benefit of keeping the laws.

they were for helping certain people safe from getting killed or killing others and themselves.

for not keeping the laws.

things were strict with those who were responsible and more in that time era an place created.
I don't understand what you're writing about. If you're the ones who believe in it, go to this thread:

http://www.soychicano.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3964
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 03-09-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-09-2009
Californio's Avatar
Californio Californio is offline
Director
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Posts: 6,700
Default Re: Mayan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
I think you should read what I have posted. All of the articles that I posted are saying that the entire 2012 thing is bs.
LMFAO. Of course its BS.
__________________
“Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.” - Plato

" What is past and cannot be prevented should not be grieved for" - American Indian Proverb

nighter1 debunks his own post

nighter1 cannot answer my question - OWNED.

nighter1's display of stupidity: Calls Black Taco's 'Racist'
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-14-2009
Ralo El Dorado's Avatar
Ralo El Dorado Ralo El Dorado is offline
Veterano
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: iOcho Diesocho Putos!
Posts: 11,344
Default Re: Mayan 2012

OBAMA 4
PRESIDENT
IN 2012!!!!
__________________
"We Had to Tear This Mothafucka Up!!!”
AnyMedia
Click here to download it.
Peltier's Beat Goes On
I pay taxes because those in law enforcement or the military industrial complex
depend on me to "Support the Police" & "Support The Troops"
or in other words to pay for their welfare and socialism benefits.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM.


All the comments are property of their posters. Images, logo, content and design are © copyright by SoyChicano.com. All Rights Reserved.