Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Life & Social Forum > Rants & Raves

Rants & Raves Got something to rant about. Post about it here.

Old 02-04-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Mayan 2012

Comment: Not sure about you, but I'm getting tired of the 2012 bs. Even though I have posted some things to disprove it (especially on soy), there's those idiots that still believe in it (doubt anyone reads what I post. LOL.).

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science...2_N.htm?csp=34

Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse?

By G. Jeffrey MacDonald, Special to USA TODAY
With humanity coming up fast on 2012, publishers are helping readers gear up and count down to this mysterious — some even call it apocalyptic — date that ancient Mayan societies were anticipating thousands of years ago.

Since November, at least three new books on 2012 have arrived in mainstream bookstores. A fourth is due this fall. Each arrives in the wake of the 2006 success of 2012: The Return of Quetzalcoatl, which has been selling thousands of copies a month since its release in May and counts more than 40,000 in print. The books also build on popular interest in the Maya, fueled in part by Mel Gibson's December 2006 film about Mayan civilization, Apocalpyto.

Authors disagree about what humankind should expect on Dec. 21, 2012, when the Maya's "Long Count" calendar marks the end of a 5,126-year era.

Journalist Lawrence Joseph forecasts widespread catastrophe in Apocalypse 2012: A Scientific Investigation Into Civilization's End. Spiritual healer Andrew Smith predicts a restoration of a "true balance between Divine Feminine and Masculine" in The Revolution of 2012: Vol. 1, The Preparation. In 2012, Daniel Pinchbeck anticipates a "change in the nature of consciousness," assisted by indigenous insights and psychedelic drug use.

The buildup to 2012 echoes excitement and fear expressed on the eve of the new millennium, popularly known as Y2K, though on a smaller scale, says Lynn Garrett, senior religion editor at Publishers Weekly. She says publishers seem to be courting readers who believe humanity is creating its own ecological disasters and desperately needs ancient indigenous wisdom.

"The convergence I see here is the apocalyptic expectations, if you will, along with the fact that the environment is in the front of many people's minds these days," Garrett says. "Part of the appeal of these earth religions is that notion that we need to reconnect with the Earth in order to save ourselves."

But scholars are bristling at attempts to link the ancient Maya with trends in contemporary spirituality. Maya civilization, known for advanced writing, mathematics and astronomy, flourished for centuries in Mesoamerica, especially between A.D. 300 and 900. Its Long Count calendar, which was discontinued under Spanish colonization, tracks more than 5,000 years, then resets at year zero.

"For the ancient Maya, it was a huge celebration to make it to the end of a whole cycle," says Sandra Noble, executive director of the Foundation for the Advancement of Mesoamerican Studies in Crystal River, Fla. To render Dec. 21, 2012, as a doomsday or moment of cosmic shifting, she says, is "a complete fabrication and a chance for a lot of people to cash in."

Part of the 2012 mystique stems from the stars. On the winter solstice in 2012, the sun will be aligned with the center of the Milky Way for the first time in about 26,000 years. This means that "whatever energy typically streams to Earth from the center of the Milky Way will indeed be disrupted on 12/21/12 at 11:11 p.m. Universal Time," Joseph writes.

But scholars doubt the ancient Maya extrapolated great meaning from anticipating the alignment — if they were even aware of what the configuration would be.

Astronomers generally agree that "it would be impossible the Maya themselves would have known that," says Susan Milbrath, a Maya archaeoastronomer and a curator at the Florida Museum of Natural History. What's more, she says, "we have no record or knowledge that they would think the world would come to an end at that point."

University of Florida anthropologist Susan Gillespie says the 2012 phenomenon comes "from media and from other people making use of the Maya past to fulfill agendas that are really their own."

More to read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Arg%C3%BCelles

Video:

http://www.spike.com/video/2806298?c...r&refsite=7063

A book that popularized the whole 2012 modern mythology was called The Mayan Prophecies which was written by Adrian Gilbert and Maurice Cotterell. In this book they try to prove that the year 2012 was going to have global cataclysm. They claim to get their information from the Dresden Codex and Books of Chilam Balam when really they got their information from occultist Edgar Cayce, the Atlantis myth, and Cotterell's theory of sun spot cycles.

Here's inform from the book:

http://www.knowledge.co.uk/xxx/cat/mayan

I was too lazy to read that book bc I know it's bs, but luckily for me, someone read it and explains it here:

http://edj.net/mc2012/mproph.htm

A good site which I recommend on reading true prophecies of the Mayan is here:

http://members.shaw.ca/mjfinley/mainmaya.html

You can also download a Mayan Calendar program here:

http://members.shaw.ca/mjfinley/Maya.htm

This program will show you that their calendar went beyond 2012.

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 02-04-2008
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_
Default Re: Mayan 2012

tec! summarize please and more people will read hjonestly..

[[ i do read some of your things sometimes]]

Old 02-04-2008
Veterano

i was just reading a 2012 website..
another doomsday filled bleak outlook. anything to make a quick buck
polar reversals and polar shifts have occurred like this before. and mankind was on this earth..
all planets have aligned with the center of the galxy many times over and we are still here.
i'm sick of hearing it all.
2012 just needs to come and go so we can live our lives again..
Old 02-04-2008
Estudiante

what comes after 2012?? 2030?2110? 2222?? it's just another way to get peopel to repent for their sins and ask to be saved and get eternal life etc etc etc

Old 02-04-2008
Director

Ohhh My Gosh....this Is Like So Not True. What About That One Day Cuando That One Movie "the Omen" Came Out Wasnt Something Suppose To Happen Then???
Old 02-04-2008
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to Wizdom

In a way I do hope some shit goes down. There are books and websites all over the place about 2012. Heck! even a couple of my friends have a site on how to prepare for ELE's and doomsday to include the Mayan calender and 2012. Like a jero opening a Mexican resteraunt and renaming the burrito a "wrap", anyone and everyone is cashing in on our culture anymore.
Old 02-04-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
tec! summarize please and more people will read hjonestly..

[[ i do read some of your things sometimes]]
To summarize it, the whole 2012 is just bs. LOL.

Old 02-04-2008
Estudiante

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldsancho

^^^^^ Does that mean I have to pay my credit cards off now?

CHIT!!!!

I told him "I don't know and i don't give a shit!"
Old 02-04-2008
Maestro

people dwell on these prophecies which i think is a waste a time. why dwell on the future, take everyday as it comes and expect the unexpected..

Last edited by wheelsofsteel; 02-04-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-07-2008
Veterano

Send a message via Yahoo to Mousiie

I hate when people get all hyped up about the "doomsday of 2012" without having a true understanding of what they are talking about. But I hate worse how even National Geographic and Discovery Channel mix up Mayan and Mexica cultures to "prove" it in their stories. I was watching National Geographic one time and they were talking about this and yet had the Mexica calendar all over their story.. Not to mention how they attempt to find obscure similarities between what they are trying to assert as the apocalypse with the bible and other eastern cultures and "prophets" and mix it with indigenous cultures and beliefs. And yet, many layman view these shows like these as credible.. ugh!
Old 02-07-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs mouse View Post
I hate when not only do people get all hyped up about the "doomsday of 2012" but how even National Geographic and Discovery Channel mix up Mayan and Mexica cultures to "prove" it in their stories. I was watching National Geographic one time and they were talking about this and yet had the Mexica calendar all over their story.. Not to mention how they attempt to find obscure similarities between what they are trying to assert as the apocalypse with the bible and other eastern cultures and "prophets" and mix it with indigenous cultures and beliefs. And yet, many layman view these shows like these as credible.. ugh!
Ok. I'm not the only one who notices it.

Old 02-07-2008
Veterano

lol.. no Tec.. not by a long shot.. Even my 5 year old spotted that right away when we watched the "documentary" He was like whaaaaaaat! LOL jeje Even he knows the difference between Maya and Mexica..
Old 02-07-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
lol.. no Tec.. not by a long shot.. jeje
Always feel like complaining to them on how inaccurate they are. Always feel like writing a paper, but I think it would be too long and have to spend over a dollar on postage. LOL.

Old 02-07-2008
Veterano

We could send them to back to kindergarten. They may just learn something..

Edit: I don't know if Semillas del Pueblo will take them tho, bunch of know-it-all white scientists might not be a good fit..

Last edited by Mousiie; 02-07-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-07-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
We could send them to back to kindergarten. They may just learn something..

Edit: I don't know if Semillas del Pueblo will take them tho..
Too old. LOL.

Old 02-10-2008
Veterano

*bump.
Old 02-10-2008
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-TOWN View Post
i was just reading a 2012 website..
another doomsday filled bleak outlook. anything to make a quick buck
polar reversals and polar shifts have occurred like this before. and mankind was on this earth..
all planets have aligned with the center of the galxy many times over and we are still here.
i'm sick of hearing it all.
2012 just needs to come and go so we can live our lives again..
oh God and you bumped it too... you can live your life now...and not wait for 2012.... you know you worry about this shit everyday...stop looking for reassurance....
Old 02-10-2008
Veterano

Old 02-10-2008
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
To summarize it, the whole 2012 is just bs. LOL.
why do you have to go and ruin the fun of watching people running around all scare-shitless?
Old 02-10-2008
Estudiante

Ha Ha Ha Ha, and another mother- *******-Ha!-The laughter can be heard coming from the halls of the Pentagon! It's simple really, the dominant culture will have all it's "theories" set in concrete,and NOBODY is valid in an argument against them-unless they were in the same debate clubs at the ivy-league universities. Everything went to hell with the subjugation of our peoples(minds).The moment that they convinced us (beatings)that our natural laws were inferior-well you know the rest of the hype-peace.
2012 BRINg It ON!!!!
Old 02-10-2008
Veterano

natural laws don't belong to anyone, maybe u mean primitive religious beliefs?
Old 02-10-2008
Estudiante

Natural laws that don't belong to anyone? Well, the last time I checked the laws that were natural to me weren't exactly claimed by all the others-so that being clear for me anyway-what's your objective? Primitive religious beliefs are probably not something very comfortable to lets say a person who beliefs that MODERN religious beliefs quash the latter? The difference amongst us humans is so vast that we might get "trapped" in the snares of the more dominant view or perhaps even in that certain idealism? Whatever the case Primitive is here and will probably never be wiped-out..ever.Some of us might view the subjugation of a group of peoples "something they had coming",and still others might argue that that something never should of come..go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicano831 View Post
natural laws don't belong to anyone, maybe u mean primitive religious beliefs?
Old 02-10-2008
Veterano

natural law
Main Entry: natural law Function:noun Date:15th century : a body of law or a specific principle held to be derived from nature and binding upon human society in the absence of or in addition to positive law

just like we do not own nature, laws based on nature do not belong to us or any subgroup of humanity. Environmental whackos are famous for believing that humanity has a great deal of control over the natural world (i.e. global warming). while this may for the short term appear to be true, the truth is mother nature always wins out, and you'll be wiped out just like the rest of mankind, myself included.
Old 02-10-2008
Estudiante

Good definition,and a great comeback! Environmental whackos..hmm the environment is something ancient and seriously natural. This being said,some of us aren't exactly all wacked-hoes-in fact some of us feel very strongly about how the Earth needs to be respected,but you're correct about one thing natural does beat man-made...and as for some of us getting wiped-out chances are you might get a chance at coming back as a rat...that's good in ancient Asian Natural Law. I like this observation. Especially when we seem compelled to throw the religion into the subject matter. The post touches on the 2012 hype,and how inevitably folks will cash in on it all-good for them too bad the Maya's/Aztecas aren't being credited? That's the real bitch. Oh-well another just another example of the dominant cultures' drive in strategical-economic/conglomerate strong-holds.In this group's case doesn't matter when how or if it's natural or not if there's cash to be got-go get it!-No PhD.requiered.
Old 02-12-2008
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicano831 View Post
why do you have to go and ruin the fun of watching people running around all scare-shitless?
It's fun to see non Mexican people running like crazy. Just sad when our people in it.