Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy

Pregnancy Discussions with others who are pregnant or planning on a pregnancy about issues such as what to expect and what to do. Pregnancy resources and information.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-09-2013
_aztec_princess_'s Avatar
_aztec_princess_ _aztec_princess_ is offline
Maestro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,445
Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_
Default Too young - Demasiado Joven

I just watched this video and really liked it, it is specifically tailored to the Latino community.
This 5 minute video is an informative, candid, emotionally hopeful, and uplifting look at teen pregnancy in the Latino community, as told by Latino teen parents. It shows how teen pregnancy is connected to other social issues and is a powerful discussion-starter.


link here: http://www.thenationalcampaign.org/l...ado_joven.aspx

What are your thoughts?
__________________
“If you want something you’ve never had,
you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.”
-Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-09-2013
KoolArrow's Avatar
KoolArrow KoolArrow is offline
Veterano
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West L.A/Las Vegas
Posts: 8,605
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

When is a good time for girls to get pregnant? And what are the supposed benefits of just having a high school diploma?
__________________
“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in
seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.”― Socrates

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-09-2013
Nelio's Avatar
Nelio Nelio is offline
Presidente
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,152
Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
It shows how teen pregnancy is connected to other social issues and is a powerful discussion-starter.
No, it really doesnt show how its connected to other social issues at all.

The video is informative and maybe emotional, but it kind of ends there. Its didnt address why they got pregnant, why they didnt do anything.

It didnt say if their mothers or friends had kids and then they still went on to do the SAME mistakes. To many times it is glorified when it shouldn't. And to sound heartless it should actually be a little shameful. Girls need to learn they shouldnt trust the guy and its okay to say no and its okay to make sure the guy uses protection.

I also dont get what good marriage is when your pregnant. It doesn't help anything, so that was useless information if you ask me. The better statistic is the one where the fathers arent in the lives of the kids.

It all comes down to education and family. My cousin who is the same age as my sister got knocked up when she was 16 or 17 maybe even 15. She got support. My sister graduated, got pregnant right after and was slightly shunned by my dads side really. It was just my mom and me and my brother who supported her. Now the family has kind of opened their eyes a bit but still. My cousins eldest girl she had at 15, got pregnant at 13 or 14. Her next eldest got pregnant right after she graduated.

My other cousin who her dad was always on her ass to do in school, got knocked up around 15 or 16 and she was his little angel and he looked down on us.
SO its a parenting issue as well, i say a dominant one. And its also a personal responsibility issue.
__________________
“When history calls your name, how will you answer?"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2013
KoolArrow's Avatar
KoolArrow KoolArrow is offline
Veterano
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West L.A/Las Vegas
Posts: 8,605
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

it doesnt seem like a problem to me. All some people ever want out of life is to have a large chuy family. What difference does it make if they start at 16 or 20? Its deemed 'too young' by patronizing white liberal academics. The biggest problem I see with teen pregnancies is how these beautiful young ladies are ruining their bodies with crack nipples, c section scars and stretch marks at such a young age. It just breaks my heart.
__________________
“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in
seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.”― Socrates

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2013
tecpaocelotl's Avatar
tecpaocelotl tecpaocelotl is offline
The one and only
Presidente
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cali
Posts: 27,690
Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

Watching the video, the first thing I would say is change the music.

As a culture, I think we as a people give more attention to things like these than education and a career.

Also, not much support or repetitive compliments which gives women less wanting to go to college.

I'm not saying to start a family is a bad thing, if that's your goal in life than I'm happy for you. For those who want a career and wanting to do more in life, I'm happier for you.

Even if people get married in their 20's, I known a lot of women thinking they got passed the basic obstacle of graduating high school and thinking their man will be there regardless and somehow their guy is someone who does no wrong. Many become divorce or the guy leaves after the first child is born.

If anything, I would tell women, have you really done your research, do you have goals, are you emotionally prepared and do you really know that one guy?
__________________
"Don't Demonstrate, Infiltrate! From within you can help those without." -Jorge Le Rand

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 04-09-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2013
niaV's Avatar
niaV niaV is offline
Mocoso
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 166
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

I'm not sure whether this issue ultimately boils down to ethnicity or class, since our culture is heavily male-dominated and family oriented, adding pressures to reproduce, while women from low SES households are less likely to be educated, be victims of sexual assault, find themselves supported by a man. I grew up lower middle class and saw this story repeated by every and any racial group growing up.

I will say that the majority of my cousins didn't have children until their late twenties, at least, and after completing school and having stable jobs. Compare that to my immigrant grandmother, who married and had her child first in her late teens. She barely had an education, and relied on my womanizing grandfather until the day she died.

On one hand, much of the births in the US are from immigrant - Hispanic, families. If our goal is to climb the social ladder and gain influence, though, this would hurt us more in the long run. Though, even with kids, I've seen Chicanas consistently outperform Chicanos in college, and there are plenty of statistics to back those experiences up, so education isn't a lost cause to young mothers by any means. It just becomes more difficult to obtain.

Possibly related, but those who grow up in sexually repressed environments sometimes go wild with freedom at the first chance they get.

I'm torn on the issue, honestly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2013
_aztec_princess_'s Avatar
_aztec_princess_ _aztec_princess_ is offline
Maestro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,445
Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
When is a good time for girls to get pregnant? And what are the supposed benefits of just having a high school diploma?
I don't think that girls should be getting pregnant at all.
And well there is not much benefit from just having a high school diploma, shit I feel like having just a bachelor's isn't as valuable either, BUT there is more benefit from having a high school diploma than from not having one at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
No, it really doesnt show how its connected to other social issues at all.
The little snippet that I posted weren't my own words, I copied and pasted the video description. It shows that pregnancy is connected to poverty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
The video is informative and maybe emotional, but it kind of ends there. Its didnt address why they got pregnant, why they didnt do anything.

It didnt say if their mothers or friends had kids and then they still went on to do the SAME mistakes. Too many times it is glorified when it shouldn't. And to sound heartless it should actually be a little shameful. Girls need to learn they shouldnt trust the guy and its okay to say no and its okay to make sure the guy uses protection.
I agree, I do not find pregnant teens cute or anything like that, I find older women who obviously have their shit together very cute, but not teenage girls. Also I agree, it should not be glorified, it sounds a bit heartless but being congratulated on a teenage pregnancy is ridiculous to me, like my friend said "anyone can open their legs, it takes a lot more not to or to be responsible about it".

[QUOTE=Nelio;1488382]I also dont get what good marriage is when your pregnant. It doesn't help anything, so that was useless information if you ask me. The better statistic is the one where the fathers arent in the lives of the kids. [QUOTE]

Marriage does help. Two incomes are a whole lot better than one. Children raised in a household with both parents are less likely to be considered high risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolArrow View Post
it doesnt seem like a problem to me. All some people ever want out of life is to have a large chuy family. What difference does it make if they start at 16 or 20? Its deemed 'too young' by patronizing white liberal academics.
Well it can make developmental difference, like the video said young mothers are more likely to give birth to an underweight baby. By 20 you most likely have at least a high school education, not by 16. Also if someone's goal in life is to have kids and raise a family that is great, but you should be able to provide for these kids. I imagine that it is hard to do that at 16.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Watching the video, the first thing I would say is change the music.

As a culture, I think we as a people give more attention to things like these than education and a career.

Also, not much support or repetitive compliments which gives women less wanting to go to college.

I'm not saying to start a family is a bad thing, if that's your goal in life than I'm happy for you. For those who want a career and wanting to do more in life, I'm happier for you.

Even if people get married in their 20's, I known a lot of women thinking they got passed the basic obstacle of graduating high school and thinking their man will be there regardless and somehow their guy is someone who does no wrong. Many become divorce or the guy leaves after the first child is born.

If anything, I would tell women, have you really done your research, do you have goals, are you emotionally prepared and do you really know that one guy?
I agree with this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niaV View Post
I'm not sure whether this issue ultimately boils down to ethnicity or class, since our culture is heavily male-dominated and family oriented, adding pressures to reproduce, while women from low SES households are less likely to be educated, be victims of sexual assault, find themselves supported by a man. I grew up lower middle class and saw this story repeated by every and any racial group growing up.

On one hand, much of the births in the US are from immigrant - Hispanic, families. If our goal is to climb the social ladder and gain influence, though, this would hurt us more in the long run. Though, even with kids, I've seen Chicanas consistently outperform Chicanos in college, and there are plenty of statistics to back those experiences up, so education isn't a lost cause to young mothers by any means. It just becomes more difficult to obtain.

Possibly related, but those who grow up in sexually repressed environments sometimes go wild with freedom at the first chance they get.

I'm torn on the issue, honestly.
I find your last statement (which I bolded) very interesting. A lot of my cousin's friends got pregnant at a young age, and they would say that they wanted to leave their parent's home because they didn't feel they had enough freedom, and living with their boyfriends would provide that. Of course it is backward thinking because once you have a baby you don't have any freedom.
__________________
“If you want something you’ve never had,
you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.”
-Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2013
KoolArrow's Avatar
KoolArrow KoolArrow is offline
Veterano
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: West L.A/Las Vegas
Posts: 8,605
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
BUT there is more benefit from having a high school diploma than from not having one at all. .
I have never seen that be the case, in real life.



Quote:
Originally Posted by _aztec_princess_ View Post
Well it can make developmental difference, like the video said young mothers are more likely to give birth to an underweight baby.
That part sounds like bullshit to me. Unless when you say "young" you mean 12 year olds. If its 16 year olds versus 22 year olds, I don't see why there would be a risk. Considering 16 yrs old a "child" is something we accept socially, but our biology doesnt seem to follow that same rule.
__________________
“The secret of happiness, you see, is not found in
seeking more, but in developing the capacity to enjoy less.”― Socrates

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-10-2013
Nelio's Avatar
Nelio Nelio is offline
Presidente
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,152
Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP
Marriage does help. Two incomes are a whole lot better than one. Children raised in a household with both parents are less likely to be considered high risk.
No, it really doesnt. Marriage doesnt equal stability, in the home or financially. AND , you dont have to be married to have 2 a income household. I just mean marriage isn't the "bee's knees". You can be in a relationship without getting married. You can raise a kid without being married. And a guy can be there for his kid without being married.

The statistics show that the fathers aren't around. But don't show how crazy the mother are/can be(of course not all of them, but they are out there).
__________________
“When history calls your name, how will you answer?"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-10-2013
_aztec_princess_'s Avatar
_aztec_princess_ _aztec_princess_ is offline
Maestro
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 3,445
Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_
Default Re: Too young - Demasiado Joven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
Of course two incomes are better than one..but what is "high risk"? How do you measure it? Each family culture is different. There is no amount of study or research that you can show me that will make me consider labeling any person "high risk". I don't agree with this because I was raised in a traditional "Hispanic" "nuclear" family and strong support system. My parents are going to have their 42nd year marriage anniversary this year and that did not make a difference. My oldest sister got married at 15.She has been with her husband for over 18 years. She has four children 23,21, 15 and 9 years old. The oldest ones have not gotten married or had children. They graduated high school, college as well. My sister was 15. I got married at 16 and had my first child at 17.I have had three children with three different men and that has not affected my children. I know some pretty fucked up kids out there with both parents and believe me, It seems like they don't have anyone at all. I don't consider my kids "high risk". They are all academically and socially well rounded. They still have alot of life to live, but as of now, they all have had steady friendships and most importantly me in their life.


I think communication is key. And each case is different. I need to see the video because I haven't yet. But i was following up on the thread and just wanted to give you my perspective.
Hello thanks! And I definitely agree it is all a case by case basis. My comment was not very well thought out. What I mean by high risk is at high risk of dropping out of school, of living in poverty, of getting involved with the law, of becoming a teen parent themselves. Of course coming from a single parent household alone does not mean that the child will experience these things. And just because a child comes from a household with two adults does not mean that the child is automatically free from risk. I am just repeating what statistics show and what I have seen in my own experience working with juvenile justice youth. My experience is VERY limited, but I dare say that what I have seen reflects the stats, not exact of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio View Post
No, it really doesnt. Marriage doesnt equal stability, in the home or financially. AND , you dont have to be married to have 2 a income household. I just mean marriage isn't the "bee's knees". You can be in a relationship without getting married. You can raise a kid without being married. And a guy can be there for his kid without being married.

The statistics show that the fathers aren't around. But don't show how crazy the mother are/can be(of course not all of them, but they are out there).
I guess I use the word marriage too loosely. When I say marriage, I personally mean two people raising a child together in the same household. The legal paper doesn't make too much of a difference to me. The couple can be legally married, married by church or only cohabitating. Marriage does not equal these things, no it does not. I can give you examples of households with two adults living in poverty, even when both work. Or I can give you an example of my professor who was a single mother and making plenty of money, more than the average for two working class adults combined. So yes point taken. However, I do believe that single mothers have it a bit rougher than women who are married (this does not include abusive relationships, alcoholic husbands etc). I am not saying a woman cannot be great all on her own, but I think that they are at a disadvantage.
__________________
“If you want something you’ve never had,
you must be willing to do something you’ve never done.”
-Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:36 AM.


All the comments are property of their posters. Images, logo, content and design are © copyright by SoyChicano.com. All Rights Reserved.