Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy

Pregnancy Discussions with others who are pregnant or planning on a pregnancy about issues such as what to expect and what to do. Pregnancy resources and information.

View Poll Results: Do you believe in abortion?
YES 2 5.71%
NO 17 48.57%
WHEN IT'S NECESSARY 16 45.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2008
LynneThomas

Default Re: AIDS and Pregnancy

I know a girl that is now in her early 20's and she was born with HIV... I hope that answers your question.

I'm also HIV+ and my daughter was born HIV- as I took the following precautions:

a) c-section
b) viral load undetectable - I was on a lot of meds
c) daughter on meds (AZT) for 6 weeks after birth
d) don't breast feed

There's actually a very small risk, like 2% or something like that, for the child to be born HIV+ if you do the above.
so these all are my opinion about Can a child be born with AIDS if mother has AIDS even before pregnancy.
Old 08-29-2008
Veterano

Oh wow .. that's really sad ..

If it has tires or testicles,
it's gonna give you problems
Old 08-29-2008
Chicle

In 2007, an estimated 1.5 million [1.2–1.8 million] pregnant women in low- and middle-income countries were living with HIV. Close to 90 per cent of all pregnant women living with HIV in low- and middle-income countries live in 20 countries, and 75 per cent are concentrated in 12 countries, which include South Africa, Nigeria, United Republic of Tanzania and Mozambique.

Preventing new HIV infections among women is critical not only for their own health but also to reduce future HIV infections among infants, especially in sub-Saharan Africa, where half the female population is of childbearing age. Each year, many children are newly infected with HIV, mainly through mother-to-child transmission. An overwhelming majority—more than 90 per cent—of HIV infections in infants and children are passed on by mothers during pregnancy, labour, delivery or breastfeeding. Without any intervention, between 15 per cent and 45 per cent of infants born to mothers living with HIV will become infected (5–10 per cent during pregnancy, 10–20 per cent during labour and delivery and 5–20 per cent through breastfeeding).

Approximately 50 per cent of infants infected with HIV from their mothers die before their second birthday. The transmission of HIV infection from mother to child can be sharply reduced if antiretrovirals are administered to a woman during pregnancy and delivery and to her infant shortly following its birth.

Reducing HIV transmission from a pregnant woman living with HIV to her infant requires a range of interventions beginning with voluntary and confidential counselling and testing for pregnant women; followed by antiretroviral prophylaxis for pregnant women with HIV and their newborn baby or antiretroviral therapy for the mother if eligible, safe delivery practices and guidance in selecting a suitable infant-feeding option in order to prevent mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV.
Old 07-30-2009
Estudiante

Send a message via MSN to Chica_Tejana Send a message via Yahoo to Chica_Tejana

if a mother has a c-section then theres a chance the baby will be born without aids. sometimes the child is just born HIV positive instead of with AIDS.
Old 07-30-2009
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Angelita

So ... what happened?

Go to sleep you crazy hooker.
Rated M for MILF <3
Old 07-30-2009
Maestro

One of my best friends had AIDS, she gave birth to a son who died of it at the age of 4 She died a couple of years later.