Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Education

Education A place where students of any grade or anyone doing research can ask for assistance or guidance. Working on a project... share your progress.

Old 08-25-2011
Prospect

Default Support Latino Research!

My name is Rodolfo Victoria and I am a first-generation Mexican-American who is enrolled in the Counseling Psychology doctoral program at Teachers College, Columbia University. One of the major requirements I have to complete before I can obtain my Ph.D. is a dissertation project. I am reaching out to the Hispanic & Latina/o community for support by filling out a survey that should only take about 15-30 minutes to complete. Here is the link to the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HQW5C39

In appreciation of the contribution of your time, all participants will be offered the opportunity to be enrolled in a raffle for a $25 Amazon.com gift certificate (please see the first page of the survey for full details).

This study is focused specifically on Latinas(os) so please consider taking this survey or forward the link below to Latina/o students, friends, co-workers, and family members. If you have a Facebook account I would greatly appreciate it if you could share the link to the survey. Lastly, I unfortunately did not have the resources at this time to translate the questionnaire to provide a Spanish version so please keep that in mind when forwarding the link.

Thank you for your help and support through this process.

Sincerely,
Rodolfo Victoria
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Clinical and Counseling Psychology
Teachers College, Columbia University
Horace Mann 4th floor
525 West 120th St.
New York, NY 10027
rv2166@columbia.edu

This study has been approved by Teachers College, Columbia University Institutional Review Board. Protocol # 11-188. If you have any complaints, questions, concerns, or would like to know the results, please feel free to contact me via e-mail at rv2166@columbia.edu. You may also contact my faculty sponsor, Dr. Robert Carter, at 212-678-3346 or via email at rtc10@columbia.edu.

Here is the link to the survey

Last edited by victoria106; 09-09-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-25-2011
Prospect

Default Re: Support Latino Research!

I totally understand, respect, and agree with what you're saying sweetnspicy79. So maybe I can start that process by sharing a little bit of who I am. I was born and raised in the East L.A. area (i.e., Maywood, Huntington Park, Cudahy, South Gate areas) and am the oldest of 6 kids. Both of my parents migrated from Mexico and that is something that has continued to fuel me in my education pursuits.

I am very much about giving back to my raza and community and that's really one of my motivating factors behind my dissertation. I've been studying Psychology now for about 11 years and it's clear to me that Chicano/a and Latino/a issues are "specialized" areas in this field. Although that's gotten better over the years there's still A LOT of issues in our community that are not getting raised.

Also in the spirit of "giving back", one of my career goals is to be a mentor to Chinano/a students in particular but also to all Students of Color. So if anyone here on the forum EVER has any questions about psychology or just general college questions please, PLEASE feel free to hit me up and I'll do the best I can to provide some guidance.

I hope this can be the beginning of me introducing myself to everyone here. I try to be as transparent as possible so please don't hesitate to approach me about anything.
Old 08-25-2011
Prospect

Yeah I hear what you're saying and I'm not even going to try and front and tell you that it doesn't happen. I haven't been the best myself at staying connected with the Latino community in part because I've been busy w/ my Ph.D. program. But now that I'm almost done I really want to make an effort and start "walking the walk" about giving back. I can't promise I'll be on these forums every day but I'm hoping that I can relay info & resources to folks here.

One of my biggest issues with psychology is that very few of us ever make a concerted effort to actually give something tangible to the Latino population. Too often people just recruit Latinos to get research done and get published. I'm not going to say I don't also want those things but at the end of the day I always ask myself, "So how is what I'm doing actually helping people, like say my parents?" It is, admittedly, difficult to do but I'm going to make an effort.

All that being said, I hope I can be a part of this wonderful community and in return I provide resources that I hope folks will find useful.
Old 08-25-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnspicy79 View Post
See that wasn't too hard.
Your not the first or last person to come in here to try and gather facts or ask questions..I guess they figure since its a large forum they will get what they need, then we never hear from them again. We don't get it too often though. Well good for you and glad you told us a little about yourself.
Ditto.

I'll look into the survey after work.

And welcome to Soy

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Last edited by xicanachick; 08-25-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-25-2011
Prospect

I appreciate you taking the time to provide me some feedback and I REALLY appreciate you participating. There's a specific reason why I'm only going back 1yr but I can't really go into it here just because I don't want that info to potentially impact people who haven't participated yet. But believe me when I say that you participating is REALLY going to help. Even if these questions totally missed out on your experience, that's important for me to know so that I can think about how I can better approach capturing your experiences.

But thanks again and please feel free to forward the link to any other Latinas/os you know. GRACIAS!!!
Old 08-25-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

One of the things I see as pretty problematic in disciplines like psychology and/or cognitive science or any of these social sciences is these types of surveys. especially, when dealing with such a heterogeneous group like "latinas/os."

Experiences within the community are also so complex and entail plenty of institutional, systemic, and individual instances of racism and discrimination.

I myself am not comfortable with these types of surveys w/o doing the proper legwork in communities and building rapport with said communities.

But then again I'm a student of scholars like Linda Smith who believes in decolonizing our methodologies.

Good luck on ur diss. Must be nice to be ABD already.

I know someone from teachers college over there at Colombia. Small world.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 08-25-2011
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
One of the things I see as pretty problematic in disciplines like psychology and/or cognitive science or any of these social sciences is these types of surveys. especially, when dealing with such a heterogeneous group like "latinas/os."

Experiences within the community are also so complex and entail plenty of institutional, systemic, and individual instances of racism and discrimination.

I myself am not comfortable with these types of surveys w/o doing the proper legwork in communities and building rapport with said communities.

But then again I'm a student of scholars like Linda Smith who believes in decolonizing our methodologies.

Good luck on ur diss. Must be nice to be ABD already.

I know someone from teachers college over there at Colombia. Small world.

What would be colonial vs non-colonial research methodologies?
Old 08-25-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Research that asks the question how does this research help the community that one is working with.

Decolonial research in my estimation is one that centers the voices/experiences of the people involved/being researched. Those voices shape the research versus the supposed expert who conducts the research.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 08-25-2011
Gunner

Quote:
Research that asks the question how does this research help the community that one is working with.

Decolonial research in my estimation is one that centers the voices/experiences of the people involved/being researched. Those voices shape the research versus the supposed expert who conducts the research.
I looked for a bit into what Linda Tuhiwai Smith has to say and I'd say that's about right. Research on human beings shouldn't be aloof and distant but involved and with respectful treatment. I'm also of the opinion that corporations studying genetics should not be allowed to patent what is already available in nature.

Other things seem hazy, but is DNA mapping in itself bad according to her?
Old 08-26-2011
Prospect

Quote:

I totally agree with your assessment about psychological research, particulalry as it pertains to just lumping everyone under the generic "Latino" or "Hispanic" label. There's so much variability w/in our group that I would argue it's practically non-informative to do research unless you account for this diversity.

My project, and there are others, is making a concerted effort to take a look at these differences. My biggest pet peeve in psych. research is assuming, for example, that all Mexicans or Mexican-Americans have similar experiences here in the U.S. I would argue to the contrary that a number of demographic variables (e.g., SES, education, gender, etc.,) influence how we experience being Latino/a in this country. It's obviosuly difficult to completely account for all of these variables but I hope folks know that there are a number of psychologists, myself included, who are genuinely making an effort.

As for the distiniction between colonial-decolonial, I've never heard those specific terms but yes there is also a number of studies conducted in the social sciences that take a more qualitative and cooperative approach to working w/ Latinos/as and other groups. Participatory Action Research (PAR) is one particular approach which if you've never heard of I would encourage you to check it out. I'll see if I can find some examples and share w/ everyone.

But thanks for the discussion! I hope we can all continue to work together and help push agendas that will be beneficial to all Latinos/as.
Old 08-26-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Good stuff. Look forward to seeing anything bout PAR.

Old 08-27-2011
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Once you're done with your research, will you bee telling us more info on why certain questions are written a certain way?

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 09-02-2011
Chicle

i was ready to jump in the survey without any kind of rant like sweetnspicy but i can't even see the link
Old 09-06-2011
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Once you're done with your research, will you bee telling us more info on why certain questions are written a certain way?
Depending on the question I may be able to answer it already. If you'd like further info once I'm done, shoot me a message either through here or the email address I provide on the survey and I'll add you to my list. Again, one of my goals is to keep Latinos(as) informed, ESPECIALLY if they're helping me out on my project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onka yolotl View Post
i was ready to jump in the survey without any kind of rant like sweetnspicy but i can't even see the link
Well thanks in advance for the support! Here's the link again:

Please feel free to email it out to friends, familia, co-workers, whoever. Mil gracias!!!

Last edited by xicanachick; 09-06-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2011
Prospect

I wanted to follow up and say how grateful & humble I am for the support and kind words I've been given so far. GRACIAS! I am still collecting data however and want to encourage folks to please participate if you haven't already and feel free to share my link to any other Latinos/as. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2011
Supporter
Veterano

Quote:
^Yeah, victoria106, can you answer this, please.

victoria106, and what part of L.A. do you reside now?
Old 09-15-2011
Prospect

So let me answer your 2nd question first; I'm currently residing in the same vicinty where I grew up (i.e., Maywood, Huntington Park, Cudahy, Bell). May I ask, how come you're asking?

The response to your first question ("...how does this research help the community that one is working with.") is, unfortunately, a convuluted one. What I mean is that my research project does NOT directly help out the Latino community but does so in an indirect way. Let me see if I can make myself clearer...

The short answer is that I hope the results of my study will:
a) Highlight that the Latino population is highly diverse both in terms of racial makeup, racial experiences, and their understanding of themselves as a racial group in the U.S. I know that this point seems obvious to most of us but believe me this is not obvious to the psychology community.

b) As a result of this diversity, we as psychologist need to recognize that our interventions w/ individuals and the community need to account for these differences. So for example, the research often shows that certain Latino groups (e.g., Cubans) fair better across various demographic markers (e.g., SES, education, health, etc.) than other Latino groups. We psychologists need to be asking better questions as to why this is. My project is one minor step in asking these type of questions.

So, again, the process in facilitating changes to the type of support and services we provide Latinos is often a long and convoluted one and so I don't want to make a promise that my project will lead to the creation of a specific program. My hope is that with continued collaboration w/ various folks including other sciences, politicians, and members of the community we can use the body of knowledge (such as my dissertation) to begin the process of creating better programs and interventions to the community. Like I've been saying it's kind of an indirect link...

I hope this clarifies somewhat what you were asking but please feel free to continue to ask questions should they come up. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavecitita View Post
^Yeah, victoria106, can you answer this, please.

victoria106, and what part of L.A. do you reside now?
Old 09-15-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Do you plan on movin forward after the diss to makin it a book? And how are you thinking of making your diss available and accessible to community members? And what communities? NY? LA?

Old 09-15-2011
Supporter
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria106 View Post
So let me answer your 2nd question first; I'm currently residing in the same vicinty where I grew up (i.e., Maywood, Huntington Park, Cudahy, Bell). May I ask, how come you're asking?I hope this clarifies somewhat what you were asking but please feel free to continue to ask questions should they come up. Thanks!
Why are you contradicting yourself?

victoria106 - why do I get the feeling that you are Roberto aka ModaFoca?

If it's you, then this is some sick sh*t what you're trying to do. La PURA NETA MANO!!

Old 09-16-2011
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavecitita View Post
Why are you contradicting yourself?

victoria106 - why do I get the feeling that you are Roberto aka ModaFoca?

If it's you, then this is some sick sh*t what you're trying to do. La PURA NETA MANO!!

I can assure you I am not "ModaFoca". I'm not really contradicting myself or at least I don't think so. Like I said, you can feel free to ask me questions but it doesn't necessarily mean that I will answer them. When I can answer the question, I will. If I feel the question is inappropriate, then I'll let you know that too.

Also, if I'm leaving myself available to answer questions it doesn't seem out of bounds for me to ask questions in return. I hope we can have a two-way dialogue where I can ask as well as answer questions. Let me know what your thoughts are.

Quote:
Do you plan on movin forward after the diss to makin it a book? And how are you thinking of making your diss available and accessible to community members? And what communities? NY? LA?

You know I haven't thought that far ahead yet or at least not in a real depth. I think at a bare minimum I might try to publish it in a scientific psychology journal but I'm not 100% sure yet. As far I'm concerned, I'd like to make available to ALL Latinos/as but where it gets tricky is with copyrights and things like that. So, for example, if I did publish my diss as a book, technically the publisher owns the right to the book and so that would limit the extent to which I could make the information available to folks.

So I have to think about how I would like to disseminate the info but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by xicanachick; 09-16-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

I'll take the survey later this afternoon after I get done with my meeting.
Old 09-16-2011
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I'll take the survey later this afternoon after I get done with my meeting.
Awesome! Gracias!!! Please feel free to pass along the link to other Latinos/as you may know.
Old 09-16-2011
Supporter
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria106 View Post
I can assure you I am not "ModaFoca". I'm not really contradicting myself or at least I don't think so. Like I said, you can feel free to ask me questions but it doesn't necessarily mean that I will answer them. When I can answer the question, I will. If I feel the question is inappropriate, then I'll let you know that too.
You're no professional at all.

Why are you even wasting your time in here, if and when in reality, YOU DON'T CARE.
Old 09-16-2011
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

You have a make a fine point Victoria. You accept all questions and YOU CAN pick and choose which ones you answer, just like any other member on this site, even some posting in this thread who ask stupid questions.
Old 09-17-2011
Supporter
Veterano

Stupid is the one who does NOT ask any questions.

Right, victoria106?

I guess I scared him away.

THANK GOODNESS!