Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Health and Beauty > General Health

General Health Discuss any Health topics that don't quite fit into any other health forums.

Old 09-27-2004
SuaveHighTimes

UPDATE:

Well, im noticing my arms and shoulders taking a very nice form! still aways from where i want to be, but things are looking better. My girlfriend also works out, but we now go at different times. we used to go tegether, but then we started getting on each others nerves and i wanted to do one thing and she another or vise versa.

Now its better we dont go together. she now motivates me and i her much more often!

I now run everyday (except Firdays and Sundays, my off days) and alternate between swimming and weights. I think its working out for me.
My legs feel alot stronger and my calves seem slightly bigger and more toned. I'v been able to add more weight to my routines. i still ave plenty of pounds to lose, but im on the right track.

How is everyone else faring?
Old 09-27-2004
*Mr*Manuel

DAMN LINDA, with your ALREADY HECTIC SCHEDULE, HOW DO YOU FIND TIME???????

Old 09-27-2004
deletedAccount

Its hard to diet, etc when our food is delicious I think anyone who has a family who sticks to their roots and culture has a hard time dieting because even a family who is Greek has good food, I went to my friends house to do a project once in school and her mom had made us dinner and it was just fuckin good.

But white or chicano/latinos who dont keep in with their roots and stick to generic food like hamburger helper and fast food have an easy time of resisting the urge to each such food because it isnt always around them etc as if your family knew how to cook such great food. just my opinion.
Old 09-27-2004
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to shortcakes

Well I was hitting the gym pretty hard...then I lost my card and then I got to lazy to go get it replaced. I lack self motivation as you can tell...

Hopefully I can get my big booty back to the gym soon
Old 09-27-2004
dd

Good thread Suavehightimes!

I still need to work on getting rid of at least 5% body fat. Very difficult to do. I have pretty much hit on most of my muscle groups with the exception of my lats. I will focus on this in the near future. This will give me more of the look I am aiming towards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos
Its hard to diet, etc when our food is delicious I think anyone who has a family who sticks to their roots and culture has a hard time dieting because even a family who is Greek has good food, I went to my friends house to do a project once in school and her mom had made us dinner and it was just fuckin good.

But white or chicano/latinos who dont keep in with their roots and stick to generic food like hamburger helper and fast food have an easy time of resisting the urge to each such food because it isnt always around them etc as if your family knew how to cook such great food. just my opinion.
Yes our food is delicious. What I do to counteract this dilemma..... is I drain my meats from the manteca and rinse. I use less salt, but other than that I don't wipe our delicious food from my diet. Not completely. Once I get rid of at least 5% more body fat, I will be able to consume most foods without having to worry so much. When I lower my body fat, my metabolism rises and I am able to more lax in my eating decisions.

I love Mediterranean food too!
Old 09-27-2004
Meme

It has to be something that's too rich in your diet. you're have plenty of activity in your routine. but your diet is lacking something. what exactly are you eating? breakfast, lunch and dinner. and snacks.... what are you drinking? beer? sodas?
Old 09-27-2004
Supporter
Maestro

I've lost the most weight by eating more, but eating healthier.. Boosting my metabolism. I like to work out, but I can't for now because of my foot. I don't like to focus on my upper body much - certainly don't want a buff upper half and flabby legs, and I can't do cardio for now, which is a big part of my work out. So once my foot is better I'll get back to the cardio and weights.

But even though I haven't been able to work out for a month, I'm still losing weight because of a healthy diet. I've noticed big changes overall since I've started on my fitness plan. And I still eat what I like to overall.. Just less fatty stuff.

As a general rule I don't eat anything with the fat calories being more than half of the overall calories.

Old 09-27-2004
Meme

go to the jungles of the phillipines and drink the water... I gurantee you'll lose weight.. fast!!!!!
Old 09-27-2004
Estudiante

Send a message via Yahoo to Oldsancho

When i think about getting back in shape.........I usually just have a cigarette and lay down till the thought passes. heheheheh

I told him "I don't know and i don't give a shit!"
Old 09-27-2004
*Mr*Manuel

^^^^^^^ LMAO
Old 09-27-2004
dd

^^^^^^^^^ You're funny!
Old 09-28-2004
dd

Quote:
I plan on getting in very good condition before the end of the year, so I can start training seriously for competition.
Umm......Can I have a pic at the end of the year? :P

Also, I hope you do well and you get serious for competitions. It is amazing to me how being strong and fit will improve your state of mind.
Old 09-28-2004
SuaveHighTimes

I was surfing the web on tips for weight training and i came uopn this column. I think most of us who work out can appreciate its contents:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
::::
Weightlifting provides a means for goal setting not for some company, teacher, or friend. But goal setting for oneself. When someone learns the power of personal goal setting there isn't much they can't aim for and reach closer to because of effort. Goal setting and achievement coupled with an enhanced ability to deal with pain can make weightlifting a true self esteem building activity. To succeed in weight lifting ones diet, sleep, lifting intensity, lifting frequency, and time must all be managed symbiotically and in an effective fashion. If this is not the sort of priority management that success is about in life just what would be?

In the end weightlifting to its hardcore adherants is a spritiual thing. It allows one to wield the body like a machine. Its allows one to know success; incremental success. It allows one to manage hostility. The iron of weightlifting can be a best friend. Its consistant, won't inflate your ego, and lets you know exactly where you stand. A friend that is always there, always pushing you, and never accepting anything less than progress can be the best friend one ever has. For many that lift their iron is their best friend on this level. They lift because its who they are. The reason to lift is the drive to succeed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 09-28-2004
Veterano

I'm with OldSancho!!!

I was very active when I was younger, I played sports, ran around raising a family, but now, I am just too laid back to do anything. I walk about a mile a day - just to see the stuff outside (I live in a forest) but I have arthritis in my knees and ankles - injuries from basketball and Motocross racing, so I am ususlly looking for a painfree activity

I miss that, dirtbike riding - thats the 351 in my nic - I used to race dirtbikes and my number was 351 . But, I have two back injuries, and both of my ankles were broken twice doing that .
Not to mention the 4 whiplashes I've had during car accidents when I was partying really hard.

So, I've pretty much used my body very recklessly - but damn I had fun while it lasted
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 09-29-2004
Veterano

Quote:
I walk about a mile a day - just to see the stuff outside (I live in a forest)

Do you need to be rescued?
Old 09-29-2004
Supporter
Veterano

CoolArrow, would you be MY personal trainer?
Old 09-29-2004
Veterano

Yes CoolArrow - Yes!!

LOL
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 09-29-2004
Supporter
Veterano

Ohhhh, you're lucky TIA, if you're gonna be rescued by CoolArrow!

*sighs* Ahhhh, he's such a cutie!
Old 02-25-2013
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to shortcakes
Default Re: Fitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcakes View Post
Well I was hitting the gym pretty hard...then I lost my card and then I got to lazy to go get it replaced. I lack self motivation as you can tell...

Hopefully I can get my big booty back to the gym soon
Yeah....still haven't gone back
Old 02-25-2013
Maestro

i do not diet or workout... but i need to change my habits FAST
Old 02-25-2013
Maestro

I try to workout often. I just finished up the Insanity fitness program. Before that I ran to keep fit, and am getting back to that again. Of course I workout to stay healthy, but it's such a good way to unwind or start your day.

I don't "diet", I eat healthy. Diets, for me, seem temporary. You do it for a while until you get the results that you want, then you go back to the way you ate before, and tend to gain it back. Don't get me wrong...I have my "cheat" days. But for the most part, I eat pretty good.
Old 02-25-2013
♥ =) ♥
Maestro

I'd like to workout more often and eat healthier but life comes and ruins everything.

I did P90X for a while, and joined a gym two weeks ago. School has me extremely busy so working out is hard to do right now. When things settle down, I'll work out more regularly.

And like others have stated: our food is way too damn good to diet.
Old 03-07-2013
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to _aztec_princess_ Send a message via Yahoo to _aztec_princess_

I try to count my calories, drink more water and just eat less and better in general.

I have noticed, and so have others, weight loss simply from that.

I try to make zumba classes, but my schedule is crazy busy.

Old 03-07-2013
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveHighTimes View Post
So does anyone diet or workout? or do both or none?

If you do, how has it worked out for you? what has been your biggest Noticeable improvement?

Reason i ask is cause i've been working out for a few months now. I hit the gym at least 4-5 days of the week. I run about 3 miles a day, do sit-ups/crunches, some rowing and some weights. ive yet to lose/convert about 14 pounds of fat into lean muscle (i'm not fat, but i've been letting myself go), but i figure 2-3 monhts would do the job.

Does anyone else work out passionately? How important is protein to you if you only do cardio?
I work out at least 5 days a week... I have a gym in the building I work at, so no excuses for me... plus I go to 24 hour fitness at least 3 days a week outside of work. I do not diet, but I watch everything I eat, and make sure I'm eating right sized portions.

It works out pretty good... I am a runner, so the biggest changes I notice are in my legs and my entire body overall is pretty toned up. I will say though, that I have been active my whole life, and it wasn't until I customized my diet that I saw results.

To build muscle, you do need protein in your diet. Also, to lose fat... BREAD and CARBS are your worst enemy........ or there's always steroids lol jk!