Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Health and Beauty > General Health

General Health Discuss any Health topics that don't quite fit into any other health forums.

Old 07-08-2004
SuaveHighTimes

Default Fitness

So does anyone diet or workout? or do both or none?

If you do, how has it worked out for you? what has been your biggest Noticeable improvement?

Reason i ask is cause i've been working out for a few months now. I hit the gym at least 4-5 days of the week. I run about 3 miles a day, do sit-ups/crunches, some rowing and some weights. ive yet to lose/convert about 14 pounds of fat into lean muscle (i'm not fat, but i've been letting myself go), but i figure 2-3 monhts would do the job.

Does anyone else work out passionately? How important is protein to you if you only do cardio?
Old 07-08-2004
Gunner

Send a message via Yahoo to Indira

Well you know I work out but I just started but I don't see any changes. I guess its too soon. I don't really diet but I do eat less of what I eat.

And no I don't workout passionately!!!!
Old 07-08-2004
dd

i do, but not as intensely as you do.

i diet very good because this is what makes me lean fast. i eat ground turkey, instead of ground beef. if i do eat ground beef, i rinse it real well and try to rinse off the fat as much as possible.

i eat a lot of fruit, like bananas and grapefruit and oranges. you know the power foods. if i get tempted in eating, i try to eat raisin bran, boiled eggs or whatever. if i cheat and eat a candy bar, i will do about 300 crunches to help with the calorie intake.

thanks to my mom's good genetics, i have been passed her genes so it doesn't take me that long to drop the weight.

my trouble spots right now is my obliques, i am doing as many reps as possible and building.

i love working out. you feel energetic and strong. if you over do it you will feel weak and sad. the key is balance for me.

*spirit, mind and body are all important to me.
Old 07-08-2004
SuaveHighTimes

Oh no, dont get me wrong. It may look like i do alot but i dont really. I definitely run every day (4-5 days), but i only do crunches say 3 days out of the week and weights only 1-2 days out of the week. I alternate between weights and rowing. sorry if i made it seem like im after the governators lifting titles!
Old 07-08-2004
dd

it's cool. i have found that running (for my body type) isn't the greatest for me. so my work out consists of crunches every single day. about 500 per day. (i'm working towards 1000 per day).

anyways, if i run, i get real hungry. so it's kind of like two steps forward and one step back for me when i do this.

to get the fastest and best result (again, i'm talking about my body type), i watch what i eat, do low weight with high repititions when lifting weights.

some of us ladies have to be extra careful, there are some fats that we don't want to lose. HAHAHAHA
Old 07-08-2004
Estudiante

Send a message via ICQ to la_bonita_16 Send a message via AIM to la_bonita_16 Send a message via Yahoo to la_bonita_16

I work out here at home everyday. Iusually work for an hour or two straight and then whenever I just feel the need to get out some extra energy.
And I try to run a good distance onee every week.
I've been doing alot more sit-ups and crunches, though. My stomach is gettng a little loose and I can't be having that!
I really don't watch what I eat, though, I just eat alot and I guess I have a fast metabolism because I don't seem to be gaining weight. I've weighed the same ever since 7th grade.
But, I to try and stay healthy. I run alot because I love to play sports.

I guess the most that I've improved on would have to be my arms. I have pretty strong legs and I've been working out on my arms more. I can lift more but not alot.
Old 07-08-2004
Maestro

I hate working out. I hate going to the gym. It's so boring to me to stand in one place and work out.

I use to go for jogs at a nearby park but I haven't had the time lately.

I don't really watch what I eat either. I just eat moderate portions. I try to eat healthy during the week. Weekends though, I let go.

Works for me.
Old 07-08-2004
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

i eat when and what i want. fuck it. might as well enjoy life and not have no worries about it.

as for working out. well before i got sick i was doing about4-6 sets of curls and the sameof over the head or behind the head pushs with the weights(dont know the name and dont care)
nothign special. nothing intense. just doing somthing. i did like 10-15 reps in each set. no set time.
i DONT run . unless i have to. never really liked to. plus my back starts to hurt severly after a little bit.

so yeah. other then that i will do some push ups. no biggy. liek i said. nothing major or intense. but oh well i dont care. i am not trying to lose weight.
Old 07-08-2004
SuaveHighTimes

I'll be sure to check out the site.

First i'd like to lose the extra weight and then start on building my muscles. Ive tried alternating the tow and only wound up dismotivating me. i saw no results. so now im mostly sticking to cardio, and then after i lose say 10 punds ill completely switch over to weight lifting except for maybe a day or 2 or running. I drink in about 40g of protein on a daily, but ill work my way up. What do you think of my gameplan?
Old 07-08-2004
Chicle

I need to start going back to tha Y, I used to go every other day when summer started, I do 35 min of cardio and lift weights, I noticed change within only 2 weeks.
Old 07-08-2004
Travieso

I have an XL-Glider here at home and jump on it while I watch t.v. I also have an exercise ball and weights. I have noticed big changes on my arms and legs by using that machine. I also do crunches using the ball to support my legs and my abs are looking nice. Sitting on the ball while watching t.v. also works out the abs, just remember to hold in your stomach for an ultimate workout. I eat low calorie, low fat food. It made a huge difference swithching from vitamin D to fat-free milk. I use egg beaters instead of eggs, low calorie bread, fat free mayo (Smart Beat), low fat cheese, lean meats and lots of skinless chicken. I don't use sugar, instead I use Equal. The best thing about working out at home is that my daughter loves to join in. She lays there next to me and does crunches (she's 4) and she thinks exercise is fun.
Old 07-08-2004
Presidente

damn mordita! all that shit sounds nasty as hell. lol. sorry but i have tried equal and the taste does not compare. neither does the taste of over easy eggs. and well with the exception of the bonelss- skinless chicekn i saw nothign you typed that looked tasty. i am not saying i wont eat what u make. but so far it seems as if. i dontknow like i would be missing out on alot of tasty things.
Old 07-08-2004
Travieso

^Oh come on, don't knock it until you try it. This morning I made pancakes (blueberry) using my egg beaters and they came out really good. I used sugar free syrup and the taste is just the same as regular syrup. I guess your just gonna have to come over so I could fix you up a plate.
Old 07-08-2004
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

i'm with u nelio....fuggit...eat and do what i want....recently i've been on a diet of soda and microwavable pizza...and oddly enough, i've been losing weight...its kinda scary....
Old 07-08-2004
Travieso

^Yes, I forgot how nasty some things did taste the first week (ie diet soda) now I am so used to it. During the holidays I ate a tamale and my stomach hurt all night. I still eat fast food but I pick grilled chicken, with no mayo, no cheese. At Subway I leave out the mayo, oil and cheese and pick wheat bread. :P
Old 07-08-2004
Juarol

You feel better when you eat right.. you have the right type of energy your body needs. Since i been working nights the routine i had sort of side tracked. working nights just sucks period. on days i would eat fruit or yogurt at work instead of junk food. come home and bake chicken and have salad. I still do the same but its hard since i do not cook at work and its not like i have long breaks either... and im home by 10:30pm so inbetween all that i have to make sure i eat ok so that im not super hungy when i get home at night. its not so much about missing out on good food or good eats. i mean GOD half the food thats out there is just simply not meant to be eaten!
Old 07-08-2004
Travieso

Send a message via AIM to SA_Imelda_896 Send a message via MSN to SA_Imelda_896

Wahts up?

I diet and excersize. It worked great for me i went from a size 6 to a size 2. I ate regularly and did sit ups before every meal and within a week i noticed i lost weight. I ate what i regularly ate to i didnt stop ating pizza and icecream and ect. Thats probably why i have sticked to the diet.
Old 07-08-2004
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by juarol
You feel better when you eat right.. you have the right type of energy your body needs.\!
thats just crap words right there.

prove it. maybe if you been eating that way for a while.

but me give me almost any meal where i do not stuff myself. which i do not do much these days. but i damn sure had no problem having energy after i ate.

hell you have energy just from eating. what type is supposed to be the right type of energy?
the more i type the more i dont think that statement makes any sense at all. but oh well

and i would try it mordita. but i doubt i would like it. i am cooking as i type. and the aroma is always different when you use different things. trust a cook who has had to cook both ways at restuarants.
Old 07-08-2004
Travieso

I have sacrificed a lot of my favorite foods (pizza, pan dulce, fried chicken etc) and yes it is hard. I guess it all comes down to what is more important to you. After I had my little girl I breastfeed her and needed to eat more. So, I ate whatever I wanted. It really took a toll on my body. I decited one day that I had the power to change my body. So, I did. I don't ever want to feel bad about the way I look. So, I guess to me the food isn't as important as the feeling I get when I look in the mirror.
Old 07-08-2004
Juarol

Umm yes if you eat right for a long while you start feeling better... and i diddnt make that up LOL. its a super slow way of losing weight without exercising but it sure feels better then eating greasy food. lets take our friend Linda for expample...do you honestly think she lives off of fried food while doing Pilates? come on now.

<edit> Good for you Moradita!! :P I dont say i do not eat pizza, or burgers.. pero its once in a blue moon if anything. its just not worth it. i dont want to worry about heart disease when im in my 40's or 50s
Old 07-08-2004
Gunner

i work out for a hour each moring and 2 hours after work, i work out alot but i like it i can run forever, but then again i'm in the Army so i have to be fit, as far as looking for signs your doing good in you workout you have to do it for at lease 6 months for a good improvement
Old 07-08-2004
Director

Send a message via AIM to SDx Send a message via Yahoo to SDx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelio
but me give me almost any meal where i do not stuff myself. which i do not do much these days. but i damn sure had no problem having energy after i ate.
hahaha...damn...i pass the fudge out whenever i eat too much....take today for example...i ate a gripload at lunch, then i fell asleep at work.....no food gives me energy...(lack of)
Old 07-08-2004
deletedAccount

I have a passion for sports, and I consider that working out I guess. I find it to be lots of fun... basketball, tennis, and soccer. I've been holding out on fast food restaurants and stuff, and I think that makes a big difference.
Old 07-11-2004
deleted user [001]

I work out at least six days a week. I do Pilates twice a week, a cardio routine three times a week and weight training once a week. When I am in Las Vegas, I play racquetball. Now that I am in Ann Arbor, I plan on playing a lot of tennis because the weather allows for outdoor sports. I also like to swim.

There for a while I was lazy and stopped watching what I ate. I was too busy to cook so we always ate out. I gained weight. I took control of my body and cut out carbs, sugar and fast food. I dropped the weight and now I try to control my carb and sugar intake because that is what was making me gain weight.

Fast food is garbage. When I was growing up, my mother didn't let us eat fast food, drink sodas or snacks. I was always thin. When I moved out and went to college, I started eating bad and started the cycle of gaining and losing weight.
Old 07-12-2004
dd

Moradita:

it sounds like you shop the way i do!

i wanted to tell you that i got a letter from my chiropractor the other day and he had like a 2 page report on nutrasweet. basically, in his report he describes how the equals and nutrasweets are a toxin to our body.

anyways, i'm going to talk to him during my next appointment. hmmmm. it did worry me though and i use this a lot. hopefully i'm worried over nothing.