Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Community > Veteranos' Corner

Veteranos' Corner A place for military veterans to talk about thier experiences, travels, or other military veteran related topics.

Old 04-24-2005
Chicle

Default Anxious about getting out of the Navy

Well, just a little anxious about getting out of the military. Joined when I was 18 and have about 3 months left before I get out. I have a ideas about what I am going to do when I get out but nothing thats for sure yet. Im an Nuke Electronics Technician working in Operations and Maintenance on a power plant.

Guess Im just wondering how the other veteranos in here dealt with getting out and where they are now and if they would have any advice.
Old 04-24-2005
Prospect

Send a message via Yahoo to Makai

I have never been in the military, but my brother was in the Navy. He was in there for 8 years. He says that what matters is if you find something that you are passionate about outside the navy. Think about what you like and what would make you happy...Makai
Old 04-24-2005
Gunner

i'm to get out of the Army nexy July but i'm not i'm re-enlisting i plan on doing 20 years or more in the Army, go luck on the outside
Old 04-25-2005
Travieso

thank you for serving your time and God bless you.
Old 04-25-2005
Maestro

Send a message via MSN to Wizdom

Get Into something right away, Or you will be like me when I got out. I partied! well party a little bit. But now Im a cop. I went to policwe academy and then became a cop. Its hard getting used to, I still have a hard time not writing in all CAPS. But make sure you get a last look of that ocean or where ever your at. One thing I missed the most is the thing I hated and that was the ocean..........I was on the USS Stark (decomed) out of mayport florida, jacksonville
Old 04-25-2005
El Jefe de Soy Chicano!
Director

Send a message via AIM to SNH Send a message via Yahoo to SNH

I am due to be finishing my enlistment soon as well. I should be out and done with the Navy in November of this year.

Being an Information Systems Technician (IT), I hope to have a few good job opportunities. I will have to wait and see. I do believe I still need some certifications under my belt but I hope to get those taken care of in due time.

Come this October, I will have 10 years in the service. I was hoping to be able to do a full 20 or so and get that nice retirement at 38 years old but I had a kind of major hickup and am now at HYT. Big bummer but my own fault.

You staying in Cali after getting out? A friend of mine got out of the NAV a couple years ago. He just recently went back in as a reservist. I just talked to him on the phone recently and he stressed to me that it is highly important that I start planning everything before getting out. He made the mistake of waiting until he got out and ended up with his thumb up his ass and in a tight spot that he found he could never get out of. Thus the reason why he rejoined the service as a reservist.

Basically, make sure you have all your ducks in a row. Hit up your CCC(Command Career Counselor) and also utilize your FFSC(Fleet and Family Support Center). Attend your TAP(Transition Assistance Program) Class and don't be afraid to ask questions. Talk to others who are getting out soon and get advice. The sooner you get a jump on this transition, the better prepared you will be.
Old 04-25-2005
Meme

Think AUTOMATION!!! automating systems, automation controller....etc. It's easy and seems to be right up your alley.
Old 04-25-2005
Chicle

I do need about 16 semester hours left and have already applied to a college for this fall. I would like to find a job to keep working because of bills and all. Hopefully Ill finally decide what Im going to do.
Dont think Ill be missing going out to sea that much. Things Ill miss will be my friends that I started out with and pulling into ports and doing nothing but party. Although the months at sea for two or three days in port hardly seem worth it.
thanks for the responses and well see what happens in the next couple of months. later
Old 02-19-2006
Mocoso

Send a message via Yahoo to silent_mijo
Default Re: Anxious about getting out of the Navy

im still in question if i wanna get out of the navy........i dont mind it i just dont like the people i work with......the MOS i was trained for i have been doing 11 months out of 3 and half years.......so quien sabe......

\"I've lost it all......so why do i go on\"