Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Community > Veteranos' Corner

Veteranos' Corner A place for military veterans to talk about thier experiences, travels, or other military veteran related topics.

Old 05-11-2006
Mocoso

Send a message via Yahoo to Bongadong
Default I'm going to the Air Force but I feel my Recruiter is holding out on me...

We've discussed everything, absolutely everything, but as far as bonuses (if there are any) and pay, I haven't been informed at all. When it comes to money, my recruiter has not even mentioned it.

I signed a 4 year contract and I'm in the delayed entry program, I am waiting to get A+ Certified in Hardware before I leave in September. I know that my pay grade will be E-1, which is Basic Airman.

Also, I really hope to be stationed in Europe for most if not all of my 4 years serving. Is it probable that I'd get stationed out there?

Also, exactly how do you earn degrees while in the military? How do you go to class or take tests and all of that?
Old 05-11-2006
Veterano

Default Re: I'm going to the Air Force but I feel my Recruiter is holding out on me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongadong
We've discussed everything, absolutely everything, but as far as bonuses (if there are any) and pay, I haven't been informed at all. When it comes to money, my recruiter has not even mentioned it.

I signed a 4 year contract and I'm in the delayed entry program, I am waiting to get A+ Certified in Hardware before I leave in September. I know that my pay grade will be E-1, which is Basic Airman.

Also, I really hope to be stationed in Europe for most if not all of my 4 years serving. Is it probable that I'd get stationed out there?

Also, exactly how do you earn degrees while in the military? How do you go to class or take tests and all of that?

Shouldnt you have asked these questions before you signed a 4 yr contract?

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 05-11-2006
Mocoso

Default Re: I'm going to the Air Force but I feel my Recruiter is holding out on me...

No because I would go regardless. The most important thing to me is the educational benefits once I get out, I know how much I'll get paid once I'm active, I just want to know about the bonuses.
Old 05-11-2006
Travieso

Try using Google to answer Ur questions but foreal U shuld ask Ur recruiter try 2 make an appointment wit him

Nunca sabes lo que tienes hasta que lo pierdes....

http://myspace.com/sofineimdivine
Old 05-11-2006
Veterano

the Comptia A+ certification is both Hardware and software (operating system). Good luck.
Old 05-15-2006
Not Activated!
Gunner

Quote:

Mija.....well, I wish I could talk you out of the Armed Forces......I know that probably sounds strange coming from a veteran myself, and I did go into the Air Force, I loved it and I entered it during the Gulf War.

I hear so much talk from people who don't want to see any more of our people die in battlefield. I just want to be sure that you know there are other options other than the Armed Forces in the way of receiving education......if you want, I will call you and discuss this information with you.

I can call you anytime.........I have a feeling we are heading towards WWIII and I could be wrong, right? Anyway, I will do some research for you on Air Force E-1 pay.

Do you know what your AFSC is going to be? Let me know........I have friends in the USAF and still chat with them.

You being stationed in Europe will depend on your AFSC so let me know what code that is and I will ask. By the way, if you are going in there for the benefits.....the USAF will deduct pay during your first year. I hope your recruiter told you that.....if not, let me know.

I know a couple of the recruiters here and will ask around, ok? I know that pay has gone up since I retired.

Cuidate.

Old 05-15-2006
Estudiante

Send a message via MSN to sxy_mexicana Send a message via Yahoo to sxy_mexicana

hope everything goes great!!!
Old 05-15-2006
Not Activated!
Gunner

Quote:
We've discussed everything, absolutely everything, but as far as bonuses
By the way....if you tell me your AFSC, I will be able to tell you if you are eligible for a bonus. Also, PM me your ASVAB score si quieres....I will do all I can to make sure that you get everything that is offered........if your decision is still firm.

Last edited by Quetzalcoatl; 05-15-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2006
Mocoso

Send a message via Yahoo to silent_mijo

i wish i could help you to answer your questions......im in the navy right now and still learning about education opertunites.......i am not sure how the airforce and navy differ in bonuses......i am sure that things like hazard pay and seperation pay are applicable to both........pero you should defently talk with your recruiter about any and all questions you have.......reguarding your job and your pay......remember your going to be doing it for 4 years......might as well do a job you enjoy.....well hope i helped

\"I've lost it all......so why do i go on\"
Old 05-17-2006
Not Activated!
Gunner

If there are shortages in the Armed Forces and if they need more manpower in a certain area.....sometimes they will give bonuses.

When I was in.....the Air Force took out money out of my pay for the first year, so those who go in thinking that the educational benefits are TOTALLY free.......well it isn't completely. The Armed Forces paid much of the benefits but it is not totally free.....however, it was one of the best investments that is available.

Last edited by Quetzalcoatl; 05-17-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2006
Mocoso

Well I just got a job. I will be doing Operations Intelligence (IN031). My ASVAB score was a 62.

DD, I appreciate the help, especially since you don't think joining the Armed Forces is the best option. So thanks a lot. I do stand firm in my decision.

By the way, my pay grade will be E-3 since I just switched from a 4 year to 6 year contract. Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2006
Not Activated!
Gunner

Smile Re: I'm going to the Air Force but I feel my Recruiter is holding out on me...

Quote:
Well I just got a job. I will be doing Operations Intelligence (IN031). My ASVAB score was a 62.

DD, I appreciate the help, especially since you don't think joining the Armed Forces is the best option. So thanks a lot. I do stand firm in my decision.

By the way, my pay grade will be E-3 since I just switched from a 4 year to 6 year contract. Thanks again.
Bueno.

That's your decision and I respect it. Now that you have made your decision.....you will be in my deep thoughts.

I think you got a good job with ops intel.

You are going to make some very good friends.......the first two weeks is hard, pay attention to detail/instructions. It's mostly a head game during basic training. They want to mentally break you down, mija. I think with the Air Force....it is more of a mental thing than a physical thing. So focus and be strong.

Prepare yourself physically before basic....that way it will be a piece of cake......and you have more time to focus on the 'games' they play.

Don't chew gum when you get there....don't talk at all. Don't ask questions AT ALL, or they will be in your face.....keep a low profile.....and just follow instructions if you want to make it through basic training.

When people fail the basic 'red line' tests....it means that the Technical Instructors (TI) will 'wash you back' to a squadron/flight that arrived AFTER you got there which means you will graduate from Basic Training at a later date.

If you keep getting 'washed back'....it means that you are probably not going to make it through.

Cuidate!

P.S. Technical is hella fun! Hella fun! You will meet some great comrades/friends! Keep their addresses in safe places.

Last edited by Quetzalcoatl; 05-24-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-24-2006
Mocoso

Yeah, I started training now. Luckily the Job Corps I am at has an Air Base right next to it. And a BX across the street. I got my Military ID and go 3 days a week to use their huge gym. I haven't gone recently because I was sick but I'll get back on track. I've looked into it a lot. I know the mimimum requirements to graduate. But I'm aiming for the War Hawk award so I'm trying to reach those requirements even though its not mandatory. Anyhow, if there are any bonuses I should know about please let me know. Gotta go, thanks!
Old 05-26-2006
Not Activated!
Gunner

Quote:
Yeah, I started training now. Luckily the Job Corps I am at has an Air Base right next to it. And a BX across the street. I got my Military ID and go 3 days a week to use their huge gym. I haven't gone recently because I was sick but I'll get back on track. I've looked into it a lot. I know the mimimum requirements to graduate. But I'm aiming for the War Hawk award so I'm trying to reach those requirements even though its not mandatory. Anyhow, if there are any bonuses I should know about please let me know. Gotta go, thanks!
I'm glad you looked into it a lot...it sounds like a fun job tambien.......so far I haven't heard about the bonuses...but will keep tabs.

You will be in my prayers forever.....especially when things are getting ugly out there. Abrazos. Keep in touch through soy......
Old 05-26-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
No because I would go regardless. The most important thing to me is the educational benefits once I get out, I know how much I'll get paid once I'm active, I just want to know about the bonuses.
Then why ask the questions if you are going regardless?

"Tehan tohtocazqueh to tamatcayotl can cachi chicahuac." - David Vazquez
Old 05-30-2006
Mocoso

Because if there did happen to be anyone to know, then I would like to be informed. Its not a question of why, but why not? There is nothing wrong with wanting to find out a little more. It doesn't have an impact on my decision to go.
Old 05-30-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl

Quote:
It doesn't have an impact on my decision to go.
Exactly. You signed up before you knew anything. The best thing for you is the little you know, the least you'll have second thoughts.

Usually when you question a lot, you begin to have second thoughts. How do you think I became the way I am?

Old 05-30-2006
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
Usually when you question a lot, you begin to have second thoughts. How do you think I became the way I am?

lead paint? lol j/k

I can't really help you out. Other then listen and pay attention.

Quote:
I'm all Caballero
Old 05-30-2006
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisA
lead paint? lol j/k

I can't really help you out. Other then listen and pay attention.
I'm serious.

Usually I don't really say stuff about my personal life, but a girl I liked (she's could've been the Mrs. *my last name*) decided to join the army.

I personally never talked about my opinion to her until she asked me. Bc of it, it got her to question and later regret signing up. There was nothing she could do since she signed the paper. I told her, you got to do what you got to do. This July she will be shipped to Iraq at least that's what the last time of communication (which we do rarely now.) said. I don't know if she still regrets or what, we don't really talk about our opinions about the whole mess and keep it to ourselves.

Old 05-30-2006
Fresh Meat!

Send a message via Yahoo to Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl
I'm serious.

Usually I don't really say stuff about my personal life, but a girl I liked (she's could've been the Mrs. *my last name*) decided to join the army.

I personally never talked about my opinion to her until she asked me. Bc of it, it got her to question and later regret signing up. There was nothing she could do since she signed the paper. I told her, you got to do what you got to do. This July she will be shipped to Iraq at least that's what the last time of communication (which we do rarely now.) said. I don't know if she still regrets or what, we don't really talk about our opinions about the whole mess and keep it to ourselves.
Same here, after i had joined the NAVY, my best friend, who i loved so much never knew that i had joined. Because if i told her she would be devastated. Then one day she just starts telling me she loves me and who she tought we were ment for each other and i just felt obligated to tell her what i had done. After i told her, things were never the same, and i regreted joining. After basic training she just uped and left up north and havent heard from her since then.
Old 05-30-2006
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

FYI: I was told when i was in Boot that you can get out of any military service within 13 months of your signing date. Now that was back in 96/ 97. A guy who had re-enlisted intot he army from the Air Force told me that and then people back at my reserve Unit told me that. Now while in boot, i dont think they will let you quit right there, but you used to be able to do so. SO, just a little thing to look into or ask about, even if you think you are certain this is what you want to do.
Old 06-09-2006
Chicle

Send a message via Yahoo to EquiS

u gonna get screwed over lmfao dont trust anybody who wont let you live free, but wants you to die for "freedom"
Old 06-09-2006
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to MrPinche

my asvab score was 80! i went through my should i join the military phase... good look though... remember keep your head down!
You're an immigrant too.

Who's usin' who?
What should we do?
Well you can't be a pimp
And a prostitute too..." white stripes
Old 06-13-2006
Not Activated!
Gunner

Quote:
Since you made a firm decision already to join the Air Force....I thought you might want to check this info out below:

Over $300 Million in Military Scholarships! Dear Military.com Member,

Did you know that there are over $300 million in scholarships available for veterans, servicemembers and their familes?

That's free money available for you, your spouse, or your children to help pay for a college education. Military.com has brought all of these scholarships together and put them at your finger tips with the improved Scholarhsip Finder. Find yours today.

Search over $300 million military scholarships now
Old 06-13-2006
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to Nelio Send a message via Yahoo to Nelio

$300 million in scholarship money, that is impressive. But i dont know if it is for vets. Maybe vets that make it back in one peice and lserve out their term of service.

There are stories out there right now about people, lately who have gotten badly wounded and were medically discharged from the Military. Yet even though they fought for their country, they served their country, they lost part of themselves for their country, they now get thier education benefits taken away because they did not complete their contract term. How is that fair at all?

As one veitnam vet i interviewed once. He is a offical for vets her in this county, he said something like this, "They went and fought for this country, all we ask is live up to the promises you made to them, take care of them." This was to many of the Veteran Issues that have come up in the past yr.