Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Finance, Business, & Employment

Finance, Business, & Employment Stocks, Bonds, Money Market, Management, Personal Finances; Business Talk, Home Businesses; MLMs; Financial Opportunities; Employment, Help Wanted, Resumes

Old 08-08-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Default Re: Interview Tips/Questions

That's a good way to look at it. Especially, since I think I remember u saying that there was really no way of u moving up in that job even if u had gotten it.

You seem determined and capable so I don't doubt that you will find something, even in this job market.

Suerte!

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 08-08-2011
Mocoso

My two cents.....
back in the days, I got a good job as a sub manager which many people applied for, I never thought I'd get it, the competition was harsh...to cut to the cheese, after a while I learnt that I got the job because I always kept eye contact while interviewed which eventually gave the interviewer the confidence to hire me....
Old 08-08-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Oh yeah, so what do you all do regarding post-interview thank you cards/letters?

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 08-08-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Well, you didn't get the job and they let u know that pretty quick so... fuck em... lol.

You just reminded me that I have to get some tank u cards for the folks that wrote me my letters of rec...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 08-08-2011
Mocoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicanachick View Post
Oh yeah, so what do you all do regarding post-interview thank you cards/letters?
eeerrr...well, I just can say...welcome to the real world?
Old 08-09-2011
Fresh Meat!

Yeah, a blessing in disguise, being unemployed I read the whole damn post to see if I can get any tips, I trend to eff up interviews, like right now I got a call from a medical verification company, but I talked about my ex supervisor what a bitch she was lol, I royaly fucked up but hey maybe that ain't my cup of tea any more, lol I thought about it and was like did I really just say all the shit I wasn't supposed to, wish I would have read this before the call lol
Old 08-09-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

^damn! Lol. Pues para la proxima ya sabes
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
Well, you didn't get the job and they let u know that pretty quick so... fuck em... lol.

You just reminded me that I have to get some tank u cards for the folks that wrote me my letters of rec...
I've decided on a basic thank you email to the person that I had been dealing with mostly, and asking her to forward/share with the other members of the hiring committee that I don't have the emails/addy to and then doing an actual handwritten thank you to my old advisor who was also on the interview committee because he encouraged me to apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puro guanatos View Post
eeerrr...well, I just can say...welcome to the real world?
Huh?

Old 08-14-2011
Travieso

From my experience doing interviews, first and foremost is dress well, not too much make-up or jewelry as it distracts the interviewer, and you want them to zoom in on you and not some big dangling earing lol A nice pair of dress slacks and a nice blouse, or a skirt that goes to at least your knee not above! Comfortable but dressy shoes.

Make eye contact and shake hands firmly, smile and don't offer any information, wait until you've been asked....

I have to agree with those that stated not to mention your weakness but focus more on your strengths... Make sure you mention that you are honest, reliable, hard driven and a team player! They love to hear that lol

Be friendly but professional, and make sure to keep eye contact.... Your voice should be soft, but firm, and take brief pauses to allow what you've said to sink into....and what ever you do don't do all the ummmm sounds before speaking.... its considered very unprofessional and annoying.

I know you didn't get the job, but for your future interviews ....hopefully this will come in handy somewhere down the line.... Oh and keep your hands folded nicely in your lap, good posture and head held high, it makes a statement that you are confident and well posed
Old 08-14-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
I've decided on a basic thank you email to the person that I had been dealing with mostly, and asking her to forward/share with the other members of the hiring committee that I don't have the emails/addy to and then doing an actual handwritten thank you to my old advisor who was also on the interview committee because he encouraged me to apply.
Fuck them all. No reason to send them shit and keep prolonging it. They will read the email, possibly try to recall who you were and say ah okay, and then delete it. I would be very surprised if the main contact would even forward it to anyone.

Question. What do you think was the main reason you were not hired?
Old 08-15-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmanani View Post
Fuck them all. No reason to send them shit and keep prolonging it. They will read the email, possibly try to recall who you were and say ah okay, and then delete it. I would be very surprised if the main contact would even forward it to anyone.

Question. What do you think was the main reason you were not hired?
Yeah I didn't end up sending anything but a thank you card to my old advisor. lol.

Main reason I wasn't hired? I don't think I had enough experience for the position. I would have been in a position of authority with a lot of people of my same age. I think the committee thought it would have been hard for them to accept me as an advisor. And I think I only got an interview because of my old advisor. He probably put in a good word for me to get at least an interview.

Old 08-16-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Thanks Sweets!! <3

I've circulated my resume to some of my connects and will be meeting up for lunch with at least one soon to see if I can get recommended for things.

Of course there isn't wrong to have authority with people my own age, pero in that particular space I think it would have been a detriment. Pero ya que, I'm glad I didn't get it. I can be very well-spoken at times, and at other times, I can be a real dork lol. I'm best at writing things in a professional diction, it's one of my strengths. Speaking is a different story at times :P

Old 08-16-2011
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Quote:
Yeah I didn't end up sending anything but a thank you card to my old advisor. lol.

Main reason I wasn't hired? I don't think I had enough experience for the position. I would have been in a position of authority with a lot of people of my same age. I think the committee thought it would have been hard for them to accept me as an advisor. And I think I only got an interview because of my old advisor. He probably put in a good word for me to get at least an interview.
I'm going with it was your deficient experience versus the 'same age as others' as the main reason. Oh well. McD's is always hiring.
Old 08-17-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmanani View Post
I'm going with it was your deficient experience versus the 'same age as others' as the main reason. Oh well. McD's is always hiring.
They are?!

:runsandapplies:

Old 08-17-2011
Supporter
Veterano

don't dress like you're going to the club

don't wear lotion, cologne, perfume, NADA

eat breakfast so you'll have a good interview

stay positive, smile and be polite

=)