Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Finance, Business, & Employment

Finance, Business, & Employment Stocks, Bonds, Money Market, Management, Personal Finances; Business Talk, Home Businesses; MLMs; Financial Opportunities; Employment, Help Wanted, Resumes

Old 08-02-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Default Interview Tips/Questions

So I'm looking to transition out my current job that was good for when I was finishing school and have been applying to various full time positions. I've been lucky enough to get at least one interview this Friday, and I'm nervous/excited because it's my first real interview (my first two jobs were student jobs so didn't really interview).

I wanted to ask what are some interview tips and questions that you can share for me to prepare for my interview?

Also, since the economy is so bad right now, I think this would be a good thread for those who are unemployed and looking for new tips and what not to get back into the job scene

So come on people, let's share the intellectual/job hunt wealth!

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 08-02-2011
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan
Default Re: Interview Tips/Questions

First, Congrats on the interview.. I'm sure you'll do fabulously!!

Ok couple of tips from a many time job seeker and oft time interviewer.. Some of these may seem like common sense but they bear stating..

1. Fifteen minutes early to your Interview.. No later than 5 minutes early but no more than 15.. More than 15 makes you look desperate. Less than 5 make you look irresponsible.

2. No GUM.. EVER.. Dump the gum before you walk in the door if you need it to freshen the Dragons!!

3. Dress the part: Conservative Business Dress For guys Slacks Long Sleeve Shirt Tie conservative dress shoes and coat if you have it.. Business appropriate suit even better , No Deon Sanders Michael Irvin Type suits.. Conservative is the key.. No loud colors. For women it's trickier but Slacks are good.. no F me heels, mini minis low cut or armless blouses.. Conservative.. Hose if you're wearing a skirt.. Rule of thumb.. if you'd wear it to go clubbing.. prolly not office or work appropriate.

4. Speak the part .. Leave the Slang at home.. Yes and no, Sir and Ma'am, Mister and Ms So and so.. No Uh Huh.. nopes yups ..

5. If offered a beverage or food in the lobby politely decline .. Really cruddy timing when the interviewer comes to get you and you have a bottle water or soda in your hand (looks like you showed up w a drink in tow) or in mid chew of a choc chip cookie. If offered drink during interview decline once, if they insist, ok to say yes,, under no circumstances do you accept food.. some flaws are hard to hide while chowing down.

6. Eye contact and a firm handshake .. a bad first impression is hard to overcome so make a good one. Bad Body language is even harder to overcome.. no slouching .. head up sit up straight arms to the side or hands folded on your lap.. no arm crossing or arm flailing while talking.

7. Back to eye contact.. when speaking and answering questions make eye contact and respond calmly and carefully. Think before you answer but don't be hesitant with your answers. Try not to overshare. It's ok to show your excitement about a particular field or topic, but don't go nuts.

8. Answer all questions honestly directly and succinctly.. Don't bs .. An interviewer who has any experience will generally smell BS so don't put yourself in that position.. if you don't know an answer to a question, or have no experience in an area they ask you about .. say so..

9. Do a little Recon.. Know something about the company who will be hiring you.. Know what they do .. where they are in their industry.. If you can't find info.. Bring it up in the interview "I wasn't able to find out very much about the compnay .. tell me a little more about what my role would be within what we do here at XYZ"

10. Most important RELAX AND BE YOURSELF.

These are by no means everything or always apply .. .. good luck XC Hope this helps

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan

Last edited by ChicanoDan; 08-02-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-02-2011
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ

figures I'd write a long post and it gets lost before it gets posted. Shit.
Old 08-02-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Thanks ChicanoDan! Those will help!

And SJ, I demand you re-write it! Chop chop!

Old 08-02-2011
Maestro

Big time for #9 know about the company. you can google commonly asked questions but if you know the company, does it have a mission, the position you are applying for who will work under you, who will you work under, other offices/departments you may have to work with.

Think up of previous experience that relates to this job, you may need to use it as a reference during the interview when they give a "Tell me about a time when...." question.
Old 08-02-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Yeah, thankfully I'm more than familiar with this employer, it's the department that overlooked the student org I was in/ran. So I know a lot about its mission, etc.

Old 08-02-2011
Gunner

interviews make me nervous but that only happens when i really want the job.....its the ones i careless about that usually call LOL..

Dressing proper is always the first key, then everything else comes later...first impressions are phony but you should be cautious

Good luck!

Last edited by Malicioso; 08-02-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-02-2011
Gunner

Protip: Show cleavage
Old 08-02-2011
Gunner

^
Old 08-02-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

#9 is very key and I was gonna say that, too.

Highlight your strengths but also be able to sell your weaknesses. Like how you are looking to improve etc.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 08-03-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
Dressing proper is always the first key, then everything else comes later...first impressions are phony but you should be cautious

Good luck!
I need to go buy heels lol. but thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKinetic View Post
Protip: Show cleavage
If you were my interviewer Mr. Hyper, I most certainly oblige
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
#9 is very key and I was gonna say that, too.

Highlight your strengths but also be able to sell your weaknesses. Like how you are looking to improve etc.
This is what scares me the most. I'm gonna be working on this the next couple of days because I feel that being able to adequately express these is my biggest hindrance right now.

I spent a couple of hours last night looking only for interview tips and found some good links. I'll post them up when I'm home. It's crunch time! Interview is only about 48 hours away!

Old 08-03-2011
Maestro

Don't say something like procrastinate or tardiness because even if you are working on it this will send some red flags. Also don't say your weakness is you try to hard or something overly cliche, those lines may have worked before but not nowadays.

Be honest about a weakness or better yet state it as, "an opportunity for improvement, saying it is a weakness means that it has become a problem or habit. I like to think of it as an area I need to fine tune. You can't win a race unless you practice and fine tune those opportunities." or something in that line but more your style.

you should be able to google "Greatest weakness interview question" and come up with a lot of answers. Find the one that fits you and tweak it to really fit you.
Old 08-03-2011
Maestro

Yahoo article on dress in the workplace - meant for after you get the job but could be applied for interview - http://shine.yahoo.com/event/poweryo...on-ts-2518505/

Six interview mistakes, another article on the yahoo homepage today - http://career-advice.monster.com/job...rview_mistakes

I especially like #3 Failing to Ask Questions
Old 08-04-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Also, remember that the interview starts as soon as u walk in the door. Make sure to be courteous to any staff there. If it's an office and they are the main assistants to the boss they surely will be asked what their opinions were of u.

I was told this by faculty mentors when I was applying for PhD programs and doing school visits but I think it is a good tip that crosses over to ther fields as well.

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

Old 08-05-2011
Maestro

Today's the day !!

Good Luck XC!!!

― chicanodan
Old 08-05-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Thanks for all the tips everyone!!

My interview was about 3 hours ago, so now it's on to wait to see if they call me for a second interview with the department director. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Old 08-05-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

Good luck!!

I'm sure u did well today.

Old 08-06-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Actually I did not.

I was pretty bummed about it, but then I drowned my sorrows away with some long island iced teas and realized there will be many failures before I achieve success. 'Pa la proxima.

Old 08-06-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

What do u feel went not-so-well?

Old 08-06-2011
Gunner

i hate the long waits after the interviews...

that's about the time when you start thinking about every possible reason how you could of fuck it up!

if they don't call you, dont feel so badd though...you just gotta keep trying, you still young! if it makes you feel better..i've failed many interviews and i'm doing alright.

Last edited by Malicioso; 08-06-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-07-2011
Mocoso

Perfect timing. I'm just about to have my first official job interview in a few days and this definitely helps.
Old 08-08-2011
Maestro

How not to get hired: Bring your cockatoo to the interview

Kinda funny

― chicanodan
Old 08-08-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomNow View Post
What do u feel went not-so-well?
Cause the same day they emailed me and told me I wouldn't be getting a second interview

Oh you said what. Haha. I failed to take into account that a lot of the tips posted here and in online articles/searches were mostly full of tips that didn't apply to the job I was applying to. They asked a lot of questions that I should have anticipated, which were applicable to the space that I would have had to work in. Basically I didn't take advantage of people I knew in the office to prep. Oh well, now I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicioso View Post
i hate the long waits after the interviews...

that's about the time when you start thinking about every possible reason how you could of fuck it up!

if they don't call you, dont feel so badd though...you just gotta keep trying, you still young! if it makes you feel better..i've failed many interviews and i'm doing alright.
Thanks. I was feeling pretty bummed the day of but then felt better with help from a friend. lol.

I was kind of reaching to get this job, because while I think I would have done well, now I see I probably didn't have enough applicable experience for the position. C'est la vie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by niaV View Post
Perfect timing. I'm just about to have my first official job interview in a few days and this definitely helps.
Yay!! Congrats and good luck to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicanoDan View Post

edit: oh it's a link. lol.

Last edited by xicanachick; 08-08-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-08-2011
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

That's unfortunate. Pero solo asi se aprende de adeveras.

Old 08-08-2011
Miss Mod
Veterano

Pues si. As I was on the bus this morning coming to work, tambien pense how I've spent the last six years trying to get out of UCLA and its bubble, and then I applied for a job that would have kept me in it?! Sufficient to say I now believe that not getting the job is a blessing in disguise. On to the next!