Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Learning Center > Finance, Business, & Employment

Finance, Business, & Employment Stocks, Bonds, Money Market, Management, Personal Finances; Business Talk, Home Businesses; MLMs; Financial Opportunities; Employment, Help Wanted, Resumes

Old 06-25-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

Send a message via Yahoo to SJ
Default Most American's hate their jobs

I don't expect everyone to love their job but I do expect everyone to constantly be working towards getting a job they do like. I do understand that in today's economy, you should be thankful to even have a job. But what I don't understand is how some people aren't even trying to improve their current job situation or make any effort to work towards a job they would enjoy.

There are however good exceptions. If you are working at a crappy job but making a ton of cash which lets you do activities that you love doing then I can understand that.

Most American's Unhappy At Work
Quote:
Only 30 percent of American employees feel engaged or inspired at their jobs and the vast majority of U.S. workers -- 70 percent -- are not reaching their full potential, a Gallup study concluded.

The 2013 State of the American Workplace Report estimates that widespread disinterest and unhappiness in the office is not only affecting company performance, but is costing the U.S. $450 billion to $550 billion a year.

Through thousands of questionnaires sent to employees, Gallup determined whether America's 100 million full-time workers were "engaged," "not engaged" or "actively disengaged" at their jobs.

Those who were "engaged" said they are passionate about their work and feel a connection to their company -- they are responsible for the most innovation within their organization. Those who were "not engaged" act "checked out"; although they put time and effort into their work, they don't have energy or passion. While 30 percent said they were engaged, about half of Americans (52 percent) fall into the latter category.

And those who are "actively disengaged" aren't just unhappy -- they act out their unhappiness by undermining what their engaged coworkers accomplish. Gallup found that 18 percent of Americans feel this way about their job.

The study also found that organizations that are hiring have nearly four times more satisfied employees than companies that are letting go of workers.

Popular -- and oftentimes expensive -- strategies to boost work morale, like ping pong tables and catered meals, aren't really helping either, according to Gallup. The report concluded that the mood at the office comes from the top down; if managers focused on their employees strengths more, the study estimates, they could double the average of U.S. workers who have strong performance.

"Here's something they'll probably never teach you in business school: The single biggest decision you make in your job -- bigger than all of the rest -- is who you name manager," wrote Gallup CEO and Chairman Jim Clifton.

Being able to work from home may also help a company's output. Gallup found that on average, those who worked remotely logged 46 hours a week -- compared to on-site employees, who logged in an average of 42 hours a week.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...te-their-jobs/

Last edited by SJ; 06-25-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2013
Veterano

Default Re: Most American's hate their jobs

I think people dont like their jobs because:
they are expected to work - don't like working for "the Man"
the people they work with - too much drama
don't feel appreciated
have to spend time away from loved ones - children

So why not look for something that will at least satisfy something that helps you be somewhat happy?

Maybe its because of the fear of the unknown.

Its hard to just pack up and leave - its hard to be the new kid on the block again.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Last edited by LaChavela; 06-25-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-25-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaChavela View Post
Maybe its because of the fear of the unknown.

Its hard to just pack up and leave - its hard to be the new kid on the block again.
I can feel a bit of compassion for unhappy workers. It's not easy. But neither is life.

But the types of people that tick me off are those who have made it a habit to always complain about their current work situation. By either constantly complaining about their job to people(and or social networks) or just doing a shitty job.

Everyone is allowed to vent. It's only normal to have bad days. But when people make it a habit to complain about their job and not taking any steps to improve their life, that is what ticks me off.

I don't want to hear it and I doubt even those who are closer to these people care either.

Life is just way too short.
Old 06-28-2013
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post
I can feel a bit of compassion for unhappy workers. It's not easy. But neither is life.

But the types of people that tick me off are those who have made it a habit to always complain about their current work situation. By either constantly complaining about their job to people(and or social networks) or just doing a shitty job.

Everyone is allowed to vent. It's only normal to have bad days. But when people make it a habit to complain about their job and not taking any steps to improve their life, that is what ticks me off.

I don't want to hear it and I doubt even those who are closer to these people care either.

Hope I didn't bitch too much to you while I was unemployed

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 06-28-2013
Site Admin
Presidente

you complaining? didn't even notice.
Old 06-29-2013
Miss Mod
Veterano

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 06-29-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ View Post

OMG! if it isn't their job they are complaining about its something else.

I hate complainers...

Am I complaining about complainers???

LOL

But yeah, if you do not like your current condition - being work or other stuff - then find the courage to change it. Life is too short to just settle.

The only thing in life you can change is you.
'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand -chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'
Old 06-29-2013
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Easier said than done.
Old 06-30-2013
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Easier said than done.
So true!!
But little by little
you can do it!

I did...and its like falling off a cliff...but it can be done

Living life is scary, only the courageous survive to laugh about it.
Old 07-20-2013
Veterano

i can completely understand why so many people hate their jobs. Most people have shitty jobs that they are not passionate about and that really arent all that important. So if you know that more than half your time existing is spent doing something pretty worthless, how does one not begin to feel worthless themselves? Thats why I never look down on prostitutes. I've whored myself out just as much as they have.

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee