Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity > Genealogy

Genealogy Anything related to Genealogy.

Old 12-11-2007
Estudiante

Default More Tips for doing Genealogy

Whenever you are doing your research make sure you ABSOLUTELY WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN! I mean the time the date, who the information source was and include the film number, batch number, and any other pertinent information. The reason being is that if you do not then you will forget. Trust me I know, I've done it!

Also, and I really cannot stress this enough, VERIFY VERIFY VERIFY!!!!

You have to verify your sources and make sure they are primary sources of information.

Also always keep files on different family members because after a while it will otherwise get to big and overwhelming to handle if you don't. That in combination with a family tree maker software or other kind of genealogy software will help you keep it all in order.

Plus make sure you even keep the tidbits of info you find because it may not help you now but it could help you later or you may find yourself coming back to it and realize that you came across it way in the beginning when you first started but you didn't realize it then that it was what you were looking for.

Also study the history of your ancestors area they lived and if in the US the history for that time period or if not in the US then the time period for that place they lived. It will help you figure out a lot of things that you otherwise may not realize.

EHP