Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Identity > Genealogy

Genealogy Anything related to Genealogy.

Old 12-12-2007
Estudiante

Default The Trials and Tribulations of Genalogy

When you are doing genealogy you will almost always at some point, run into snags and or obstacles.
Remember the reason behind writing everything down and keeping many notes even if it is something small is this......

You may come across a bit of info that you don't think is anything and then a year or two down the line that small bit of info is the key to what your looking for.

Plus you always end up coming back to something, so it is in your best interest to keep really good notes and files on individuals, families, etc.

Really it's like a jigsaw and a mystery puzzle combined. And you will do it for a while then stop and the pick it up again and so on. That is how it is going to go. The main thing is not to quit because you hit a snag. And sometimes there are others who will be able to help you. It could be in the form of another person or a genealogical society or an historian who specializes in the specific thing your looking for, or even a distant relative you met online while doing your searches.

One thing to remember is this........ When doing your genealogy always be careful because there are some people out there who will be nice to you and want you to send them a copy of your info and then after the fact they don't contact you anymore. Basically they just used you for your info and then went on to something else so you need to watch for that. It happened to me once and I learned from it. So I am telling you to try to save you the headache of being pissed off at somebody.

A great resource for info and books is usually a genealogical society. They usually have a membership fee and usually sell many materials. Later I am going to include a list of them for people to see and join if they wish.

There are going to be times where you spend a bunch of time getting nowhere or at least feeling like it and the one day you find what your looking for. Written records can sometimes be sketchy and sometimes it can be hard to read the writing, especially if you are looking up census and church records. I remember looking up one church's records and there were two different priests and I could read one's handwriting quite easily while the second one I had a very hard time. Plus you search records long enough and you start to recognize the handwriting and you know who wrote the record your looking at. Also a lot of the time, since they are written by the priest there are mistakes or maybe your ancestors lied about their age or something else. It does happen and so you have to figure out what is truth and what is not.

Plus given the fact that a lot of Spanish/Mexican names are the same for many people, you have to make sure you got the right ancestor. Two totally different people could have the same exact name and you won't know it until way after the fact. Plus it is good to also work on the families that tie into yours as they will sometimes yield clues to something in your family.

There are a lot of ups and downs and highs and lows in doing genealogy but over all it is quite fun at times. Good luck! EHP
Old 12-12-2007
Gunner

Send a message via MSN to GG_Drea Send a message via Yahoo to GG_Drea
Default Re: The Trials and Tribulations of Genalogy

That's what im in the middle of. I'm trying to research my mom's bio side and it has been difficult and interesting at the same time
Old 12-12-2007
Estudiante

Default Re: The Trials and Tribulations of Genalogy

Well if I am not being too nosey or anything maybe I can help a little..... Let me know. EHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG_Drea View Post
That's what im in the middle of. I'm trying to research my mom's bio side and it has been difficult and interesting at the same time