Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Chicano Movement

Chicano Movement Share information relating to The Chicano Movement

Old 10-15-2014
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default 5 Types of “Conscious” People in the Movement To Avoid If You Want To Grow

The people in the movement who claim are “consciousness” are in a “thought trap”. There are few original thinkers with a large amount of mindless followers. The so called “conscious” people in the community are individuals promoting and defending ideologies instead of pushing the boundaries of what they know and believe to bring us to a place where we can unite beyond labels. These part of the movement has become like any other religion or belief system; no thought required.

There are more people talking about what we should be doing in our communities than there are those who are doing anything to help our communities. There are numerous people asking for solutions than there are people being those solutions we need. These people in the movement will be the first to attack you for thinking outside the box, claiming that it’s white washed, eurocentric, which is why it’s called a “thought trap”. It has become the new religion for people who have walked away from the “old” one that their parents practiced. However, like all old religions, it too, has become a prison for the thinking mind.

Just like in any “ism(o)”, to be accepted by peers in the movement, you have to think, believe, and regurgitate the same old information that everyone else does…oh and say Mexica Tiahui at the beginning and end of every conversation. You have to be like everyone else, though claiming to be “counter-culture”, or you will be made to feel that there is something wrong with you. You don’t fit because you have the audacity to think something that has not been approved by these groups or by so called “elders”. (The “elder” issue will be another article in the future.)

You get told that you shouldn’t think like that or do that that you start to become like them. It was not until I stopped caring about what these people thought of me that I began to expand. Just like in any school, your goal is to advance to the next level. In the “conscience” movement, you are not advancing if you are just repeating the same information, and tearing down those who are at least trying to push the conversation forward.

Here are a few people I’ve encountered on my journey, and suggest you avoid:

The Debater
These people are not about accomplishing anything; their only purpose is to argue, and to have an audience applaud to their ability to spew useless facts. They get off by arguing points that really don’t mean anything: What we should call ourselves? What religion the people should be? Who really built the pyramids? What kind of huaches did Cuauhtemoc wear? It really doesn’t matter to them. Their goal is to debate, refute, and counter anything you say, all while accomplishing nothing. You could say something as simple as “water is wet” and they will start debating about how dry ice was invented by the Toltecs in a secret chamber under a Pyramid in 1100 AD. Avoid these people. You can’t win their game because their game is to get you to respond to them so they can keep talking. You talking to them reassures them that their points are valid since you spent effort to say something. While you are talking in circles trying to prove your point…what are you really doing? Drop your knowledge, then walk away.

The Regurgitator
This person incapable of forming an original thought. They are just happy to be a part of something. They simply regurgitate information that they have read or heard from someone else. Usually, it’s information from an “elder”, people with questionable past. This person will not dig or do original research to present the community with something new. That’s way too much work for the regurgitator. They get off by telling us over and over and over again how we are Nican Tlaca. Just pat them on the head, tell them “thank you”, then walk away.

The One Upper
These people are the worst. No matter what you can say, this person will “one up” you. You could say you have been in the movement for 10 years. That means nothing to them, because they have been in the movement for 15 and can tell you how to do it better. If you’ve read and studied 100 old documents and codices, they’ve read and studied 1,000. Do yourself a favor, just walk away.

The Little Macana

This is the most dangerous, and counter productive. No matter what you say or do, this person has to find something wrong with it, then proceed to tear you down. For example, the community you’re in could started a program in which we use resources, donated by our community, to provide food and clothing for any disaster. That’s not good enough for the Little Macana. A Little Macana suggested that instead of giving them food, we should be teaching them how to provide their own food. That’s a great idea, Little Macana! You should come here, and do what you suggested. Naturally, the Little Macana will not. The only job of a Little Macana is to cut down whatever YOU are doing. I suggest you RUN away from them. They will cause you to have doubts about what you are doing. (keyword: doing)

The “Mexica Tiahuiers”

These people are hilarious. Mexica Tiahui. Mexica Tiahui. Ok, what other words in Nahuatl do you know besides Mexica Tiahui? How do you say, “learn a few more words of Nahuatl” in Nahuatl? If you are going to speak a language, go all out. Learn more than two words. Do these people realize that Mexica Tiahui is grammatic wrong along being “lets go” instead of “forward”.? Why not say, “Tayacana Mexica”. What about the other dialects of Nahuatl or perhaps the other languages within your family’s region? That would make more sense, because if you are going to fake like you know a language, the least you can do is choose one that was most likely spoken by your ancestors.

If you’re lazy to read all that, then go with this:
  • THINK for yourself! (can’t stress this enough)
  • Avoid the type of people above.
  • Do research (and when I mean research, I mean actual research, go to the actual sources, not what the top 10 results are on google).

Thank you…and Mexica Tiahui.

An adaption to “5 Types of “Conscious” Black People To Avoid If You Want To Grow”
Old 10-22-2014
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero
Default Re: 5 Types of “Conscious” People in the Movement To Avoid If You Want To Grow

Which one are you?
Old 10-23-2014
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: 5 Types of “Conscious” People in the Movement To Avoid If You Want To Grow

I written the article so none.
Old 10-23-2014
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero

You're the grammatically incorrect one?
Old 10-24-2014
Veterano

Exclamation Re: 5 Types of “Conscious” People in the Movement To Avoid If You Want To Grow

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn them, they outvoted me" - Nathaniel Lee
Old 10-28-2014
Chicle

Lol.
#OnPoint
Old 10-30-2014
The one and only
Presidente

I never undestood hashtags on soy.
Old 01-13-2015
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Send a message via Yahoo to QMX

You forgot the "Intellectual Masturbators who don't put in any work" or "Fake Intellectuals who Plagiarize others Work and Pass it Off as Their Own" Types.
Old 01-13-2015
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMX View Post
You forgot the "Intellectual Masturbators who don't put in any work" or "Fake Intellectuals who Plagiarize others Work and Pass it Off as Their Own" Types.
Like you copying and pasting what your friend Manuel Nanahuatl said that I have quoted.
Old 01-13-2015
Vainglorius Humility
Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Like you copying and pasting what your friend Manuel Nanahuatl said that I have quoted.
Plagiarizing is different from quoting. Quoting actually acknowledges the original creator of the content.
Old 01-13-2015
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
An adaption to “5 Types of “Conscious” Black People To Avoid If You Want To Grow”
I have quoted and sourced where I got the writing from.
Old 01-13-2015
Vainglorius Humility
Director

You got me there spidey.
Old 01-14-2015
Gunner

“Would you like to save the world from the degradation and destruction it seems destined for? Then step away from shallow mass movements and quietly go to work on your own self-awareness. If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself. If you want to eliminate the suffering in the world, then eliminate all that is dark and negative in yourself. Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.”

― Lao Tzu