Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Chicano Movement

Chicano Movement Share information relating to The Chicano Movement

Old 02-05-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Reies Lopez Tijerina makes rare appearance

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_19875597

NM Chicano movement figure makes rare appearance

SANTA FE, N.M.—Reies Lopez Tijerina, a controversial figure who helped launch the Chicano Movement after leading an armed raid of a New Mexico courthouse over Hispanic land rights, made a rare appearance Thursday.

Resting in a wheelchair and using an oxygen machine, the 85-year-old Tijerina went to an event marking the anniversary of the signing of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which ended the Mexican War in 1848.

Tijerina has often contended that the U.S. government stole millions of acres from Latinos following the war. The United States pledged in the treaty to respect private land holdings, including land grants made under the Spanish and Mexican governments.

However, the U.S. government didn't recognize many of those grants in New Mexico and courts have routinely turned away complaints made by displaced Hispanic families.

Speaking to an audience of ranchers and curious onlookers at the New Mexico Statehouse Rotunda, Tijerina urged activists to keep fighting. He also talked about his role in bringing the Spanish land grant conflict into the public's eye and the 1967 armed raid of a Rio Arriba County courthouse.

"I went in for God," said the former Pentecostal preacher, using Biblical references throughout his speech. "My Raza was filled with fear."

Tijerina and followers raided the courthouse in Tierra Amarilla, N.M., to attempt a citizen's arrest of then-District Attorney Alfonso Sanchez after eight members of Tijerina's
group had been arrested a few days earlier.

Sanchez wasn't at the courthouse at the time, but during the raid, the group shot and wounded a state police officer and jailer, beat a deputy and took the then-sheriff and a reporter hostage. They later escaped.

The hunt for the raiders even involved the National Guard. Tijerina eventually spent about three years in prison.

But the raid sparked excitement among Mexican-American college students in California and Texas who identified with Tijerina's message of Latinos getting displaced and wronged in violation of the treaty and basic law, said Tatcho Mindiola, director of the Center for Mexican American Studies at the University of the Houston.

Tijerina's image began to appear on murals in Texas and California and he became a sought-after speaker on college campuses.

"He brought out a sentiment that resonated with a lot of people," Mindiola said. "In that respect, despite the tactics he used, he's going down in history."

Thursday was also the 49th anniversary of Tijerina's founding of La Alianza, a group organized to represent the heirs of Spanish land-grants in New Mexico covered by the treaty. The group sent letters to federal officials about treaty violations and eventually grew to around 20,000 members.

Tijerina's appearance brought out some of his longtime critics who say his violent raid hurt Hispanic families he aimed to help and who contend that his later speeches were tainted by anti-Semitism tirades.

Michael Olivas, a Santa Fe resident and law professor at the University of Houston, said his cousin, Eulogio Salazar, the courthouse jailer who was shot in the cheek during raid, was later killed by Tijerina's men. Salazar testified in a court hearing that the shooter was Tijerina, but that case never made it to trial after Salazar was found dead.

Tijerina was later convicted of assault on Salazar.

Still, Hispanic New Mexico ranchers say Tijerina's legacy gave them the confidence to recently file a lawsuit against the U.S. Forest Service over its decision to limit grazing on historic land grant areas in northern New Mexico.

David Sanchez, 52, a rancher just north of Espanola, N.M., said ranchers are now educated enough to see how issues like grazing rights are connected to provisions of the treaty.

"It's not just a grazing issue," he said. "It's about access to roads. It's about our way of life."

Hector Chavana, publisher of the Houston-based bilingual newspaper, El Pueblo, said Tijerina's legacy also goes beyond land grant issues. He sees him as a figure who motivates young Latino activists because his message about fighting discrimination and aggressively correcting past injustices still strikes cords.

"All Malcolm X did was talk," Chavana said. "Tijerina acted by any means necessary."

Tijerina disputed news that he was "withering away somewhere over there in Mexico" or that he "ran away" after he moved south of the border and limited his public appearances.

"But I'm here after many years," said Tijerina, who now lives in El Paso, Texas, with his third wife.
Old 03-24-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Reies Lopez Tijerina makes rare appearance

Reies Lopez Tijerina will make appearances in Southern California from Tuesday, March 27 to Sunday, April 1, 2012. Keep an eye out.

*update*

He'll appear at the LEAD Summit on Wednesday, March 28, 2012 from 8 a.m. to 5:00 pm. Free to attend, but registration is recommended.

He'll be at Avenue 50 Studio in Highland Park on Thursday, March 29th at 6:00 pm.

Other locations will be CSU Fullerton, UCR and Placita Olvera. Keep an eye out for the dates.

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 03-24-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Alright, someone release the list:

Wednesday, March 28, 2012
4:20 p.m. at the Latino Education Advocacy Days (LEAD) Summit at California State University, San Bernardino.
The summit is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and is free to attend. Advance registration is recommended, but walk-ins are welcome. http://leadsummit.csusb.edu/

Thursday, March 29, 2012
California State University, Fullerton 12 p.m. - 3 p.m.

Thursday, March 29, 2012
UCR Chicano Student Programs Humanities 1500
6:00 p.m.-7:30pm Free and Open to the Public
University of California, Riverside

Friday, March 30, 2012
Coachella, California, Private home event
6:00p.m.-8:00 p.m. Contact: Ruben Gonzales (760) 275-7958

Saturday, March 31, 2012
Chican@s Unidos de Orange County, Private home, Santa Ana, CA 1 p.m.- 3 p.m. Contact: Albert Martinez: (714) 933-0189

Saturday, March 31, 2012
Mexican Cultural Institute, Placita Olvera, Downtown Los Angeles 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. Contact: Armando Vasquez-Ramos: (562) 972-0986

Mark your calendar and join us as we give a warm, southern Califas welcome to a living historic, Chicano legend.

Part of our RLT fund-raising effort includes the selling of limited edition posters of Reies Lopez Tijerina, signed & numbered by Reies and the artist, for $25 each. (See attached image). The printing is limited to a run of 120 posters. Reserve yours now.

For Tijerina historical reference, please check out YouTube video: Chicano! PBS Documentary - Quest For A Homeland.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHQ4XS-DrqM

Gracias y Adelante!
For more information, contact: Armando Cepeda (951) 313-1833

I went to the one in Santa Ana. I shook Reies's hand and even shown him his hard to find Spanish copy of his autobiography. He got too excited and spoke how he haven't seen a copy of the book in years. He even signed the book.

Sadly, I didn't have my camera and only had my cell phone. I don't have the things I need to extract it from my cell phone right now and they're in my storage. Will go to my storage and upload them tomorrow.

Last edited by tecpaocelotl; 04-03-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Photos of what happened in Santa Ana:

After they spoke, his wife said he is getting too excited to talk so she let everyone go one by one to talk with him.

Jia took these pics of me:

I went in hoping to get my book autographed by him. When I shown him, he got so excited. He said he hasn't seen that book in years.

For those who haven't seen the book:

A rare copy that I'm glad I saved.

His autograph:

Old 04-03-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Very cool Tec. But come on, resize the pics! lol.

It's supposed to be hard - if it wasn't hard everyone would do it.
The hard, is what makes it great.

- Jimmy Dugan; A League of Their Own

Old 04-03-2012
The one and only
Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicanachick View Post
Very cool Tec. But come on, resize the pics! lol.
Get a larger monitor. LOL.
Old 04-03-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpaocelotl View Post
Get a larger monitor. LOL.

Old 04-04-2012
The one and only
Presidente

I resized them, but now they're only 1/4 of the size of my monitor.
Old 04-04-2012
Miss Mod
Veterano

But they look perfect on my laptop!

Old 04-04-2012
ಠ_ರೃ
Veterano

Damn check out that boss signature. Not giving any fucks.
Old 04-05-2012
Abstinent Attitude
Presidente

That's dope...

...freedom's not a gift received from a State or a leader but a possession to be won every day by the effort of each and the union of all - Albert Camus

In the belly of misery convulses the fetus of rebellion - Ricardo Flores Magon
Old 01-20-2015
The one and only
Presidente

bump