Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Chicano Movement

Chicano Movement Share information relating to The Chicano Movement

Old 08-07-2009
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Con Safos (c/s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestino View Post
there is a good chapter on C/S in the book Drink Cultura but haven't read it since...well this post was made lol
I let someone borrow that book around the same time and haven't seen it since. LOL.
Old 08-12-2009
Prospect

cool.......
Old 08-22-2011
Supporter
Veterano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNH View Post
Repost...
  • Carlos wrote..
    http://www.serratowebpage.com/terms.htm

What is Con Safos?

In a book by Jose Antonio Burciaga, "Drink Cultura", the author describes this term and it's origin as:

"At one time or another many of us have seen the c/s sign-off on Chicano 'placas' and graffitti in the Southwest or Midwest. It's a very common Chicano symbol but its true origin and significance is nebulous. It is not a Mexican symbol but a Chicano, a Mexican-American, sysmbol. Its origin is unknown but, like the 'Pachuco', it probably originated in South El Paso's 'Segundo Barrio'. The c/s sign-off means 'con safos', and translates literally as "with safety." It was meant as a safety precaution, a barrio copyright, patent pending. No one else could use or dishonor the grafitti. It was an honorable code of conduct, a literary imprimatur. Like saying "amen," it ended discussion. Above all, it meant, "anything you say against me will bounce back to you."Most kids respected a 'placa' if signed off with the c/s. Without that symbol, a placa would sooner or later get scribbled on or erased. Some kids would put a double c/s sign or put xxx after it, or a skull and cross bones, which physically threatened anyone who did not honor and respect the code. The closest possible Spanish word from which safos could have come would be 'safo' from 'safar', or 'safado', which translates to slip or slipped. This is a plausible definitoin since the c/s is meant to let insults slip off, to protect and shield from attacks. In a game of marbles, Chicano kids used the word 'safis' if they let the marble slip before shooting it in the right direction. By saying safis the marble shooter was allowed to try again. Some Chicanos will also end a placa, graffitti, with the message 'con o sin safos', which means that with or without safety, with or without this code, whether you like it or not, whether you insult me back or not, this placa, insult or praise, stands."

My domain chicanismo.org has been messing up alot lately, I own alot of domains but this one has been going wrong with me for the past year or so, it would resolve alot to play-asia.com, I finally got tired of it and pulled the plug on chicanismo.org and all the writings I've put and only linked to certain people. So I bought consafos.org which should be the new home for it, I think of it as a temporary home for chicanismo.org but we'll never know.

We were talking about this in the soy chat and someone had asked what the meaning of consafos is, so here we go.
^I miss him.
Old 08-22-2011
Mocoso

Never seen that before, then again I'm only 16, I'm gonna try to bring it back
Old 08-22-2011
Supporter
Veterano

^and NEVER stop bringing it back, okay?

=)
Old 08-23-2011
Maestro

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicanoDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNH View Post
I am glad you mentioned this, it reminds me to continue working on adding a Caló Dictionary to this site. Thank you.

Good question. I have not seen that used but I am curious to know.

I have seen T/S/R(Todos Somos Raza) but not C/S/R. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.
Ok so it only took me 6 years to enlighten but here goes..

C/S/R or R - C/S

C/S as we all know now is Con Safos.. but the r? the R means business..

R is Rifa.. as in Rifa - Con / Safos or Con / Safos / Rifamos

Rifa or rifamos giving added power to the already powerful C/S kind of like the Sin o Con Safos

Rifa in this instance would be stating that what I just tagged or acabo de placear ...Rifa.. period.. it rules.. there is no other opinion por que mi placa Rifa .. con Safos (R- C/S).. or Chingen su madre por que Con Safos Rifamos (C/S/R)...

Not something u see any more ..

"Unless she's being a total twat... Nothing rare or beautiful about that"
― chicanodan
Old 08-23-2011
Supporter
Veterano

dayum

i just go wet
Old 09-13-2011
Mocoso

I think I'm gonna try to start putting that after every post from now on, it might be overusing and cheapening it, but meh

c/s
Old 09-13-2011
Supporter
Veterano

I beg to differ.