Soy Chicano Forums

Go Back   Soy Chicano Forums > Identity/Culture/Race/Religion > Chicano Movement

Chicano Movement Share information relating to The Chicano Movement

Old 06-18-2005
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Jose Montoya

A person I looked up who was there during the Chicano Movement. I met him the first time when I was about 14 or 15 (I can't remember.).

Found this online for those who don't know who he is:

GUIDE TO THE
JOSE MONTOYA PAPERS
1969-2001
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH

Josť Montoya is one of the premiere cultural activists in the Chicano movement. Born in New Mexico but having grown up in central California, he witnessed the struggle for migrant farm workers rights first hand. His involvement with organized labor, his collaboration with Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers movement, was only the beginning of Montoya's lifelong commitment to artistic inquiry and an unwavering dedication to artistic activism. Montoya co-founded one of the ground-breaking Chicano Art Collections in 1970, a group that came to be known as the Royal Chicano Air Force. The RCAF set the standard for using art as a tool of Chicano historical exposition and education for young people. Although recently retired, he continues his involvement with the movement and its artists.

A multi faceted artist, Montoya is the author of three collections of poetry, including the highly acclaimed In Formation: 20 Years of Joda. He is featured in over 40 anthologies.

Making his start soon after the Korean War when he entered San Diego City College as an art student, Montoya later transferred to the California College of Arts & Crafts in Oakland California. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1962. He began his career by teaching High School until he earned his MA in 1971, at California State University of Sacramento. He then taught for 25 years in the Department of Art Education at CSUS.

Montoya is also a noted painter, muralist, musician and graphic artist. He has exhibited internationally in Cuba, Mexico & Paris, as well as all over the United States. Montoya is known most famously for his works as a poet, and has given readings at top universities around the United States and abroad. Montoya's influence over several generations of Chicano poets cannot be underestimated. His use of Spanish, English and barrio slang poetry can be seen in the styles of countless Chicano writers who followed him.
Montoya is also known as a founding member of the musical group, Trio Casindio, and for his involvement in the 1974 program called Art in the Barrios. As part of the program, he worked with young and old to create art in the form of posters and murals.
Old 09-26-2013
The one and only
Presidente

Send a message via AIM to tecpaocelotl Send a message via MSN to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Yahoo to tecpaocelotl Send a message via Skype™ to tecpaocelotl
Default Re: Jose Montoya

From Richard Montoya's facebook page:

Quote:
Our beloved Father JOSE ERNESTO MONTOYA, a great father, world renowned artist, poet laureate, musico, social activist and founder of the Royal Chicano Air Force (RCAF) peacefully passed away today in his home in Sacramento, California at 4:50PM under brilliant blue Valley skies. Surrounded by devoted sons and daughters who loved him without condition in a room filled with prayer, light, love and the quiet strums of his favorite guitarra. According to Jose's wishes a private ceremony was held for immediate familia at the moment of his passing. We ask that our need to grieve privately be respected. Don Jose was a man who lived and died with great dignity and courage. A public memorial and celebration of his extraordinary life will be planned for the near future.
El es Dios. Con/Safos The Montoya's!
Not sure if others have personal thoughts. I remember the first time meeting him at the age of 14 or 15. I still remember. He called me el cookie monster bc I was always eating cookies at the chicano spiritual retreat. At 16, I was getting interest in history and would pick up any book regardless of reliability. The one book he saw me have was The Aztec. Anyway, he took me to the side and explained to me that, in a polite tactful manner, that the book was fiction written by a white guy who would only romanticize our history with a bias. He continue to by saying, not many people write in the view of us. He had a book in his bag. I don't remember the entire title, but Aztlan was one of the words. He let me borrow it for the weekend. I was worried of "borrowing it" and never giving it back that i tried to speed read the book. The next year he called me el scholar. That was the last time I saw him...
Old 09-26-2013
Maestro

Send a message via AIM to Lamberto Quintero
Default Re: Jose Montoya

That's my homie from Sacramento, good people RIP

The RCAF was very dope, I took the silkscreening class from Ricardo favela before he passed away

Last edited by Lamberto Quintero; 09-26-2013 at 01:05 PM.